Anonymous
Years ago

Boomers down to 11th in latest FIBA rankings

http://www.fiba.com/rankingmen

Topic #35469 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not to worry - we will be 4th in a couple of years.

It will be:

USA
Spain
Canada
Australia

Reply #494716 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

The FIBA rankings are a joke anyway - China is still 14th(?) – they didn't even make the World Cup (and they were qualifying out of the weakest FIBA zone). Also NZ not in the top 20 – Iran at 17 (what the?). Mexico and Angola above NZ. Australia should be happy to be 11th..all the teams in the top 10 above them are absolute class.

Reply #494720 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Good points MACDUB. Although Mexico > NZ is contentious, and Angola DID beat Australia ;)

I too don't understand how China and Iran are ranked so high. There must be a ranking floor for the top nations of each region.

Reply #494736 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

It is true though, the list above us is VERY solid. We would be much higher if not for the slip up vs turkey

Reply #494759 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

I think Mexico are so high because they qualified from FIBA Americas which is the 2nd toughest FIBA zone and carries greater weight on the points ranking.

Reply #494770 | Report this post

Step back  
Years ago

I'm not convinced that Canada will ever be a world power like everybody is predicting. I am aware of the talent that they have and what is coming through and I've witnessed it first hand. But the structure of the national programs are totally flawed.

It's nothing like Australia or the European teams, it's essentially a lesser mans version of the US system with far less talent. The national team gets together for a couple of weeks before major championships. They might play one or two practice games against countries like Jamaica or Porto Rico and that's about it. The US team can get away with this kind of system, but Canada will get dismantled by the European powers that train and play together for years.

If Canada Basketball could just take a leaf out of Australia's book, with junior programs, AIS, state champs etc, along with a functional NBL (Their NBL is a joke, full of US guys who can't get a run in Europe). There is pretty much no pathway here in Canada, you go to college (which is about Div 2 NCAA level) and then that's it. A couple of guys go to Europe or the NBA but the vast majority quit and get regular jobs. With the physical talent that Canada has, believe me if they had good pathways to success and a decent national program, they would destroy Australia and most countries in Europe...but until then, they'll just be a mish mash of incredibly talent with zero chemistry.

I play in the top league in one of the major cities in Canada and the talent is often at a SEABL kind of level, but the organisation is often worse than your local domestic A grade comp...

Reply #494846 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That may be true but in terms of pure talent, Canada may be the only country other than the U.S to field a team full of NBA players in the future.

I mean, already off of the top of my head they have

C - Kelly Olynyk
Pf - Tristan Thompson/Anthony Bennett
Sf - Andrew Wiggens
Sg - Nick Stauskas
Pg - Tyler Ennis/Corey Joseph

Add in a few role players and that team would do very well internationally.

Though, I'm probably missing a few key players anyway. They also have many good young players coming through the college system. It also seems that Canadian hoops fans are counting their chickens before they hatch as some of them have already started to put Thon Maker in the Canadian national team depth chart already.

Most international hoops fans have predicted that Australia and Canada will replace Spain/Argentina as the new rivals of the U.S and that seems to be the case on paper.

In terms of Australia vs Canada i think it's (potentially) pretty even. Canada will probably have more NBA players but the star potential on the Australia n team is much greater. I mean, currently the only player on the Canadian roster with real 'star' potential is Wiggens whereas Australia has Exum, Simmons and Maker who all have the potential to be NBA all stars. I know that may not mean a lot in FIBA ball but in terms of talent it kind of evens it out.

I'd love to see the Canadian lineup i named vs Humphries, Maker, Simmons, Mills, Exum in 5-6 years. Would be a very interesting game.

Reply #494883 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

A short stay at that level as with the talent coming through, if they can translate to the Boomers, OMG!

The future of Australian hoops is looking brighter than ever

The future of Australian men's basketball looks brighter than ever, with an almost unprecedented amount of talent coming through the junior ranks. Australia’s elite women have been a dominant force of the world stage for in excess of a decade, and it looks like the Boomers might be about to join them.

Reply #507494 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Other Young Canadian names...
Powell at Dallas
Sacre at lakers
Nicholson at magic

Birch d league
Sim Bhullar d league
Heslip d league
Bacyhnski turkey
Ejim Italy
Plus others...

Cherry at Baylor
Lyles at Kentucky
Pangos at gonzaga
Wiltjer at gonzaga
Bhullar at New Mexico State
Plus others...

Murray
Norain
Etc etc.

Reply #507503 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:42 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754