Isaac
Years ago

Confirmed: Ervin to return to the Hawks

I wondered in another thread the other day whether Ervin returning to the Hawks could be on the cards, and Boti's written that he thinks it's likely. Could give Wollongong a decent roster with one import spot to go.

Edit: It's now confirmed.

Basketball nomad Gary Ervin is heading back to his old stomping ground after signing a one-year contract with the Wollongong Hawks.

Ervin starred with the Hawks in the 2010-11 season, becoming the club's first NBL MVP in 30 years and averaging a league-best 20.1 points per game.
'Someone of Gary’s experience being available, for us to get back to the club is obviously a fantastic coup for us. He’s been at the club before, he knows Wollongong, he knows our system, even though it’s evolved a fair bit. He knows his teammates and we felt that was an important thing, especially when he’s going to be running the team and point guard spot.’’
More at Illawarra Mercury

Topic #35020 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

awesome if it is true

Reply #485412 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't want him

Reply #485416 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

I think its on the cards but more on the Hawks terms than in the past.

Reply #485421 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

With the departure of Rhys this puts a lot of pressure on the Import PG / Ervin.

Hope he is up to it.

Wollongong deserve more success.

Reply #485428 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

Gary needs to stay in NBL. He is the bad boy, the villain, the character this league needs.

Reply #485443 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

A lot of people here really don't get how good he is!

Reply #485445 | Report this post

Coeezy  
Years ago

I think people overly criticise him since he's an import. He does a lot more good things than bad.

Reply #485449 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Yea im a fan, would have happily had Ervin back at the 36ers. Glad to see him stay in the NBL.

Reply #485450 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I hope he stays and is he considering citizenship?

That would make him even more valuable to clubs.

Great pick up if they can get him.

He may be the villain the league needs but personally I love the guy and think he deserves the plaudits he gets

Reply #485466 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

He's a bloody good player, and perfect for the Hawks with Davidson, Ballinger, Forman and Coenraad on the arc, he just isn't perfect - how dare he?!

Reply #485471 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great player to watch and Gordie will get more out of him.

Reply #485543 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Id love it if he stayed and considered citizenship. He could be the 3rd point guard off the bench for the Boomers in 2016 no problems.

Reply #485545 | Report this post

Silencer83  
Years ago

GWB, I think you are dreaming. Mills, Exum, Dellavedova are the locks if fit for PG and someone like Gibson who will be 30 in 2016 and has been in the national program would be easily ahead of a 33 year old undersized naturalised guard who only plays one end of the court.

Reply #485557 | Report this post

BMF  
Years ago

Ervin is not up to boomer std, but man, having him back is cool if true.

Reply #485560 | Report this post

Silencer83  
Years ago

I agree BMF, gives us here in Perth a ready made villian to psychologically torture :D

Reply #485561 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Interesting question re Ervin being Boomers standard. Dontaye Draper and EJ Rowland have both performed well at international level, are they above Ervin's standard?

I think some people overestimate the level of players in international competitions. Some of them are superstars, and some exceptionally good big men, but the majority of others would not be out of place in the NBL.

Reply #485562 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Having said all that, I wouldn't pick him in the Australian team for Rio! Mills and Exum will already cover his skillset very nicely indeed, so the other guard spot (apart from Delly) needs to be for a different type of player.

Reply #485563 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Do we really think Ervin wants to be naturalised though? To me, he bleeds NYC and is just over here to get paid and live in a nice country.

Reply #485564 | Report this post

kobe24  
Years ago

At his height, and his age if he wants to get paid to play basketball, eventually he will have to naturalise to keep getting gigs. Such thing as a joint citizenship...

Reply #485581 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

He's said he wants to be naturalised, if he actually means it and has started the process is another thing.

Reply #485582 | Report this post

BMF  
Years ago

I like the dude, but why would we look at him as a Boomer when we clearly go deep enough in that area.

Cool when he returns tho, gives the game swagger and as Silencer said, he is a villain in some arena's so gets ppl in.

Homicide style!

Reply #485715 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Tim Keeble hinting in todays Mercury that its pretty close to a done deal.

Reply #485764 | Report this post

pwned  
Years ago

Just confirmed via social media.

Reply #485920 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

that's great news.

love him or hate him, the guy can play.

nice that we have some quality imports in the league with Wilson, Ervin & Beal staying & Jackson returning.

Reply #485924 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Yea pretty much all teams look to have atleast one really good import so far, with many to be still signed.

36ers - Wilson - former runner up in MVP, been a good import the last few seasons for the Taipans, Montreal been a SEABL star and players of his style tend to do well at NBL.

Perth - Beal, GF MVP, still to replace Ennis, with a likely MVP level import.

Melbourne - Dennis, many peoples tip for MVP last pre-season before getting injured.

NZ- Cedric Jackson, one of/the best import to play in the NBL for the past 5ish years.

Wolongong - Ervin, former MVP, key player in 36ers GF team last season.

Townsville - Conklin, very good last season, Gladness has NBA experience and sounds like a keeper.

Sydney and Cairns have 1 import each so far with no NBL experience, but both sound decent,

So looking like a good import crop this season, very exciting for the league.

Reply #485926 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

'Gary's signing is not the end of the big news. We’ve got some more exciting news to come.’’

The Hawks have filled seven spots on their 10-man roster, including Ervin, Forman, Larry Davidson, Tim Coenraad, Brad Hill, Adam Ballinger and Dave Gruber.
I assume it'll be Demos, a SG or combo guard and then someone else.

Reply #485927 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@Jonno Cairns haven't signed any imports as far as I am aware, although Boti mentioned on twitter one he thinks has been signed.

Reply #485929 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

They haven't announced an import, anyway.

Reply #485939 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Very disappointed he won't be back at the 36ers for good news for the league, the NBL desperately needs personalities like his.

Reply #485943 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Cairns import is confirmed, still one to go.

Reply #485946 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

very cool video from the Hawks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RB__Zi2KbI8

Reply #485950 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

I love the way Isaac teases - throws a little line to see if anyone bites and pretends he doesn't know who is going where!

Reply #485976 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:50 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754