Years ago

Hawks sign import PG Jahii Carson

Summer league highlights

Topic #35181 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Hawks announcement video with highlights:

ESPN stats

Suggestion seems to be that he went for the draft too early and missed.

Said ESPN analyst Fran Fraschilla, who coached Carson in summer camps: "He's one of the quickest guys in the draft, he's as sturdy as a fire hydrant and he has a great competitive spirit."

Strengths: Ultrafast, ultra-quick, scoring point guard, who averaged 21 points per 40 minutes this past season for the Sun Devils ... His speed and quickness, combined with his tremendous vertical leap, make him one of the best pound-for-pound athletes in the 2014 draft ... Has a very good handle, and excels at penetrating. Can go behind the back, crossover, spin, and stop/start at great speeds with relative ease ... When his floater is working for him, he is very difficult to stop… Gets to the line with regularity (7.5 times per 40 min.) … Effective at drive and dish. Averaged 5.2 assists per 40 minutes this past season at ASU ... Incredibly explosive, had a 43.5 inch maximum vertical at the 2014 combine, one of the top verticals over the past 10 years ...

Weaknesses: Inconsistent shooter -– shot 43% from the field, 39% from three-point land (solid), and 72% from the foul line this past season. The 39% was a significant improvement over the 32% that he shot as a freshman, but only 19% of his 2013-14 shot attempts were threes … He is fairly effective shooting off screens from mid-range, but his step-back, fade-away, and spin jumpers could use refinement… Often gets swallowed up under the basket and struggles to finish through the contact. According to Hoop-Math.com, 43 percent Carson's shots came at the rim, but he converted a less-than-stellar 52 percent of those attempts … Averaged 4 turnovers per 40 min. The turnovers are usually due to driving out of control or lapses in attention –– he'll occasionally have his pocket picked or have a lazy pass intercepted ... His lack of height also contributes to his turnover woes, as he is easily smothered by double-teams … Greatly limited by his lack of size on the defensive side of the ball. Opposing guards can easily shoot over him or post him up … Considering his speed and quickness, he gets beat off the dribble more than you would think he would, and he often gets caught up in screens. Not an overly aggressive defender, seemingly disinterested at times, and his theft numbers (.8 steals per 40 min.) are well below average for a guard with his physical skills ...
From NBADraft.net

Reply #489160 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is their marquee signing?

Reply #489162 | Report this post

Solid Moves  
Years ago

Dude looks nice. No big Childress signing, but i have a feeling there will be a lot of happy supporters in the Gong this season!

Reply #489163 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

its never been claimed this guy is a marquee.

Reply #489164 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is he going to play the 2?

Reply #489165 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good video by the Hawks too. Although it is clearly an edit of one of his own highlight videos, editing themselves and adding their own logo and 'become a member' is great work.

Reply #489167 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Sounds a lot like Gary Ervin which should make the Hawks a bit entertaining to watch with two potentially streaky, undersized but angry ball-dominant guards...

Reply #489168 | Report this post

go12  
Years ago

this kid can fly and so FAST

watched this clip 3 times already ... can't wait to see him play

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=DL9S3HQJIdA

love the music too :)

Reply #489169 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"its never been claimed this guy is a marquee."

That's why I'm asking whether he is or not.

Reply #489171 | Report this post

Amomynous  
Years ago

I don't think its in the rules that teams must have a marquee signing.

Great if you can afford it.

Reply #489172 | Report this post

anon1980  
Years ago

it sort of breaks my head how high he can jump given his size, for someone 5'11" he gets his head above the rim in a few of the videos ...

going to be fun to watch and other teams are going to really struggle to defend him with that speed

Reply #489173 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good entertainment value signing. Not sure he's ready to help an NBL team win big games - he's been finishing against the size and athleticism of college athletes and while the Pac-12 is a major conference it's had a mediocre few years. It will be interesting to see whether there are any maturity issues, too, given that he made the decision to leave college early with little to no chance of making an NBA roster.

Reply #489175 | Report this post

GWb  
Years ago

And in true NBL form, they only show the dodgy highlightys.. here are the GOOD ones https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DL9S3HQJIdA

Reply #489177 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

"going to be fun to watch and other teams are going to really struggle to defend him with that speed"

or he'll get trapped a lot like Kerron Johnson last season or guys like Cedric Jackson will just post him up everytime

Reply #489178 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Great signing for the Hawks.

Reply #489179 | Report this post

Amomynous  
Years ago

GWb aren't those "good" ones years old against high schoolers?

Reply #489180 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good signing for the Hawks, but Tim Coenraad and Brad Hill better work on getting up and down the floor.

Carson and Ervin will push the ball like crazy, but they will need guys to run with them to finish and I don't think Ballinger, Davidson, Gruber and Forman will be those guys.

If Coenraad or Hill get out in transition with these guards they should have solid years. Hopefully Brad Hill finds his potential.

Reply #489181 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Spot on Mystro...

Reply #489183 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Will be super quick, super athletic and super entertaining!!

http://www.nbadraft.net/players/jahii-carson

Reply #489184 | Report this post

Ganymede 86  
Years ago

The talent for imports this year is crazy
Wilbekin
Conklin
Gladness
Childress
Carson
Ervin
Dennis
Jackson
Beal
Daniels

Look at it a guy like Conklin is about average for an import this year!

Reply #489185 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Id rather this guy than Wilson!!

Reply #489187 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

There some great imports with a lot of promise for the NBL this coming season!

No letdown for 'marquee' NBL after successful 2013/14

Reply #489188 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Article up on PnR about the 'Gong's latest signing...

In yet another major addition to the upcoming NBL season, the Wollongong Hawks have grabbed the super quick Jahii Carson to booster their squad.

Wollongong Add Arizona State PG Jahii Carson

Reply #489189 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think a back court of GE and Jahii will be fast but to small on defense. Jahii is listed at 5'11 and that's probably an inch high as usual.Wont other bigger guards just post them up and when help comes kick it to an open man?

Reply #489190 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

sorry. he is listed at 5'10 on wiki and is probably only 5'9.

Reply #489191 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Mystro, dare I say Geordie won't be putting Carson and Ervin in situations defensively where their lack of size could be exploited by a simple post up. I can't even remember the last time the Hawks were a traditional half court man-to-man side.

Up-tempo will certainly be on the cards for the hawks with athletic guards, shooters and a lack of rebounders beyond Gruber. Expect some combination of traps, presses, delayed presses and probably Geordie's favored matchup zone.

The Hawks expect to be exciting if nothing else.

Reply #489192 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

OK, maybe Hawks won't miss Martin so much...

Reply #489193 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

I like him, though the choices seem strange for Gordie, he may have a hard time keeping Carson and Ervin on the same page as everyone.

Will definitely cause problems with that speed, but potentially more with the drive and dish given the team-oriented defense of the NBL. You would want to be very aware of where players like Oscar Forman are when he is driving.

Reply #489194 | Report this post

ShaneD  
Years ago

Why am I excited about signings for almost every other NBL team but my own this year thus far :-

It doesn't feel right and makes me sad.

ShaneD

Reply #489195 | Report this post

GWb  
Years ago

36ers imports are bargain bin, we are now the ONLY team without a particularly notable import. I do hope CJ Leslie talk is true and that Jamar naturalises.

Reply #489196 | Report this post

GWb  
Years ago

Sorry, it says on the pick and roll article that hawks are set to announce their biggest coup ever?

Is it this Jahii guy?

Do they have room for a big time aussie in their cap?

I am thinking... David Anderson?

Reply #489197 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

2 point guard imports....interesting.

Reply #489198 | Report this post

Tyrell  
Years ago

This is a good signing but how the owner 'could not sleep it was so big' is beyond me- I was expecting an NBA player. I repeat, still a good signing but they need another big as small ball won't work in this years NBL.

Reply #489225 | Report this post

Vic  
Years ago

Congrats to hawks on signing all they need is an Aussie big like aj oligvy heard some news from someone in united camp there are close to signing 2nd import from the Philly 76ers deal is getting done between anstey and brown united getting either 1 of these 4 players 1 jordan mcrea 2 Ronald Roberts jnr 3 jerami grant 4 k.j mcdaniels don't no who it will be but will be 1 of these players

Reply #489229 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@go12 what is the song in that video?

Reply #489239 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

I'm not sure about how he'll go in a pure win/loss sense, but you can tell why the owner was excited, because the kid has speed and athleticism and can get upstairs. He could prove to be an absolute live-wire in terms of entertainment, the sort of person that will bring members through the door.

Reply #489241 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Exciting season ahead with United still to add a stud import. Looks like every team minus Adelaide has taken steps to improve.

Reply #489253 | Report this post

jr189  
Years ago

you know the kid is a big and popular signing when his youtube highlights have 200,000 and 650,000 views

Reply #489254 | Report this post

Jez  
Years ago

Wow Vic if you're right and United are getting one of those four that's another big time athlete for the league. Mcrae was pretty dominant in Summer League so it'd be a bit of a surprise if he came here though.

The other three all being forwards makes me wonder however if United might lack an extra ball-handler. If one of Dennis or Tomlinson is not on the floor opposing teams may be able to successfully pressure them full court.

Reply #489262 | Report this post

Maxymoo  
Years ago

Way to go Gong!

Reply #489271 | Report this post

Our Game  
Years ago

"you know the kid is a big and popular signing when his youtube highlights have 200,000 and 650,000 views"

That's spot on, regardless of actual production, he'll raise their profile & play some entertaining ball, he's not a guy you recruit to bring you a championship.

Reply #489316 | Report this post

jr189  
Years ago

"he's not a guy you recruit to bring you a championship."

The theory is right, no argument.

However if he is as good as the reports and was, as some suggested a contender for a 1st round pick, you couldn't rule it out.

Reply #489321 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:59 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754