Anonymous
Years ago

Brisbane team or my job, says Fraser Neill

The National Basketball League's boss says his job is on the line if he does not get a Brisbane team back in the competition.

It is one of the reasons CEO Fraser Neill is so confident the Queensland capital will have a team start in the 2015-16 season.

'‘It’s one of my three KPIs [key performance indicators] in my job to get a team set up in Brisbane,’’ Neill told reporters while in the city on Tuesday to announce it would host the NBL’s pre-season Blitz tournament.
Full story

Topic #35176 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Any guesses at the other two KPIs? One of them might be a solid TV deal? Or a second Melbourne team? Or increase in audience of some level? Certain level of sponsor?

Reply #489089 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great question Isaac, I would like to know the same?

Reply #489094 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Would have to be along the lines of Increased Sponsorship/Revenue and Increasing attendance

Reply #489095 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ That's just guessing, confirmation?

Reply #489096 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

FTA TV deal should be a must. Channel 10 did a "50 years young" show recently and they were banging on about the "glory days when NBL was on Ten"

Reply #489107 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Getting rid of Carfino for some fresh voices and views on the game surely.

Reply #489113 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

Anyone got any news on the NBL getting a naming rights sponsor? Anything happening?

Reply #489114 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

http://www.couriermail.com.au/questnews/east/nbl-ceo-fraser-neill-has-not-closed-the-door-on-any-venues-to-play-host-to-brisbane-team-in-201516/story-fni9r0lo-1227030730385

Reply #489115 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

2. sign sponsors to reach break-even
3. get a TV deal that gets money (even a little) to the clubs and promotes that sport

Reply #489122 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Having that as a KPI is compromising everything about the league.

It's like me have a marriage KPI of having sex every week while my wife is in Fiji for a fortnight.

Reply #489126 | Report this post

Maxymoo  
Years ago

The KPI says sex, not sex with your wife ....easy.

Reply #489144 | Report this post

Solid Moves  
Years ago

I'm not sure how to take this... It's great the league wants a team in Brissy, but what if it's not viable? You'd need a good buisness model that should have a lot of time put into it's creation. I just hope this isn't rushed for the sake of one person's job.

If Townsville can have a team then Brisbane should be able to easily. Just need to find committed people to jump on. Not just the first people with cash.

I'd have a crack and say that game day attendance (outside Perth obviously) and TV rights would be the others. But sponsorship is also in the mix.

Reply #489166 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Solid Moves, he's doing it for the sake of his job, but the league have told him that's exactly what they want. You can easily imagine that their info re TV deal is that Brisbane is a must.

Reply #489170 | Report this post

Solid Moves  
Years ago

Isaac, for a job I work in sports management / development with leagues etc. and believe it or not, some of the KPI's set for managers make them implement things in a 1 or 2 year period that should by rights take 3 or 4 years of proper planning. Simply all to keep their job. My above comments are that I hope something is put in place with correct planning and a sensible timeline instead of scrambling a team for the sake of a quicker deal.

Reply #489174 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Aaaahh, Maxymoo....... Bloody funny!

Reply #489224 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That was kind of the point, the KPI may not really be the benefit of all parties.

Reply #489237 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Whatever the other KPI's are, let's presume the Brisbane franchise is a lock. What do the Brisbane hoops fans want, can you Brissie folk out there answer these questions?

1. Where is the best stadium for a Brisbane NBL franchise?

2. Is there a stadium good enough and big enough or do they need one built?

3. What should the team be called?

4. What colours should they use (three colours)?

5. Who would be best suited to coach this team?

Reply #489343 | Report this post

jimmy needles  
Years ago

1. Where is the best stadium for a Brisbane NBL franchise?

Brisbane Convention Centre

2. Is there a stadium good enough and big enough or do they need one built?

It's good enough and big enough but it would be nice to have a purpose built stadium in the long-term.

3. What should the team be called?

Bullets

4. What colours should they use (three colours)?

Navy blue / yellow / silver

5. Who would be best suited to coach this team?

Joey Wright

Reply #489415 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Considering the Nbl were going to fund it anyway its a meaningless statement.

Reply #489459 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

I would like to see the tennis centre as a venue. Good capacity and I think the government wants to see it used more so it would most likely be cheaper than convention centre. Hopefully the government helps make it an all weather venue though because the roof doesnt fully cover the court.

Reply #489557 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:29 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754