Isaac
Years ago

Funny 2004 Southern Senior Challenge

Well, well. The Southern Tigers are raising the stakes in SA basketball with the 2004 Southern Senior Challenge!

$13,500 is up for grabs!

Don't gamble away your savings on the pokies. Get off your butts, throw your chips in and enter a team.

To be held from Friday October 1 to Monday October 4 down at Morphett Vale Stadium, the Challenge features four grades:

Open Men
Open Women
Reserve Men
Reserve Women

How does it work? You work within your club to put together a team, you come up with $350 for the reserve comp or $450 for the open comp, and then you're guaranteed 5 games on the weekend.

The winners of the men's comp snatch $3k. The winners of the women's comp take home the same amount (equal opportunity!). In the reserves comps, the prizes are halved, but that kind of figure still buys up big at a Morphett Vale sausage sizzle (put your order in for a thousand snags early!). The second place getting team and losing semi-finalists also get something, but read this document for full info.

2004 Southern Senior Challenge Information

Topic #353 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

For those too lazy to read the doc, but have questions, here's some more info.

Players in the Open Comp must be over the age of 16. No team in this division can boast more than two contracted NBL/WNBL players.

In the Reserve Comp, NBL/WNBL contracted players are not permitted and teams cannot nominate any player who has "participated in more than 5 State League games, or an equivalent competition, in the immediate prior season".

It is recommended that you get in fast because places may well fill quickly. Send your questions to the Tigers Treasurer (John O'Connor).

Talk to your clubs about nominating teams. Nominations close on Friday September 3.

Reply #2664 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I'm surprised this hasn't brought more discussion. Don't procrastinate -- imagine finding out that I'd entered a team and won by default because no one else gave it a shot.

Who's considering entering a team?

Players can be from the same club, or a mixture (John will correct me if I'm wrong) so if you have a bunch of friends, put a team together.

10 people will usually spend more than $350 on a night out anyway. $7 a game per player if you run 10 people. You don't walk away from many weekends of basketball with $3k (or a few thousand sausages). (Either that or I'm going to the wrong games).

For spectators, I believe it's $5 a day, or $15 for the weekend. Kids under 16 get in for a solitary buck, or for free if accompanied by an adult.

The Sixers are playing away that weekend, so you won't be missing much at the Dome.

Reply #2711 | Report this post

Don't be fooled by no chatter on the forum. The ball is rolling in a couple of corners. If I was putting a team in a wouldn't want others to know who was in it, for fear of poaching (is there a rule on poaching Southern Challenge players??). Maybe Incognito could make one up for the weeks leading up to the event!!!!

Reply #2718 | Report this post

incognito  
Years ago

Yea, bring in the draft - NBA style.

Reply #2720 | Report this post

Yosemite Sam  
Years ago

The invitation has been extended Australia wide expect a good carnival with quality participants. Minimum 5 game,$13,500 prize money, quality refs paid above 'award' rates, Southern hospitality and the rest.

Reply #2737 | Report this post

solid gold  
Years ago

this is a great concept. Me thinks the tigers are going to make some good coin and have a bit of fun in the process. With their domestic comp up and running, this club is on the rise.

Reply #2778 | Report this post

Interested  
Years ago

Is this prize money for real? I have been reading with interest, this sort of carnival exists in Victoria, big stakes comes to SA.

Is there much interest out there?

Reply #2848 | Report this post

John O'Connor  
Years ago

Interested, the prize money is real.

Invitations have just been distributed to all SA District clubs, SA Country Associations, Victorian Metro and Country Associations.

There are places for 12 teams for the each of the open competitions and 16 teams for each of the reserves competitions. We expect to fill all places.

Any questions please email me - [email protected]

Reply #2864 | Report this post

Northerner  
Years ago

What's the go with this? I havent't heard nada from the organiser. Is it still going ahead??

Reply #7028 | Report this post

unknown  
Years ago

i havent heard any thinjg about dis

Reply #7029 | Report this post

Ian  
Years ago

will the Bar be open all weekend?

Reply #81452 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:26 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754