Matt
Years ago

Melbourne United Sign Jordan McRae

Another massive coup for the NBL and Melbourne United signing the 58th pick in the draft and a guy who averaged 21 points in summer league.
http://www.theage.com.au/sport/basketball/melbourne-united-signs-philadelphia-76ers-draft-pick-jordan-mcrae-20140829-10a2r7.html

Topic #35256 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jesus, United are looking the goods!

Reply #490260 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

But have they forgotten to sign a centre?

Reply #490261 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Kickert/Macmillan
Worthington/Walker
Barlow/Odigie
McRae/Corletto
Dennis/Tomlinson

Impressive. One of the most talented line-ups in NBL history. Only potential weakness is injury to Kickert.

Reply #490262 | Report this post

Matt  
Years ago

They were close to landing Tom Jervis as well Luckily they didn't

Reply #490263 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

More on the man:

http://www.nbadraft.net/players/jordan-mcrae

Reply #490265 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Could this team potentially be to talented? Theres only one ball

Reply #490266 | Report this post

brett  
Years ago

How is it that every week another good import is announced from the summer league etc but we signed a local seabl player AGAIN!!!

Reply #490267 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

Great season of basketball approaching, I will def be going to check out United when they come to Auckland to play.

Reply #490270 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melbourne look to be the team to beat and I am a Cats fan.

Reply #490271 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Wow. This years import class has to be the best ever? (On paper before seeing how they turn out obviously).

Reply #490274 | Report this post

AussiePride  
Years ago

Everyone of these talented import signings lifts the standard of the league. The real test will be to see how many play a second and third year. This is even more important for the guys straight from college because as we have seen with our own Lucas Walker they are still young and will improve each year. What is it going to take to keep them here rather than a one and done season? Would have been great to see Rotnei Clarke go round again.

Reply #490276 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm a 76ers fan and he played awesome in summer league, surprised he didn't make their team. Going to be a great player for united. Gonna be an exciting season to go to the 36ers games - pity most of the excitement/draw factor is to see the opposition players.

Reply #490277 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow looks like an awesome signing!!!

Drafted by the Spurs, must be able to play!!

Reply #490278 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Check out Melbourne United's Facebook page!

Awesome highlights package there!

Reply #490279 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Yeah, but Chris Anstey is not a great coach; this team projects to underachieve especially when their veteran leader is Mark Worthington. I predict chemistry problems.

That said, yep, the sixers offseason keeps getting worse, comparatively.

Reply #490283 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Not bad! Not bad at all, this season is going to be something else.

Reply #490284 | Report this post

GWb  
Years ago

Aussiepride. We actually need these signings to head to NBA after the first season, the reason they come here is they use it as a springboard. if it continues to prove a good spring board more and more will come. I have a feeling this is only the beginning! provided that some of these guys make an NBA splash at years end.

Reply #490287 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

It would be nice if we could get a mix, some heading back and making the NBA but some that don't returning.

Reply #490288 | Report this post

AussiePride  
Years ago

GWb. I agree if they head to the NBA it is a win for us. It is when they head to some obscure league in Finland or Switzerland I have a problem with. Is it just the money or there something we are missing in keeping them here? It is not that bad in this country is it?

Reply #490289 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

I have more than enough confidence in Anstey to be comfortable that United will underachieve.

Reply #490293 | Report this post

BMF  
Years ago

Nah, Anstey will do alright I would think here.

Reply #490295 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Some serious big signings! Exciting times ahead...

Reply #490297 | Report this post

Jez  
Years ago

Melbourne would have to have the most versatile roster in the league wouldn't they? Dennis, Barlow, Worthington, Walker and now McRae can all play multiple positions.

Reply #490298 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

Wortho well behind Walker. Time for him to accept he is now a role player.

Reply #490305 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

I agree that Walker will start ahead of Worthington.

Reply #490308 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Great lineup...if Anstey can't get them to the grand final, he's got no excuse but his lack of coaching talent.

Reply #490309 | Report this post

BMF  
Years ago

Wortho is a bench player in this team, Sluggish at best last season and starting to show his age.

Reply #490310 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

Holy Crap...

There are no glaring weaknesses on the court for the United.

Melbourne must be favourites...I can imagine the word Tigers being forgotten quickly with this team.

Reply #490314 | Report this post

BMF  
Years ago

Certainly helps when you have the full cap to spend up front. New owners have done well. Good to see, wish all cities had the same!

Reply #490315 | Report this post

MCV  
Years ago

United is absolutely loaded.

Reply #490316 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I love how the cap doesn't work and with the invention of a marquee player the points cap is crap.

Reply #490317 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

This is why I don't like the marquee rule...creates disparity and an uneven playing field.

Reply #490323 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Another Sixers fan that also watched this guy look very good in the Summer league and suprised he isn't playing for the Sixers (Philadelphia) this season. Don't know how they can fit him in though?

Reply #490324 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If only they were still the tigers - I would be over the moon and excited for the upcoming season. I think the ownership has done a great job in assembling this team but still can't see the justification for the name change.

Reply #490331 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kickert was their marquee player signing.

Reply #490341 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Presumably, the 76ers offered McRae the required tender and will keep his rights.

I'd hope Philadelphia helped land him this gig in that case. Otherwise, McRae should have taken the required tender, even if it were a one-year deal that saw him getting cut at the end of training camp. That way, he’d be an unrestricted free agent and could sign with any team if he plays well overseas.

As it probably stands, he can sign only with the 76ers, which is good for the 76ers.

They’re tanking so they won’t miss his (or anyone’s) contributions on the court this season. Instead, they can fill their roster with other prospects and have McRae developing elsewhere while not counting toward the roster limit. This increases their chances of unearthing a player who can contribute once they’re ready to be good.

Maybe that’s McRae, who spent four years at Tennessee and then played well in summer league. I have my doubts give his age (23) and lack of standout skill, but he’ll have a chance to prove himself Down Under.

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/08/30/76ers-second-rounder-jordan-mcrae-signs-in-australia/

Reply #490725 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:25 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754