Roger Kakulas
Years ago

Cats to sign Earnest Ross, replacing Muo

Wildcats to supposedly sign Earnest Ross

He is apparently an Australian according to Lachie Reid

Topic #35393 | Report this topic

RMQ  
Years ago

Followed by DeAndre Daniels on twitter... maybe DeAndre let the team know about an aussie overseas?

Reply #493454 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

This is a really good signing if it is true.

Reply #493456 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

^you know anything about him?

Reply #493457 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Highlights video:

College page

Was raised in Chicago but has lived in the states of Washington, Texas, Maryland, Washington, D.C., North Carolina, Hawaii and Illinois, as well as Japan and Guam ... Parents both work in communications in the United States Navy ... Full name is Earnest Lee Ross Jr. ... Born Jan. 27, 1991, in Guam ... Majoring in Sport Venue Management at Mizzou ... Son of Earnest and Toy Sue Miller Ross Sr.

Reply #493459 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

hmmm.. Australian like U'U was Australian?

Reply #493460 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

I see.

Born in Guam so qualifies as a non-import or local.

So not Australian..but qualifies under the recent pacific local player rule change.

Reply #493463 | Report this post

Naph  
Years ago

I wonder if Guam counts as a "Pacific Island" or something? Seems pretty dodgy, even to this Perthite.

Reply #493466 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

Yeah Guam is a bit of a stretch isn't it.

Reply #493467 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

Impressive pick up, Wildcats are such a quality organisation!

Reply #493469 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Breakers pulled this with Tai Wesley also from Guam.

Reply #493470 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Has Seamus joined the Wildcats?

Reply #493471 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

This guy is a beast physically.. must be that Guam in him! haha

Exciting signing. Cat's using every legality in the book!

Reply #493472 | Report this post

Naph  
Years ago

6'5" 103kg guard. SEC starter. Sounds like an awfully good pickup for 5 points or less.

You've got to give credit to the networking Perth have been doing the last few years though.

Reply #493473 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dont know how they swindled that but we'll take it.
the guy is beast.
Look out Melbourne.

Reply #493474 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

that mean blatche can play in nbl

Reply #493475 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

http://www.wildcats.com.au/article/id/1t7mwn7j4puye1x88y22z2kz9d

Nice

Reply #493476 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Yeah Guam is part of FIBA Oceania AFAIK

Reply #493478 | Report this post

Ganymede 86  
Years ago

Don't like the fact the Cats cut Muo this late but geez this guy is good for 3 points as he's a returning college player!

Reply #493480 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

So say Andrew Wiggins came to Australia, would he get signed for 3 points cause he is a returning college player?

Reply #493481 | Report this post

Ganymede 86  
Years ago

He's 3 points as he's a local player returning from college under the FIBA Oceania rule.

Reply #493482 | Report this post

Great work, let all the whingers complain, he was available to all clubs, so only themselves to blame.

Reply #493484 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow great pick up for a 3 point 'local' player, these sorts of moves and thinking show why the Wildcats are always ahead of the pack.

Can see why they were willing to let Muo go, when he looked like a really good prospect, who i hope to see play in the NBL some day, but Ross looks like a level above, just comparing college careers.

I tip my hat to them, whilst wishing the 36ers had thought of it and done the same.

Reply #493485 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

Good pick up. He will get a higher points rating after this season and he hopefully goes to a team like Adelaide or Townsville.

Reply #493487 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow the 6ers have missed every boat this preseason, this guy is better than both our imports put together.

Reply #493489 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just shows you how unforcable the salary cap is and what lengths the Wildcats will go to, too keep winning.
Maybe the NBL needs to do a full salary audit on the Wildcats immediately.

Reply #493492 | Report this post

rockets fan  
Years ago

If he is 3, that leaves the cats with four points remaning. So U'u Is a four right?

Reply #493496 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth are going to be stacked.Wagstaff, jervis, hire and this guy coming off the freaking bench?

Reply #493498 | Report this post

Vodka 63  
Years ago

I see they have signed him for three years. Doesn't that mean that his points wont be re-assessed until after the third year of the contract expires?

Reply #493499 | Report this post

Jez  
Years ago

Big signing by Perth. A quick bit of online research reveals an interesting experience he had in college ...

As for those complaining about Perth rorting the system and effectively playing with 3 imports, was there the same response when the Breakers signed Tai Wesley?

Reply #493500 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Very happy with this signing imo an upgrade over U'u.
The fact he qualifies as a non import is even better.
NZ have done the same thing with Tai Wesley.

Reply #493502 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Leaves us with 2points remaining so unless Luke Martin appeals his rating will likely sign a rookie.

Reply #493503 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wonder if any other teams were aware of this guy

Reply #493511 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rookie of the year

Reply #493512 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

36ers plan on tanking the whole season !

Reply #493513 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Kyrie Irving of Guam.

Wildcats do it again, firstly with Drake U'u last year and now this guy. They must have some nerdy money ball type dude looking up random players who were born in the Oceania region.

From the outside looks to be a great pick up for a 3 point player, a 14ppg in the SEC and a strong bodied guard/forward. The only concern is how well does his game translate to the Australian league where hardly any offences give guards the ability to post up and score, where most sets have the 2 guard coming off pin downs and teams play 2 PG's most of the time. I think he will do fine, but not sure if his game translates to the NBL like other imports.

I can also see why Nick Marvin spoke so highly of Mathang Muo in his release yesterday too. Ross looks like a massive upgrade on Muo and gives Perth the best bench in the league.

Reply #493516 | Report this post

Boris  
Years ago

So essentially another Australian/NZ basketballer loses a job, and instead of there being 64 jobs available it shrinks the opportunities available for local players, crap rule this FIBA Oceania one it's basically for any American that was born in the Pacific

Reply #493518 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Clubs need to put the best talent they can out there, so well done to Perth in getting this guy. He sounds really good.

I like the Oceania rule if it means we can get more talent to our league, which is what its all about.

With the expansion coming there will be more opportunities for the best Aussies outside of the NBL.

Reply #493519 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

The talent in this season's NBL is insane.

Reply #493521 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My theory is better quality players in the short term = better qaulity league = more exciting comp = more bums on seats = more finanically viable league = better stability and future growth expansion, resulting in a net increase in roster spots down the track.

Reply #493522 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Agreed Anon with your formula,

its for that reason i want them to allow 3 imports for all teams from next season, id even allow the expansion teams 4 imports for the first 3 years to help get them started.

The more talent the better imo,

Reply #493523 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

More players like U'u and Ross entering the league means local talent needs to work harder to get a spot. There is more competition now, so people have to get better.

It's a short term hurdle for local talent, but a long term benefit for the league.

Clubs are not in the position of helping out local talent. They need quality players to excite fans and but bums in seats.

Wanting home grown talent on your roster is an old school way of thinking, that while it 'feels good', it doesn't achieve goal number one financial stability.

Reply #493526 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My theory is that one rich team rorts the comp = everyone else needs to overstretch their resources just to try to compete = better quality league in the very short term = clubs fold in the medium term = NBL dies because its own rules favoured the rich rather than the health and sustainability of the comp

Reply #493527 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wildcats biggest salary cap cheats ever this season. add the * to their title already.

Reply #493528 | Report this post

Maxymoo  
Years ago

A rising tide lifts all boats.

Reply #493529 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

Yesterday I was quite unhappy with Muo's treatment by the Cats, now I understand why it had to be done.

Reply #493533 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Calling the wildcats salary cheats is amusing how much $ do people think he is on.
Melb and NZ are well stacked teams too. Roll on season 2014/15.

Reply #493535 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does an * next to my teams title mean I should put an * next to the elation I felt on Grand Final day?

Reply #493537 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Enjoy the *

Reply #493543 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Ha! Man, you can say what you like, but the Wildcats staff are *good*. Looking at what Ben Fitzsimmons is saying on twitter and really, how do you spot a loophole like that, and then find someone who fits the bill like this?

Reply #493546 | Report this post

rockets fan  
Years ago

Martin
Beal
Daniels
Redhage
Knight

Bench
Burdon?
Ross
Hire
Wagtaff
Jervis

Remembering that beal is a combo guard who looked at his best when playing the 1 last season so he can play with the second unit at the one and Ross at the 2. Ross being massive 103 Kg's 6'5 SG he could either post up the leagues 2 guards with ease and just over power them..Perth depth wise are n a good place, but we'll see how it rolls when the season starts.

Reply #493550 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What a beast! They could start beal, ross, daniels, redhage and jervis and have damo and knight to come of the bench! Wowwe! That's why we pay top dollar for memberships, organised and the club is run like it should. Having the best 10 players u can get no matter what. Got to love perth. Giving them selves a chance to win the title every yr. Well done marvin and co

Reply #493561 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

I agree moreso but not entirely with this theory;

My theory is that one rich team rorts the comp = everyone else needs to overstretch their resources just to try to compete = better quality league in the very short term = clubs fold in the medium term = NBL dies because its own rules favoured the rich rather than the health and sustainability of the comp

I'm over the season already and it hasnt even started...its just getting too lopsided and we know Perth will repeat. Fans drop off when their teams arent winning, Adelaide and Townsville are good examples of this. Adelaide attendances this season for example will suffer as whilst the talent in the league is better, fans want to see their team win or at least be competitive - they dont care about other teams talented players.

It's as its always been...Rich get richer, poor get poorer.

I'm not having a go at Perth by the way, the option is there and they exercised it just as anyone else could have. I am finding it difficult to see how Perth fit all their players under the cap though as I dont think this guy would be playing for the coin equivalent to a 3 point player?

Reply #493566 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would prefer this rule to be used on a player like Ross rather then Drake U'u (Perth's worst player last year).

Nothing has really changed. Australian players need to be at a good NCAA D1 level to get a gig in the NBL. Australian born players that are good enough will still find a roster spot.

If there are still players like Joyce, Kevin White, Demos, etc in the league we can't exactly complain about quality Australian players not getting a game.

Reply #493568 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

Come back to this thread this time next year when everyone complaining the talent is spread to thin because of 4 new teams coming in

Reply #493570 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

The Perth Management are out here playing chess, whilst every other owner is playing checkers.

Reply #493571 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

I wouldn't say U'u was perth's worst player last year.

Reply #493575 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

alexkrad...I agree, I dont think the league is ready for expansion - this season will prove that. We dont need further disparity.

Reply #493579 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

We don't know Perth will repeat, FFS Tornado, Melbourne at the least will match us the whole way, most likely New Zealand as well.

Reply #493581 | Report this post

Murray Magpie  
Years ago

I would like to see Fraser Neil go all David Stern and veto the contract.

Also where is the NBLPA on this? They are very vocal about player pathways and local players getting roster spots and now a genuine local player has been pushed aside to make way for a grey area signature.

This signing hardly sits within the apparent intent of the rule

"There are several players at schools, colleges and universities in the US and Europe, playing basketball because of the development of their talents within the FIBA Oceania system. The decision by Basketball Australia will allow them to compete for places in Australian clubs on an even footing and without needing to 'nudge aside' one of the semi-professional players usually from the USA on team rosters. I hope the opportunity for Pacific Island players to play at a high level on Australian teams will further contribute to the rise in the standard of Pacific Island basketball." Steve Smith FIBA

Reply #493582 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yet another loophole unenforced by the NBL. The NBLPA should be charged with fraud for mis representing the players that they take money from. Has the NBLPA actually achieved anything besides bleating about things they are unhappy with and doing nothing.

Reply #493584 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

I have no problems at all with the NBL becoming a higher quality competition and if this is what it takes to achieve it, then I applaud any team that brings us such players.

The big picture here is that local talent will be dragged upwards and with more recognition at international level we will eventually be forced into extra teams, like Brisbane or a second Melbourne side etc...

So, for me, this is part of the journey we are all currently taking and in a few years time we may look back and say we were in a golden era' for this league, here's hoping so!

Reply #493585 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Nathan of Perth...barring something drastic Perth will repeat - you can quote me on that at seasons end.

Melbourne and NZ will be good but they wont be in the same league as Perth and they will only match you the whole way because they wont be playing teams of your quality or theirs every week.

Bear....thats good in theory but the reality is a number of teams are struggling as it is. If these teams arent competitive then fans dont come through the door...you see where I am going with this?!

Reply #493588 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The local talent that got sacked effectively for the sack of a better option.

Reply #493591 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

@#568 excellent point.
All teams should be aiming to get the best players they possibly can whether they're Aussies, kiwis or other.
Perth could repeat but I wouldn't write off Melbourne or New Zealand.

Reply #493593 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

@Tornado, yup pretty much theory and early speculation, agree but why are they struggling?

Why is it that Perth is doing it better?

If we start to look at the cause, not the symptoms, I think the future can be quite bright for the NBL...

Don't tell me Earnest was sitting back waiting for the Wildcats to call on him, if he was scouted earlier by another NBL franchise perhaps he would be wearing different colours this season??

Perth are the benchmark for others to aspire to, nothing wrong with this unless others decide to ignore best practises, don't you think?

Reply #493596 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Veto the contract? Yeah, I don't think that's going to be happening. However displeased the NBLPA is.

Reply #493597 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ha! Funny how no one was complaining when the Breakers signed Wesley with the same rule.

Reply #493600 | Report this post

Dave  
Years ago

I am a massive 36ers fan, so it is safe to say that Perth are not one of my favourite teams...

However, you cant be mad at what they are doing, it's within the rules and they are obviously spending the time to find these players and put together great teams year after year. They are in a better financial position than most (if not all) clubs so it makes it a bit easier for them to do it but that is only because of the effort and time they have put in consistently over the last 20+ years.

With that being said I will still boo them mercilessly every time they enter the building...

Reply #493601 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

"Ha! Funny how no one was complaining when the Breakers signed Wesley with the same rule."

Breakers didn't cut a guy with a 3 year contract to fit Wesley in but in saying that I have no problem with Perth cutting a guy to get someone better that is totally within the rules.

Reply #493604 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Bear...there is a number of reasons why Perth are doing better.

Their owner is more cashed up than others for a start which enables better administration, advertising, resources etc..stuff that is outside of the salary cap but also gives them the advantage at greater success which has enabled them to be a consistent playoff team which then translates to more fans through the door which then cycles its way back to the owner, admin, resources and goes around again.

I agree whole heartedly they are the bench mark and teams should strive for their model but how do you propose other clubs compete or strive for that?

This is not a knock on Perth...I just think the league needs parity and stability before expansion.

Reply #493605 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

The problem, Tornado, is that the league CAN'T have stability with only eight teams, it is an unsustainable number, with too little variety and not enough market coverage.

Reply #493606 | Report this post

Dave  
Years ago

Also with regards to parity, it is good in theory but not in practice.

Potential investors in other teams are not going to be encouraged by an investment that will be hampered if it is successful and profitable.

The league should be encouraging teams to meet what Perth are doing, not handicapping Perth to do what others are doing.

Reply #493609 | Report this post

Silencer83  
Years ago

Mystro, Muo had two years left on his contract, so the outrage should be equivalent to Trueman being cut by NZ last season or half that of Corletto being cut by NZ this season ;)

Reply #493610 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

Not a knock on the guy, but I don't think Ross will be as good as everyone is implying on this thread. His stats (from what I can find) are pretty similar to Corey Maynard's, and no-one's talking about him setting the league on fire. People were talking about U'u with the same hype last year and he hardly had any impact.

Also, Melbourne will not win with Anstey as coach. I'm not a trolling Anstey hater, but I watched the pre-season game vs CNS last and the lack of respect the players have for him is clearly obvious.

Reply #493616 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"His stats (from what I can find) are pretty similar to Corey Maynard's, and no-one's talking about him setting the league on fire."

Maynard played in a much weaker conference.

Reply #493617 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Breakers didn't cut a guy with a 3 year contract to fit Wesley in but in saying that I have no problem with Perth cutting a guy to get someone better that is totally within the rules."

That's not what people are complaining about though.

Reply #493618 | Report this post

Jez  
Years ago

Wonder if the Muo axing/Ross signing was prompted in any way by Melbourne signing Jordan McRae, which arguably put Melbourne's roster ahead of Perth's on paper.

Reply #493624 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

"Their owner is more cashed up than others for a start which enables better administration, advertising, resources etc..stuff that is outside of the salary cap but also gives them the advantage at greater success which has enabled them to be a consistent playoff team"
Jack Bendat bought the team in 2007.

The Wildcats last missed the playoffs in 1986.

Reply #493625 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Nathan;
"The league CAN'T have stability with only eight teams, it is an unsustainable number, with too little variety and not enough market coverage".

So, expanding into areas that have been tried before and failed whilst also diluting the talent pool and creating a weaker product is the answer?

Dave;
"Potential investors in other teams are not going to be encouraged by an investment that will be hampered if it is successful and profitable".

"The league should be encouraging teams to meet what Perth are doing, not handicapping Perth to do what others are doing".

Likewise, potential investors will be less inclined to invest if they dont deem their product as an attainable success that is profitable. Investors would be more likely to pony up knowing it is a close competition and they are in with a chance! How many teams have come in, lasted a couple of years and then folded?!

You're right...the league should be encouraging others to meet what Perth are doing and never have I said Perth should be handicapped. No one team can be handicapped if they are all playing under the same rules. Any additional profits they make in comparison to other clubs can be spent on whatever they like outside of the roster - coaches, marketing, facilities, trainers etc..Until the majority of other teams can even resemble what Perth are doing I dont think expansion is a wise move.

Reply #493627 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Koberulz...different economic climates, league model etc..

Reply #493628 | Report this post

Dave  
Years ago

Tornado: I agree with some of the logic there for sure but part of the reason that teams come in to the league for a year or two and fold is because no one with the money to make a team successful is interested in the NBL because it is unprofitable. At least with a team like Perth turning a profit and getting results year after year, it would be a more enticing investment as they see what can happen if you do it right.

Reply #493641 | Report this post

The Dream  
Years ago

Wesley is fijian but grew up in Guam

this was a great signing for the wildcats

dogs & cats aint safe

Reply #493642 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Thats my whole point Dave...Perth are the exception, not the rule.

Reply #493643 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Since when has Perth ever made a profit year after year?
No Jack, no Perth in all those years they lost money season after season.

Reply #493645 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Very solid team this yr, great pick up. Don't think melb import changed there mind, perth are always one step infront. Cant wait for the season to roll. Any idea when he will arrive in perth? Have the tab odds came out yet?

Reply #493649 | Report this post

Matthew  
Years ago

Yeah I think you will find last season and possibly the one before are the only seasons the Wildcats have made a profit.

This is the first year Ive bought a Wildcats membership because I really enjoyed the atmosphere last season and the quick access after hours from work. It was great.

Reply #493656 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

There are many factors in play, many processes and systems, franchise dynamics, the right mix of people and leaders etc, etc... That make up success on and off the court.

Sport is littered with teams/clubs/franchises that succeed in the same location they have previously failed, or failed in the same place they have been a huge success in the past.

It is less about where the next franchise for the NBL expands to and more about who and how it is run.

It is history that shows us that once an organisation gets it right, the success on and off the court follows, so I don't subscribe to the theory that just because Brisbane failed, for example, it isn't worth going there again...

I can give plenty of examples, from other sports as well as basketball, I will leave it though as no need to name them, it is common knowledge.

Reply #493657 | Report this post

Perth fan  
Years ago

He has arrived in Perth about a half hour ago. Check out Perth wildcats twitter

Reply #493659 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

More on Ross on PnR thanks to Steve Chalmers:

Perth land another steal in Earnest Ross

Off the back of the Perth Wildcats electing not to sign Mathiang Muo for the upcoming 2014/15 NBL season, the 'Cats have put pen to paper with Earnest Ross.

Ross, 23, last attended the University of Missouri for the last two years after transferring from Auburn, which included averages of 14ppg and 6rpg in his final year.

Reply #493663 | Report this post

rockets fan  
Years ago

Perth must have one of the most stacked teams in the last decade.Those Bullets and Tigers teams come to mind to.

Reply #493664 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

And where is this all leading, how long before we get clubs falling over trying to keep up.
Haven't we done this before?

Reply #493666 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

peeps hating on cats for being wealthy, yeah sure we got lucky when jack got on board, but it takes more than Money to make a club successful. How long before peeps start hating on the Wollongong since they have the backing from a millionaire.

Reply #493667 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Who is the current Chairman of the NBL?

Reply #493668 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

@Anon

"And where is this all leading, how long before we get clubs falling over trying to keep up"

If the Sixers could afford this move on top of keeping DJ and a gun import would you honestly have the same fears that other clubs (who wouldn't necessarily have the resources) over extend themselves to keep up with the NBL Jones?

And if you did have those concerns, at which juncture would you say 'We have too much talent, other teams cannot afford to keep up with us, lets not improve any further"?

Reply #493672 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ u are a tool!

Reply #493678 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

European club teams are stacked with players from countries other than the country the team is based in. if the nrl and a-league could they would do the same, it's what happens in good leagues. Australia is easily the best league in oceania, the southern hemisphere and probably Asia. Rather than making Oceania players automatically non imports however I think 2 imports (from outside of Oceania and Asia - probably USA as happens now) and one from Asia or Oceania would ensure this loophole isn't consistently used.

Reply #493683 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

Guam should have a professional team based in the Filo or an Asian league BTW

Reply #493684 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He is built like a brick, he prob be one ove the biggest guyz in the nbl. Vukona v ross! Hehe should be fun!

Reply #493685 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ross wont be matchuped on Vukona since Wildcats are planning to use him as a swingman.Nontheless, perth are pretty much going into the season with 3 import type players.That bench is going to be awefully tough to for other teams to matchup with their 2nd units. Jervis, wagstaff, Hire, Ross and a 2 point player but I see beal or marto switching with them.

Reply #493686 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

192cm tall with a 208cm wingspan.

Yikes.

Reply #493691 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He is very tall for a guard, what's the avg for a guard? Is he one of the tallest there has been? Looks lebron in his body wise i mean, not saying he plays like him!

Reply #493692 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

6'4 is about average for an NBL 2-gurd.

Reply #493693 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

perth are pretty much going into the season with 3 import type players.
Or four given that Redhage is a naturalised import.

Apparently four clubs are paying luxury tax this year (Perth, Melbourne, Sydney, NZ) so hopefully successful clubs drag along the rest. Plus, hopefully an influx in interesting players is enough to get people along to games in all cities.

Really, in Adelaide, the thing concerning fans is more or less:

- MVP gone
- entertaining import gone
- replacement import isn't the exciting type
- other import is a bread and butter guy from the SEABL
- limited reminders from the club that Boomer-candidates like Gibson and Petrie are still core parts of the team.

Had the incoming imports been unknowns, fans might be more excited. Personally, I'd be happy to have Wilson rather than gambling knowing some of the situations that haven't played out well previously.

Locking in people later last season might've given more budget to work with as well.

Reply #493721 | Report this post

A  
Years ago

Isaac, can you name/list one thing the 36ers have done to promote the club for the upcoming season? seriously I can't think of one and I'm not having a go at the club.
Doesn't the season start in under a month?

Let's not even mention the clubs efforts on social media (most 12 year olds would make them look amateurish)

I understand the club is struggling financially but I cannot even see any effort coming for the club whatsoever in any shape or form.

This is the most concerning thing I believe.

Reply #493752 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

"Apparently four clubs are paying luxury tax this year (Perth, Melbourne, Sydney, NZ)"
Who are Perth and Sydney's marquees? None of their signings thus far have been announced as such, have they?

Reply #493764 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

A, no, I join you in that struggle. It's been really sub-par.

I'm excusing a budget club doing their best with a more budget roster (as the Hawks have done for years), but not marketing/social media which can still be done smartly on a budget. I'm a serious critic of the lack of effort there.

Reply #493766 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Yea i must say i agree,

With some of the players playing in SEABL/other leagues and even the World Cup, there should be content right there even twice a week, ie previewing Mitch Creek and Tom Dalys SEABL games on a Thursday/Friday, even provide a link to live stats and a live stream, hey they are playing in the SEABL GF this weekend, then do a review article, at the very least a very short piece pointing out they are playing, there season stats and then the result of the game and the stats they acheived in the game. Surely you could find a fan to do it very cheaply/free (maybe give away a couple of tickets) then put this on your twitter/facebook/instagram feeds and keep the content coming at the fans.

At the very least fans will be informed of how well there players are doing in the off season, each week, and it may even draw some excitement, eg. wow Mitch Creek got 31 pts, made a couple of 3's, in his last SEABL game in the conference finals and has helped his team into the SEABL final, i cant wait to see what he can do for the 36ers this coming season! He may have a break out season and have added a jump shot!

It just keeps the information/any momentum going and isnt overly difficult to do or expensive to get someone else to do it,

if i get time over the weekend i might even do up a couple of small articles about the SEABL GF, just atleast showing there are 36ers in the game and how they have gone during the season, ie season stats, and one after the game showing the result and how Creek and Daly and various other 36ers/former 36ers performed, and just send it to them for free if they wish to put it up on there website, the game is being streamed on youtube by the SEABL so would put the link in and highlight its easy to watch the game either live or the replay.

I must admit when i saw Isaac's post a while ago mentioning he had a friend who was a social media pro offer to do there twitter, etc for a few tickets and got rejected, i was like why..... and was a bit frustrated, i would have handed him 10 free season tickets, encouraged him to bring some friends along and thanked him for the generous offer and looked forward to seeing what he could do, i cant see why you would ever turn that down, but ah well.

Need to have content atleast a couple of times a week on the website, social media, all season and all off season, and to me there is plenty of content out there and not that much effort would need to go into it, plus its free or very close to.

Reply #493776 | Report this post

rockets fan  
Years ago

Issac you guys still have Petrie, Gibbo, Creek(if he improves his ball skill) two imports who could be good, that loud home crowd and Joey who gets or extracts the best out of his teams.If schenscher provides some interior D and scores here and there, Adelaide are still not an easy beat.Granted Perth,NZ and the United have improved significantly, but that last spot could be anyones.

Reply #493854 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

MAN alive that guy is built like a tank.

Reply #493879 | Report this post

rockets fan  
Years ago

Could he be the NBL's version of Ron Artest without the temper?.

Reply #493880 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:27 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754