Roger Kakulas
Years ago

Mathiang Muo cut by Perth Wildcats

Was told today his contract with the Wildcats would not be registered with the NBL

Leaves the Cats with 2 spots and 5 points?

Possibly Drake UÚ coming back with a 1 point 10th player?

Topic #35380 | Report this topic

RMQ  
Years ago

Muo > U'u.

U were told or you just got the members first email.

I'd expect the wildcats to have a gun returning college player.

Reply #493083 | Report this post

Roger Kakulas  
Years ago

Sorry RMQ i meant that Muo was told

I did just receive the member email

Just thought i would pass on to the Hoops community

Not trying to big note

Reply #493084 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

Email to members:

The Perth Wildcats have elected not to sign Mathiang Muo to its 2014/15 playing roster.

In June last year, the Wildcats entered into a three-year agreement with Muo, however upon arrival he tore his Achilles tendon, ruling him out of the entire 2013/14 season.

The injury was surgically repaired and rehabilitation was expected to take 15 months.

While his recovery is well ahead of schedule, the club has decided not to register an NBL contract for the 27-year-old small forward.

Given the Perth Wildcats recruitments to date, the club will now look to sign a shooting guard for the upcoming season and expect to make an announcement shortly.

The Wildcats will fulfil all of its financial commitments to Muo, while at the same time supporting him with his basketball aspirations, either with the club or at another NBL team - if the opportunity arises.

"Mathiang Muo is one of the best human beings I have worked with during my time at this organisation. He's a hard worker and a great team man," said managing director Nick Marvin.

“This decision has been an emotionally difficult one to make, but the team’s best interests have to come first. We sincerely wish Mathiang all the very best.”

The Perth Wildcats have two positions remaining on its 2014/15 roster.

Reply #493085 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

Must have someone lined up this late that isn't someone who will just fill the spot surely?

Doesn't really free up a whole heap of points with a back up PG also required.

Who has a list of returning college SG's?

Reply #493086 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

I really hope that this was not to allow room for Luke Martin. It was rumored that they were interested in him earlier.

Reply #493089 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

Whoever is signed, if they aren't better than Muo then I would be upset.

Could be any SG on this list I guess?

http://pickandroll.com.au/aussies-in-college-complete-listing-men-2013-2014/

Reply #493091 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Bad luck for Muo his NBL career looks over before it began.
I also hope it's not to allow Luke Martin to join Perth.
Would like to think they already have someone lined up.

Reply #493093 | Report this post

Roger Kakulas  
Years ago

RMQ

How good is Muo?

Reply #493094 | Report this post

WABoy  
Years ago

21/8/2014 https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/basketball/a/24773648/daniels-carries-cats-expectations/

Meanwhile, the Wildcats are interested in signing former Sydney and Wollongong player Luke Martin as a back-up point-guard.

But the club faces a potential stumbling block in the controversial player points equalisation system.

The Wildcats have just two points left under the 70-point cap and Martin is rated as a three-point player.

Martin, who trained with the Wildcats today, could appeal his points rating.

Reply #493096 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

Obviously I don't know the full circumstances but seems pretty poor form for Perth to drop him this late in the pre-season, denying him a chance to sign with another team who's rosters are mostly full.

Reply #493098 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Naburgs

Reply #493100 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

Not really that poor form when they are going to fulfil their financial obligations to him, another 2 years left on his contract. Shame he probably wont be able to get an NBL gig this season but should be picked up in the expansion next season pretty easily.

Reply #493102 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Naburgs would be a very good replacement IMO. Feel for Muo though too as he was a lights out shooter at college.

Reply #493106 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Would many other NBL clubs fulfil their financial obligations?
I hope we don't sign Luke Martin but if so what shooting guard options are rated 1 or 2 points I can't think of many perhaps Ben Purser.

Reply #493107 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Sad story for Muo. But I am sure other clubs would be looking at him next season.

If he doesn't get a gig/play in the NBL, at least he walks away with probably $200k approx. from the club (including last year's salary).

Nice little bonus to put towards your first home.

Reply #493111 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Should the Hawks or Kings sign him to replace Joyce or Cooks??

Reply #493112 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Very strange! He performed well in the SBL and in the pre-season so far?

Reply #493113 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

For those that know....is Muo > Daly?

Reply #493114 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

is Ryan Broekhoff signed this coming season?

Just trying to see who would be a better upgrade and who's availiable

Reply #493117 | Report this post

Silencer83  
Years ago

Broekhoff would be a 9 coming from Europe.

Reply #493121 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why would the Wildcats sign a 30 something year old back up point like Luke Martin who was terrible in his last year at Sydney when they have a local boy like Kyle Armour who was All Star 5 in SBL. Whoever gets the gig will be lucky to play 5 minutes a game anyway so why not bring through the local talent and give him a shot plus he is only 1 point.

Reply #493122 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

agreed. Kyle seems like the obvious one to sign for the PG spot. very consistent player. What he lacks in size he makes up in speed. still the Muo situation is intriguing.

Reply #493124 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Muo got cut due to work ethic etc? A problem with many Sudanese.

Reply #493126 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

#126 Do you have any proof he was cut due to work ethic?
Is a pointless generalization otherwise.

Reply #493132 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No I don't hence the question mark. It was a question.

Geez

Reply #493134 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How can they afford another player if his salary is guarenteed. There is still a salary cap!!!. Redhage, martin, beal etc wouldnt be cheap.

Reply #493137 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Ok thanks for clearing that up #126 you just have problems with Sudanese.

Reply #493140 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

How can they afford another player if his salary is guarenteed. There is still a salary cap!!!.
If you cut a player, that money isn't counted towards the salary cap. Why would it be when they're not playing?

Reply #493149 | Report this post

Roger Kakulas  
Years ago

Its the Wildcats; they must be cheating the cap or flopping or something.......

Reply #493151 | Report this post

Naph  
Years ago

Elsewhere on the internet:

Poster1: I hear they let Ocker Jock go.
Poster2: A racist so-and-so etc was he? A problem with many Australians...
Poster1: Do you have any reason to think Ocker Jock is racist?
Poster2: I don't know if he is racist, that's why I asked with a question mark! (I'm not saying he is, but I'm not going to withdraw my generalisation either, everyone knows "they" are racist right?)

Furthermore you're making a post, on a social forum, in the middle of the work day, to generalise an entire ethnicity's work ethic? Really?

Reply #493159 | Report this post

Ganymede 86  
Years ago

Disappointing cutting him without enough time to find another gig this year.

Reply #493170 | Report this post

Wildcats80  
Years ago

Roger, just another ignorant and anti cats comment. Grow up

Reply #493174 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

what an odd thing to say. you must know many sudanese to make that assumption.

Reply #493185 | Report this post

ajk34  
Years ago

Bennie Lewis is still around - any chance?

Reply #493188 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

From how he spoke at the 13/14 season launch, work ethic would NOT have been the concern with Muo. Seemed a straight arrow with a solid work ethic.

I'm frankly flabbergasted at the decision unless they have something unusual in the pipes.

Reply #493200 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not sure if it's been mentioned elsewhere, but is Erik Burdon heading back there? If not, any interest from other clubs?

Reply #493201 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So why did the Wildcats make so much of his return only to cut him a few days later?

Reply #493208 | Report this post

Ganymede 86  
Years ago

36ers announcing a player signing tomorrow. Muo or Tom Daly?

Reply #493211 | Report this post

Wildcat Fan  
Years ago

Disappointed about this. Was really looking forward to seeing him play. Hope he can secure a playing gig somewhere else soon.

Reply #493230 | Report this post

on_the_court  
Years ago

Ambiguous statement from Marvin. Muo is a great team man and had worker but not good enough for the Wildcats. So why give Muo a 3 year contract last year? Obviously the organisation can afford to waste money. Why don't they cut membership price instead.

Reply #493269 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

None of this makes any sense

Reply #493316 | Report this post

rockets fan  
Years ago

Unless the cats have a 7 point player combo guard who is clearly better all lined up, this is a little strange.Muo fits the cats gameplan really well. good defender, cant hit the open 3 and run the floor.

Reply #493361 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The suspense is killing me.
Anyone with some inside info?

Reply #493384 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Didn't look amazing in the SBL, a few guys better than him, Salinas would probably be a better player in the NBL.

Salinas
Iliadis
Throns
Damo Scott
Gavin Field
Armour

All of them would be better at NBL level.

Reply #493386 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Would be happy with Kyle Armour and Bennie Lewis.

Reply #493392 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

The fact he was involved in a fair bit off-season promotional work and played decent minutes in the SBL Allstar game makes me think that the intention to cut him was a snap decision.

I cant see them cutting him for U'u or Luke Martin or any other free agent rated a 3 or 4.

Only logic behind this is that Muo did something drastically wrong, re-injured himself or the Cats have stumbled across some serious talent and needed to free up the points (maybe a college returnee)

Bit of a mystery though and pretty keen to see who the last 2 spots go to.

Reply #493396 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

I have a feeling that U'u is on his way back.

Reply #493397 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

I wouldn't mind seeing U'u back. I think he did well in limited opportunities and could be a real contributor in the future

Reply #493401 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Agreed. U'u is the best option. They are looking for a guard, he already gels well with the team, he fits within the 5 points they have left.

Reply #493402 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hoping for Joel Naburgs. Would be a smart decision. Surprised he hasn't signed with any NBL team yet

Reply #493440 | Report this post

Matthew  
Years ago

I believe Muo has reinjured his Achilles. At least thats what a caller to a local sports radio station informed the crew there.

Reply #493446 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Replacement is an American who must have some claim to Australian citizenship, Earnest Ross. Thread here.

Reply #493461 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:19 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754