Matthew
Years ago

Public Transport and Membership

Hi,

Just out of interest.

Do members of clubs in the NBL all get access to free public transport to and from the game? It happens here in Perth but I was wondering if It was also standard as part of memberships in other clubs.

Topic #35627 | Report this topic

Spinner  
Years ago

We are lucky to get tickets to the games here in Adelaide!

Reply #497223 | Report this post

Vodka 63  
Years ago

its not free - you pay for it as part of your membership whether you use it or not

Reply #497224 | Report this post

basketball tragic  
Years ago

that is an awesome concept

Reply #497225 | Report this post

Matthew  
Years ago

Sorry maybe Free wasnt the right word. As part of the membership then (ie you have no option on getting or not getting it)

Spinner: By lucky to get tickets you mean its hard to go online to get them or that the place is normally sold out?

Reply #497226 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Matthew, some people think the season tickets being mailed out arrive too close to the time of the first game.

As for the public transport being free, it's possible that a club does a deal with the local provider in exchange for advertising one way or another. Someone who takes a bus to a game is more likely to catch the bus to work.

I haven't heard of it being done in Adelaide, but the NBL should be pushing for it everywhere. Works against car parking revenue though.

Reply #497232 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isaac, how many NBL teams would benefit from car parking revenue? I wouldn't think they could own their venue let alone car parks?!

Reply #497234 | Report this post

swish  
Years ago

I think the location of the venue on main public transport routes can be a factor. Perth have a nice new venue ( built by the government) in the city so its more like an Adelaide Oval situation. Council and government want people attending events in the city to use public transport, but when the venue is out in the suburbs where you have to turn off streets onto un sign posted streets and then find the laneway which has a sign but hidden behind a tree....well I guess bus drivers wouldn't be able to find it so who would use public transport.

After all the concern about basketball keeping its home at the Arena I think we need NBL matches played at Memorial Drive or somewhere else in the centre of town, so we can use public transport and we can go go a meal or drink in the city after games. its great that baasketball has a home, but like Football Park or Waverly stadium in Melboure, its in the wrong place.

Reply #497239 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Location is a factor. When Wildcats were at Challenge in the middle of nowhere suburbia they did not offer public transport as part of your membership even though it was a lot harder to get there compared to the new CBD location. So when it was needed more they didn't provide it.

Reply #497250 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Everything at Perth Arena has PT included in the ticket price. It's not a Wildcats thing.

Reply #497260 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

well that explains it

Reply #497262 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yet the OP arrogantly made it sound like it was of the Wildcats doing and then rubbing it in by asking if any other clubs do it, well the Cats don't either clearly

Reply #497263 | Report this post

Matthew  
Years ago

Actually I wasnt 'rubbing' anyones face into it, I didnt know that all tickets to the Arena have it factored into the price. i was asking because a while back I asked some questions in another thread about the location of the Adelaide playing venue in regards to public transport (someone said something about a Taxi being the best way to get there)

Furthermore my Perth Glory membership no longer includes free public transport (it did once), so it got me thinking about sport and their use of public transport.

I apologise if anyone thought I was was rubbing their faces in it.

Reply #497270 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Isaac, how many NBL teams would benefit from car parking revenue? I wouldn't think they could own their venue let alone car parks?!
Yes, I was thinking that it might be what discouraged Adelaide specifically from trying it.

Reply #497274 | Report this post

Wildcat Fan  
Years ago

Matthew, I think the Glory had a big falling out with the State Government over this issue - If I recall correctly, I think the Glory owed the government a heap of cash, and when it wasn't paid they took the free transport out of their ticket.

I remember then transport minister Troy Buswell saying that the Glory were the worst sporting organisation to deal with.

And at Challenge Stadium, Im pretty sure the government and the Wildcats didn't offer free transport because public transport didn't go there.

As for Perth Arena, It may be a condition on all PA events that public transport is included, however the government offers this to all the WA teams (expect the Glory), so the Wildcats may have some involvement with this.

Reply #497333 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Funny comment from Troy Buswell when is the worst minister ever to deal with. A drunk driving car smashing seat sniffing boofhead.

Reply #497401 | Report this post

Wildcat Fan  
Years ago

Yes well be that as it may, its what he said at the time.

Reply #497529 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

If we have all the clubs talking to each other about game night entertainment and other aspects of making the night out the best experience it can be then you have to imagine that Wildcats administration has brought this up in discussions.

I noticed nobody mentioning Sydney/wollongong but you'd imagine that free public transport would be a good thing in those markets if they can get it

Reply #497547 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Discussion of the car parking @ Adelaide Arena has got me wondering: does all the revenue from that go to the local council, or do the Sixers get some of it?

If the Sixers don't get anything, I would have thought some argument should be made to the Council that they get a reasonable slice. After all, that'd be a nice little earner for the Council that they wouldn't get at all if it wasn't for the Sixers.

Reply #497549 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

Sixers are having problems organising anything other than a budget team at the moment, let alone benefits for its members like free public transport. I lined up for 30 minutes to find that the free members Tshirt had run out, unless you are a small or medium of course! I noted that the members pack contained a lanyard, a sticker, a magnet and a hand full of advertising pamphlets. Great to be a member!

Reply #497606 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:14 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754