Anonymous
Years ago

Boomers wishlist for 2016

I know this topic is going to get done to death in the future but based on the first leg of warm up games what would your ideal team for Rio be? Yeah, I know the WC hasn't even started yet and it's two years away but whatever.

Mine

Bogut/Baynes/Humphries
Bairstow/Motum/Maker
Simmons/Ingles
Mills/Goulding
Delly/Exum

A good mix of experience/youth some good outside shooting and inside presence. Bolden/Adel/Broekhoff and McDowell-White would be in my extended squad.

Topic #35172 | Report this topic

GWb  
Years ago

My line up would be basically the same but I think your teams a bit top heavy with all those big men. I would drop Baynes (as I think Maker/Humphries will exceed him by then) and throw in another shooter in the mould of Broekhoff/Drmic or something.

Reply #488939 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Humphries will only be 18 in 2016. You really think he'll be better than Aron Baynes that quickly?

Reply #488942 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Humphries is already 7 foot, 250 pounds.. he already has the body for it and his skill is so immense right now - and it's only gonna get better. I think he has to be considered, and even favoured to make the squad

Reply #488943 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If he can go from averaging 8ppg and 6.7rpg in the SEABL to Boomers/NBA quality in only two years I'll be very impressed.

Reply #488949 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boomers looking extremely solid. Should be ranked up with the best.

Bogut(NBA - pick #1)/Baynes(NBA)/Humphries(NBA - likely pick # 1-5)
Bairstow (NBA)/Motum (NBA) /Maker (NBA - likely pick #1)
Simmons (NBA - likely pick #1)/Ingles (Euro/Barca)
Mills(NBA)/Goulding (Likely Euro/NBL)
Delly (NBA)/Exum (NBA - pick #5)

Reply #488962 | Report this post

kason jidd  
Years ago

Isaac Humphries won't be ready? The kid has been going ape shit breaking records all over the place. Shot 41 points with 19 rebounds the other day in the World Championships. Kid can flat out ball.

Needless to say about Maker and his ability to ball- but the one I need to talk about is Simmons. This kid is bananas. MVP of HS. Look out for him. You heard it here first as you browse back on old articles while researching NBA all star Simmons.

Reply #488964 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think all 3 of Humprhies, Simmons and Maker will be good players, but by 2016 only 1 will be on the team.

For those who watched Humphries play the tournament would have seen him dominate a really small Canada team, score 41points and Australia lost. In the final when he played against Diamond Stone, he didn't do much, got in foul trouble and passed out of the post most times as he couldn't back him down. He also needs to improve his footwork defensively as watch the final against USA and Malik Newman came off the pick and roll and hit the jump shot all the first half because he doesn't show high on screens. He will be good, but more likely 2018 or 2020. Hell, he can still play U19 world champs in 2017!!

Thon Maker could be an outside chance to make the team, although really needs to add size. He brings a skill set that no other Aussie player has ever had before in extreme length in the Forward spot, but I am unsure if he will be ready by 2016. I hope he plays U19 World Champs in 2015. Watching the U17 final this was a big difference between Aus and USA was length of the forwards and being able to get offensive boards and contest shots.

Ben Simmons is the one most likely to make the team in 2016 and I really hope that he plays U19 World Champs in 2015. I think if he and Jonah Bolden commit early to the cause the other players will follow.

As for 2016, If Newly keeps playing the way he is, he could still be in the team and if Broekhoff can get stronger and more confident then he should be able to go around again. I also hope AJ Ogilvy gets it together as when he is on his game he can dominate, but at times can seen disinterested and lazy.

Reply #488966 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bogut/Baynes
Bairstow/motum/maker
Ingles/Simmons/broekhoff
Mills/Goulding
Dellavedova/exum

The future
Humphries/
T.Maker/mading/m.maker
Simmons/bolden
Adel/mcveigh/dj
Dellavedova/exum

Other possibles:
White
Dufelmeier
White
Wilson
Greenwood
Drmic

other centre options:
Mathiang
Froling
Landale
Acuil Joseph
Molloy Leigh
Malone
Etc

Reply #488968 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What about vaseljevic? That kid can hoop! Future pg for boombers behind delly and exum

Reply #488972 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Vasiljevic isn't a PG. Averaged less assists than Humphries at U17 Worlds. Not a good sign.
And there are easily better SG's out there

Reply #488975 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Vasiljevic had a fantastic U17 WC tourney - all-tournament 5!

He nailed a game-high in points vs USA in the gold medal game. He has huge potential and promise. He is a SG not a PG though as pointed out.

Plenty of potential coming through the juniors...but we have had that before that just has not yet translated to a senior medal.

Very encouraging signs though!

Reply #488977 | Report this post

Alpha  
Years ago

Vasiljevic is not a PG YET but the kid has a huge potential to be developed into one and that is what the CoE has been working on with him and Wilson. The main issue with him has been that all coaches he has played for wanted him to play a SG due to shooting ability. He did however show the glimpses what he could do as a PG especially with pick-and-roll. He admitted it himself in the interview that he is work in progress. He definitely needs to improve his decision making - falls into love with floaters easily while jump shot is his biggest weapon.

Now we can debate whether there are better SGs out there and likely there are but the kid like his teammate Wilson certainly showed the character and ability to perform under pressure. Simply compare him to the US SG Ferguson, who has overall better stats and is considered one of the top College prospects, but did not show up in the crucial games. Played almost 50 min in the last two games, scored total of 8 points, FG% less than 15. BTW he guarded Vasiljevic, no wonder he played limited minutes.

And before we all start debating on this we should cut the story short since I don't think Vasiljevic will be ready to play adequately at this senior level in 2 year. He may be considered since he is coming through the ranks under Lemanis' guidance which means it would be easier to slot him into the system but this is very far fetched. I'd say after a few years of College ball he might be ready to be considered, whether he would be picked depends.

Now on the topic - from my playing and coaching experience the winning teams are rarely made of stars (USA may be an exception but it is easy to find 6 - intentionally said 6 not 5 - that will turn up to play out of 12). To win these tournaments Australia needs a star team made of players that would buy into a common goal - medaling in the Olympics. Until then you will always question why some players miss on the selection. Character and common goals come before individual interests.

So from what I have read and experienced first hand Maker, Simmons and Adel would NOT be part of my team for 2016 simply because I don't believe they would change their attitude and perception of their priorities by then. Even Bogut. They may be considered after but not now. And don't get me wrong they are exceptional basketball players but it is not all about their skills and potential when it comes to a 2 week long tournament. Wish we had more players of Delli's character but taller :)

I think we all want what is the best for Australian basketball. There is some serous talent out there and IMO should not be too difficult to pick 16-18 players that would bring us a long awaited medal, but we also should be grounded and realistic.

Anyway my two cents for tonight

Reply #488982 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"My line up would be basically the same but I think your teams a bit top heavy with all those big men. I would drop Baynes (as I think Maker/Humphries will exceed him by then) and throw in another shooter in the mould of Broekhoff/Drmic or something."

I'm a big fan of Humphries but no way would i pick him over Baynes. Baynes is our second best big behind Bogut and he has plenty of NBA/Euroleague experience. Humphries will only be 18 and not even in College yet. He'll be our centre of the future for sure but he should have only a small role in 2016

"Boomers looking extremely solid. Should be ranked up with the best.

Bogut(NBA - pick #1)/Baynes(NBA)/Humphries(NBA - likely pick # 1-5)
Simmons (NBA - likely pick #1)/Ingles (Euro/Barca)
Delly (NBA)/Exum (NBA - pick #5)"

Not to mention guys like Bolden/Adel who have NBA potential and will be in the mix aswell.

"Isaac Humphries won't be ready? The kid has been going ape shit breaking records all over the place. Shot 41 points with 19 rebounds the other day in the World Championships. Kid can flat out ball.

Needless to say about Maker and his ability to ball- but the one I need to talk about is Simmons. This kid is bananas. MVP of HS. Look out for him. You heard it here first as you browse back on old articles while researching NBA all star Simmons."

He did that in a under 17 tournament. The men's team would be very different. All 3 are young and should have roles but should have limited roles come the Olympics.

I think all 3 of Humprhies, Simmons and Maker will be good players, but by 2016 only 1 will be on the team.

For those who watched Humphries play the tournament would have seen him dominate a really small Canada team, score 41points and Australia lost. In the final when he played against Diamond Stone, he didn't do much, got in foul trouble and passed out of the post most times as he couldn't back him down. He also needs to improve his footwork defensively as watch the final against USA and Malik Newman came off the pick and roll and hit the jump shot all the first half because he doesn't show high on screens. He will be good, but more likely 2018 or 2020. Hell, he can still play U19 world champs in 2017!!

"Thon Maker could be an outside chance to make the team, although really needs to add size. He brings a skill set that no other Aussie player has ever had before in extreme length in the Forward spot, but I am unsure if he will be ready by 2016. I hope he plays U19 World Champs in 2015. Watching the U17 final this was a big difference between Aus and USA was length of the forwards and being able to get offensive boards and contest shots.

Ben Simmons is the one most likely to make the team in 2016 and I really hope that he plays U19 World Champs in 2015. I think if he and Jonah Bolden commit early to the cause the other players will follow.

As for 2016, If Newly keeps playing the way he is, he could still be in the team and if Broekhoff can get stronger and more confident then he should be able to go around again. I also hope AJ Ogilvy gets it together as when he is on his game he can dominate, but at times can seen disinterested and lazy."

I think Simmons is a lock. Will be 19 and if he continues his dominance from HS to college he should be the favourite for the number 1 pick.

Maker and Humphries would be outside chances but i'd put them in for limited minutes and experience. Though Lemanis has shown he doesn't like to do that considering what happened with Simmons this year. I can definitely see Broekhoff back on the team. You can never have too many lights out shooters in FIBA but i don't see Ogilvy making it. I think he'd be behind Bogut/Baynes/Bairstow/Motum in the big man pecking order and i'd rather give thos minutes to the future in Maker/Humphries. Newley still definitely a possibility but Goulding is a much better shooter and like i said, shooting is a needed asset to have.

"The future
Humphries/
T.Maker/mading/m.maker
Simmons/bolden
Adel/mcveigh/dj
Dellavedova/exum"

I'd say more along the lines of

Humphries/Mathiang
M.Maker/M.Maker
Simmons/Bolden/McVeigh
Exum/Adel
Delly/White

Though this is is all guessing considering its still 5 years away atleast.

Reply #488983 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Now on the topic - from my playing and coaching experience the winning teams are rarely made of stars (USA may be an exception but it is easy to find 6 - intentionally said 6 not 5 - that will turn up to play out of 12). To win these tournaments Australia needs a star team made of players that would buy into a common goal - medaling in the Olympics. Until then you will always question why some players miss on the selection. Character and common goals come before individual interests.

So from what I have read and experienced first hand Maker, Simmons and Adel would NOT be part of my team for 2016 simply because I don't believe they would change their attitude and perception of their priorities by then. Even Bogut. They may be considered after but not now. And don't get me wrong they are exceptional basketball players but it is not all about their skills and potential when it comes to a 2 week long tournament. Wish we had more players of Delli's character but taller :)

I think we all want what is the best for Australian basketball. There is some serous talent out there and IMO should not be too difficult to pick 16-18 players that would bring us a long awaited medal, but we also should be grounded and realistic.

Anyway my two cents for tonight"

That's all well and good but to win a medal we'll need the most talented basketballers we have.

I can see Adel/Simmons/Maker missing out due to youth but we'll need Bogut to be a serious threat to medal.

And tbh, how do you know what their attitude and perception of their priorities are?

Reply #488984 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Actually i should rephrase - i can see Adel and Maker missing out. Simmons should be a lock.

Reply #488985 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Most of the talk appears to be about the big 3 of Simmons, Maker and Humphries imo Simmons will be in 2016 team, will be 20 and possibly a top 3 NBA pick.
Maker and Humphries will have just graduated high school and while both are super talents for me they are more likely to make 2019 wc team.

Reply #488986 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Humphries/Mathiang
M.Maker/M.Maker
Simmons/Bolden/McVeigh
Exum/Adel
Delly/White"

That team would be lucky to average more than 30% from 3s.

Reply #488987 | Report this post

Lance_Uppercut  
Years ago

Bogut Baynes
Bairstow Maker Motum
Ingles Simmons Newley
Mills Goulding Broekhoff
Delly Exum

That's 13 can't cut it to 12 just yet.

Reply #489007 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dellavedova is not starting ahead of exum in 2016 lol.

I will be more suprised if he is still in the NBA by the end of 2016 after his showing so far in this international campaign.

Reply #489019 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"That team would be lucky to average more than 30% from 3s."

They may all be top calibre shooters by then :)

"Bogut Baynes
Bairstow Maker Motum
Ingles Simmons Newley
Mills Goulding Broekhoff
Delly Exum

That's 13 can't cut it to 12 just ye"

I;d say this is the most realistic. Knowing Lemanis, i'm not sure he'd put Maker on the team due to youth so that would probably be the last one cut.

If they continue to develop then i can definitely see Exum starting over Delly and Simmons starting over Ingles.

Reply #489020 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Dellavedova is not starting ahead of exum in 2016 lol.

I will be more suprised if he is still in the NBA by the end of 2016 after his showing so far in this international campaign."

It depends on how Exum has developed. If he still can't go left and can't shoot then Delly might take it. I fully expect him to be a fairly dominant player by then though.

Him and Simmons will tear it up.

Reply #489030 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Watch out for a kid Emanuel Malou. 6'9 kid who can shoot with range, handle the rock, find open team mates and great athleticism. Recited to Iowa State but his guardian (also under fraud charges if you Google it) failed to do the paper work so he is playing another season of JUCO. An exceptional talent, just a matter of time til he is mentioned with the likes of Simmons, Maker and Adel.

Reply #489031 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Those saying Humphries, Simmons and Maker won't be ready should look at Andrew Wiggins and Canada - one of many examples of top draft picks immediately being picked up by their national team. Do you think that we will ignore a number 1 draft pick and not let them play? The US could play the top 15 draft picks from 2014 and still compete.

Reply #489092 | Report this post

kason jidd  
Years ago

Simmons is ready now. In 2 years he will killing it. Would be foolish to even think he wouldn't be in the squad.

Reply #489093 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Those saying Humphries, Simmons and Maker won't be ready should look at Andrew Wiggins and Canada - one of many examples of top draft picks immediately being picked up by their national team."

When has Wiggins played for the senior national team?

Reply #489097 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wiggins is listed but has opted out so far. He is expected to join the team on Euro tour soon.

Reply #489098 | Report this post

AussiePride  
Years ago

Wiggins has been playing and dominating Div 1 College for a year. Big difference to Humphries, Simmons and Maker who have been playing SEABL and US High School. Only comparison that can be made between Wiggins and an Australian Player is Bairstow or Exum who are both in the Aus Team.

Reply #489116 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

hose saying Humphries, Simmons and Maker won't be ready should look at Andrew Wiggins and Canada - one of many examples of top draft picks immediately being picked up by their national team. Do you think that we will ignore a number 1 draft pick and not let them play? The US could play the top 15 draft picks from 2014 and still compete."

Wiggens is 19 with one season of college and Summerleague underneath his belt. Humphries/Maker will be 18 and fresh out of high school.

"Simmons is ready now. In 2 years he will killing it. Would be foolish to even think he wouldn't be in the squad."

It's funny how he wasn't picked for the Boomers due to being 'not ready' when a fair few college scouts have said that he's NBA ready already.

Reply #489142 | Report this post

SVD  
Years ago

Gaze + Time Machine

Reply #489203 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Aussie Pride. I'm referring to Maker, Humphries and Simmons in 2016 not 2014. I am sure that they will continue to build a great CV in the next 2 years.

The same could be said about Anthony Bennett, Steven Adams, Giannis Antetokounmpo, Dennis Schroder, Dario Saric etc. etc. These players were swiftly picked up by their national teams after their draft.

Reply #489206 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Aussie Pride. I'm referring to Maker, Humphries and Simmons in 2016 not 2014. I am sure that they will continue to build a great CV in the next 2 years.

The same could be said about Anthony Bennett, Steven Adams, Giannis Antetokounmpo, Dennis Schroder, Dario Saric etc. etc. These players were swiftly picked up by their national teams after their draft."

In 2016 Maker and Humphries will be 18 and Simmons 19. Still pretty young. Maker and Humphries will still be a year away from the draft.

Reply #489209 | Report this post

Silencer83  
Years ago

I think Bogut will be retired by 2016. Injuries will get him the way they got Longley.

Reply #489222 | Report this post

phillip  
Years ago

you are totally wrong sinlencer83 as bogut has already stated his desire to play in 2016 Olympics

Reply #489257 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

He usually 'states his desire to play' when it's over a year away. But he almost never actually does.

Reply #489261 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

These 'future teams', how far ahead in the future are we talking?
Most don't have Patty in them. He'd be pretty set in our team for at least another 7 years wouldn't he?

Reply #489264 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"He usually 'states his desire to play' when it's over a year away. But he almost never actually does."

I think 2016 will be his last hooray with the national team before retiring from international ball. Hopefully on a good note with a medal.

"These 'future teams', how far ahead in the future are we talking?
Most don't have Patty in them. He'd be pretty set in our team for at least another 7 years wouldn't he?"

I think the 2018 WC and 2020 Olympics will be our best chance for medals because we'll have a mix of the older and newer generation. In 2018 we could be sending out a lineup which looks something like this

Humphries (20), Baynes (31)
Maker (21) Bairstow (27) Motum (27)
Simmons (22) Bolden (23) Ingles (30)
Mills (30) Adel (21)
Exum (23) Dellavadova (27)

Ages may be a bit off.

Reply #489283 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

So, now that Jingles has got an NBA gig, a team like this looks pretty strong on paper.

Baynes(NBA)/Humphries(NBA - likely pick # 1-5)/??
Simmons (NBA - likely pick #1)/Ingles (NBA)
Exum(NBA)/Dellavedova(NBA)

However, we looked strong on paper for the Worlds too.

So, let's just use our imagination a bit and think about what these guys need from Father Christmas to get close to a medal.

For me
Baynes needs a reliable mid-range shot
Barstow needs foot-speed
Motum needs to bulk up
Goulding needs better defence
Delly needs a better shot technique
Exum needs an outside shot
Jingles needs a faster shot release

Lemanis needs a lot of top-level experience, say at the Spurs or in Europe

Reply #494533 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

PnR's Ethan Johnson takes a look at what the Boomers 2020 could look like:

Aussie Boomers 2020: The faces of our future

Reply #494557 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:36 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754