Anonymous
Years ago

Boomers Grades

Given the first 3 games of the world cup, what grades would everyone give the Boomers players? My Take is:

Joe Ingles - A - shooting 70% and averaging 16 points. Getting good assists and steals and playing well. Only downsides are defensively lazy when playing help side and low rebounding numbers

Aron Baynes - A - has a really improved post game and doing well on the boards. Plays with a lot of heart. Downsides are a few turnovers and isn't a shot blocking threat as a 5 man (would be a lot better as a PF next to Bogut)

Ryan Broekhoff -B+ - biggest surprise and hitting 62% of 3 point shots is great. Very good 3 and D player and got a lot of deflections last night. Solid defender. Needs to improve his all round offensive game as he doesn't have a shot fake and drive move and when Australia go through 3 or 4 possessions with no basket he still just sits in the corner rather than helping create a shot.

Brad Newley - B+ - playing his role well. Solid defence off the bench, shooting 50%. Mixing up jump shots and penetration. Used to the Euro style of play and will be useful come finals time.

Matty Dellavedova - B - has been solid, but not as good as what everyone hoped so far. Getting 8ppg and 5apg and playing tough as nails defence, but he has had too many turnovers (3ppg) and shot the ball badly 33% (although 50% for 3). Hope he improves in the next few games

Brock Motum - C+ - up and down so far. Gets good position and makes some good moves inside. Gets offensive boards and one of the better big defenders laterally. However, has made stupid fouls as times, isn't a shot blocker and still a little experienced by the vets who suck him into dumb fouls.

David Andersen - C - so frustrating. This has to be his last tournament. He did hit some clutch shots last night, but he stuffed up so much more. He is shooting 29% from the field and taking more shots than Joe Ingles per game!! He can't defend guards on the switch. Positive is that he is getting a few crucial boards (and a few clutch shots). I would rather see Motum play more though.

Cam Bairstow - C - had a good game against the undersized Korea, but really hasn't been given much opportunity elsewhere due to dumb fouls and turnovers. Shooting 88% is good, but isn't really a factor on defence

Adam Gibson - C - I think he has moved ahead of Exum in the rotations (even though Exum is first PG subbed in, Gibbo goes into the games late when Delly needs a rest not Dante). Safe pair of hands, but he doesn't take the game on as he wants to get other people their shot. Can be a good thing, but he needs teams to repeat his shot. Low turnovers have been good.

Nate Jawai - D+ - He sucked pre-tournament and was a wasted player taken, but last night he was great. With no fast PG's on the floor he showed why he is good in Europe banging against the big bodies, rebounding well, setting tough picks. Against Korea he was too slow and needs to get much fitter to become a force. His skill set is more of a PF than C and makes good passé. He forced a few bad shots last nights on drives, but unlikely he will get a block until he loses 20kgs

Dante Exum - D - It's been great experience for him and he made a few nice moves in junk time vs Korea, but against the Euro guards in Slovenia and Finland he was shown up a bit. Lightning quick, but the offences we run don't help him at all. He looked best when the shot clock is down and he just has to drive. 25% shooting, 1.3ppg and 1.7apg is what ou would expect from a 19 year old. He will be great in 2 more years

Chris Goulding - D - only played 10 minutes of junk time against Korea and scored in last 1 second of the game. Broekhoff obviously has played ahead of him because he is a better defender (and possibly shooter). This is the John Rille/James Harvey/Peter Crawford spot on the team and will only get on the floor if they need that shot.

Topic #35310 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Joe Ingles - A+ - What a tournament so far from Ingles. On the offensive end we'd be lost without him. Scoring, shooting, playmaking. His efficiency has been ridiculous. The NBA is calling after this.

Baynes - A - Along with Ingles, Baynes has been our star player. A force in the post, he's constantly scored inside and grabbed rebounds. A presence like his inside is a great asset for the team.

Newley - A - If you told me a few weeks ago that i'd be giving Newley an A i'd laugh at you. In his role off the bench Newley has been a force. Scoring, forcing turnovers, making plays etc. Newley has been a key part of this team. What i love about his play this tournament is that he's not forcing the issue like he normally does and is letting the game come to him.

Broekhoff - B - Our best shooter by far, Broekhoff has been deadly from 3 point land and in FIBA play that is always useful. The only problem is that other than shooting he doesn't really give the team anything. Whenever i've seen him put the ball on the floor and try and create something he's turned it over.

Dellavadova - B- - Our key playmaker and leader, Delly has looked a shadow of his 2012 self. While still not bad or anything he's turned the ball over more frequently and isn't that threat to score and make plays that he was in London. He also seems to struggle against pressure defense.

Brock Motum - C+ - Has scored and rebounded effectively but commits way too many fouls and can get trigger happy with his jumpshot.

Bairstow - C - Probably the most disappointing Boomer for mine. I thought he'd be one of our best this tournament. Like Motum, he's commited too many fouls and just hasn't really gotten into the swing of things. To be fair, he should be starting in front of Anderson.

Exum - C - Exum has made some nice plays in limited minutes but has been way to timid. He needs to get more agressive and drive more. Try and get some fouls and baskets at the hoop or dish outs. Often he'll just bring the ball up and pass it off. Some of his passes have been works of art though.

Jawai - C - It's kind of hard to rate Jawai considering he's barely played this tournament. His play against Lithuania was fantastic in limited minutes. If he continues that way this C will change by the end.

Gibson - D - Gibson hasn't really done anything this tournament and really, shouldn't even be on the team.

Goulding - D - To be fair, he hasn't gotten much playing time but really hasn't done anything

Anderson - F - One of the worst basketball performances i've ever seen so far. Constantly missing shots, turning the ball over, not rebounding, terrible defense. I don't know whats worse, the fact that he's starting or the fact that he thinks he's one of our key players and constantly takes (and misses shots). The fact that he's a respected European player and has played in the NBA is laughable.

Reply #491472 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You give Exum a C and Gibson a D? I feel Gibson has been much better than Exum.

Reply #491517 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

I think people have their unwarranted prejudices when it comes to Adam Gibson, maybe they wanted Damien Martin on the team? Maybe they didn't like his play in previous tournaments? But he has been a more than solid back up for Delly at these Worlds, has shown poise and control, also he feeds the post as good as anyone on the team and is energetic on defence. Really, what more do you want from the guy?

Adam Gibson B
Matthew Dellavedova B
Joe Ingles A
Brad Newley B+
Aron Baynes A
Broekhoff B
Brock Motum C
Cam Bairstow C -
Exum D +
Jawai D + (his performance last night saves him from F)
Anderson D - ( a few nice shots, but is too unco, fumbles too regularly)

Reply #491518 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Baynes A
Ingles A
Newley B+
Broekhoff B+
Dellavedova B
Motum C+
Anderson C+
Jawai C+
Gibson C+
Exum D+
Bairstow D+
Goulding ?

Reply #491519 | Report this post

Pauly B  
Years ago

I think we're judging Exum pretty harshly. He's a 19yo at his first major international tournament playing behind Delly. Sure, he hasn't exactly set the world on fire but you can't say he's played badly. I'd give him a C

Reply #491522 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Exum hasn't been terrible.. but by 19 I think people expect a bit more. Shit what was Andrew Gaze doing at 19?

Reply #491528 | Report this post

Pauly B  
Years ago

Playing his first NBL season. Totally different players, 30 years apart.

Reply #491537 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"You give Exum a C and Gibson a D? I feel Gibson has been much better than Exum."

Gibson been pretty much a non factor whereas atleast Exum has made some nice plays and assists.

Reply #491542 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

I'll give 2 rankings. The basic ranking of how they've done. Then the ranking relative to what I expected (C+ would be even to expectation).

Ingles: A+/A+. Literally couldn't have done any more the first 3 games. He's come a long way since the Olympics, where he was already very good. Our best player.

Baynes: A/A. I expected a fair bit from him, and he's still gone well above that. We'd be struggling without him, is our best inside presence by a huge margin.

Broekhoff: B+/A+++. Pretty much hadn't heard of the guy, just knew he could shoot 3s. And that's an understatement. Defense has been very handy too. I'm impressed. A+++ compared to expectations because I had him earmarked for the Goulding role.

Dellavedova: B+/B. Had fairly high expectations of him, and he's at least met them. I don't see him as the 'he's in the NBA, so he's going to dominate' type of player. Just someone that you can throw into any given team and he'd perform just as well, no matter the competition. Which has basically been the case. Probably hasn't worked quite as well as a tandem with Baynes as he did in the Olympics.

Newley: A/A. Didn't think much of his Olympics from what I remember, so he's been a pleasant surprise. Definitely rate what he's bringing to the team.

Motum: C+/C+. Pretty much what I expected from him. Which was him being solid, unspectacular. Likes to throw his weight around a bit.

Bairstow: D+/D. Dunno, maybe I just expected more from him. Hasn't really done anything that made me notice yet.

Andersen: D/D-. Lemanis likes him, not sure why. Seems to be getting minutes on reputation. He's our Nielsen from the Olympics, living on past achievements. Did hit a couple big shots last night though. I'll give him that.

Gibson: C+/B+. Wasn't expecting much from him, and he's been getting good minutes and playing good solid basketball. Doesn't really take the game on, just protects the ball and moves it, but in a way, that's a good thing.

Exum: D+/D. He's quick and athletic and raw. Basically as advertised. Only, he more often than not seems out of control with his speed. He's a bit doomed by the hype though, will take a long time and a lot of development before he reaches his 'expectations'. Still very young and sky is the limit, just not right now.

Jawai: C+/B+. B+ for expectations just shows how little I rated him heading in. I like his court vision and his passing. It's not something I remember from him. Played actually really well last night. Would actually like to see everyone shuffle up one and Andersen to fall to his spot.

Goulding: U/D-. I've given him a U for Unranked, because basically he hasn't played any meaningful minutes. D- for expectations because I thought he'd be 10/11th man on the list in front of Broekhoff and possibly Gibson and come in to knock down shots from time to time. Good effort by him to make the team though, can't take that away from him at all.

Reply #491550 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What was Patty Mills doing at 19? Scorching team USA while playing 6th man for the Boomers. What was Bogut doing at 19? Stop making excuses.

Reply #491640 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Exum & Tai Webster are the same age. Tai looks way more confident than Exum but his dad has never dunked on Gaze.

Reply #491642 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

The difference between Tai and Dante is the work they've put in to this point.

Tai has been working daily on his game and his body for 2-3 years at the Breakers and then Nebraska. Dante hasn't been in any sort of professional environment to make those strides. Watch him take off now that he'll be working on his craft on a daily basis.

Reply #491645 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

I don't doubt that now he's in that environment he will excel but he's behind the eight ball a little. IMO he would have benefitted greatly as a player going to college but alas his draft stocks wouldn't.

Reply #491646 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You can't have it both ways! Exum chose to hide so his draft stock wouldn't suffer at the expense of his own development and experience. He can't fall back on the lack of experience when it's his own decision, and people have every right to question why the 6th NBA pick can't even get on the floor for the Australian national team. The man who fooled the world - it will be an ESPN 30 for 30 in a few years.

Reply #491648 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think he should have locked in with an NBL club, even if he didn't play for them. That way he would have got the development without jeopardising his draft position.

Reply #491653 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Gibson been pretty much a non factor whereas atleast Exum has made some nice plays and assists.
Seemed to me that ABC2 ran a half-time montage of Gibson's contributions. He's been far from a non-factor.

Reply #491689 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"You can't have it both ways! Exum chose to hide so his draft stock wouldn't suffer at the expense of his own development and experience. He can't fall back on the lack of experience when it's his own decision, and people have every right to question why the 6th NBA pick can't even get on the floor for the Australian national team. The man who fooled the world - it will be an ESPN 30 for 30 in a few years."

Seniority is prevalent in international ball. It's the reason why Hezojna won't play much for Croatia this tournament and why Rubio wasn't even starting for Spain after he was drafted.

People need to give this kid atleast 1 NBA season before totally calling bust on him...jeez.

Reply #491740 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Seemed to me that ABC2 ran a half-time montage of Gibson's contributions. He's been far from a non-factor."

Non factor may of been a bit harsh. I'd change my grade to a C.

Reply #491742 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Rubio didn't start because he wasn't their best guard. If youngsters don't play it's often because players with more experience are getting the important jobs done better.

Reply #491745 | Report this post

Annon  
Years ago

Goulding is a shooter and only a shooter. Needs to develop a complete game before he enters this level. A team can not spend their entire game creating a shot for him. Overated and so tired of hearing about him. Come back in a couple of years after he has been under a decent coach (not Anstey) who doesn't glorify him and like a parent gives him some tough love with his best interest at heart. Not interested if he is a nice guy. There are plenty of nice guys waiting for a spot on the team and deserving of it.

Reply #491749 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Rubio didn't start because he wasn't their best guard. If youngsters don't play it's often because players with more experience are getting the important jobs done better."

His game hasn't developed a whole lot and now he's starting for them...

Reply #491768 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:48 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754