Anonymous
Years ago

SEABL Finals 2014

Well some cracking games coming up and some interesting results this weekend, who's in form and who's on the slide?

Topic #35154 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nunawading Men clinch Top. MtGambier the Form team, very consistent.

Dande Girls a class above the rest, Brisbane Women a threat, Nuna Women on the slide and could be bundled out next week.

Reply #488606 | Report this post

John  
Years ago

Thunder will win Sth men but will stand no chance against East, prob Dandy.
Dandy will win East women and Chargers South, Should be a cracker game between them.

Reply #488683 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dandenong women are in a class all their own, they run deep across the board with anyone on a given night able to step up, plus Larissa Anderson as their coach, a coach those girls want to win for, they would be my pick for women, and I wouldn't be surprised if the ranger men bounce back too

Reply #488690 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Mt G to get thru in south Men just over NWT (Home court should get it done!)

Tight in the east men between Nuna & Dandy...i tihnk Nuna just but whoever comes out of the east will win it.

Really think the top 3 teams in east are really strong this year.

Reply #488705 | Report this post

SEABL Watcher  
Years ago

The problem with predicting finals is that any team can have a bad game & at this stage of the competition there are few 2nd chances.

I'm tipping Dandenong to beat Mt Gambier in the final but would not be surprised if neither team makes it through their conference final (Dandy might not even make it to the conference final).

Reply #488708 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In the men it is seriously a 5 horse race between Nuna, Dande and Geelong in the East and MtG and NWT in the south, who ever brings their A game on the night will win. Too hard to predict anything.

In the women its Dandenong easily in the east with Brisbane distant second, Nuna struggling badly without Allen so Geelong will probably get through.

In the south cant see Bendigo getting beaten but who'll they'll play is a guess because Fran, Hob and Kil are close.

Reply #488723 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kilsyth will win the South Conference in the Men. Mount Gambier aren't good enough.

Reply #488794 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kilsyth men are far too inconsistent, they are a talented team but not ready to do well in finals yet.

Reply #488797 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

winner of Nunawading vs Geelong will win the mens. cant see Dandenong getting beaten in the woman.

Reply #489001 | Report this post

annon  
Years ago

You need to consider injuries may occur too with players going hard..... Look at what happened with Sturt in CABL and Novosel out with ACL. They go to GF without her…. Will be tough… Things can change so quickly.. There is an element of luck and timing with all sport...

Reply #489004 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

@Anon Kilsyth don;t have the depth.

It has been shown time and again this year against the better team they only have 5 good players, everyone coming of the bench isn't at the level yet.

Watched nuna put them to the sword on the weekend everytime Popp went to his bench.

Reply #489006 | Report this post

Solid Moves  
Years ago

@001 - Just like Bendigo and Geelong last year yeah? Top two sides in the conference that look the goods and then like last year, BANG! Dandenong come from 3rd and win it. I think it's Dandenong or Nunawading to face MtG in the final. Toughest game for the Rangers will be this weekend against Ballarat because they also are starting to come together at the right time.

Reply #489037 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Frankston's big 3 with Bowen, Romeo and Garrick can fire they will be tough to beat. Coming off a good weekend and heading to Bendigo afer beating them at home only a few weeks ago they have a massive chance here. Rotations need to be kept to a minimum

Reply #489159 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dandy women should easily win East. Chargers, on paper, are the South faves but always fall when it matters - one and done. So Bendigo, 11-1 at home take it. Dandy then wins it all.

Nuna men will have a fight on their hands with the Thunder winning the South. Close but Thunder in OT.

Reply #489199 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would have thought that mt gambier with a 22 and 4 regular season record the best across both conferences, wins against all other finalists, many on the road and an unbeaten record at home, where they will play two finals and have found some form over the last couple of rounds would have to be clear favorites to take out the south, and are in it up to their ears in terms of all seabl championship. I don't get why so many people are dismissive of their prospects.

Reply #489207 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

^Anon, they might be Kings of their conference, but how many cross conference teams did they defeat?

I am just asking, I have not checked the results...

Reply #489210 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

I think Mt G will take out the South.

NWT lost a key players mid season and i think that hurts there chances of knocking off Mt G down there unless BJ goes off for a huge game (but can't see it happening).

That said i think the travel to Melb factor for the GF will count against Mt G as i think the top 3 teams from the east will have an edge.

Reply #489212 | Report this post

GM1  
Years ago

Tiger Watcher, Is it possible you are unaware a commercial Airline operates between Gambier and Tullamarine?

Reply #489217 | Report this post

GM1  
Years ago

Mt Gambier losses to Ballarat, NW Tasmania, Frankston and Kilsyth. Three South Conference Teams.

Reply #489218 | Report this post

John  
Years ago

Thunder were leading well in Mt Gambier and than lost Wilson for the second half. Clark returns this weekend as well so they will be tough to beat. BJ has another gear.

Reply #489228 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dandy and Bendigo to tussle it out in the woman.

MtG and Dandy/Geelong for the men's.

Reply #489231 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

@GM1 - well aware of the plane trip...all be it a very small plane! That said it hurt MT G last year coming in to melb with the let down of very little crowd support and i'd expect the same thing as they'll mos tlikely face a Vic based team in the GF if they get thru.

Reply #489233 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NWT @ Mt Gambier is gonna be a cracker! MTG haven't lost at home all season but overall its 1-1 on the season. MTG have more experience and depth but if Tyrone Lee can stay out of foul trouble (huge if) and play 35mins, NWT should pull off a close upset.

If MTG can outrebound NWT by +7 they'll bring home the bacon.

X factor for NWT - Nate Wilson

Reply #489286 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thunder boys just departed the North West coast. Agree with #489286. This has all the hallmarks of a ripper game. Get onto the livestream! The Thunder in this one up to their eyeballs and primed to bring the Pioneers undone. Wish I was there.

Reply #489341 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Interesting results in the women, surprise win by Brisbane over Dandenong and Nunawading smashed by Geelong, scoring only 4 points in the last qtr. Nunawading only winning 2 games in the past 6 weeks.

Reply #489498 | Report this post

Choppy Galopy  
Years ago

Dande over the Miners in a great second half battle. Very good Miners side this season in a tough SEABL comp. Horton outstanding two weeks out from fractured thumb. Unlucky no Booker. Big shout out to David Flint, Eric Hayes, Jimmy Hunt and crew.

Reply #489510 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dandenong women need to learn to play defence , and maybe use the bench better too if they want to win next week, looked like no one wanted to play hardball until last few minutes of game by then it was too late.

Reply #489531 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can we get seb loader doing nbl commentary? Great in game analysis and un biased call. Great work seb.

Reply #489548 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would think that someone at SEABL would use common sense and talk to the clubs involved when scheduling the finals.
With the preliminary finals this weekend, its Geelong vs Dandenong in the East both mens & womens but at alternative venues; once the results were known Saturday, Geelong men opted to move their prelim to Sunday afternoon as to not clash with the womens match (plus football in Geelong Sat night). Dandenong women also requested their game be moved to Sunday afternoon (possible same reason as to not clash with the men), so SEABL has scheduled both games for 2pm tips off on Sunday.
Wouldn't someone at SEABL thought it was best to talk to both hosting teams to let them know both have opted for Sunday to avoid a clash but in doing so are actually clashing and finding out if one teams wants to host either Friday or Saturday night?

Reply #489660 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

seriously.....that's crazy, obviously its not just the league that does not communicate its right down to the men's and women's coaches of both clubs and the club delegate. And they wonder why they struggle to grow the sport

Reply #489662 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Friday night clashes with VJBL, Saturday night with AFL, what's wrong with Sunday arvo', they have different audiences and supporters of both teams don't get many travelling to away games anyways?

Reply #489686 | Report this post

Choppy Galopy  
Years ago

Great comp. not being critical but need to return to 48 minute games.

Reply #489724 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

From a development perspective 48 mins makes sense. It's hard going past 8 deep in a 40 min game but 48 means you can play 9 or 10 and give meaningful mins.

Reply #489744 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

I much prefer a 48 minute game. Personally i won't pay good money to watch NBL for a 40 minute game.Might be different this year if the product is good enough.

Reply #489749 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:25 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754