18. Ukraine
19. Puerto Rico
20. Iran
21. Philippines
22. Finland
23. Korea
24. Egypt

http://www.fiba.com/spain2014

Acceptable? I thought some got a little carried away with the medal chance talk but I think 12th was about right.

Topic #35437 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

without Mills and Bogut, its about right.

very little separating 6 through 12 spots for me.

Reply #494167 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Those are 11 very strong teams ahead of us, but no.. I think we should have done much better than that./

Reply #494172 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Could have been 8th if we beat Turkey the gap from 8-12 is small. With Mills and Bogut in Rio top 6 is within reach.
Lowlight of tournament was Angola loss and the tanking debate.
Highlight was beating 4th place Lithuania.

Reply #494176 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

With Bogut/Mills a medal is within reach. But will we ever realise our international potential?

Reply #494187 | Report this post

The Dream  
Years ago

if they didn't tank would have made the top 10 easy

Reply #494196 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bogut will NEVER play another game for Australia.

Reply #494201 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Teams that performed above expectation:

Serbia, Domican Republic, Angola (inflated placing due to tankgate), Turkey and Philippines

Teams that under performed:

Spain, Australia, Argentina (although no proper C and missing Ginobili and Delfino), Finland and Puerto Rico.

Reply #494203 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

I don't see any glowing examples of teams above us that we should definitely have finished higher. But then again, we had a big opportunity to finish in the top 8 or beyond in this comp and we blew it.
So, it's a bit of column A, bit of column B.
Pretty even comp outside of USA really. Could have fallen any which way, the 2-12 positions and teams there wouldn't look out of place (Serbia finishing top is a fair surprise though).

Reply #494207 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

NZ beat Serbia in a warm up match.

From a NZ perspective dissappointing to see Mexico above us. And even though DR beat us..i felt we were better overall than them

Reply #494208 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

So we missed out on somewhere round 6th place by one pressured long shot that went in THIS TIME.

2nd to 15th is so even it's not funny, ignoring the occasional blowouts.

I hope this gets recognised by those holding the government funding purse-strings (but I'm not holding my breath on that one).

Reply #494213 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

"So we missed out on somewhere round 6th place by one pressured long shot that went in THIS TIME."
Nice to see I'm not the only one that noticed. People act like the Boomers were thoroughly outplayed by a better team and thus shouldn't have tanked to draw that matchup, when in fact they outplayed Turkey most of the way and lost due to an absolutely terrible shot that just happened to go in.

Reply #494215 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Warm up games aren't much of a guide to anything the Boomers beat France in one of them and then got flogged the next time against them by 23.

Reply #494218 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

But the game should never have got to that one last shot determining the outcome. Australia choked.

Reply #494219 | Report this post

Anonas  
Years ago

i once wrote AIS years ago, to emphasis more on motion offense, or developing more Go-to-guy players. As we know how Team USA can do it with all their might and always finish on top.

Im not an expert nor reputable. but thats how i see it. They need more aggressiveness

Reply #494223 | Report this post

Anon12  
Years ago

Certainly Mills will be a great asset come 2016.
Bogut is another matter. By Rio in 2016 Bogut will be almost 32 years of age and has had an injury riddled career. IMO it would be doubtful if he did play, and if he did:
1. Would he start?
2. Would he have an impact?
3. Would his selection omit a younger player?

Reply #494282 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

I am sure a 32 year old Bogut would be of more use than Anderson has beem/

Reply #494283 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Recap of the World Cup tourney now up on PnR:

2014 FIBA World Cup: USA reign supreme in Spain

As most had predicted and expected, the USA romped to a gold medal at the 2014 FIBA World Cup in outgunning Serbia 129-92. The question has to now be asked as to whether the rest of the world can still consider itself close to the Americans or have they lost some ground in this regard. When looking back at the stats, the evidence would suggest the world could be on the downside of a plateau that has been two decades in the making.

Reply #494286 | Report this post

LanceUppercut  
Years ago

12th seems about right given the way Lemanis runs such a terrible offence
And considering Andersen got so many mins

Reply #494304 | Report this post

Upfront  
Years ago

Because basketball funding through the Australia Sports Commission is solely based on where the Boomers and Opals finish in the Worlds and Olympics, seeking the highest place finish is paramount. I shrill at the thought of tanking as any Aussie would. Someday, maybe, the ASC will look at the total body of work that includes the Under 19, 17 and even the World University Games which succeeded the U22 World Championships.

Reply #494349 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

12th is an accurate reflection of where we sit in international ball

We are miles off France, Spain and Serbia

We've snuck the odd win against some of these but Lithuania, Brazil, Slovenia, Greece, Croatia and Argentina have consistently outperformed us

Reply #494371 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Terrible offence? Despite having only one genuine international shotmaker they were 9th in scoring, 8th in FG percentage and first in 3p percentage.

I would agree there were times when it needed a little more direction when it's flow broke down, but it was hardly terrible.

Reply #494379 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

And free throws?

I must admit I haven't crunched the numbers but one of my recollections of Australia's World Cup was our poor returns at the foul line? a fair recollection or easily debunked by stats?

Reply #494384 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Bogut will NEVER play another game for Australia."

Until he comes straight out and says 'i'm not playing internationally anymore' we can still put him in the mix for future competitions. It's not like he's forgotten about us. He was still contemplating playing in the WC.

"I am sure a 32 year old Bogut would be of more use than Anderson has beem/"

32 really isn't THAT old even for basketballers.

Reply #494389 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And yeah 12 is about right. Though i feel we could still beat a few of the teams a head of us.

With Mills and Bogut we would be a lot higher.

Reply #494391 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Overall our FT shooting was pretty bad, 18th spot at 69%, but it was made to look worse by the Turkey game. After the group stage we were 12th at 72%.

Reply #494392 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Re the 12th finish, not too far off the mark for the talent we had on the team this tournament.

Overall, I feel USA and then Spain have shown over a period to be the top two, then France and Lithuania have had some good results lately.

I'd have them just ahead of a big group of similar teams including Serbia, Brazil, Australia, Russia, Argentina, Greece, Croatia, Slovenia, Turkey, New Zealand and Italy.

There's a few more not far behind that now too, and on any given night there are plenty of countries where the result could go either way.

Reply #494393 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:11 pm, Tue 23 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754