MACDUB
Years ago

Tall Blacks Euro tour

A lot of positives for the TBs on their European tour leg. They have proven to be competitive in the first two games.

Went down to Lithuania overnight 85-79 but were competitive all the way through. Jonas Valanciunas only had 4 points at 3/4 time and finished with 19 points (a great defensive effort considering the teams lack of height).

Penney scored 26.

Earlier, the team went down to Slovenia 74-80. I saw the game and the TBs were up 37-27 at the half and were playing great.

Corey Webster was giving it to Dragic and finished with 23 points.

Topic #35158 | Report this topic

Mystro  
Years ago

Tall Blacks lead both games at the half I believe. Good sign of things to come hopefully. I'm expecting a pretty big NBL season from Corey Webster.

Reply #488650 | Report this post

The Dream  
Years ago

ominous signs

Reply #488726 | Report this post

Some_Fulla  
Years ago

I watched both games.. and was surprised by how good we looked. Turnovers cost us and both games were decided by a few sloppy possessions.

If we had a rim protector (ie. Adams) we would be legit...

I think we will get out of the group stage and will knock off Turkey who have looked abysmal.

For the gamblers out there - UK bookies have the TB's at 6/1 for the win against Turkey!

Reply #488742 | Report this post

Some_Fulla  
Years ago

Got smashed by Greece... Looked good in the first half and were down 2 at HT... Looked like a Wednesday night club team in the second..
Vukona hasn't been great in these warmup games, has been fouling a lot..

Reply #488790 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Greece are pretty good so no shame in losing.

Reply #488792 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Each game they have been excellent in the first half and dropped away in the second, although the Greece game was a much bigger drop than two close losses to Slovenia and Lithuania.

Given they've played 11 games in the past 21 days on the road, and had a stomach bug go through most of the team, it's hardly surprising.

They've got Serbia on Thursday and Sunday and then I think they'll benefit from a bit of rest before the WCs.

Reply #488802 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

yeah totally forgot about that bug that they all got, no wonder they're dying in the second half.

Reply #488922 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Frank in over Horvath.

Fuming.

Vucinic has a personal issue against Horvath. Horvath is clearly a better fit for this team. He smashed it on the boards and was one of TBs leading reboundersin all games despite only playing 15mims.

Disappointed for Horvath. BBNZ have treated him poorly for a while now and i dont understand it. If Vucinic is always going to go with Frank why even bring a guy like Horvath along.

Reply #488926 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Reading Vucinic's comments, their performances were of a similar level and Frank got the nod as the incumbent who has shown previously what he can produce internationally, ie: more than either of them have shown on this trip so far.

Reply #488928 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Casey Frank has been prone to the odd brain fart under pressure in the Black singlet so also not entirely happy about this decision either.

Reply #488936 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Paul, yeah except Vucinic has been saying that for years now. Its like his 'go to' excuse.

And my point is that if he was going to chose the imcumbent why didn't he chose him a month ago.

Reply #488944 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

I agree, could have saved the program a fair bit of cash by not dragging Horvath around the world chasing a spot he was never going to get.
It would seem he was just being treated as insurance in case Frank couldn't get fit with his calf issue.

Reply #488946 | Report this post

Some_Fulla  
Years ago

I thought Horvath looked the better of the two in the past three games.. now we are looking really small..

Any chance Pledger makes a last minute comeback to replace Kenny or Bartlett? They have both looked well out of their depth TBH

Reply #488948 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Frank is not a rebounder and is heavily perimeter orientated.

Its just not logical to cut the team's best rebounder especially given we are very small as is.

Australian Boomer fans would also be pissed if Lemanis cut their best rebounder for a 6"8 guy who shoots threes.

Reply #488950 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

I agree, we badly needed rebounding and as much size as we could get with Pledger out & Horvath was as close to a genuine 5 man as we were gonna get.

Reply #488953 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

I doubt Pledger is going to risk further injury by rushing back and we aren't lucky enough for it to heal up quickly in time to join the team.

Reply #488955 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Except Horvath doesn't defend the rim and Frank does, which is the other issue with the team. Similarly, Horvath is such a wreck on offence, we played some of our worst spells with him in there, nobody defends him on PNR's, with Frank and Loe you have to respect their range, frees up so much more room for the guards and they'll tell you similar.(Horvath's glass-crashing can also go haywire when he and Fotu both go for the same orebs, so many fast breaks)

Horvath is very one-dimensional, the question was whether his rebounding was worth it over Frank's passing, shooting and better defence.

It was a very close call imo, not fuming that Frank gets in. Played very well in the NBL this season and I think he'll make us much better on offence, Fotu/Vukona/Anthony can all clean the glass and Frank, Abercrombie and Loe are no scrubs either.

If Fotu gets 20 mpg I think we'll be just fine on the glass, he'll fill Horvath's role well, and we can let Frank and Loe go about helping the offence rather than clogging it up.

Reply #488957 | Report this post

The Dream  
Years ago

Swan Song for Casey anyways

Reply #489054 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wrong decision Nenad. And I'll tell him that next time I see him

Reply #489065 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:22 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754