Anonymous
Years ago

Hawks adding player ?

Rumour has it there is a very tall well known new player seen down at the snakepit in Wollongong.

Topic #35544 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

my guess luke nevill

Reply #495764 | Report this post

Darryl  
Years ago

I hope for the Hawks sake it is Luke Neville

Reply #495765 | Report this post

Neforp  
Years ago

Is Nevill good? They need a rebounder and defender.

Reply #495766 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

he played a big role for the boomers in the sino-australia challenge

http://www.sportingpulse.com/nfnn/comp_info.cgi?c=1-5951-0-264185-0&a=STATS

Reply #495768 | Report this post

MV  
Years ago

I've never thought Nevill reached his full potential, always thought that for a 7 footer he was a bit tentative on the boards and around the ring. Just my view of him.

Reply #495769 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Would really love to see Nevill get a decent shot at it and Wollongong might provide him that opportunity.

My only concern would be that Ervin, Carson etc. will play too fast for him.

Reply #495771 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

MACDUB...Ervin has played with Nevill before up in Townsville so would be familiar with his game - Carson on the other hand...?

Reply #495777 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Saw Nevill up close for that half season he was in Townsville.

He's very underrated, especially when you realise that no coach has ever used him properly in the NBL.

He's a really good defender too, and can cover P&Rs despite his size.

While he's rebounding numbers have never been huge, it would be interesting to see whether his teams rebound better when he is on the floor.

Reply #495779 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Its not so much Ervin. More so the pairing of Ervin AND Carson.

Ervin was most likely paired with Crawford or a Cedar brother as guards in TVL.

Carson is much more electric, athletic and uptempo than who Ervin played alongside with in TVL.

Reply #495781 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I hope it's true for their sake.

Reply #495782 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

He's very underrated, especially when you realise that no coach has ever used him properly in the NBL.
How long do you say that sort of thing about a player before wondering if the problem isn't the coaches and instead the player?

Reply #495805 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I hope its not...for sixers sake.

Reply #495806 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agree Isaac, there is a reason Nevill has bounced around the league probably because he's not a great rebounder & shot blocker for someone his size but at 7'2" there will always be some team willing.

In saying that the Hawks could really use him especially with Davidson out injured.

Reply #495807 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

This would be great. I think the Hawks two weaknesses are size and shooting ability. Nevill would help both these areas. Would he start off the bench if Davidson is available in time?.

would Hawks lineup be;

1. Carrson
2. Ervin
3. Coenraad
4. Forman?
5. Davidson/Gruber/Nevill

Reply #495808 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Nevill would be a very good pickup for the Hawks, who look unbalanced to me atm. If I could cut Carson and sign Nevill instead, I'd do it in a heartbeat!

I don't see how you'd start Davidson over Nevill either. Its not like they need a stretch 5 when they have Forman at the 4!

Reply #495818 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Beantown, that Davidson and Forman frontcourt has served them fairly well in recent years.

Reply #495827 | Report this post

Neforp  
Years ago

The legaue has improved a lot in the last few months Isaac. Davidson hasn't been seen anybody know how long he is out?. Foreman has been quiet too. Carson hasnt done anything either unless you like dunks in training.

Reply #495830 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Davidson and Forman is still a solid front court if both fit and firing.

Im not downgrading the talent of the guys coming into the legaue, but if you compare the guys going out v the guys coming in and there actual impact on the court, i reckon it will be pretty similar, so not sure the league has jumped up as drastically talent wise as people think.

Reply #495855 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

I think one reason is that coaches don't have quite the same patience/tolerancewith 7 footers.

Its easier, less work and less worrying to go with a mobile 6"9/6"10ish C as it makes defending high OB screens more comfortable.

Footers can be tough to coach and with the speed of the league many coaches dont want the hassle IMO.

Reply #495860 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Isaac its the "if fit and firing" thing I worry about with Davidson. He can be really good at times, but he always seems to be struggling with injuries. I also think an inside-outside combo works better at the 4 and 5 spots and Nevill will provide more of a threat around the basket than Davidson does.

Reply #495878 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:27 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754