Isaac
Years ago

Pre-season game: United vs 36ers, Aug 15

Only roster players the Sixers are taking are Teys, Schenscher and Crawford.

Petrie is being rested, Wilson is OS, Gibson and Anthony are on national duties and Montreal and Creek have SEABL games.

Meanwhile, United are expected to have Kickert, Dennis, Barlow, Corletto, Worthington, Walker, Tomlinson, Odigie and Macmillan. Ouch!

Boti lists the 36ers' ring-ins as "Adam Doyle and local state league players Brad Haydon (Forestville), Sam Johns (Southern), Matt Lycett (Norwood) and Dexter Moore (Sturt)."

Full story

Topic #35130 | Report this topic

Hanging Round  
Years ago

When I saw this earlier today I wondered why we are bothering?
Let's hope one of the 3 don't get injured, although that could occur anywhere.
What an upset if we get up

Reply #488147 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

If Melbourne bother to try, we'll get hammered

Reply #488148 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

Prediction - 109 to 65 if we are lucky!

Reply #488150 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

I know "it's only CABL", but if Lycett misses the Saturday night game Coops would not be happy

Reply #488154 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think Jamar Wilson is currently playing in Finland.

Reply #488156 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sixers won't score over 40 points if melb take it serious

Reply #488157 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

we might get a few surprises from some of those players. live stats ????

Reply #488180 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Pre-season games are not about the stars, it is more about the bench and fringe players having a chance to shine and show the coach why they should get court time come game time.

Reply #488186 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

It's also about checking that the coach's systems for offence and defence are sound. Very difficult to do if only 30% of the actual team is there! Another thing is it gives supporters an idea of how excited they can get by the season ahead. Hard to do in this case also.

Reply #488190 | Report this post

Well Done  
Years ago

Congrats to the local guys that got selected. Great opportunity to get a taste of the next level of development.

Reply #488192 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Didn't Dexter Moore shoot 40 plus in CABL game. I think I read that somewhere.

Reply #488209 | Report this post

bethdavis10  
Years ago

Interesting that Creek and Montreal are ruled out for Adelaide with SEABL commitments but Odigie and Macmillan are listed as playing for Melbourne, both of whom also have SEABL games this weekend.

Reply #488220 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

It's hard to think on that we'd win early games. getting together so late.

Reply #488227 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

beth a lot depends on which SEABL team they are in and how they are travelling and their schedule - always more than meets the eye- contract variations, sponsorship deals etc etc etc

Reply #488247 | Report this post

bethdavis10  
Years ago

Anon #488247
re: Pre-season game: United vs 36ers, Aug 15

Absolutely, but both Montreal and Odigie play in the same team, which has a double header weekend with games on Saturday night and Sunday, and top spot on the ladder in the balance. Granted, Odigie is not as big a piece of the Dandenong team as Montreal. Just an interesting observation, nothing sinister in my comment.

Reply #488251 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

I think you guys under-estimate just how good the Sixer team is.

Most of the players are still there playing together again.

Peach can cover a lot of what DJ provided with more D.

The Sixers got to the GF with one import, now we have two. One runner up MVP and one unknown (granted).

Creek and Teys will be one season better.

Big Bird can still contribute.

If the fans stay positive and support the club, there will be more money for the signings you all want.

Reply #488279 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Losing DJ is huge for the 6ers.They need some of the other bigs to stepup to fill the gaping hole he leaves.Wilson covers Ervins loss, but who will cover for DJ's output?.

Reply #488284 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

"Creek and Teys will be one season better."

People say that about Creek every year and it comes back and doesn't seem any different. Its the lack of a jumpshot. It will always hurt his development. You can't be a SF and not be a shooter in the modern game.

Teys impressed. But you can't expect him to be the saviour. He is still a role player.

"Big bird can still contribute".

Barely. In a league chock full of mobile centres, opposing Cs will have a field day against him. Knight, Kickert, Loe (maybe), Brandt, Davidson etc. I thought Schensher was actually really ordinary last season. Couldn't rebound to save himself. That contract you guys gpt him under really didnt help - Luke provides as much as McMillan tbh.

Reply #488319 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Any live stats?

Reply #488329 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Live stats link:
http://www.fibalivestats.com/matches/28377/07/87/05/44ePGzdzJge46/

Reply #488330 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

You know, I don't think it quite sank in how scary looking that United roster is until I saw them all listed out like that.

Reply #488338 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

They also have Worthington and an import to come apparently...

Reply #488340 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melbourne gonna be good

Reply #488342 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Assuming we get someone semi-reasonable with our 10th spot, this is basically our 8-10 on the roster, with 5 development players.
They should be all kinds of destroying us. Considering the 3 guys on the actual roster aren't doing a hell of a lot either.
Melbourne really don't have any legit height on their roster at this point.
Starting 5 tonight has Kickert at C (more of a stretch 4/5 isn't he, rather than a legit big?) and Walker at PF. With Tomlinson starting at the 2.

Reply #488343 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I'd say:

1 Tomlinson
2 Dennis
3/4 Barlow
3/4 Walker
5 Kickert

Reply #488344 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

Given the disparity in personnel, the Sixers are far from getting owned.

Well done to get this close.

Reply #488347 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

We benched Crawford and Schenscher for the second half... And won both quarters.

Don't know a thing about Johns or Moore, but nice games by them.
Moore with 24 points (10/15), 5 rebounds, 3 assists and a steal. Very handy line in 27:22.
Johns started well, ended with 17 points (5/14 isn't great though), 4 rebounds, 2 assists, 2 steals in 33:47.

Reply #488348 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Yeah, who is this more character? Super game from him.

Reply #488349 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Moore is an import with Sturt I believe.

http://www.foxsportspulse.com/nf/team_info.cgi?action=PSTATS&pID=197631613&client=1-3656-44093-289297-20252226

Reply #488352 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Sam Johns hit the first 8 points on 3-3 for the 36ers, not a bad first four minutes.

Reply #488354 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

Final score and stats?

Reply #488360 | Report this post

annon  
Years ago

101/93 United WIn... !!! what happened to the 40 point plus loss !!!!!

Reply #488363 | Report this post

annon  
Years ago

Fast transition on its way...….. told you so...

Reply #488365 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

Sounds like the Sixers had a go?,! Am shocked really, expected a thumping

Reply #488366 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

I wouldn't read too much into this game. Would have been a light hit out for Melbourne and the 36ers squad was full of players looking to prove themselves.

Reply #488367 | Report this post

annon  
Years ago

righto tornado ... no one is reading in to it, just pleased with some individual results… we are not that ignorant...

Reply #488369 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Pleased with the result. But not a lot to take from it.
Crawford did basically nothing. The team was better when he and Schenscher were benched after half time.

Reply #488419 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

No surprise there, two old blokes who've just started preseason aren't going to give you much in the first practice game. Their sole aim would have been to get through without injury.

Reply #488421 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

I saw the owner of the Hawks tweeted late last night that there will be a major announcement this week.Martin staying, new import...

Reply #488422 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Exactly my point annon....individual results were pleasing because of the points I stated.

Reply #488436 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:38 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754