Gin 'N Juice
Years ago

Adam Gibson - World Cup

Adam Gibson has been the better PG off of the bench then anyone else. Anyone who says otherwise is watching a totally different game to me, or has no idea about how to play real basketball. Not NBA ball (I do love NBA ball though ;) )
He brings tenacious fall court defense, is always harassing the handler, makes great decisions on offense and never turns the ball over. The only thing that he is doing wrong is not shooting the ball enough.
Exum is unlucky because of all the hype he received. 19 years old and making the national team? Shows that he can only get better. Give him time. He will be great in 2-4 years.

On another topic. David Andersen is useless and shouldn't start, and frankly, shouldn't be on the team. Lucas Walker would have been a much better option David Andersen. Walker can hit the three, is athletic, can defend bigs. All of those things, David has struggled with every game. Should not have been selected. Possibly the worst decision Lemanis has made as the coach.

All in all, I'm loving this Boomers team! Fun to watch when Andersen isn't on the floor. Jawai has been a beast. I would like to see Goulding get minutes, but I understand that his defense may be the issue.

Anyway, great World Cup so far for the Boomers! Gettin' buckets.

Topic #35315 | Report this topic

Maxymoo  
Years ago

Gibbo wasn't in my original projections for a WC position.....happy to stand corrected, he has been solid, disciplined and a team player.

Reply #491628 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

I always thought he played the point better than 2 spot, because as the OP pointed out, he just doesn't shoot the ball enough. Running the point he appears to thrive with the responsibility. I think the Sixers would have been better off playing Gibbo as the point and recruiting a pure shooter as the import instead of another point guard.

Thoughts?

Reply #491629 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Start Gibbo over Delly!

Reply #491638 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Completely agree spinner, sometimes I feel as I'm watching a different game. Gibbo is awesome at point IMO and would love to see an import SG at the sixers to pair with him.

Reply #491649 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Gibbo has really developed his game the past two years with more responsibility in Adelaide, and it's great to see that translating internationally.

I think Wilson is a very different type of player and will complement Gibbo very well. The two will spend plenty of time with the ball in their hands.

Wilson will spearhead transition and create at the end of the shotclock, Gibbo will organise the offence like he is doing so well for the Boomers.

Reply #491651 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gin 'n' Juice think you have been drinking too much of your product saying lucas walker would have been a better choice than Andersen.

Walker clearly too small to play the 4/5 spot. in international play he would be a 3 man and sitting on the bench behind Inlges, Newley.

If Bogut was playing, I dare say that Jawai may not have made the team, and Anderen would have been used sparingly in Jawai's role.

Andersen is long, helps spread the floor for the slashers/cutters like Inlges and Newley and if left open can punish from long range when his game is going.

I agree that Andersen does struggle with the perimeter defence we have been forced to play this tournament, every team we have played so far has some fantastic long rang shooters.

Reply #491656 | Report this post

Jeff  
Years ago

Gin N Juice. You seriously have no idea about world hoops. if you think Anderson doesn't bring something to the team that Walker does then you are simply a fool. He is the best available player for this team in the role required and does start because of his length and experience playing against Euro bigs - he isn't Bogut mate. Get over it - he didn't play well but I don't see you on here slamming Ingles for a horrid game last night. Why? Ingles role is to score and last night he didn't. Apply the same argument. No doubt Gin N Juice, your the undersized big who thinks that starting 5 is the be all and end all of being on a team. Understand the roles that people play to help the team.

Reply #491658 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

Not a great fan of Walker but he has improved in leaps and bounds and Andersen has been so frustrating in the championship.

Your post is ridiculous when you think about what you have said.

"Gin 'n' Juice think you have been drinking too much of your product saying lucas walker would have been a better choice than Andersen.

Walker clearly too small to play the 4/5 spot. in international play he would be a 3 man and sitting on the bench behind Inlges, Newley."

You say he is too small. Anderson plays primarily the 4. Mika Vukona might have something to say about how big you need to be to play the 4 internationally. What advantage does Andersen's height give him? When he gets the ball inside he almost always fails to convert anyway.

"Andersen is long, helps spread the floor for the slashers/cutters like Inlges and Newley and if left open can punish from long range when his game is going."

Yes he might be longer but again what use does he put his length to. Shit rebounder and shot blocker. Walker would shoot the ball better from the perimeter IMO so he would help spread the floor even more. Also would be more affective on the boards with his athleticism and hustle.

"I agree that Andersen does struggle with the perimeter defence we have been forced to play this tournament, every team we have played so far has some fantastic long rang shooters".

This is the most laughable of your reasoning. So you state that stretch bigs have given us trouble in EVERY game yet advocate a guy who is terrible defending this very thing over a guy where defence and mobility are his strongest assets.

Lack of mobile 4 is one of our biggest weaknesses with this team.

It's fine having height if you use it.

Reply #491660 | Report this post

Go Boomers  
Years ago

Don't think Joe had a terrible game but he was certainly matched up well - don't think he got loose to much and was defended hard almost in a tagging role.

Agree when Gibbo on the floor its a different game as for Anderson he needs to wake up and switch on can be good but has to be playing with intent.

Go Boomers

Reply #491668 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

Gibson D is sensational. Making up for the sporadic offence the team is producing.

Reply #491670 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gibbo seems like a perfect role player when he needs to work his butt off on the defensive end to earn minutes.

I haven't liked his effort on defense the last few seasons in the nbl since he became a number 1 or 2 option on offense.

He has been the perfect backup point guard in this tournament.

Lemanis is a smart man and great coach although I can't understand the Andersen fetish. He isn't good.

Reply #491671 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

Anderson was disappointing but Baynes was looking quite tired during the second half. Jawaii is the big surprise for me, looks very efficient on the court, but I guess he has to be carrying that weight.

Reply #491672 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Comparing Andersen and Walker doesn't make sense, they are very different players.

Walker should be in this team ahead of Motum. I never thought I'd say it 12 months ago, but Waxy has developed into that athletic, mobile, hustling, defence first 3-4 man we've been looking for for a while.

As for Andersen, his value became crystal clear as he made those big plays down the stretch against Lithuania. He isn't having a great tournament but he adds a lot to the team as the veteran of the group.

We need Daniel Johnson to discover the first letter in his first name so he can step in to replace Dave. DJ would be perfect in this system if only he could defend.

Reply #491673 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Steindl would be more useful to this team than Motum.

Reply #491675 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I've also been impressed by Gibson this tournament. Playing his role well.

We need Daniel Johnson to discover the first letter in his first name so he can step in to replace Dave. DJ would be perfect in this system if only he could defend.
You could say the same about Ogilvy, Khazzouh, Kickert and so on, right?

Reply #491692 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

In some ways, if all were tougher defensively they would be closer to a Boomers gig.

But I don't feel any of those others have the combination of natural offensive talent, range and speed that DJ possesses. He is a freakish player at 6'10-6'11.

Reply #491695 | Report this post

Annon  
Years ago

I would have liked to see DJ under Joey for another year. His D improved last season along with many other aspects of his game and many haters were converted. He was well on his way to becoming the player we all know he can be under Joeys guidance... Hope he doesn't lose that momentum and be swallowed up in the big pool with all the language barriers..

Reply #491698 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Paul - Andersen's defense (pick n roll d, paint protection, rebounding, shot blocking) is one of the most frustrating elements of his game. I'd be happy to watch DJ make me equally frustrated on the defensive end.

Also don't let Jenni Screen veiw this thread, she'll talk about Andersens faboulous contributions over the last 10 years, when we are mainly talking about the last 4 games and the next 4 games.

Reply #491699 | Report this post

Annon  
Years ago

Maybe Gibbo will get some interest !!!

Reply #491700 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

If Gibbo had a Euro passport he certainly would.

Reply #491703 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Gibbo has impressed me particularly with his defence.

Reply #491707 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's been solid but i'd still prefer some more of his minutes been given to Exum.

I don't understand how anyone could defend Andersen. He has been HORRIBLE this tournament. He's made some shots now and again but everything else about his game is terrible.

Anyone would be an upgrade over him. I'd prefer Bairstow or Motum to start over him.

Reply #491733 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Re Exum, if you look at the three games against quality opponents (Slo, Lith, Mex), the team was -16 in his 21 minutes on court. They were +21 over the other 99 minutes and +12 in the 34 minutes Gibson was on court against those teams.

Reply #491743 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kickert would have been better than Anderson. He's 4 years younger and tho not a great athlete, flat out baller who would not make the mental mistakes or show the lack of hustle

Reply #491760 | Report this post

MCV  
Years ago

Before the World Cup I would never have picked Walker over Anderson. And I'm a Tigers fan (now a United fan, by default). But maybe Walker would've been a better option. He's an underrated rebounder. Or even Kickert.

Gibson, I didn't think would be so useful. They got that selection right.

Reply #491770 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

If only aniel Johnson played a bit more D I would have him in team over Andersen or Kickert.

Reply #491786 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anderson is so frustrating but deserves his place in the team. He is an "almost" player and always has been. He is long moves resonably well and shoots from the perimeter well but just makes some mistakes that are almost all mental lapses.
He is our current best option as the stretch 4 which is needed at international level, kickert is a lumbering 5, walker a 3, johnson has worse defence than Anderson and shoots the ball more than Russell Westbrook, there is a reason we have two backups in motum and bairstow for Anderson and didnt take Simmons in a learning role and thats because everyone knows how fragile Andersons game is but also that if it wasnt for the mind lapses he has a decent shot, makes reasonable decisions, is very long and gets up and down reasonably well.

It is easy to make him the whipping boy but the guy has had a very good euro career was decent in the NBA but unfortunately isnt the star we all want him to be

Reply #491835 | Report this post

Gin 'N Juice  
Years ago

Jeff, you are saying that Andersen brings experience. I definitely agree with that statement. But does that mean he should be getting a starting role? I don't think so. Much like Steven Adams should be starting over Kendrick Perkins for OKC. Experience is valuable, but it does not have to be on the court for 25 mins a game. You can still add to the game on the bench, especially when we have guys like Bairstow and Motum, who need mentoring. His basketball play does not match his experience. He isn't shooting the ball well, can't finish around the rim, doesn't have a clue on defense and is not athletic at all.
Ingles was shutdown defensively last night. A great job by the Mexicans. Andersen doesn't get shutdown defensively, he just can't secure the ball and stagnates the offense.
Also, I am not an undersized big. So before you go and throw around accusations, hold your tongue, and think about what your about to say and make sure you have any information to back it up.
You wanna know the funny thing JEFF, I came off of the bench for every single game in a national championship. So I am pretty sure I don't think the starting 5 is the be all and end all. Dante was a bastard to try and tag out of a game.
Also, for those people saying Walker is a 3. Really? He is the same height as Kenneth Faried, can shoot the ball a whole lot better, is athletic (like Faried), tenacious on defence and hustles for loose balls. He is the white, Australian Manimal! Im pretty sure he could play the 4. I still think he would add more to then team the Dave Andersen.

Reply #491900 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Walker is a 3-4. Could definitely play both internationally.

Reply #491916 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

My issue on Andersen and basically all out bigs is the lack of rim protection that this team has.

Why so few blocks no matter the line up?

Hopefully we get some later in the tournament when we need it

Reply #491929 | Report this post

Mark  
Years ago

LOL.....Gotta be a troll!

Reply #491930 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

From this stage of the tournament, I think we have to go exclusively with Gibson as backup point. He has been a surprise for me this tournament, as I didn't even want him on the team. But he has proven that he totally deserves his spot, playing his role very well. We need to accept that Exum is not ready to be a main rotation player. This is the knockout stage now-- no time for development.

Another surprise to me is that I could envisage a role for Walker on this team. I don't know why Lemanis insists on playing Andersen at the 4 spot. I thought Lemanis preferred his 4s to be mobile. I think Walker would have surprised a lot of people and pushed his way into main rotation minutes had he made the team. Andersen should be getting more limited minutes, but given those crucial minutes down the stretch when his experience is most valuable.

Reply #492275 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:14 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754