LC
Years ago

Revisiting the Malice in the Palace

Decade remembrances be damned, revisit one of the iconic moments in recent Indiana Pacers history. 9 years ago, on 19 November 2004, Indiana was playing the Detroit Pistons at the Palace of Auburn Hills. The events that ensued right before the game ended caused a ripple effect on the entire league.

Revisiting the Malice at the Palace

Includes video of the infamous incident.

Topic #35039 | Report this topic

Slammin'08  
Years ago

I honestly think the fans were the most disgusting I have ever seen. More fans should have had there tickets revoked and been charged with assault. They most definitely escalated the situation and essentially destroyed a team. The Pistons organisation should have had massive fines and/or had game wins turned into losses for not protecting the players and not controlling the situation. I am by no means a Pacers fan I just feel they were hardly done by. And while I am at it, the guy who started it all Ben Wallace got 6 games. Seriously he over reacted to a nothing foul and caused the biggest brawl in NBA history and gets 9 games less than Jermaine O'neal who was just defending his team.

Reply #486076 | Report this post

GD  
Years ago

Grantland did an oral history article about this a while back that is definitely worth the read too:

http://grantland.com/features/an-oral-history-malice-palace/

Ron Artest's reaction when they got back to the locker room/team bus is a highlight.

Reply #486082 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Slammin, Jermaine O'Neal threw a driving punch at a fan. If he hadn't slipped, he could well have killed the guy. Biggest penalties are on the guys going into the stands, etc.

Reply #486088 | Report this post

Slammin'08  
Years ago

Isaac I guess I didn't make my point very well. I am not saying Jermaine didn't deserve his time, I am saying that the punishment dished out to the Pistons wasn't harsh enough and the "fans" got away with a lot more than they should have. There were guys easily identifiable dumping bear and food on players as they tried to exit the court who got nothing.

Reply #486104 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:06 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754