Liam Flynn
Years ago

NBA Player Salaries: 2004 - 2005 Season

http://www.dfw.net/%7Epatricia/misc/salaries05.txt

I mentioned the issue of NBA player salaries briefly on the show last night, but for those that are interested, here is the link that shows you the 2004 - 2005 NBA players salaries for the last season. Its a pretty interesting read for a few reasons:

- Rating overall team payroll against success eg Knicks #1 in dollars spent but didnt make the playoffs

- Rating positional payroll (eg backcourt, frontcourt, bench) for one team against another eg - the Bucks have spent 16 million dollars more annually on a the Redd/Simmons duo in the 2/3 position then the Pistons spend on Hamilton/Prince (although Prince is still on his rookie contract and will probably demand 7-8mil per year next off season - that still will leave them 8mil better off than the Bucks). I think the Bucks over paid IMO...

- Comparing individiual player productivity against their salary and then against the salary of others who play in a similar position. eg Michael Finley (Mavs) 14.6mil vs Jason Richardson (GSW) 3.5 mil

- Seeing what some guys are recieving from their respective clubs in the form of 'buy outs' for not playing a single second on the pine: eg Rick Fox recieved a buy out of 4.5 mil from the Celtics to retire. Which basically means he gets 4.5mil to star in bad US soapies and sleep with Vanessa Williams. I now call Rick 'the luckiest man alive'.....

Topic #3562 | Report this topic

Liam Flynn  
Years ago

Also interesting:

- Comparing salaries of teammates compared to the actual 'pecking order' of the team eg For the Nets Dikembe Mutumbo makes 14.5mil compared to Richard Jefferson on 2.3mil (again RJ is still on his rookie contract)

- Britton Johnson (ex Uni of Utah forward) played two and a half weeks for the Pacers in Nov - Dec and recieved US$45K for the honour. That's about the same coin that Isaac 'money bags' Forman makes in the same period of time I reckon...

(Mod: Not true! You can judge my earnings on my car - plain, second-hand, dented, no mirror...)

Reply #41343 | Report this post

Kriss  
Years ago

Come on now Liam half these fellas don't earn half of what your paid to write these funny ass posts!!~~

ps good word on nba wrap last night

Reply #41345 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

I'm surprised to see Chauncy Billups is only on 5.4 mill. When I say only I'd love to have 1 mill but just thought he would have been on more.

Allan Houston would have to be the most over-paid player. 17.5 mill for him - pfft I don't think so.

Reply #41347 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Gotta remember that the majority of players on stupid coin, like KG, Shaq, Houston all signed before the first CBA. That's one of the reason why the lockout occurred.

Shaq is looking at playing for $30 million this year. I don't care who your are, no-one is worth $30 mill a season.

Another interesting link is: http://www.insidehoops.com/nbasalaries.shtml

Interesting to see the Suns ranked 28th in the league for contracts. Pretty sure that will change in the next few years with Marion, Amare recieving good coin, and they still need to resign Joe.

1) Shaq $27,696,429
2) Webber $17,531,250
3) Houston $17,531,250
4) Garnett $16,000,000
5) Kidd $14,796,000
6) O'Neal $14,796,000
7) Allen $14,625,000
8) Abdur-Rahim $14,625,000
9) Philadelphia $14,625,000
10) Walker, $14,625,000
11) Ilgauskas $14,625,000
12) Sprewell $14,625,000
13) Marbury, New York $14,625,000
14) Anfernee Hardaway $14,625,000
15) Finley, $14,609,375

The stupid thing is that between the Nets and Rockets, Deke recieved over $18 mill.

Some of these number change for the upcoming season, Spree is a free agent and no-one will pay him $14 mill after his stink last season. Big Z recently resigned for a measly $11 mill a season. A three mill pay cut WTF!!! SAR will not get the same money this time round.

The big movers are gonna be Allan Houston and Finley. Looks like both are gonna be waived under the new CBA one off clause, and they will recieve pay from their new team, plus what the Knicks and Mavs owe them. If Finley is waived and signs a mid-level contract he could be taking home $20 mill plus a year for the next few years

Reply #41352 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Penny Hardaway is the biggest rip off if you ask me .. The guy "used" to be awesome but all those knee injuries have slowed him down. 14 mill is a lot of money to pay a guy like that.

Reply #41358 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

Penny is a waste of space these days.

You're right TR, spree is going to take a major pay-cut this year you would think. I mean who really wants to sign a washed up old man who hasn't put up significant numbers for the past couple of seasons?

Reply #41360 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

TR
I was of the same opinion as you until discussing this very topic with a pro player. What he said changed my mind.

"Remember what they are making out of him to be able to pay him that kind of money"

The 30 mill for Shaq may be cheap when you compare the money he generates in sponsorship, corporate boxes , ticket sales, tv revenue and singlet / Heat merchandise sales.

This is one of the major negotiating points for a player and justification for the elite income in the NBA.

Reply #41369 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

Even so Kent, but no-one is worth 30mill to play sport. Why don't they pay the players less and charge less for tix, merchandise etc? Make the game more accessible to everyone?

Reply #41370 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Because then they'd have less money with which to compete with other teams. If the owner is taking $100m, why shouldn't the player who is actually out there for 45 MPG, 82 + 20+ games/year be getting a big cut too? No one is out there watching the owner run around or buying his singlet or wanting signed posters of them.

There is no where that you can draw a line -- if $30m is too much, why is $15m not too much?

They will charge as much as they can while the stadium is still full (or close to it).

Reply #41371 | Report this post

Liam Flynn  
Years ago

From post 41343:

The end of Isaac's sentence should have been - "You can judge my earnings on my car - plain, second-hand, dented, no mirror...ferrari"

Reply #41372 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

Isaac,

I actually meant for everyone to take a pay cut - including the owner. I know this would never happen and you're righ why would they lower prices when the stadiums are still full? Guess we can all dream can't we?

I guess money really does make the world go round!!

Reply #41373 | Report this post

ShutUp!!  
Years ago

Sport at this level, NBA, NFL, MLB, Golf, Tennis etc. are no longer really Sport, they are Entertainment Business and should be paid accordingly with what they bring to the Business.

Same as Music, Movies etc. Only difference is that Sportsmen (NFL, NBA & MLB) get long term contracts. Maybe if players are earning in excess of $10M per year, they could have a contract clause that the club could cancel the contract at the end of season. After all, you don't perform in Golf, Tennis, Making a Movie or a CD, you don't earn. That way you could avoid situations like: -

- Penny Hardaway
- Allan Houston
- Shawn Kemp
- Jamal Mashburn
- Dikembe Mutombo
- etc, etc, etc.

Not that the players or their association would ever agree to such a clause.

Team such as Spurs would be pretty stupid to say, "Tim, I know we just won a Championship and you were MVP, but since you earned $12M (or whatever) we are going to waive you, because we need to cut payroll". Every team with salary cap room would jump at TD for whatever he wanted, as long as they had an out clause

Reply #41374 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Liam -- Ferrari Magna!

Bizzy -- would never happen. The players' association would start a new league rather than accept that.

Look at a movie star (as ShutUp has alluded) -- $20m for what could be a few scenes in a movie. Or a TV celebrity getting paid $50k to feature in a little TV commercial that takes half a day to shoot. Sometimes your brand is worth more than your talent. That's just how it works and there's no way of stopping that now.

Reply #41375 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Kent, Yeah, Shaq earns money for the franchise, no issue's with that. He earns money for the NBA. The issue I have paying someone $30 mill of where does it end. Countries around the world have an economy of less the $30 mill a year.

Shaq 6-8 years ago, yeah, and Shaq has admitted he is the second fiddle in Miami. Pip never got $30 mill a season to play behind Jordon. They are also the reason why Redd and Allen didn't goto the Cavs, they don't want to play second fiddle.

The other issue I have to how much of an impact does this have on improving your team with someone taking up half of your salary cap. Is Shaq worth 1/2 a roster. Look at it like this. $30 million would of bought you Simmons, SAR, and Big Z, and maybe they could resign Haslem Dooling and Damon Jones more easily.. I would prefer those 6 to 1 Shaq.

He's something to think about, Miami gave up Odom, Butler and Grant. Odom and Butler are great players with huge potential, Grant is still a good vet. Shaq is on the downward spiral of his career. What happens if Shaq decides NOT to resign with Miami. You have invested a lot of money and players for nothing.....

Hey, I really rate Shaq, but I don't rate him 30 mill a year. The Heat are talking about a 5 year contract extension. God only knows what sort of numbers are going to be chucked around.....

Reply #41377 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

So So true. Guess we can all dream about earning that sort of money. If it came down to who deserved to earn more an AFL player or an NBA player I'd go with NBA. As you said Isaac 82 + at least 20 (with sometimes 3 games a week) I think deserves more that 22 + 4. Just my opinion though, I'm sure others disagree.

Reply #41378 | Report this post

Northerner  
Years ago

I can vaguely remember David Robinson being on a contract that said he HAD to be the highest paid player in the NBA, so regardless of what Larry Johnson was on, Robinson was always that little bit higher. Not sure of the outcome of that contract when Larry signed his $84m contract back in the early 90's.

Bizzy, Jordan was definately worth $30m in 96 - 98. Heck he should have gotten $50m, but in a sence you are right, there isn't anyone since him who should get that kind of money.

Reply #41381 | Report this post

Shaq buys Sixers!  
Years ago

Why don't we send a proposal to Shaq asking him to buy the Sixers. He would have enough money in his car's console to buy out the dome as well.

Lets start bombarding Shaq with emails.

Reply #41387 | Report this post

Spurfan  
Years ago

Notice that none of those overpaid tools on the list got
a world championship this year.
Tim Duncan sits on a decent salary that allows the spurs to
keep OBE 1 Ginobilli and Tony Parker 23 years old and then use
the left over coin to purchase the role players needed to finish the job eg: Bowen, Horry, Barry.
and the Big dog with a month or so left in the season just incase someone got injured.

Maybe this is why players like Garnett can't get past the second round because his team can't afford to help him with talent because of his own Greedy wallet.

Shaq is no where without flash
or any good shooter.

Spurs back2back baby

Reply #41393 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Exactly what I was getting to Spurfan. The Spurs are definately a model franchise when it comes to player contracts.

Once a franchise is titled as a 'winner', players will sign to play for that team below what they could get from other teams. The Spurs have their core players in TD, Manu, Parker and make do with mid-level paying players like Big Shot Bob, Brent Barry, Big Dog, Bowen, Rasho.

Having a smart front office also helps, hence why the Knicks will never win a title with Isiah running the sinking ship....

There would be bugger all NBA players that wouldn't play with the Spurs if the opportunity arises.

Here is the Spurs roster last year:

Brown - minimum
Horry - $2.3 million
Johnson - minimum
Marks - minimum
Massenburg - minimu
Robinson - minimum
Wilks - minimum
Mohammed - $25 million (contract expiry 06)
Barry $19.6 mill (contract expiry 2008)
Bowen $14.25 mill (contract expiry 2008)
Duncan - $122,007,704 mill (contract expiry - p-opt 08)
Nesterovic - $42 million (contract expiry - p-opt 08)
Udrih - $4,461,496 (rookie contract expiry 2008)
Ginobili -$52 million (contract expiry 2010)
Parker -$3,946,521 (rookie contract) + $66mill (extension) (contract expiry 2011)

That my friends is a way to build a dynasty. The only contract that's iffy is Rasho's $42 mill until 2008.

Now look at the lame arse Knicks:

Butler - minimum
Jackson - minimum
Sundov - minimum
Ariza - minimum (contact expiry 2006)
Hardaway -$86,675,000 (contract expiry 2006)
Thomas - $67 million (contract expiry 2006)
Houston -100,406,250 (contract expiry 2007)
Rose - $42 million (contract expiry / p-opt 2007)
Sweetney - $8,633,596 (rookie contract, expiry 2007)
Taylor -$48,750,000 (contract exipry 2007)
Williams -$40.8 million ((2007 contract expiry)
Crawford - $55.44 million (contract expiry 2009)
Marbury - $76 mill (contract expiry 2009)
Richardson -$43.5 million (contract expiry p-opt '09)

and I havn't included the three first round picks for this year. This is a great example of a franchise that ain't going anywhere due to financial constraints. Marbury's contract sucks, Penny's contract sucks, Taylor's contract sucks, Williams contract sucks... get my drift.

Reply #41401 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

TR,

Would you rate the Pistons as having good management? I think they would have a similar roster type to the Spurs. Pistons were champs too + just lost out on back to back titles.

Reply #41403 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

TR,

Would you rate the Pistons as having good management? I think they would have a similar roster type to the Spurs. Pistons were champs too + just lost out on back to back titles.

Reply #41405 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

Sorry about double post. Had an error on the page. Feel free to delete one Isaac.

Reply #41406 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Here is the Pistons:

Campbell - minimum
Ham -minimum
Jenkins - minimum
Dupree - minimum (contract expiry 2006)
Hunter - $3.36 million (contract expiry 2006)
Prince $4,541,153 (rookie contract, expiry 2006)
Ben Wallace $30 mill (contract expiry 06)
Billups $33.7 million (contract expiry p-opt '07)
McDyess - $22.5 million (contract exiry p-opt '07)
Milicic - $16,815,062 (rookie contract)
Arroyo -$16 million (contract expiry 2008)
Delfino - $4,776,941 (rookie contract, expiry 2008)
Hamilton $62 million (contract expiry p-opt '08)
R. Wallace $60 million (contract expiry 2008)

Look at this, there is not one max contract, ok, Big Ben is bargin of the century, but Rip and Sheed are worth the money they are getting, Dice as well. The only contract I don't like is Darko, but the Pistons have no say as the rookie scale is determined by the NBA.

The Pistons have Sheed, Rip, Dice, Billups, tied up till at least 2007 or longer, and Big Ben said he will resign with Detroit out of loyalty (hear that word, doesn't happen much more in the NBA), and Price said he has every intention of resigning. The Pistons are gonna be a force for the next few seasons. I havn't added Maxiell to the figures (apparently the lad is tearing up the summer league at the moment....)

Reply #41409 | Report this post

Spurfan  
Years ago

Yes I would have to say the Piss Tones have a good front office but in 2008 when the Spurs have the same six or 7 guys from this
years team where will the Piss Tones be. Hearing the tone of ping pong balls coming out for a hight draft pick when everyone
has taken off because Rasheed and Wallace are too busy crying because Timmy D still has that World Championship belt that Raheed flaunted so well wrapped around his waist.

Reply #41411 | Report this post

The player's wages (salaries) are made up of 33.3% of the total gross income of the National basketball league. This is a standard number of dividends divided between liabilities and expenses over total revenue made (just a basic equation). That outlay of cast for salaries (30%-40%) is usually what most major sporting industries work on, and it approximately the same equation a bank will allow a maximum of mortgages to be lent against (max)40% of your yearly income.

AFL, NRL, NBL and ACB work on about 33% of the total revenue made to be divided between players as a salary cap

$30,000,000 for one player? Is any player worth it? Of course they are and if that player deserves it and increase the product to increase the total revenue made for the year then yes they are entitled to ask for that amount of money

Reply #41412 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

Yeah read some reviews on Maxiell and he is going nuts in the summer league. Good pick up for the Pistons.

Pistons management have done very well I think. When you hear someone like Big Ben saying I'll re-sign out of "loyalty" you know your management and whole franchise is doing something right!!

NYK and I think Miami are pretty poorly managed. Sure Miami has Shaq but they have put so much money into him are they really going to be able to produce a championship team with Shaq, Wade and then surrounding them with players the can afford rather than need?

Reply #41413 | Report this post

Lloyd Braun  
Years ago

Miami got further in the playoffs this year than last year!

And probably would have beat the pistons had Wade not got injured.

Reply #41417 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Still believe that it tales 2 to tango. The players are paid at a level that gives them value for their talent and at a level that the owners can justify to cover.

What value would Nike have put on Jordan when they first signed him if they new how important he would become for the company?

If he was paid half a billion life time conract they still would be in front.

Reply #41418 | Report this post

Spurfan  
Years ago

What about Darko if he does not grow some aggotts soon that could be a bit of trouble for them down the track.

Darko lowokandi maybe.

It is of course all about money but it seems that even young Lebron may have to get paid
a low salary to get anyone to play in Cleveland.

Reply #41419 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

Lloyd,

yes they did get further this year but how long can Wade and Shaq sustain carrying the whole team? As you pointed out if Wade or Shaq gets injured they lose all of their force. Wouldn't they be better of with a deeper team?

Reply #41420 | Report this post

Lloyd Braun  
Years ago

so the spurs would be ok without Duncan or Manu? Detroit without Billups or Big ben?

Reply #41421 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

No but they could cover them a hell of a lot better than Miami can cover Wade or Shaq.

Reply #41422 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

It will be more than 33% under the new CBA. Billy Hunter quote in a recent interview "players will receive no less than 50 percent of all league revenues".

Ok, yes I agree that players make the league financial, and do deserve and large chunk of the pie, I personally don't have any problems with Shaq getting $30 mill, good luck to him, but is it detremental to the Miami Heat to sign a player for 1 year at this cost. I say yes.

Reply #41425 | Report this post

Lloyd Braun  
Years ago

pistons maybe, spurs no way!

Reply #41426 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

I'm with Bizzy on this one. I would rather have a deep team then pay some crazy amount for one player.

Have a look at my earlier post, who would you rather have for your $30 mill??? $30 million would of gotten you Simmons, SAR, and Big Z, and maybe they could resign Haslem, Dooling and Damon Jones more easily.

Reply #41428 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Shutup, I like your idea about out-clauses on contracts. I also like performance based contracts like Marcus Camby signed with the Nuggets.

Reply #41431 | Report this post

Spurfan  
Years ago

Manu and Duncan they can cover
for short term loss like injury but not long term like any team.
Thats like saying Philly with No AI.

The fact is these guys are signed to long term deals
but not ridiculous size contracts allowing the front office to work on adding the final pieces to win championships, which is why you play in the first place to win.

Robert Horry has 6 rings 2 with Houston where he was drafted and the rest where free agency signings to teams that he knew where winners.

Garnett has heaps of money no rings. In 20 years he will be
just be Kevin no rings Garnett.
Heaps of Stats like hundreds of other great players but only titles give a player elite status for years to come.

Reply #41433 | Report this post

Malclom Mclaren  
Years ago

Anyone know what the league minimum salary is these days, and does anyone know much about the NBA pension payments for ex-players

Reply #41434 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

I heard that if you were in the league for 2 consecutive full seasons you received a lifetime pension.

There is a similar deal in the AFL, but I think you have to play for longer.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I can't even remember where I heard that.

Reply #41437 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i think it's 3, not 2

Reply #41443 | Report this post

momoko  
Years ago

someones' high salaries did occupy much of the teams'salary space.
I think Michael Finley has just got the similar circumstance with you-know-who like Penny Hardaway,allen houston and some other guys.Knicks seems caring not for the tax,they have quite a number of these expensive junks!

Reply #41460 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:22 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754