Green45
Years ago

2014-2018 BSA Strategy

having a quick browse through the 2014-2018 strategy for BSA -
http://www.basketballsa.com.au/fileadmin/user_upload/images/Basketball_SA/Strategic_Plan_2014.pdf

I was drawn to Facilities and Infrastructure and in particular FI3. While having facilities that are 'fit for purpose' I wonder where safety and OHSW gets a show. Safe is one of the stated values in the strategy but not overtly targeted at risk of injury.

FI3.2 states "Develop a set of minimum standards for
facilities, determine gaps and outline a plan to
address"will probably focus on change rooms, disabled access, score tables/boards, rings, number of courts, off street parking and stadium seating.

IMO there are a number of venues that are currently unsafe for players and referees (and quite possibly spectators).
Marion - inadequate runoff at ends and sides of both courts (especially bench seating). Can't open side doors for ventilation.
Wayville - separation net between court 2 and 3 - loosely attached at floor is tripping hazard and drapes at head height at end of court (someone lost a tooth in one).
Pasadena - spectator seating on court 2 with no backing and risk of over balancing with 1 metre drop onto court 1 seats.
St Clair - inadequate runoff at court ends.
Just about every stadium in summer except the fridge at Starplex.

I think most venues are 'fit for purpose' but probably not entirely safe

Topic #35545 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think you forgot Hillcrest!

Reply #495780 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hasn't facilities development been in every BSA Strategy?

8 years, zero new venues, zero new courts.

Reply #495788 | Report this post

cat  
Years ago

4th court at Noarlunga doesn't count?

Reply #495811 | Report this post

Annon  
Years ago

How do we play at venues with incorrect court markings, yet BSA opts for new FIBA rules each year.

If they have Monet to buy score tables for Dome, surely they can re Mark all lines on all courts to make them FIBA standard.

As per the last 9 years, BSA is great at building glossy 5 year plans but never going back to see what they achieved.

Now Paul has gone, they have numerous vacancies to fill first,then sort out the structure of the game( youth league doesn't work, large drop off in Girls after u14, playing with an inappropriate basketball T500) and it will be another 2 years before this gets looked at and actioned.

Great document, no real plan.

Just for interest , City of Unley has announced $8.3mio upgrade of Goodwood Oval in the next years budget.......nothing for Wayville

Reply #495851 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

cat 4th court at Morphett Vale was well before BSA.

Reply #495873 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adelaide Arena paid for the new score tables matey (nothing to do with Basketball SA)which goes to show your ignorant totally on how basketball is run across the board. Heard a conversation from someone and its fact or did you make an educated guess. Hear about funding for Goodwood Oval, but do you have any idea how council dish out funding and how often lobbying bodies are rejected before they get funding.

Reply #495886 | Report this post

Annon  
Years ago

Apologies for the stuff up on the score boards at the Dome....

But I think I can honestly say I have had more insight than you on a few fronts, but maybe we could take the conversation off line to check out what we can do together to fix the issues.

Strategy papers are great if measured......how many has BSA put out and measured??

No new stadiums, clubs raising funds to get scoreboards right in stadiums, clubs working on many fronts to seek council support to improve stadiums to have BSA to overide local input.

Goodwood oval is one great example of where a club started discussions and was cut off by BSA years back. The council has now decided to put forward the funds ( local council web site) to upgrade tennis, hockey, AFL and cricket to the tune of $8.3m How many courts would that get??

Why are so many people leaving BSA ?

Anyway, happy to chat.....

Reply #495920 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:20 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754