Jack Toft
Years ago

Melb. vs Cairns, Oct 12

Well, who is this new team called United and why are they playing on the last day of R1? It's telecast so we will be able to be dazzled by their brilliant new uniforms.

Cairns would be chipper going into this game after getting the W over the Sixers on Friday, no doubt after a shoot around yesterday, they would have hit the Melbourne shops to bring something home for their WAGS.

This should be an intriguing game. Melbourne are without Goulding and he was the obvious big improver last season and provided a lot of their scoring output. They will need someone to step into that void today. Cairns have some pretty special imports, an upgrade over last season.

This is Melbourne's game to lose. All the chips are on their tile and it's up to them. Cairns on the other hand might just sneak this one.

Cairns by 1.

Topic #35641 | Report this topic

LC  
Years ago

The new Melbourne "United" brand makes its formal NBL debut today.

NBL 2014/15 Round 1 Preview: United brand set to debut against Taipans

Can Philly's NBA draftee Jordan McRae make a serious impact in the NBL?

Reply #497624 | Report this post

Darryl  
Years ago

A cracker game looking forward to this one.
Melb by 3

Reply #497632 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

On TV?

Reply #497641 | Report this post

Michael  
Years ago

it said so at the end of the nbl broadcast on friday night

Reply #497643 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

2.00pm on ch.10

Reply #497650 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

not live nationwide. pathetic

Reply #497666 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

I'm not convinced on Melbourne, great team on paper but paper won't win you the game. Cairns are well coached and will be feeling confident but may run out of legs after having already played this weekend.

Reply #497675 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Still no Dennis ? Anyone know wha the deal is with him.

Reply #497681 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

I am watching on the TV and I am not convinced about that first qtr, very average from both teams so far.

Why is it that big guys don't throw it down more? Get aggressive fellas!!

Reply #497684 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

No denying Melbourne has the talent, but so far I've seen nothing that demonstrates they can all gel together as a team. Early days yet...

Reply #497685 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good to see Bill Woods back joining Gaze for this game.

Reply #497686 | Report this post

Ganymede 86  
Years ago

Wilbekin is legit. Think it will be between him, Jackson and Childress for MVP.

Reply #497687 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Interesting observation here, the United playing top has the Victorian and Victorian Country logos both next to one another on the top of the back of them!

Now I want to buy one,,,,!!

Reply #497688 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Loughtan is a big with range, I like him, maybe United should should guard that?

Reply #497689 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Looks like Melbourne getting a taste of what the Sixers went through with Cairns bodying up and sneaky pushes and Loughten the new Redhage flopper... Wortho, Tomlinson and Walker getting frustrated and for once I agree with the Tigers…. HAte seeing Zones at this level and Cairns doing a lot of it with their size. Makes for very boring and sluggish basketball….. Hope this doesn't continue for the season… I want to see some running game….

Look for injuries from Melbourne and the catch up fouls for Melb in the 4th quarter.. The NBA guys are also getting protection like Ennis last season to protect the marketing assets...

Reply #497691 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Looks like Melbourne getting a taste of what the Sixers went through with Cairns bodying up and sneaky pushes and Loughten the new Redhage flopper... Wortho, Tomlinson and Walker getting frustrated and for once I agree with the Tigers…. HAte seeing Zones at this level and Cairns doing a lot of it with their size. Makes for very boring and sluggish basketball….. Hope this doesn't continue for the season… I want to see some running game….

Look for injuries from Melbourne and the catch up fouls for Melb in the 4th quarter.. The NBA guys are also getting protection like Ennis last season to protect the marketing assets...

Reply #497692 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon^ at the level of the NBL shouldn't the opposition be able to cope with a zone D?

Reply #497695 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Okay, here we go Melbourne fans, there is a quarter to go in your first season game at home with a new team and massive anticipation!

What's going to go down, are we going to see a limp ending and a 20+ point loss or are we going to see a big come back, some heart and some fight from this United outfit?

Strap yourselves in and let's see what we have!

Reply #497697 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wilbekiiiiiin!!!

He is legit, no doubt.

Reply #497698 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Chris Anstey has no idea. Nor does his team

Reply #497699 | Report this post

Keany  
Years ago

I don't think melbourne realise that you can take a shot from inside the 3 point line

Reply #497700 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

695 with that amount of bigs and getting body bashed in the first quarter which also happened to the Sixers.. Don't think so. They are entitled to play that way but it is a formula by the looks that Cairns are going to play by, when other teams have to come to the season armed with teams to play transition ball and make the league exciting - remember that decision last year with the contact to be reduced to allow a more exciting spectator game like the NBA... Well that is going out the window.. It is boring and as the season moves along you will see… Cairns with be the most talked about team and most frustrating and despite winning, the most boring. I'm not a Melbourne fan and I am seeing their frustrations and completely supporting them. Boring Boring Boring...

Reply #497702 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

2 things have been proven today 1 Chris Anstey is not a coaches A.H. 2nd Mark Wortho is not worth 2 bits of tupennce the guy is a hack, no other coach would put up with his ways only Chris who must have a man crush on him , give the members back there money because its another year of crap+

Reply #497704 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

I'm not sure I am buying the boring basketball line, Cairns has done what it takes to put themselves in a winning position, yes using some zone to advantage, but surely Melbourne are not playing at their best??

If teams don't work Cairns out, then the league is in trouble, if United don't work themselves out, they are in trouble.

Let's see how they adjust next time they meet??

Reply #497706 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does Anstey know Goulding doesn't play for his side any more? The whole o consists of standing around the 3 point line waiting for someone to shoot. You'll win a few games with Goulding doing the shooting but when he's gone....
Oh man, one game in and blind freddy can see Anstey has to go. Get us someone who can teach some offensive sets!

Reply #497707 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So no one thinks that Wibekin is drawing fouls that are not fouls ????? Tomlinson and Wortho copped ones with obvious no contact with his fall away shots... Loughton on the floor again…

Reply #497708 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I see Craig travelling like the leyland brothers again.. Saw that against sixes too and not called once....

Reply #497709 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Yeah, I see some of that but I also see a poor shooting % by United and not much cohesion by them, not the officials that decided this one Anonymous...

Nice reverse alley-oop to Walker near the end, goal of the game, let's see more of that!!

Reply #497710 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Craig did the run over on McRae like he did on Teys but then he kept on running over Teys and dragged him across the floor. No fouls called there.

Reply #497711 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Picking that someone will take out Wilbikin by seasons end with his showmanship .. Hero ! At least the pressure will be off Erivin. Can't wait to see him go up against Perth, they'll sort him out.

Reply #497712 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Picking that someone will take out Wilbikin by seasons end with his showmanship .. Hero ! At least the pressure will be off Erivin. Can't wait to see him go up against Perth, they'll sort him out.

Reply #497713 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

Could McRae be considered a volume scorer?

Reply #497714 | Report this post

Annon  
Years ago

I reckon Melbourne should forfeit the match up in Cairns and have some recovery time

Reply #497716 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Big debate in the footy at the moment about coaches who were great players, but can't really coach at AFL level, do we see a similar thing with the NBL?

NBL clubs need to get coaches, not ex-players perhaps?

Reply #497718 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Only took one game for me to realise that United will not contend this year.

The issues from last year remain. Anstey will get outcoached every single night.

There should be absolutely no excuses if United don't perform this year.

Reply #497720 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

There's no problem with ex-player coaches.

There's problems with ex-player coaches with no experience.

Anstey had what 2 years coaching Big V before been appointed HC at the Tigers.

Sam McKinnon recently came out and said he would love to be HC of the new Brisbane team. Been a HC is a different kettle of fish to playing and no HC should be appointed based on how good of a player he was. It should be earned. Its not an entitlement.

Reply #497721 | Report this post

Ano  
Years ago

player of the week has to go to wilbekin surely!

very impressive and possibly the best thing cairns have done in a while by getting him. also offloading Wilson.

I know who id prefer in my team and it aint Wilson (even in early days).

Reply #497722 | Report this post

Lucy Goosey  
Years ago

Don't worry I would rather Ervin back

Reply #497723 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

Ano....very true.

It seems Cairns were getting stale with Wilson and vice versa.

Both needed a change.

It has been good for Cairns so far....and I trust the change will be good for Wilson (and the Sixers) too.

Reply #497724 | Report this post

Lucy Goosey  
Years ago

http://www.alligatorarmy.com/2013/6/10/4414900/scottie-wilbekin-suspension-florida-gators-basketball-2013

History of attitude. Just waiting for it.

Reply #497725 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Scottie Wilbekin looks like he can play!

Reply #497726 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pert have 6 coaches staff so clearly that doesn't work either. Many former head coaches.

Reply #497727 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

sat court side and enjoyed every bit of scottie, shame dennis wasn't playing!

Reply #497729 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Anstey a one trick pony...if it doesnt work theres no plan B.Lucky he is friends with the owners or he would be long gone.

Reply #497734 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

So cairns win 2 games and all of a sudden they're the team people want to hate because they're getting all the calls, flopping and Wilbekin has attitude. How about you respect what cairns has achieved, a lot of people predicted the spoon for them. Wake up to yourselves and appreciate the talent. They're doing a lot more with their roster than united.

Reply #497738 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

The easy way round Cairns zone is to hit the open 3. United just stood around the arc waiting for the clock to run out before jacking a brick up.
Barlow was a passenger as was Kickert, Worthingtons effort was there it was just to bad there was no offensive direction.
Cairns on the other hand were very well run by Gliddon & Wilbekin. Nice pick & pop with Burston & Loughten which Melbourne never defended with any sucess.
Great performance from the Taipan's.

Melbourne will win some games this season but I don't think they'll seriously be contending the championship.

Reply #497756 | Report this post

Venom  
Years ago

Lots of keyboard warriors here again - Taipans put up 186 points in 2 road games and get boring etc etc etc

If those whining actually noticed, the zone D mixed with tough one on one and then explode in transition is how Perth play. But lets not let facts get in the way of good bitchfest.

Reply #497777 | Report this post

annoomus  
Years ago

Nah, hate Perths game too... Boring as well...

Reply #497780 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anstey will be luck to see the season out. The owners have been conned with Ansteys playing day Vs his coaching days. V=Coaching days are all but coaching kids. Both Dmac and Anstey were lazy training players and both believe that they know what they have to do at NBL level. Bother are wrong and equally Slepoy and co are wrong. Changing the name too was wrong. So an interesting season ahead for the un United.

Reply #497808 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Melbourne - a team of 'stars' not playing as a team perhaps? Still early days, and of course Dennis did not play, but Anstey will need to show he can bring the team together or his days as a HC could be numbered.

Recap: NBL 2014/15 Round 1: Cairns Throttle Listless Melbourne

Reply #497811 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Cairns played a much more uptempo style than in previous years. I actually loved watching them play today.

Maybe the low-slow and boring tempo in season's past was a product of Jamar Wilson and his PG management rather than Fearnes' style. I remember they played uptempo with Ubaka and Dorsey so I do think Fearne can coach that style and he does enjoy it.

Reply #497814 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Wilson Sting, credit where credit is due, Cairns played excellent this weekend and have a well balanced team. Also I think Loughton could be at his career peak this year. A great season ahead for Cairns fans.

Reply #497817 | Report this post

Wildcat Fan  
Years ago

That was a really disappointing effort by Melbourne given the circumstances going into the game:

1. Their debut as United - They really needed to come out with a lot more heart than that if they want to win over some disgruntled fans, or gain new ones.

2. TV game - What they dished up today was pathetic not only for Melbourne fans, but NBL fans and casual fans watching the game nationwide, Yes, blowouts happen, but not on opening night, at home, on TV, with a lot of critics against the club no doubt also watching. That performance wouldn't have been so bad if it was played in Townsville (for example) with no-one watching. They could probably get away with that without too much notice.

3. Cairns were coming into the game having just played in Adelaide and on the road. There was no excuse for Melbourne losing this game.

Massive credit to Cairns - So far they look the goods. Lets hope (for their sake) they show the consistency to be a force this season.

Reply #497829 | Report this post

Ganymede 86  
Years ago

I'd be interested to be how much $$$ Wilbekin is on

Reply #497834 | Report this post

Smelly Cat  
Years ago

Wildcat Fan - just wait until Perth hits Cairns and you may think differently..

The conversation is going to be who lost to Cairns by the least..

Adelaide were stun, f... and amazed, Melbourne next and everyone gets a turn..

There is a method and plan they used for both games so study it hard and see if you think anyone can beat it if the refs don't pick up on it in the 1st quarter.

Good luck everyone.

Reply #497835 | Report this post

Ganymede 86  
Years ago

Also why did Anstey not call a timeout in the third? Not really a coach hater but he should've called a timeout to stop the bleeding.

Reply #497839 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not sure who was more lost, Bill Woods or Anstey.

Both didn't handle the occasion very well.

Anstey couldn't get a player on Loughton at the 3pt line and Woods couldn't handle a 6"10 guy shooting from outside.

Reply #497841 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:18 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754