NBomb
Years ago

Breakers sign Rhys Carter to one-year deal

http://nzhoops.co.nz/breakers-get-carter-2/

Topic #35031 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

The SKYCITY Breakers added another piece to the roster jigsaw for the 2014/15 Australian National Basketball League with the signing today of Australian combo-guard Rhys Carter on a one year deal.

30 year old Carter brings a vast array of experience in leagues around the world, including stints in Europe, the ANBL with the South Dragons (winning a championship alongside Mika Vukona in 2009), Perth Wildcats and at the end of last season helped the Adelaide 36ers into the post-season.

Reply #485791 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Good signing for NZ thought he would go back to Adelaide.

Reply #485795 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Good signing for the Breakers, i am a fan, was hoping he would be at the 36ers again.

Reply #485796 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Ok signing.

Bit overrated.

Reply #485800 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

But a very adequate backup nonetheless.

Reply #485801 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Good signing IMO, safe pair of hands for the bench mob

Reply #485804 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Yes Mystro,

As long as he doesn't jack up too many shots I will be happy.

Very inconsistent shooter. Keeps shooting even though he is actually (judging by the % a sub-par shooter)

Reply #485805 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

His defence work in our finals campaign was huge .

Reply #485806 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Excellent defender, a very handy back-up off the bench. Be interested to see how (and if) they use their second import spot now.

Reply #485807 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

If 36ers are indeed on a budget (which appears to be the case) he would have been out of our price range.

Reply #485810 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

I don't mind the signing, but it appears that Carter will essentially fill Corletto's old role: was it really worth paying out a portion of Corletto's contract to sign Carter?

Reply #485818 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Good luck to him.

Four teams in three years?

Reply #485826 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Playmaker Mo, I think Vickerman wanted a lot more defence from his guards, hence Carter.

Reply #485832 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Corey Webster took Corletto's starting role, upgrade at both ends of the floor.

Reply #485835 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What because daddy told the breakers he would look elsewhere lets just see Mystro

Reply #485873 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

How many points do you think Corletto could drop on the boomers anon & then factor in that they knew Zealand's whole offender was based around him shooting

Reply #485877 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

*offense

Corey can create his own shot, Corletto not so much

Reply #485879 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

I think both Webster and Carter are better than Corletto.

I think Carter is a upgrade, yes he is a streaky 3pt shooter and can take a few too many at times, but overall his numbers are not that much worse than Corletto's, plus he is a way better defender and more athletic, he changed the game with his defense on Goulding and hitting a couple of big 3's in Game 1 of the Semis last season, so i think he is a great pick up as a back up guard.

Reply #485882 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Good timing by the Breakers in terms of trying to divert the attention away from Te Rangi. Announced today on purpose you would think.

"Oh let's announce the signing of a new player the same day one of our current contracted players faces sentencing".

Reply #485893 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Looks like NZ are running

Jackson/Carter
Webster/TeRangi
Abercrombie/Bailey
Vukona/Wesley
Pledger/ Loe or Import

Liking Vickermans signings so far

Reply #485896 | Report this post

The Dream  
Years ago

Vukona Captain?

Reply #485899 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Yeah I'd say so

Reply #485901 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

"Carter will line up alongside the returning Cedric Jackson, Tall Black Corey Webster and youngster Reuben Te Rangi in the backcourt mix for next season, with Te Rangi's role changing significantly from last campaign."

The Breakers had looked closely at Tall Blacks guards Lindsay Tait, Jarrod Kenny and Everard Bartlett before settling on Carter. Vickerman felt the Aussie, who has played for five previous NBL clubs over a 12-year career, ticked the boxes better.

"We were looking for that combo guard who can come in and back up Cedric but also play with Cedric a little bit as well, and be good perimeter threat. He's a high level passer, and also has the ability to get hot from perimeter"

"We've got Tai Wesley more as a guy who will back up Mika, and with his strength and abilities he can play some [centre] as well. But when we didn't have coverage at the five spot last year we were exposed both defensively and in rebounding, and the import we sign will be a high-level shot blocker and rebounder."

Some of Vickermans quotes from a stuff.co.nz article

Reply #485913 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

I was really hoping Carter would return to the Sixers.

A very capable defender with the ability to knock down shots from outside.

All the best to Carter nonetheless.

Reply #485963 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dud. Struggles in SEABL.

Reply #485987 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:10 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754