Anonymous
Years ago

Australia now third in number of NBA players

Just passed Spain with the confirmation of Baynes making 7 in total. Now just to pass Canada.

Topic #35529 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Actually Baynes makes 8.

Bogut, Mills, Baynes, Bairstow, Delly, Ingles, Exum, Motum.

Reply #495602 | Report this post

Darryl  
Years ago

How many does Canada have

Reply #495604 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think they have 9 or 10.

Off the top of my head:

Steve Nash
Samuel Dalembert
Andrew Wiggins
Tristan Thompson
Anthony Bennett
Kelly Olynyk
Tyler Ennis
Cory Joseph
Joel Anthony
Andrew Nicholson

Reply #495606 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm the same guy as above =)

A quick google search tells me I missed rookies Nik Stauskas, Dwight Powell and Sim Bhullar (although I doubt he makes it to the regular season without being cut) as well as Robert Sacre.

Not much of a chance of you Aussies catching up this season, but if you keep churning out talent as the rate you are, you could catch up soon.

Reply #495607 | Report this post

Tyrell  
Years ago

How the heck do Canada not do better at FIBA level? I am not familiar with all those players so not sure what their positional 'spread' is like but given the number they should be okay...

Reply #495617 | Report this post

A. Bitoni Fan  
Years ago

A lot of those Canadian talents have only come to the fore in the past couple of years. I believe they were in the thick of things to get a wildcard to the recent World Cup, but apparently Finland paid more money to FIBA.

Reply #495628 | Report this post

Step back  
Years ago

Just a quick look on USbasket.com interestingly shows that Australia has more players playing in the US (College, NBA) than any other country with 204, ahead of Nigeria 188, and the UK with 142

Reply #495639 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Canada are a 'give it a few years' proposition.
Have a lot of talent all in the same age group. All still young.

Reply #495644 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anyone know of all the aussies that play college ball how many play a decent level afterwards, is it possible to put a number on that. Overseas, NBL, SEABL, state league.

Reply #495648 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Exum shouldn't be an NBA player. He's soft with no IQ!! Star at NBL level scrub in the nba!!

Reply #495680 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i think i would believe the word of people who are paid to pick out the best talent than a anonymous on a chat forum if he can play NBA

Reply #495686 | Report this post

Annon  
Years ago

He's 19 - Get a Grip...

Reply #495687 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i think he has a grip :)

Reply #495689 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

So, Australia has 8 and is currently ranked 12th. France has fewer and is ranked 3rd.

I'd like to see the rankings versus the number of NBA and EuroLeague players to judge whether the number of NBA players really does align with the rankings.

Any stats nuts out there up for the challenge?

Reply #495856 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:21 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754