Isaac
Years ago

Melbourne United keep Auryn Macmillan

Melbourne United has signed Auryn Macmillan, providing more depth to its inaugural roster.

Able to play as a centre or power forward, 203cm Macmillan will be entering his third NBL season after playing for the Wollongong Hawks and Melbourne Tigers.

Strong and reliable, Macmillan averaged 1.5 ppg and 1.9 rebounds over 23 games for the Tigers last season, posting highs of 10 points and eight rebounds against the Adelaide 36ers on March 23.

"We're very happy to have Auryn on the roster," Melbourne United coach Chris Anstey said. "His work ethic is exceptional and he has a willingness to learn, and a commitment to being a great teammate.
Announcement on NBL.com.au

Topic #35072 | Report this topic

Benno  
Years ago

OMG YES!!!

Reply #486625 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think he'll get more minutes this season, providing inside grunt to complement Kickert's outside game.

Reply #486628 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I like the signing. The guy has promise and retaining some former Tigers may help fans unhappy with the rebranding feel less alienated.

Reply #486634 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What else he's been up to...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ltORkYAdVk

Reply #486653 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I hope united signs an athletic shot blocking import C and that Macmillan runs the 10th player spot.

I hope the rotations go something like this.

PG - Tomlinson (25) / Corletto (15)
SG - Dennis (30) / Barlow (10) / Odigie (0)
SF - Barlow (15) / Walker (25)
PF - Kickert (15) / Wortho (25)
C - Import (30) / Kickert (10) / Macmillian (0)

Reply #486655 | Report this post

Black Panther  
Years ago

Nothing against this signing. You could do worse with a local back-up big (not to many options really)

How does his game compare with Tim Lang. I know the Tigers had him up for awhile a few years ago. Haven't seen him lately, but it seems like a 6'10 local who is scoring at 21.6 ppg in the seabl could get an nbl gig.

Thoughts?

Reply #486665 | Report this post

Ganymede 86  
Years ago

What's the points situation with Melbourne? A really good team if they can get 2 good imports.

Reply #486669 | Report this post

bethdavis10  
Years ago

They already have one import in Stephen Dennis.

Reply #486670 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

if i were the Tigers id be signing a import scoring sg, ala Farley 2.0 to replace Goulding, if they do that they have a great roster imo.

Dennis/Tomlinson
Import/Corletto
Barlow/Odigie
Worthington/Walker
Kickert/MacMillan

Looks really good to me and is a pretty long, athletic versatile roster.

On paper top 2 right now imo, assuming Perth bring in a stud to replace Ennis and basically keep the rest the same, Melbourne v Perth is my way too early GF tip.

Just cant see many putting together a roster as good as that with how they are looking and most only having 1 or 2 spots to complete.

Reply #486676 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

At Seabl level he isn't great. NBL no way.

Reply #486677 | Report this post

Ganymede 86  
Years ago

I agree Jonno. My only question is if they get a 2/3 are they too soft down low?

Reply #486682 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Hmm can see what you are saying, but Wortho, Walker should give them enough grunt to get by, considering there are not really any hugely dominant bigs last year.

If you compare it to last years 36ers

Id say Kickert, Wortho, Walker, MacMillan would give a similar level of inside grunt to DJ, Petrie, Schenscher, Anthony.

Also its tough to get a good import C, unless they go a tried and tested guy like Wilkinson or Morrison, but do they really solve the issue and then do they have enough scoring in the sg/wing spots to replace Goulding??

As a rule you can generally get a better import sg/sf than a C for the money NBL clubs can pay, so thats why id certainly get a import sg who is a scorer to replace Goulding, its also replacing a like for a like so dont have to change much than what was planned rotation/tactic wise, as id say in the ideal world they would have kept Goulding and perhaps ran with 1 import (Stephen Dennis), assuming the points/salary cap prevents them from replacing Macmillan with a import.

Reply #486691 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You could get away with 2 import guards and a PF as a C if you had at least one massive guy off the bench (i.e. using the Adelaide example above in Schenscher).

Had they got a players like say Jordan Vandenburg as the back up PG instead of Macmillian then I would be all for 2 import guards.

I personally think having Tomlinson and Corletto hold down one spot and trying to get a super Atheltic dominate 5 man in the mould of Leon Trimmingham, Michael Dunigan, Diamon Simpson, etc, etc would be a better fit and much more scarier prospect. Hope it's not a Morrison type who is slow.

Also with the above team of 2 import guards, if Kickert gets injured who covers the C spot? Wortho? Does Macmillan become the starter?

Reply #486697 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

McMillan grunt? hahahahah

Reply #486700 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If they kept goulding they would've signed an import big instead of Kickert or a 3 instead of barlow

Reply #486701 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Dennis/Tomlinson
Import/Corletto
Barlow/Odigie
Worthington/Walker
Kickert/MacMillan

That is one hell of a lineup.

Reply #486704 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

Great lineup, though I'd be starting Walker over Wortho. I don't know anything about Dennis, could he play 2? I think Tomlinson has proven himself as a starting PG.

Reply #486707 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Yep, considering they came 3rd last year with Walker and Tomlinson starting most of the season and a lesser import guard than Stephen Dennis.

Hence why my very early prediction is this is a top 2 team. Especially if they get a good import sg.

Reply #486708 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I suspect the Kickert signing when it happens will be in place of an import.

Reply #486709 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

United now has seven players officially signed - Macmillan, Daryl Corletto, Mark Worthington, Nate Tomlinson, Lucas Walker, David Barlow and Owen Odigie

Where's Dennis and Kickert then?

Reply #486722 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

No issues then.

Just move Tomlinson into the starting role and shift Dennis to the two.

Tomlinson/ ?
Dennis/Corletto
Walker/Odigie
Barlow/ Wortho
Kickert/MacMillan

I wouldn't go with Barlow at the 3 spot. That is a recipe for disaster.

Reply #486724 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Dennis is doing a lot of community stuff for them and they still haven't announced him, which I think is weird... They've been all like "oh we love him and want him back!" but nothing actually said about signing him... Still waiting to see if he's 100% healthy perhaps?

Reply #486725 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

yeah, I doubt they will have the traditional 3, but go with a combination of Walker/Barlow/Wortho in the two forward spots...

Tomlinson showed last season that he can manage a starting role, just really needed some help with the ball handling... Being able to pass to Bubbles would really pad the assists stats though, so it will be interesting to see how they go without Bubbles to pull them out of trouble like he did so many times for them last season...

Reply #486726 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Boti has been mentioning him and Kickert for ages, he is usually correct so id say both will be announced at some point. Not sure why they are waiting.

Reply #486727 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They are getting a two man may even be out here already

Reply #486821 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:09 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754