LC
Years ago

Boomers vs Ukraine in France

Boomers take on Ukraine tonight at 2am AEST in France.

Australia won easily last time after a massive first quarter, but were outscored in the 2nd half.

Watch live on ESPN via Foxtel tonight.

Topic #35137 | Report this topic

GWB  
Years ago

Stream on NOW http://fullsportlive.org/2014/08/australia-vs-ukraine-live-stream.html

Reply #488370 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Boomers are outclassing them, but having said that I feel we probably should be ahead by more. D looks a touch better.. but this isn't a team thats strong inside.

Reply #488371 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That blonde ukranian is almost as fat as jawai!!!

Reply #488372 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Our defence is too reactive, but galfd weve kept them to just 12 in a quarter.

Reply #488373 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jawai is terrible now. He's a major liability any time he's on the floor. Simmons would have to of been a better option. Baynes looks really good so far. Really impressed by Newley aswell. It's like he's a completely different player. Exum's handle is starting to become a concern for me.

Reply #488375 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

This is weak. We are completely screwed at the world cup. I am starting to doubt we will make it past the group stages. They need to replace Lemanis now.

Reply #488376 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jeez, how many times has the commentator said 'people believe this team can make a deep run in this world cup'? At least 5 times now.

Jeter for Ukraine is great. Reminds me of mills a fair bit.

Reply #488377 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And yeah we have to stop with thrmese stupid passes and turnovers.

Reply #488378 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

very ugly game so far

Reply #488379 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

How long is Lemanis signed as coach. He should be sacked at the end of this campaign. This is the most woeful I have ever seen the Boomers play. We have NO chance.

Reply #488380 | Report this post

Maxymoo  
Years ago

It's on ESPN2

Reply #488381 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

I seriously hope we are calling the worlds bluff right now and playing shit as some sort of tactic.. if we keep on like this we will be lucky to beat Korea!

Reply #488382 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Did brown quit or was he fired?

Reply #488383 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brokekhoff on fire in the fourth . Raining threes!

Reply #488385 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Man, Broekhoff can shoot. Why has he had so little playing time?

Reply #488387 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Aussies accounted for Finland overnight 74-65 after Ryan Broekhoff exploded for 15 final-quarter points!

Recap now up on PnR thanks to Craig Rayner:

Boomers back to their winning ways in Europe

The Australian Boomers have returned to winning form in their 2014 FIBA World Cup preparations with a 74-65 victory over Ukraine in Nice on the back of a scorching 15 final quarter points by Ryan Broekhoff who connected on 5 of 7 three-pointers.

Reply #488399 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

Can we actually send Jawai home?

Reply #488403 | Report this post

Moneyballer  
Years ago

Looks like Jawai is NBL bound soon?

Reply #488413 | Report this post

jimmy needles  
Years ago

Decent 1st quarter
Poor 2nd quarter
Terrible 3rd quarter
Excellent 4th quarter

Some of that ball movement in the 4th was Spurs-esque. If they can be more consistent and reduce the turnovers I think they have a good run in them. All up I can see we are building towards something but there's plenty of room for improvement. The game against France will be the real measure of where we are at.

Just a side note on Exum, it looks like he's playing with a lack of confidence which has impacted his game. The kid is young. I see flashes which tell me he is going to be a star. This experience is completely new to him and it will position him well for the upcoming NBA season.

Reply #488415 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I agree, flashes of brilliant and terrible all mixed in together. I think he should always have Delly or Gibbo on with him, let them worry about setting things up and let Exum just do what comes instinctively.

Lemanis didn't seem to be close to settling his rotations last night, still looked like a lot of experimentation. Hopefully by France on Sunday that is sorted.

Reply #488416 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Excellent fourth quarter? thats the quarter I missed. But I think we will get eaten alive this year with our defence.. Ukraine shouldn't get within 20-30 points of us on a bad day

Reply #488423 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Decent 1st quarter
Poor 2nd quarter
Terrible 3rd quarter
Excellent 4th quarter

Some of that ball movement in the 4th was Spurs-esque. If they can be more consistent and reduce the turnovers I think they have a good run in them. All up I can see we are building towards something but there's plenty of room for improvement. The game against France will be the real measure of where we are at.

Just a side note on Exum, it looks like he's playing with a lack of confidence which has impacted his game. The kid is young. I see flashes which tell me he is going to be a star. This experience is completely new to him and it will position him well for the upcoming NBA season."

Yeah, one of the most annoying things is the inconsistency. We'll be playing like the Spurs one quarter and then like a local social team the next.

Totally agree with you about Exum. You can tell that he's just lacking confidence out there. He just seems so damn nervous. He'll normally bring the ball up court then pass it off and stand in the corner asking for the ball again. When he actually builds up the guts to drive and make plays then it normally results in a bucket for either him or someone else. It's annoying to see such a quick player who is also a great driver to the rim be so passive. And with every new game i get more and more worried about his left hand handle. Guys are giving him wide open lanes to his left and he isn't taking them. Also whenever he attempts to dribble with his left he either fumbles it outright or just dribbles once then brings it back to his right hand.

Reply #488425 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

GWB, Ukraine aren't playing great at the moment, but they came sixth at the Eurobasket last year.

Reply #488426 | Report this post

Lance_Uppercut  
Years ago

Good to see Broekhoff hit 5 big threes. Have to wonder why they aren't running plays like that for Goudling, to allow him to come off down picks and hit open 3s, seems like a more efficient way to get points then some of the turnovers and plays inside wasting the shot clock then throwing up a bad shot that the boomers have done.

There are many issues with D but still plenty with offence and not just inconsistency.

For example, at the beginning of the 3rd quarter Bairstow beat his man streaming to the hoop and Exum made a good pass but Andersen failed to box out his player and so Bairstow was blocked on the weak side at the hoop after beating two players, that shouldn't happen at this level, Andersen has to box out.

Reply #488428 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Are the personnel for the Ukraine the same as those who got 6th in Eurobasket Paul?

I just think the team has looked extremely amateurish. Both teams did last night.

I really hope we are calling the worlds bluff and we come out and play different at the Worlds because the way we are playing is concerning.

I hope there is a method to the madness.

Reply #488432 | Report this post

Lance_Uppercut  
Years ago

Ingles and Dellavedova will need to produce more on offence, they had a combined 6 points on 2 of 13 shooting.

Reply #488434 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Delly hasn't played very well in the lead up, there was even one game where I thought Gibson played much better. I think the team needs to turn the corner very soon, lets hope we smash the phillipines and find some confidence.. but right now, I wouldn't be surprised if the game was a lot closer than it rightfully should be.

Reply #488442 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I feel one of the reasons for Exum's lack of aggression at the moment is that his handle is still a bit loose at this stage, making it hard to beat his man off the dribble (at this level). Hopefully he develops a left hand, cos if he does he'll be able to get wherever he wants on the court.

Reply #488444 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

His right handle is fine, it's just his left that needs work.

Delly has looked like a completely different player to 2012 Olympics Delly. The NBA is supposed to make you a better player, not worse.

Reply #488445 | Report this post

Lance_Uppercut  
Years ago

http://www.slamonlineph.com/france-beats-gilas-late-bleu-blanc-tour/

France beat Philippines 75-68, closer match than i would have thought.
France won the 1st quarter 22-20 but lost 2nd & 3rd quarter but came from behind to win the match in the 4th. Batum had 16 pts 11 rebounds.
France shot just 2/17 from 3pt for 12%.

Reply #488447 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

I just read an article from Boti Nagy, it was an interview with Brett Brown that makes me feel a little better. He said he likes what Lemanis is doing and feels that he isn't "showing his hand" yet.

He also mentions how we came out swinging before the 1998 World Champs, got silver in the goodwill games and then we got smashed by all the teams we had beaten by the time we got to the Worlds - finishing 9th.

I think whats been shocking is that the Boomers aren't playing even as good as the team that won the oceania champs last year.. It kind of makes sense to me that the Boomers simply CANT be playing this bad unless there was some reason behind it. I really hope this is the case.

BTW, Broekhoff has made a stand for more minutes right now. And Jawai, Much Much less. I would be surprised if he steps on the court in the real thing with this kind of form. Wasn't he in great form with Galatasary before? What the hell happened? I know he was injured but now its like hes forgotten how to play the game!

Reply #488453 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

After finishing 4th at the '96 Atlanta Olympics and then losing to the USA in the '98 Goodwill Games final that '98 World Champs was probably the most disappointed I've been in the Boomers.

Reply #488455 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"I think whats been shocking is that the Boomers aren't playing even as good as the team that won the oceania champs last year."

Don't forget that team twice trailed a weakened NZ team at half time before exposing their lack of handling and depth. I don't think you can compare the two.

Certainly though, Mills and Petrie were two very handy defensive pieces in Lemanis' system and Mills is obviously a freak offensively when he gets going, which he did both second halves.

Reply #488463 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Up until the Boomers Euro tour, Jawai had not played a competitive game since January due to injury!

Reply #488464 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Petrie is playing games with the 6ers, I feel he should be on the Boomers. Actually I would pick either Simmons, Petrie or Maker to replace him right now. Petrie would have more instant impact but getting Maker would lock him in for Australia internationally.

Reply #488466 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

By 'him' I meant Jawai.

Reply #488467 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Petrie was unavailable due to injury.

Reply #488468 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Brett Brown apparently sent the 76ers video guy to work for the Boomers. Would Brett in turn have insider info on how they are running? He seems confident about everything when anyone watching with the evidence WE have wouldn't be so. What is the game plan for Lemanis?

Also, while tactically it may make sense to play the lead up games with your 'cards to your chest' as to not be scouted so easily, I don't understand how you can play 9 games in a fashion you DON'T intend to play in and still expect to have form come tournament time. Can anyone shed light how this works? How to European teams do that?

I would love to find out that they had found some way to do that. Maybe the holes that we see are meant to be there? maybe they are parts of the Boomers game plan that already feel solid so they are working on their weaknesses but are in turn playing weak in these lead up games and come Game 1 on August 30 we see the full picture?

Once again, Hope so.

Reply #488470 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

Yeah i don't buy not showing your hand, you can't play a certain way for a month then flick a switch and play a new style. I just think maybe we got our expectations wrong and assumed some guys would be better (Nate, and to a lesser extent Dante)

Reply #488475 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Seeing dante struggle is exactly the reason why you don't pick simmons yet
The obvious other issues us the lack of anything from amazing delly, ingles, Anderson and to a lesser extent Goulding - in these lead up matches, hopefully the guys can click and get going, I think that guys seem to be afraid to take shots and are looking to pass too much , I saw Anderson with a up a wide open j only to pass the ball at delly s head

Reply #488477 | Report this post

Smellyhead  
Years ago

I've been saying this from the start, but we need an actual backup centre. We don't have one.

Reply #488478 | Report this post

BurnG  
Years ago

Can't wait for the Philippines-Australia match!

Reply #488489 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:43 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754