Take luck
Years ago

Could Mildura be an option for the abl comp?

Bored at work on a Friday arvo, and was thinking that this could be a good step for the comp. they have shown interest in the past, would be a great weekend away for opposition teams and after speaking to people who played when river land were around, they have all said it was one of the best things in the season. I feel it would be a positive move but thought I'd see what others think.

Topic #35194 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well, Mildure do have a choice, Big V or ABL, at the moment they are doing well in the Big V so what is the incentive for them?

Reply #489351 | Report this post

Take luck  
Years ago

That's true, from what I heard (grapevine talk) the cost of playing big V was the major incentive to play here. Along with less travel. That was my understanding

Reply #489353 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Either way, they can choose can't they? Or can they play teams in both?

Reply #489357 | Report this post

Take luck  
Years ago

If the problem is the cost of playing in one comp, I doubt they would try stretch themselves to play in two different comps

Reply #489361 | Report this post

Baller#3  
Years ago

Would be good to get a few of the bigger regional centres in the ABL. Make it truly a state league. Surely we can get some of the bigger areas involved. Riverland, port augusta/port pirie, port lincoln/whyalla?

Reply #489367 | Report this post

swish  
Years ago

Whyalla is the largest regional center in SA with good numbers of juniors playing basketball, but the numbers and standard in seniors is not so good. Seniors is pretty social.
More chance of getting regioanl centres to enter teams in junior grades - say under 14/ 16, but most would be uncompetitive in div 1.
Either way its a long drive ( 4 hrs Adel - Whyalla) so would take a huge commitment.

Reply #489369 | Report this post

Baller#3  
Years ago

Just if basketball had some money...
heard stories of u18 footballers from the west getting flown to adelaide by the team to try out.

Reply #489372 | Report this post

swish  
Years ago

Over the years there have been a number of Whyalla kids - Angela Marino, Chris Blakemore, even as far back as Kym Borrett - are they few that have "made it to the top". There have been more, usually driven to and from Adelaide by parents, but usually means time off work (for parents) and school (for kids). Its very expensive and rarely leads to anything.

Reply #489374 | Report this post

Take luck  
Years ago

This is why I only mentioned it for abl. Generally too hard to do for juniors.

Reply #489376 | Report this post

Take luck  
Years ago

Also I don't think you could have too many regional teams, even though it would be great for the comp. but because most players don't get paid and many have to work on weekends, I think 1 max 2 regional teams could work. Just can't have a whole heap of travel weekends as all sorts of different costs would rise

Reply #489377 | Report this post

swish  
Years ago

Harder for seniors.
Juniors at least get opportunities because their parents dream the child will be the next big thing. Thats why parents make the sacrifises and drive kids around. By the time your a senior you know you're not going to make it because you are 5'10'and playing for Pt Augusta "Wildboys" or whoever.
SO we'll get a few kids making the commitment but to find a full team willing to commit to a drive of anything more than 2 hours each way ( for a full season)is not going to happen.

Reply #489378 | Report this post

Take luck  
Years ago

Swish, talking bout Mildura here. They do it weekly across Victoria with a 6 hr trip both ways. And they have shown interest in the past. That's why Mildura could be a possibility. Pretty sure the club would charter a bus also and not make players drive

Reply #489379 | Report this post

p  
Years ago

mildura has been mentioned before - i would like to see them involved in abl as like mt gambier - both about the same difference travel wise.

does a regional airline fly to mildura nowadays ?

even if it was just for a season or two.

mildura is about 500+ kms from melb and 440+ kms from adel

juniors are always welcome but a good regional junior team is usually better div 2 standard. exception would be some of the mavs teams that have a lot of sa country.

limestone coast popped up a few years ago but seems to have gone by the wayside.

country schools have done teaching deals where the junior can have fri afternoon off and catch up with study another time during the week.

isn't there mt gambier or millicent players playing friday night at present ?

Reply #489383 | Report this post

p  
Years ago

bendigo play vjbl or what about ballarat getting an away game at frankston - or bendigo at frankston / dandenong ? 3= hrs there

Reply #489384 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

VJBL scheduled Maffra v Geelong which was a 4 hour trip one way late on Friday nights for 12 year old kids, smart organisating that, not?

Reply #489385 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Travel is part of playing vjbl. Very rarely do we have a game at venues less than 1/2 hour to 40mins away. You just deal with it. Part of the requirement of playing rep ball.

It's worse for the country kids the would have to travel every 2nd week. Where as the city teams would only do it once.

Reply #489387 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Travel is part of playing vjbl. Very rarely do we have a game at venues less than 1/2 hour to 40mins away. You just deal with it. Part of the requirement of playing rep ball.

It's worse for the country kids the would have to travel every 2nd week. Where as the city teams would only do it once.

Reply #489388 | Report this post

p  
Years ago

maffra v geelong - i would have thought - dandenong / nunawading stadium would be a good 1/2 way meet

Reply #489396 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Was back in the days when Maffra paid VJBL to play at home against Geelong...years on and common sense finally prevailed and they moved games to a neutral venue .

Reply #489399 | Report this post

Brian  
Years ago

I think many in Mildura would be happy to go to the ABL. There closest road trip would be Sunbury at about 580km and had to play there elimination final in Traralgon which would be 800km from Mildura. I think they would love the 400km trip each week.
Mildura play Central Districts every year in practice matches and are always high standard close games so I think they would be more then competitive in the ABL.

Reply #489447 | Report this post

Take luck  
Years ago

Thats the type of answer I was looking to receive Brian, Thanks haha. Just think it could add new sponsorship opportunities, possibly add some life to the comp. anyway was just a thought

Reply #489473 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:19 am, Sun 21 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754