Nathan of Perth
Years ago

Greg Hire to miss 6 Weeks

Greg Hire to miss six weeks

Perth Wildcats co vice-captain Greg Hire will miss six weeks of basketball with a calf injury.

Hire sustained the injury at training yesterday morning, and scans have since revealed a tear to his left calf muscle.

Replacing him in the team will be training player Mathiang Muo, pending NBL approval.

Muo was signed by the Wildcats ahead of the 2013/14 season, but suffered an Achilles tendon injury early in the pre-season, ruling him out for the entire year.

The 27-year-old was not re-signed by the club in the recent off-season, but has remained an important part of the playing group and hasn't missed a training session.

Perth Wildcats coach Trevor Gleeson said while it is extremely disappointing to lose a player with as much heart as Greg Hire, he is pleased to be able to give Muo an opportunity.

"Greg (Hire) is a vital cog in our team, and if we didn’t have him on Friday we would have lost by a lot more. His energy and his work ethic and his unselfishness is going to be sorely missed," said Gleeson.

“The last 16 months have been a roller coaster for Mathiang (Muo), but that’s professional sport and his attitude has been first class.

“He’s been working hard and now he gets his opportunity. Other players will also have to step up with Greg out so it’s exciting to see who takes that opportunity and runs with it.”

Mathiang Muo will be signed as an injury replacement player pending NBL approval, and will remain contracted until Greg Hire returns to the court.

The Wildcats expect Muo to make his NBL debut on Friday night at Perth Arena against the Wollongong Hawks.

Topic #35665 | Report this topic

Darryl  
Years ago

Unfortunate for Hire but this does give Muo an opportunity to show other nbl teams what he can do.

Reply #498172 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Damn, he was looking like having a real solid season too.

Reply #498174 | Report this post

SVD  
Years ago

Oh that's a shame =)

Reply #498182 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

Heard this on Triple J on the way home, good to see a bit of NBL exposure. Sad to hear GH, get better soon bud!

Reply #498186 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

This is a blessing in disguise for the Wildcats.

The Wildcats have been too slow and pedestrian in the half-court and against the Breakers I hardly saw them score a transition bucket.

Muo is an athlete who can run the floor, will provide speed, mobility and athleticism.

Hire is a good glue guy, but his lack of offense can sometimes hurt the Cats, especially if Martin and Hire are on the court at the same time (against a zone defence, teams only really have to watch Beal and maybe Daniels)

Reply #498206 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

I tend to agree with you Macdub. Muo can add a lot, plus he is a lights out shooter when he gets going

Reply #498211 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

I am a bit lost? I thought the Wildcats cut Muo and paid him out in full for the whole year so they could sign Ross?

Reply #498212 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Benno - I hear NBL news all the time on Triple J, especially Wildcats news. It's at least once or twice a week.

Reply #498218 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

They didn't ... cut Muo per se, they simply didn't register his contract. He's been training with the team and played in the pre-season a couple times. I assume he's being given a different contract as an injury replacement for Greg Hire.

Reply #498226 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

Sweet deal for Muo of sorts.

Get paid 100% of contract.

Then get asked to play 40% of the season for another 40% pay.

So 140% of a contract to play 40% of a season.

All the best to Muo....hope he can show what he can do and get picked up else where soon.

Reply #498227 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

Wildcats can't catch a break - first U'u out last week and now this.

Reply #498232 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I thought U'u being out was catching a break? ;)

Reply #498245 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

There was a hint of sarcasm in my comment Isaac :)

Reply #498280 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Camby - are you sure Muo got paid out for this season?

Reply #498342 | Report this post

meggsie  
Years ago

I would be injecting sunday dech into the line-up !he will give the team some energy. some may think that he is not quite ready but didn't they say that about hire!will be interesting to watch what happens.

Reply #498390 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

sbs world news ran the story,last nite

Reply #498492 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SBS with an NBL story? Wonders never cease. Only because it is a Sudanese player, right?

Reply #498710 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:23 am, Sat 30 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754