Anonymous
Years ago

Spurs sign Becky Hammon as assistant coach

The San Antonio Spurs today announced that Becky Hammon has been hired as an assistant coach. Per club policy terms of the contract were not announced.

Hammon, who is currently in her 16th WNBA season, announced on July 23 that she would retire as a player at the conclusion of the 2014 season. Named one of the WNBA's Top 15 Players of All-Time in July of 2011, Hammon ranks seventh in WNBA history in points (with 5,809), fourth in assists (1,687) and sixth in games (445).

"I very much look forward to the addition of Becky Hammon to our staff," said Spurs Head Coach Gregg Popovich. “Having observed her working with our team this past season, I’m confident her basketball IQ, work ethic and interpersonal skills will be a great benefit to the Spurs.”

http://www.nba.com/spurs/spurs-name-becky-hammon-assistant-coach

Topic #35069 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Very interesting a good step.

Reply #486607 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Smart player so should probably make a good assistant coach.

Reply #486610 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Spurs have been NBA leaders in many fields, just look at how they have scoured the globe to find the right players to fit their team, now they are again leading by example selecting what appears to be a very smart ex-point guard to help out the cagey old fella...

Reply #486629 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wonder if she will challenge any of the guys to a game of horse ?

Reply #486645 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Looks to be a good decision, the Spurs are smart and obviously Basketball IQ is a big thing they look for, no matter what country you are from, what gender you are if you have goo basketball IQ a good work ethic and fit there culture then they will be interested in you, and rightly so.

Reply #486674 | Report this post

Gordon Liddy  
Years ago

What will happen when the players are all nude and stuff in the changerooms? Have the Spurs thought this through?

Reply #486678 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Gordon, I imagine you're adopting the everyman role here for a laugh, but for the benefit of those asking it seriously, female reporters already have access to the locker room.

Another question is whether female players would be comfortable with male reporters having access to their locker room. There were a few female reporters and photographers talking about all of this on r/NBA in the Hammon signing thread yesterday for anyone who cares enough.

Reply #486690 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I can see Ginobili doing the same thing when he retires - same sort of IQ credentials as Hammon. In fact, the appointment of Messina can be seen as the long-term replacement for Pop, with Hammon and Ginobili to be the go-to ACs for a while. Manu to be a head coach within 5-7 years

Reply #486710 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^Anon has hit on a good point, POP isn't getting any younger and the Spurs are clever enough to get in early as they have proven time and again.

Reply #486740 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:23 am, Wed 17 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754