Isaac
Years ago

36ers finally confirm Daequon Montreal signing

Twitter:

It's official....Welcome to the 36ers @DQ_MOnTreaL #36ersNation
Pretty of shots and minutes for a good big in Adelaide. Keen to see what Montreal can do in the NBL.

Topic #35290 | Report this topic

Solid Moves  
Years ago

Great news for DQ! Brilliant player and person to have around the franchise.

Reply #491046 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Interested to know exactly why it's taken 4 weeks since everyone knew he was signed until they finally announced it.
So they can make that 1 minute 22 video?

Reply #491066 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Didn't his SEABL season finish yesterday? thats more than likely the reason

Reply #491068 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Yeah, I guess that makes sense.

Reply #491070 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

http://www.adelaide36ers.com/article/id/18rx4kmdyfp991v93cn6qu0pa1

Reply #491073 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pretty obvious as many have said here previously

Reply #491075 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Joey not fussed about being 'left behind' in the NBA superstar stakes.

This NBL season is shaping to be an absolute beauty!!

Reply #491086 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

6ers will struggle this guy looks very undersized for what we need. Not sure what the thinking was, DJ made it very clear very early on he was never coming back... why did Joey even bother going to the USA for scouting... couldve saved the club even more $$$ if he had just gone to Vic for this guy!

Reply #491098 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

The only thing I can think of is Joey went to the US with every intention of finding a stud import but had the rug pulled from under him.

Of course the question still stands, why did the club pay for him to go if it were going down the Budget sensitive route?

With a better PG in Wilson, the team will be more equipped to utilise DQ's scoring abilities...especially under Joey's game.

Reply #491099 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

I think you'll be more than happy with what Montreal brings to the table.He is hungry, knows the league and how it gets called.He reminds me of James Crawford but with 3 point range.

Reply #491100 | Report this post

Ganymede 86  
Years ago

Think Joey pays for the US himself - he said so in an interview

Reply #491101 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

DQ is a smart player at seabl level it will be interesting to see how he goes in the NBL. Undersized may indeed be the key. Tough and smart with range DQ is a great player for sure. Lets hope Joey gets it right.

Reply #491104 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ha ha !!

Reply #491107 | Report this post

BMF  
Years ago

Some ppl should worry about their own game before worrying about someone else's..
You all got game right? Right?

Reply #491111 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

townsville went "cheap" last year in signing two NZBL imports and they ended up being two of the better americans in the league last year. Lots of the starry guys coming in havent played pro ball before. That can be an adjustment. It goes both ways.

Reply #491135 | Report this post

The Dream  
Years ago

NZBL stepping stone for unknown americans to the ANBL

Reply #491162 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

I could be wrong here with my limited knowledge of the history of the NBL, but haven't SEABL / Aussie state league imports worked out more often than not when they have made the jump up to the NBL?

CJ Massingale would be the exception, not the rule here, and even that has to be taken with a grain of salt: he played under quite possibly the worst coach in NBL history and was never given any discernible role or court time.

Reply #491165 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Yeah, I think they've generally been quite serviceable at least, which is far from failing in the NBL if you pair them with some half-decent locals. For each reliable SEABL-level player, there's a guy who comes in and bombs or isn't a team player or who is one-and-done without really helping build the club.

I hope Montreal turns out. On one hand, you've got all the locals complaining about the club going cheap, but it seems almost everyone who's seen him play over there is positive about his ability and character.

Reply #491166 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Yea im confident Montreal will be atleast a solid import a bit like Conklin/Pace were last season and i agree with Mick they ended up being 2 of the better imports, i was a fan of both and reckon Montreal will be seen in a similar fashion by the end of the season.

I think we get a bit too excited about 'names' or 'fresh faces' sometimes, we always think they are the next MVP.

Everyone needs to remember that Sam Young was probably the highest paid import in the league last year, whilst being pretty good,he didnt play in the playoffs or become anything special, the Hawks with a cheaper roster made the playoffs and had the league MVP.

Reply #491169 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

Remember CJ had a great game that was obviously against the coaches team philosphy at the time.

He never got a chance after that.

He wasnt brilliant but that coach had a history of not letting bench scorers shoot the ball. And when Ng or CJ chose to score, they were benched for weeks

Reply #491171 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Here is the list of those that have made the jump

http://andthefoul.net/NBLwiki/index.php?NBL%20SEABL%20imports%20crossover

There are a few duds but there are also All Stars and a Boomer as well as a DPOTY. Quite a few averaged double digits or more. There are also a few stories like Massingale where the player simply didnt get the chance to showcase what they can do.

I feel honoured that I got to see the legend Brian Fundingsland play 1 of his 2 games as a Wildcat. Stunning mo combined with a resplendent comb over that Phil Smyth was jealous of. 5'10 white guy who can dunk.

Reply #491175 | Report this post

Nutwork  
Years ago

Billy Fikes!

Reply #491193 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Montreal will join the 36ers for their next two pre-season games, then the Blitz.

Reply #491225 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"if you pair them with some half-decent locals."

I think Isaac hit the nail on the head here. Any half-decent import who comes to a situation where they can fit into a team system with good talent around them is a good chance to succeed.

The Massingale comparison isn't a good one for mine, because he didn't come into a good situation and he lacked the physical tools for the NBL, something Montreal has in spades.

Reply #491243 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

DQ can undoubtedly play and I have seen him play in the SEABL since he first arrived.
In shape, athletic and has lots of moves, range and good rebounder too.
His build is not one of size but athleticism. If he has players around him to support him he should be OK. It's not a big man's league as much as it used to be, and unfortunately time will tell. He is a known quantity, he's here and can hoop. NBL? Leave that to Joey.

Reply #491253 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:00 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754