paul
Years ago

New Zealand v Ukraine

Very solid 73-61 win by the Tall Blacks, who led for most of the first half but looked like they were being overrun in the third quarter.

In steps Ev Bartlett with two straight transition triples, then Corey Webster hits one of his own in trans and NZ were never really threatened after.

Bartlett had 14p on 4/5, C-Web 11p on 4/7, Fotu 10p and 10r, Penney 17p on 6/14, T-Web 8p, 7r and 3a, and Vukona 7p, 6r and 2a.

Bartlett, Fotu and Casey Frank (4p, 4r, 4a, awesome post defence were all about +20.

The margin helps the Kiwis, and a win tomorrow over Finland will give them a real chance of progressing.

Topic #35316 | Report this topic

Sharod  
Years ago

Personally think that Barlett should deserve a spot in the ANBL if there is still spot to be filled. His long range jumper consistency throughout this World Cup tour reminds me his time with the Wildcats, when he is in good form he is a capable combo guard in the NBL.

Reply #491631 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Meanwhile Angola is 6 up on Slovenia late in the third!

Reply #491632 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All th NZ boys could play NBL-
Kenny, Frank, Bartlett and Tait were decent yest against US and that is the benchmark.

Reply #491637 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Props to the Tall Blacks on the win. Now for Finland.

Reply #491639 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

It was a very good win. They were seriously challenged by a team who could have locked up second place with the win, and they turned the tide and pulled away again. C-Web putting some bad turnovers aside to make some big buckets down the stretch.

Reply #491643 | Report this post

Cobra  
Years ago

NZ only have Finland left. So if they win that game, they will make it.

If my calculations are correct, if USA go 5-0 (which they will) and NZ beat Finland, the winner of the Turkey/Dominican Rep game will finish 2nd. The loser will then falls into a tie with Ukraine and NZ.

Based on goal percentage, NZ will finish 4th if Turkey win and play Slovenia. NZ will finish 3rd if Dominican Rep win and play................AUSTRALIA!

I skipped ahead on the schedule, so I hope what I have said is correct.

Reply #491647 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I believe you are correct. C'mon Kiwis. I hope they get fourth though, I think they would be a sneaky chance against Slovenia in the Round of 16.

Reply #491650 | Report this post

annonymous  
Years ago

Good to see Vucinic actually give extended minutes to the players who were playing well in the game especially Isaac Fotu. Thought he had a great game and it was good to see him actually try some post up moves. Something which Rob Loe despite his size lacks which is really frustrating to see.

Reply #491715 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'll start by saying, I'm an Aussie, but kudos to NZ on the win. I've watched a few of their games now and Bartlett definitely should be in the NBL. I've seen Fotu play at Hawaii and think he will be a great player for the tall blacks.

For mine, the 2 things hurting the all blacks is the lack of a great PG and height/length at the forward spots. What are the chances of someone like Cedric Jackson naturalising?

In 2 years time, I could imagine this squad going for the Olympics

PG - Cedric Jackson / Tai Webster / Everad Bartlett
SG - Corey Webster / Kirk Penney (at 36) / Ruben Te Rangi
SF - Tom Abercrombie / BJ Anthony (needs to get fitter) / Duane Bailey
PF - Isaac Fotu / Mike Vukona (at 34) / Rob Loe (needs to get faster)
C - Steve Adams / Alex Pledger / Jack Salt

Reply #491723 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This may be a bit delayed as i just found out about it recently. But it was poor form from Turkey to walk away from the Haka. Very disrespectful.

Reply #491730 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Very true - interesting how they follow the direction as they are walking

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyjf4mzfcxU

Reply #491748 | Report this post

The Dream  
Years ago

Good Win . Bartlett showing his worth

really doubted him until that game against team usa

surely can sneak a spot in the ANBL

Corey Webster was star struck against the usa

Reply #491758 | Report this post

Annon  
Years ago

Just loved NZ rotating the Haka as they followed the Turkeys to the bench.... Fantastic stuff….

Reply #491772 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:59 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754