Anonymous
Years ago

R3 Wildcats vs Kings

How bad can the Wildcats offense get? Pathetic and embarrassing last week can they top it against the Kings? Although meanwhile the Perth public keep lapping this crap up, unbelievable. I guess NBL with limited media coverage whether the games of late are good or poor quality no one knows so it is dependent on other factors.

Topic #35737 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

U are a tool!!!

Reply #499518 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah, all Wildcats supporters should stop attending because of the past two poor games. That would be great for the league!

/s

Reply #499519 | Report this post

Darryl  
Years ago

Yeah their offence hasn't been flash but they're still only giving up 69.5ppg.
Perth will bounce back.

Reply #499520 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is a woeful attempt at starting a thread on a game.

Reply #499525 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Worst gameday OP in the history of basketball forums.

Reply #499526 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

2 games in, as a supporter it don't matter if they win or lose, winning is great, if they go down u want them to go down by the better team on the night and give the effort required. Perth have been selling out games for the past yrs at challenge and now at the arena. They do an awesome job!!! Stop with the perth crap, they will be there when it counts.

Reply #499527 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Did the OP write this post with a green crayon ?

Reply #499528 | Report this post

Darryl  
Years ago

OP is just trolling. Obviously supports a less successful club.

Reply #499531 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Yep. They were so pathetic that they kept a team to 59 points and won the game. Horrendous.

Reply #499537 | Report this post

Tim Duncan  
Years ago

Perth are going to bounce back in this one. Sydney are going to need a lot more production from bench players like Cadee and White.

Reply #499541 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Its Friday night and shock horror, the game on One is in Perth.....with Sydney to boot.

The Perth Wildcats have become the Brisbane Broncos of the NBL....i.e. they are the staple Friday night television game.

Reply #499547 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Sydney playing bad.

But these refs are favouring Perth heavily.

Every single 50-50 call goes the way of Perth.

It was mentioned earlier that Vukona is a victim of his reputation and gets called for every little contact.

Martin is treated the complete opposite IMO. He is a world class defender but i do believe the refs have bought into how good he is - he doesn't get called for checking and contact like he should.

Reply #499549 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

HoldenV8 : I suppose they should show the other Friday night game ? Oh wait there is no other game being played tonight . Idiot

Reply #499551 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Perth are woeful. Perry not even close to good enough.

Reply #499552 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Perry not handling the pressure.

I like Childress' attitide - that defensive play where he blocked the shot and dived to save it in waa freakisb.

Isaac you must surely like him more than your favourite import of all time Sam Young? ;)

Reply #499553 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Wow. What a hit by Childress!

Reply #499554 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

My error - I of course meant Sydney are woeful.

Reply #499555 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Redhage should get called for a shoulder charge every time he sets a screen. But the one time he didn't use his shoulder Madgen flattened him.

Reply #499556 | Report this post

Bol Bol  
Years ago

Childress ejected!!!

Reply #499557 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

95 percent of the screens Perth have set are...half illegal, which makes them illegal !!

Reply #499558 | Report this post

Tim Duncan  
Years ago

Embarrassing stuff from Sydney - so many dumb turnovers. You have to wonder whether Perry will last much longer.

Reply #499559 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

I don't have a problem with what Childress did.

All that niggly and illegal contact on those Perth screens that the refs constantly miss.

Reply #499560 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Childress is a dog

Reply #499561 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Am I crazy or are do the wildcats have three (3) imports on their roster ?

Reply #499563 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Madgen ejected. Ridicolous tech foul. The 1st one probably fair not the 2nd. What a joke.

Reply #499564 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Terrible refereeing.

Inconsistent and clearly influenced by the crowd.

No doubt Perth were the better team, but a black mark on the league tonight.

Reply #499565 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

If the precedent has been set based on the calls on Madgen, then 70% of all attempted charges are going to be flops and if not then the refs aren't been consistent.

Reply #499566 | Report this post

Weak by Childress, safe to say he would have copped a lot harder checks in the NBA, he was the only one who could have won the game for Sydney, what did he think he was going to come over here to oz and have a cruisy run.

Reply #499567 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Train, I do know that there was no other game tonight. But that wasn't my point.

Perth have the Friday night TV game in 10 of the 20 rounds that make up the season (though not all are in Perth thankfully).

Now do you get the point or do you need some crayons and paper to have to work it out?

Reply #499568 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What an absolute joke these refs are. Totally out of their league. Lets hope Mal reviews the tape and sees how many bad calls they made and when the pressure is on they really are not up to it. The Childress incident started from a missed call by all 3 refs and that's why Childress exploded.
No excuse for what he did however the thug Wagstaff is needs to be scrutinsed on tape and a video review should see him rubbed out.
The refs should be demoted for life.
Equally the expert commentators that missed it on TV should hang their heads in shame. Lachie alluded to it, never pursued it and Carfino as a former Kings player pleaded, I didn't see it. Piss poor by everyone.

Reply #499569 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

I don't condone his behaviour. It warranted an ejection.

But all those uncalled screens and after a while you're going to get frustrated.as a coach I wouldn't be able to blame him but thats just me im old school..all about the bif.

It may be of benefit to the league.

The refs will hopefully review what led to the incident and realise the need to police Perths screens a lot tighter (wishful thinking i know)

Reply #499570 | Report this post

Bol Bol  
Years ago

Martin with 9 steals!!! Only 1 off ricky graces record

Reply #499571 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

Love how anon says wagstaff is the "thug". He's not the one who got ejected! Childress needs to control his temper! Thinks because he's a big bad NBA vet he's gonna have an easy run in this league!

Reply #499572 | Report this post

Please Childress would have been hit with harder screens in the NBA.

Reply #499573 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

It's probably not the hit that annoyed him.

It's probably the fact that Wagstaff was slightly moving and had been setting illegal picks all night none of which were called...

Difference in the NBA is that they actually call illegal picks..

Reply #499575 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wagstaff is a thug.

The refs decision is irrelevant, it was wrong.

Reply #499576 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow people are actually defending Childress?!?! :O

Reply #499577 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

Redhage flops.....every Sixer fan howls blue murder.

Madge flops twice....refs get it wrong.

Sheesh.

Reply #499578 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Not defending him. He is liable for the consequence.

But Perth and in particular Wagstaff = contributory liability.

So yes the Defendant is guilty but the plaintiff contributed to the outcome.

Reply #499580 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Marcus..how can you compare the two?

Redhage has never been ejected for flopping. Madgen was.

Reply #499581 | Report this post

annon  
Years ago

Yep, once again Perth getting it all their way and no calls for everyone else as the NBL protect its ASSET !!! Redhage and co have a completely different set of rules and green light on illegal screens, hip and shoulder... seriously should be in the footy - now hear the Perthites get upset… Whatever… Might as well just smash em

Reply #499582 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

It was a warranted ejection, and then some.

It was also a missed foul immediately before that on Wagstaff.

That doesn't excuse Childress' response.

Reply #499583 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I hate Perth and all there whinging fans. About time someone made a stand and belted one of their players.

Reply #499584 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Funny how they now start calling the fouls on perth now the game is essentially over and after they lost control of the game.
So frustrating to watch blatant fouls let go. Last years clean basketball was a better spectacle, so many steals coz bumps put perry off balance to then lose control.
Childress would never have been held onto so much and got no love from anywhere.
Wag staff, redhage, Martin no doubt why perth is the most hated team.

Sometimes a tech is warranted to get the refs calling it both ways but childress snapped and went too far.

Reply #499585 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

what opposition teams need to do in Perth is adapt very quickly to how the refs are calling the game....start setting half illegal screens....very quickly !!

Reply #499587 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Childress should have hit him harder.

Reply #499588 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

don't go against how they are calling it....go with it !

Taipans Vs Perth in Perth....can't wait !!

Reply #499589 | Report this post

Rosco  
Years ago

When you best defence is to flop twice like Magden, as an nbl player you should be embarrassed!!

Reply #499590 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The problem is they try but they get called for the fouls so the inconsistency builds frustration. even the ticky tack ones are called against opposition teams. Watch the first half of the grand final game last season to see a great example.

Reply #499591 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

To be fair, Martin has been brilliant in this game.

Reply #499592 | Report this post

Uncle Phil  
Years ago

The hit from Childress was far too big an over reaction and he was rightly ejected for it, it will be interesting to see if a suspension follows? Having said that it does bring some happiness to see a dirty player like Wagstaff put on his ass.

Pity the refs werent policing flopping on Redhage in last years finals series like they did on Madgen tonight, he would have been ejected rather early on in game 3.........

Reply #499593 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Lets go to the video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1knVZS4XjN8

Reply #499594 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow Childress. Didn't keep his head cool and should get 2 to 3 games for that. Also I'd get rid of perry and get someone experienced too much youth there

Reply #499595 | Report this post

Mark  
Years ago

Anon- you hate the whinging wildcats fans? Just like the majority of every other team in the leagues supporters who dont stop whinging about the wildcats? They're too rich, they've got too many imports, they have their own rules, their tickets are too expensive blah blah blah. It's called sour grapes- blow up a balloon and let it go.

As for Wagstaff's illegal screens and being a dirty thug, are we all forgetting that he's been selected by the Boomers? You want perth fans to stop whinging, perth fans want everyone else to stop whinging.

Reply #499596 | Report this post

Flinders80  
Years ago

In my opinion, the screen set was legal. Hard but legal. Gave him the one step minimum and was stationary. Childress reaction was a brain fade and a build up of previous non calls.

1st flop was correct. 2nd flop was not a flop. I don't agree with the send off for the two techs even though technically it's correct. Just thinking the ruling is totally wrong for flopping. Why does it have to be techs. Just make them regular fouls.

Lastly, a question for other hoops users. Is it still considered a triple double if you get 10rebs, 10ast, 10stls??

Reply #499597 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No sour grapes. Just do not like Perth flogs like you and your team. Nothing to do with ticket prices

Reply #499598 | Report this post

Bol Bol  
Years ago

Wagstaffs was a good solid pick that childress wasnt expecting so it hit him hard. He retaliated and went straight for wagstaff with an elbow so deservedly was called for the unsportsmanlike. He was ejected because he went on with it afterwards when teams dispersed to the benches. Not sure where the biased reffing is

Reply #499599 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

HoldenV8 : I accept your point that there are a lot of Perth games being played on Friday nights but you were complaining that Perth and Sydney's game was being televised again on a night where there were no other games. Sorry I was probably a bit rough calling you an idiot .....but you can't complain about a game being played when there's no other alternative ;)

I remember someone mentioning a while back that the reason the Perth a games are shown Friday night a lot is because it can occupy the 9:30 time slot on one/ten and still be classed as live ( as Perth is 3 hours behind ) so that might be the answer

Reply #499600 | Report this post

Over the years I have shaken my head on occasions, wondered how someone made the roster etc but tonight was the first time i have genuinely felt sorry for someone. Perry gave me a sick feeling in the guts. i have no doubt he can play but based on tonights game, I may as well dust off the old Tiger (yes before the were ASICS)"nice shots" and extra tight shorty shorts and give him some "me time" to mend his damaged ego. As a parent of young sports people I could only empathise and wince my way through this game

Reply #499601 | Report this post

Tim Duncan  
Years ago

Childress has blown up at the NBL on Twitter.

Reply #499602 | Report this post

Bol Bol  
Years ago

I dont like anon flogs here with their constant whinging and negativity

Reply #499603 | Report this post

T  
Years ago

I don't like them either Bol Bol.

Reply #499606 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Respect to Childress. I am actually surprised it has taken this long wth the cheap shots, elbows, holding, illegal screens and flopping from Wagstaff and Redhage.

Reply #499607 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

"Childress has blown up at the NBL on Twitter" what is he saying?

Reply #499608 | Report this post

T  
Years ago

"It was very clear who runs the league and the officials tonight. Maybe the best officiated game I've ever been a part of."

I feel like that's ungracious and unsportsmanlike. Despite what may have been happening during the game, no one should charge someone with their elbow raised high, regardless. As a professional, you are supposed to keep your cool and be a role model to others- taking dangerous actions like that is pathetic and childish. He had a brain snap and hit someone else, and that should never be condoned.

Then to take it onto social media and act like he was the victim just makes it ungracious. As someone else commented, cop it on the chin and grow up.

Reply #499610 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cop it on the chin....oh, you meant his chin?

Reply #499611 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

BolBol, Wags wasn't set on the pitch, was still stepping into it and raised his arms - I assume the is what got Childress unduly riled.

Reply #499613 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

A bit similar to the Anstey, Jonny Flynn rant a few years ago when they accused Perth of kidnapping the officials or some sort of crap. Don't think much came of that from memory.

While Wagstaff should have been pinged for a foul on the screen Childress just had a brain explosion that I believe was more of a result of the frustration from getting their arses well and truly kicked.

I have never witnessed a point guard get demolished the way Perry did tonight or a coach as clueless as Cotter in still expecting him to dribble the ball up the court with a pit bull like Martin chewing him up bit by bit.

Perth smelled the fear and just thrived on it.

Sydney have big, no huge, holes in the one and five spots.

Reply #499614 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Same shit over and over cats getting the calls in home the next week peeps be saying cats getting calls on someone's elses home court... 4 out of the 5 starters for te cats had fouls with in the 1st 5 minutes to kings zip

Reply #499615 | Report this post

Matt  
Years ago

exactly fstos I don't know why Perry wasn't given screen help in the backcourt or why they didn't put cadee into the game with him to break the press

Reply #499616 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Don't quote me but in the NBA (maybe Fiba also) I'm pretty sure setting a blind-siding screen within a step of the defensive player is deemed an offensive foul.

Reply #499617 | Report this post

Matt  
Years ago

if the game was so biased to the wildcats why did Daniels play limited minutes because of fouls get over it.People defending Childress are unbelievable the guy is a vet he is better than that.

Reply #499618 | Report this post

Alexkrad  
Years ago

Lol

Reply #499619 | Report this post

Venom  
Years ago

Statsheet Stuffer

http://www.nba.com/features/misunderstoodrules_051128.html

'Illegal Screens/Picks: A screen or pick is when an offensive player gets to a legal position on the court in the path of a defender for the purpose of slowing down the defender or making him change direction. An illegal screen/pick is when the defender does not get into a legal position. When picking a stationary opponent from the backside, you must give that player a step to stop and /or change direction since he cannot see you. If the opponent is moving, you must get to your position and give him enough distance to stop and/or change direction. The speed of the player will determine the distance. You cannot just jump in front of a player at the last second.'

The screen was set from the side not from behind so this rule doesn't apply regarding giving a step distance. For me its 50:50 in realtime if wagstaff sets his feet in time - the fact that he still had momentum as his feet planted to take the impact would indicate he was not stationery at the time. Childress just ran into the screen and Jessie giving the impact some more oomph pissed Childress off. Alex Loughton has given Jessie a few good return serve screens and put him on his arse so he gets as good as he gets.

Reply #499621 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

Both players should be ashamed.

Firstly Childress deserved a tech for flopping, but Wagstaff's flop was much worse. He should have been penalised too; how how long did he stay on the floor, 10 seconds? At least JChill bounced back up and committed to the clothes line, I mean, close out, on Wagstaff.

Just another example of opposition players being penalised when Perth players flop in Perth.

Reply #499623 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not sure if serious....

Reply #499625 | Report this post

Venom  
Years ago

FIBA rules - http://www.fiba.com/downloads/Rules/2014/Official_Basketball_Rules_2014_Y.pdf

Illegal screening is when the player who is screening an opponent:
ï‚· Was moving when contact occurred.
ï‚· Did not give sufficient distance in setting a screen outside the field of vision of a
stationary opponent when contact occurred.
ï‚· Did not respect the elements of time and distance of an opponent in motion
when contact occurred.

So based on this the screen was illegal as wagstaff was moving into position and did not give appropriate distance for a blindsided Childress to alter course.

Reply #499626 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Cheers Venom

Maybe it's that I hate Perth that much, I dunno, but to me Wagstaff acactually sets the screen once Childress' back was turned. Not a Fiba rule as well? Also it was too late, Wagstaff just jumped in front of him at the last second. He just jumps into a screening motion at the last minute. He wasn't set properly for mine

Reply #499627 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

God I hate Perth, if I haven't already said so

Reply #499628 | Report this post

Venom  
Years ago

Ooops I should say can be interpreted as illegal or legal depening on the opinion of the ref if childress was stationary or in motion. Given he was moving left to block a perth player and then the perth player moved right to use the screen I would say the screen was legal and Childress blindsided himself.

Reply #499629 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

You're right, Childress was moving. They both were

Reply #499630 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ok, let's say Wagstaff does set an illegal screen. The refs didn't call it so Childress throws an elbow. Who's fault is this?

Perths, apparently.

Reply #499631 | Report this post

Maxymoo  
Years ago

Yes a potentially missed block versus a deliberate forearm charge at a player ...identical.....almost a play on call.

Reply #499632 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm a Perth fan and I didn't think Madgen's first flop was a flop.

Elephant in the room is how disappointing Daniels has been.

Damo, the most amazing defensive game I've ever seen.

Reply #499633 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Haha not condoning what Childress did at all, was his fault

Reply #499635 | Report this post

Maxymoo  
Years ago

Both were flops.

Trouble is they will call these 2 and then not the next 10 ....I can see how he would feel hard done by but both were there.

Reply #499636 | Report this post

Bol Bol  
Years ago

Oh i thought people were trying to justify childress' pathetic brain snap with a notion of wildcats illegal tactics. On here it seems seeing red is ok as long as your not wearing red. Amusing!

Reply #499637 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Lol, this is getting some play overseas.

Reply #499638 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't condone it but fuck, it's taken long time for something like this to occur to Wags. Hopefully Redhage cops one soon. Built up frustration to continued cheating is why I feel this way.
Good on Childress for standing up for himself, only player who is financially able to speak his mind and not worry about losing his job.

Reply #499640 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

"He was ejected because he went on with it afterwards"
One ref had a disqualifying foul immediately, and I'd imagine the other two refs agreed with him after some discussion, as they should have. Going on with it was never a factor.

Reply #499641 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

It was an illegal screen, he dipped his shoulder into Childress and didnt give him space. But what Childress did was just wow. Should be a suspension, I imagine it will be two games so he doesn't miss a home fixture.

I just showed the clip to a non-basketball person who said "Haha, the guy deserved it, he flattened him and then got flattened back. Hilarious!"

I guess that's why basketball people should be in charge of the rules!

Reply #499645 | Report this post

Kr  
Years ago

Re the 2nd madgen flop, I'd like to hear someone else's view on whether it was a travel by Daniels before he knock madgen over. Personally think he shuffled his feet and should have been called a travel, so madgens flop would have been irrelevant

Reply #499646 | Report this post

Why the need to call a tech for the flop, why not just ignore the player that flops. Players will soon stop when there man is hitting an open shot whilst they are sprawled on the floor. Huge over reaction by the NBL to make the rule a tech foul.

Refs just don't need to make that call, let them worry about real fouls.

Reply #499647 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dirty, blind cheap shot on the screen on a quality player. Happens all the time. And got paid back with interest. Yes of course he shouldn't have reacted like that and had to be ejected but maybe he will think twice about cheap shotting on a screen again and the refs will keep an eye out for it too now. i for one would prefer we err on the side of protecting our leagues stars a little so we see some more attractive, offensive play rather than condoning cheap shots on screens.

Reply #499655 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't usually have anything nice to say about the refs but good on them last night for teching madgen for flopping. All you need to do is calling him and other floppers once or twice and they wont be doing it anymore. Surely worthington will receive a tech tonight?

Reply #499656 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

I like to think of it as the peoples' elbow

Reply #499659 | Report this post

Darryl  
Years ago

Early days but a Perth v Cairns grand final sounds good.
I think Childress is good but not great he won't lead Sydney to the playoffs.

Reply #499660 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i think you'll find any blind screens called as fouls in the next few games

Reply #499663 | Report this post

Double Clutch  
Years ago

We want players of Childress quality coming to Australia in the future, so this is not a good look.

A little bit extra was given by Wagstaff on that screen, it was a missed call. It is what it is, calls get missed.

If precedent is anything to go by hopefully just a suspended penalty will be handed out. I've been much impressed by Childress' attitude here, full 180 degree turn from Sam Young who probably had the most disgusting body language of any player I've seen in the NBL (granted his coach was Shane Heal).

Reply #499665 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

I'm surprised he and Redhage don't have this happen to them every single game.

Good on Childress.

If the refs are going to allow them to keep going with the cheap shots then someone has to let them know, somehow.

Reply #499670 | Report this post

Bol Bol  
Years ago

I call on the experts to explain to me what wagstaff should have done in that instance? He was already standing there and childress ran in his direction. Is he better off absorbing contact and falling backwards and being teched for flopping or should he step out of the way? Technically it could be deemed illegal but only barely and considering the alternatives id much prefer a player on my team that can impose some physicality. He didnt do anything different than other bigs have done from other teams. They are big boys and should be able to handle solid contact. I hardly would call it thuggery. The only thuggery was on behalf of childress because his ego was bruised

Reply #499672 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

The screen by Wagstaff was a hard one, I'm gonna take my supporter goggles off and say it should of probably been called a foul by the refs......however..... That was also a nice piece of acting on the flop by Childress and what he did when he got up was totally unprofessional and unwarranted. He was right to be ejected.

I'm not a big fan of the officiating in this game. They weren't in control at times and then at other times seemed to call some soft fouls. In saying that though I don't think it favoured any team. Foul count was even. The first five fouls were called on Perth don't forget.

I don't like the tech and disqualification for flopping either, call a foul and that's it.

Reply #499673 | Report this post

Bol Bol  
Years ago

"Good on Childress"

You should anon yourself with a comment like that Mick

Reply #499674 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

I don't agree on letting players off lightly on a flop, the league is in a time where trends need to be set.

Reply #499676 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Mick and I share the same opinion. It was pretty violent for basketball, but something simply needs to be done. How are we going to expand the league if not even the players want to be involved in the shit? Let alone fans

Reply #499677 | Report this post

Vodka63  
Years ago

It is simply amazing that an act of outright violence is being turned around to somehow being all due to the way the Wildcats play and that there are comments on here justifying what Childress did.

There seems to be differing views on whether Wagstaff's screen was legal or not. Given that, surely a no-call is the right outcome seeing as it wasn't definitive.

Then we see a player who has played around the world and with extensive NBA experience coming up with a flying elbow. And people are saying good on him? Who knows, perhaps it's an insight as to why he is getting paid so much not to play for his team in the NBA. He should know better. He was the only guy who had any shot of getting the Kings back into the game and he let his team down.

I wouldn't be surprised if he was already feeling humiliated giving he ended up face first on the court at the other end a couple of minutes before attempting an uncontested lay up.

Credit to the Wildcats on not escalating it. Compare Childress reaction to a screen that some say was legal, some say not, to Wagstaff's reaction to a blatant elbow to the throat....hit the freethrow and play out the game. I know who I would rather have on my team.

Reply #499679 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

We aren't condoning the aggression of it all, we are just choosing to discuss why Childress would have reacted that way. Just because that's the only point raised doesn't mean we are condoning the reaction.

And come on, there's more to it than a simple screen and subsequent reaction. It happens all game every game in Perth

Reply #499683 | Report this post

Bol Bol  
Years ago

Statsheet from a team perspective.. what would you want your team mate to do if he were in wagstaffs position?

IMO he was just holding his ground and not flopping to absorb the impact. Which could be contributed to with the tightening of the flopping rule

Reply #499685 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Screeners don't really flop because it generally looks worse for them if they do.

Wagstaff played it fine. If you can get away with leading a bit with the shoulder, all the power to him. I'd encourage that if I were his teammate. The Redhages and Wagstaffs of the world are just a byproduct of poor officiating. And good on them for taking advantage of it. Thing is, other teams' supporters are just jealous of what you guys can get away with. That's where a lot of our hatred comes from

Reply #499686 | Report this post

Vodka63  
Years ago

mick - " good on Childress"

Statsheet - "Mick and I share the same opinion"

Sounds like condoning to me

Reply #499687 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

The problem isn't Wagstaff and Redhage, the problem is the officiating. This isn't about "who you would rather have on your team". I'd rather have any guy on my team that is going to win me games by gaining an edge, and most of those Perth guys are great competitors adept at gaining any edge they can, all game long.

People are going around citing flopping, grappling, illegal screens, dirty play etc. as if it's the players' fault.

That'd be like if all of a sudden, Redhage and Wagstaff and Martin were allowed to take 4 steps without dribbling instead of two, and then we started blaming THEM for it instead of the party that is allowing it to go on unabated. Yet those same guys are allowed to play with the same amount of contact that they did BEFORE the league / Mal Cooper "crackdown" on illegal contact, while Mika Vukona isn't allowed to play anything approaching "aggressive" defense without being fouled out of a game. Something has gotta give. If you flick through NBL.tv on a given night you will see several different games being officiated as if they were from unaffiliated leagues on the other side of the planet.

It's the officials' fault. That screen happened right in front of that ref and he gave it a thumbs up with the forearm shiver and late step-in in plain view.

Perth get away with it better than any other team because they are better at exploiting the poor officiating, and they are a hell of a basketball program. Also they do it consistently so there is an element of normalisation there for the officials: "oh, that's just how Perth plays. That's just how Damo plays defense, he's a bulldog. Wagstaff is just tough. Redhage is just a pro competitor."

Yes, all true, but also, there is a whole lot of illegal play happening. Good teams find ways to gain an edge, lesser teams don't.

Reply #499688 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Haha yeah it does doesn't it. I took Mick's statement as an endorsement of what the hit stands for, not the violence itself. Some kind of statement needed to be made last night

Reply #499689 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

FWIW, I condone Childress for standing up to someone about it, I don't necessarily condone the shot to the neck/head, even if I don't necessarily blame him.

You take a game full of hip checks, grappling and illegal screens and then get popped by that one in plain view of a ref with no whistle, it's hard to stay composed.

I like seeing people stand up to tougher teams and I like seeing guys take the game seriously.

Will certainly make the next Perth / Syd game more interesting.

Reply #499690 | Report this post

Bol Bol  
Years ago

Well said!

Reply #499691 | Report this post

Bol Bol  
Years ago

Its true that the wildcats play to the limits of the rules better than anyone. And so should any other good team in any sport otherwise there is no competitive edge. But they have also adjusted to rule changes/tightening better than anyone. Everyone said they would struggle with stricter interpretation last season and now with the flopping rule. Redhage in particular has adjusted to it. I dont think that can be attributed to being favoured by poor officiating there is always going to mistakes made by officials in all sports. Perth know how to adjust to the officiating and play it to the limits and sometimes crossing the line but not enough to be noticed. Micks point of 'normalisation' of how someone plays is a good one but individual wildcats players have made big adjustments in how they play in recent seasons also

Reply #499694 | Report this post

SydneyFC  
Years ago

Are the refs at NBL games locals?

Reply #499696 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

Mick your 688 reply is a great summary of the frustrations I feel too.

Reply #499699 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@ Mick - what was wrong with the JW screen?

Set, JC had a step....?

Only thing I can see wrong is he's wearing red

Reply #499700 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

This is another example of something that is great for the league. made the headlines on ninemsn etc and from a basketball point of view, im glad he retaliated aswell. Perth are never short on this sort of thing, great to see a guy take the game seriously, wouldve Sam Young had the same reaction? Childress is great for this league.

Reply #499702 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Better than ninemsn this is making headlines around the world!

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/10/24/josh-childress-delivers-flying-elbow-to-opponents-face-video/

Probably a plus for the NBL's exposure in the US. Because of the all the free advertising Childress is now giving us I'd just give him a slap on the wrist.

2 games and a fine.

Reply #499704 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

More chance of selling tickets for an NBL game on local media outlets, but yes I agree world wide exposure is great and unexpected.

Reply #499707 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pretty clear after watching the replay closely the Wagstaff screen was illegal with the action of both arms going forward as he tried to sneak into a legal position doesn't cut it. Childress' reaction as a near 400 NBA game vet is inexcuseable. The refs that miseed the first foul should hang their head and be dumped.

Reply #499708 | Report this post

bootleg  
Years ago

Not saying Childress did the right thing (he didn't). But it couldn't of happened to a better bloke, to get smacked in the head.

I noticed Wagstaffs screens after that point in time where a lot more tentative. Maybe it is the way to stop perths grubby tactics, just pop them in the face.

But it shouldn't come to that, Glesson coached teams always push the rules to the limits, and i would say more often than not they step over that line, but never seemed to be penalised for it. Its no wonder perth are so dominate when they can get away with stuff that other teams can't.I understand they have a very talented team but it makes that much harder when they can get away with stuff that other teams can't. And before people say well everyone should play that way, thats stupid, it makes for crappy and unappealing basketball that doesn't bring people to the games. i thought the NBL was trying to speed up game play and not allow hand checking on ball handlers as much. They seem to have rained in NZ but Perth seem to be immune to the rule changes.

Reply #499709 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So where did the refs come from? Locals?

Reply #499710 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Man, some people making some real scum statements in here and then trying to cloak them up in weasel words.

"I'm not condoning, but [three paragraphs of cheering on the elbow, excusing and condoning]"

Dude just ran down an opponent halfway through a jump shot with an elbow to the head cause he didn't like running into a screen. I'm sure that tickles the testicles of all sorts of immature fools out there who want to think with their ego and testosterone, but it ain't on. It isn't a good reaction, it isn't a warranted reaction, it is simply inexcusable, and every 'yeah, but' is just betraying massive immaturity.

Sort yourselves out, lads, FFS.

Reply #499712 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bootleg, you're an idiot. Anyone that condones a solid flying elbow to the face when the victim isn't looking is a complete moron.

Reply #499713 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

People just look for a reason to hate on Perth. When the Kings were winning championships people, including Perth fans and myself, called them the dirtiest team in the NBL , same with the Tigers, Breakers in their glory days. I totally understand why people call Perth dirty based on that, after all we are all one eyed passionate supporters of our respective clubs. But you can't condone nor justify Childress reaction.

Reply #499714 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"This is a woeful attempt at starting a thread on a game."

127 replies yep woeful. OP makes a legitimate point about the ugly offense although a point that was missed that others have subsequently raised is they are taught to continue it as they get all the 50-50 calls at home. They are allowed to do what most other clubs can't. What is woeful are the refs Mal get onto it like you did with your weight.

Reply #499720 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What is needed are more incidents like the Childress blowup because otherwise these refs and the league will not learn.

Reply #499721 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mick you are right I am a diehard basketball fan, not just NBA & NBL but worldwide and my team are the Wildcats but it is too hard to watch how they play, it isn't basketball but indoor rugby. Saddens me. If you watch non Perth games some are reffed well but when you watch a Perth home game nothing has changed since Mal came on board. :(

Reply #499722 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

God you guys cry like little beeyatches.

Watch some Euroball and learns yourself or take up netball.

Jealousy is a curse and that's all it is.

Reply #499724 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Typical one eyed Wildcat fan. Don't care what is happening to the league because they are winning and that's all that matters. Selfish one-eyed ferals!

You are obviously not basketball fans but only Wildcat fan and the style of play is irrelevant as long as your team wins. It is not the way the game should be played.

Reply #499726 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How could he "not be looking". FFS he just looked at the basket and made the shot. Childress was directly in his face. Some people need to watch.

Reply #499727 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

'wanna apologise to the children watching.' childress just then on tvnews

Reply #499728 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#727 some people need to understand. Did Wagstaff had time to see what was coming and react or defend himself? No. It doesn't matter that he was facing Childress, he didn't see it coming.

Reply #499731 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

FFS, he was still in the air when Childress hit him.

Reply #499733 | Report this post

Uncle Phil  
Years ago

An incident like this might actually work in favour of some of the visiting teams heading over to Perth. Everyone knows that the reffing in Perth is pretty terrible and often visiting teams dont get a fair crack. You would think refs will be looking at lot closer at areas of the game like off the ball contact and illegal screens and calling the game much tighter in that stadium after what happened.

Reply #499737 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

Totally electable.
Probably worth 4-6 games too.

It might have been a cheap shot but with years of playing dirty, there are not many in the league that wouldn't have had a little giggle to themselves.

Poor officiating. Missed illegal screen which shouldnt have occurred then 2/3 got the call wrong. Officials at this level don't decide that the foul is unsportsmanlike or disqualifying, the call becomes instinctive. Only 1 referee got the call right because in the worlds opinion disqualifying was the only call

Reply #499740 | Report this post

Darryl  
Years ago

What the OP should have written is how sad and pathetic can the Sydney Kings get?
I hope they get the spoon.

Reply #499741 | Report this post

Maxymoo  
Years ago

@726 - yes the Wildcats are what is wrong with the league.

I guess Childress was freaked out by playing in front of a crowd again.

Imagine if this had been the other way around? The tears would be enough to issue a Tsunami warning.

Dog act.

Reply #499742 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

This is how the people in this forum think :

- Ervin knees Goulding in the balls....its OK.
- Childress elbows Wags in the neck....its OK.
- Julius Hodge stomps on a plastic decal.....they lose their sh!t.

Reply #499743 | Report this post

Vodka63  
Years ago

...and allegedly throw a trophy in the river...outrageous

Reply #499744 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Marcus, all of those incidents you mentioned were all the Wildcats fault.

Reply #499745 | Report this post

Darryl  
Years ago

Don't forget Joey Wright last year against Perth.

Reply #499746 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

Yes sorry...I forgot :

The Sixers head coach throwing a right hook on an opposition coach = OK.

Greg Hire shooting a 3 pointer, thats just not on.

Reply #499747 | Report this post

Ano  
Years ago

in years gone by, the wildcats have played dirty. karma rightly or wrongly squared this up front n centre.

but not good for the image of the game however....

Reply #499751 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Childress was in front of him, whithout doubt he would have seen him. What you should have said is that he didn't know what Childress was going to do.
I guess Wagstaff never expected to encounter someone standing up to what he did previously and seems to have always gotten away with.

Reply #499752 | Report this post

Vodka63  
Years ago

Ano....how exactly did he "square up". Wagstaff took the hit, didn't complain, got the free throw and played the game out. Childress on the other hand spent the rest of the night in the locker room. I'm not convinced there was anything to square up for but if there was, Childress fell well short again

Reply #499753 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Train, in truth I was only complaining about the Ten/One schedule which leaves a lot to be desired IMO.

And I'll agree, I probably could have chosen a better night to bring up the point lol.

Reply #499755 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

I guess thats Ano's definition of 'Karmic Retribution' :

1) You get popped but not hurt.
2) You get the And 1.
3) You get Possession again.
4) The best player in the opposition gets ejected.
5) Your Right Handed 9th player on the bench does a Left Handed reverse layup with the next possession.

Ano...do you also believe in receiving Virgins upon death by any chance?

Reply #499757 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

the screen that Wagstaff set was slightly illegal...like the rest of the screens that Perth set.
Visiting teams need to learn how to respond and not play into their hands !

Reply #499761 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't see anyone putting their hand up to be referee's.

I see most rather make judgement whilst sitting on the couches and chairs.

Not backing the ref's here but I for one wouldn't want their job.

Perth are always going to get the home court advantage, over 10,000 fans screaming versus a couple thousand if they are lucky at other Stadiums.

P.S. Tigers Fan here! RIP

Reply #499768 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No one has answered who the refs where and where they cam from.

Reply #499773 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Two were locals, not sure where the other one was from.

Reply #499777 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

2 down one to go. Thanks.

Reply #499778 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#773 go look at the live stats and look at the box score if you want to know who the refs are. Its not difficult to find out.

Reply #499781 | Report this post

Bootleg  
Years ago

#499713 man you hurt my feelings. Words hurt:)

I will cons iced that what I stated was a little immature and there really is no place for flying elbows in basketball . I just really dislike the way Wagstaff, redhage etc play and hopefully because of this incident the way the game is refereed in Perth will be looked at and greater attention will be paid to of the ball contact.

Reply #499782 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The other is from NSW.

If you think you're making a point, you're not.

Reply #499783 | Report this post

Bake  
Years ago

I am a thirty year season ticket holder, and a Kings hater for the whole time of their existence, and even I thought the officiating of Friday's game as being beyond the pail. I have been seriously considering my ongoing support for the NBL and this game did not help me in making a decision to continue. Childress's action was not just the result of that illegal screen, the raised elbows and force similar to that of the reaction, but was just the culmination of the way the game was played and officiated.

Childress's tweet was right on the money even though his actions will cost him money.

The NBL, and especially its servant "Hollywood" Mal, have a lot of work to do before it can be described as a credible organization.

Reply #499790 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Boti's take on the incident . Pretty much got it right in this article
http://www.botinagy.com/blog/childress-went-bill-lambier/

Reply #499794 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Semantics, but one ref signaled a DQ straight away.

And of course Boti mentioned Nick Marvins twittering, still conveniently ignoring what Dean Parker did prior that after last years melee.

Reply #499795 | Report this post

Vodka63  
Years ago

Good old Boti...can't comment on what happened in the lead up because he wasn't privvy but still wonders how much of it was legal.

Reply #499798 | Report this post

Maxymoo  
Years ago

Good article by Nagy

Reply #499799 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I believe my point is that they weren't enough experienced refs overseeing a game that was always going to be potentially explosive.
The more overall point is that the up and coming pool of refs generally aren't up to it.
I see it ay local level, seabl level and worse than ever before NBL level.

Reply #499806 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why was this game going to be any more explosive than any other game?

Reply #499824 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kings are 0-14 against the cats. New coach new hunger and with some good match ups it was always going to be a tough ask in Perth. Pretty simple really.
Having no senior experience there is clearly a problem, but of course its all the Kings fault. read what Bake says above as for some local perspective from someone that clearly knows whats going on.

Reply #499825 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Any game, at any time, can be potentially explosive if you go searching for reasons.

Reply #499826 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No reason to search what so ever. if dint know it was going to be potentially explosive you don't know a lot about the Kings Cats rivalry. let alone since 2010.

Reply #499829 | Report this post

Vodka63  
Years ago

So #825, what are the explosive games over the next few rounds that the league should be on the look out for given how simple it is?

Reply #499831 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When one team has won 14 straight, I wouldn't call that a rivalry. Perths rivals are generally NZ and Adelaide. Sydney's rivals are themselves.

But again, you can claim that any two teams are rivals if you go searching for reasons.

Reply #499836 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Guess you don't know a lot about the long rivalry at all. Every team has a rivalry with Perth.

Reply #499838 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

Can anyone claim to have a rivalry with the Melbourne United? Other than Chris Anstey?

Reply #499864 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Has anyone looked exactly what Wagstaff did? lets pretend he did set a legal screen and I don't believe he did, but assume that is the case now.
The interesting thing I noticed was the double locked arm bar that was pushing horizonatally outwards towards Childress.That action isn't legal in IMO and that coupled with being blind sided caused the motion that felled Childress. The rest is history after that an I reckon Childress will be out for a long time.
Maybe they will have to cut him to get another import too otherwise they might have one under performing import for a long time.

Reply #499906 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That was some double locked bullshit pushed horizontally in to our faces.

Reply #499909 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If it was at your head clearly legal too.

Reply #499919 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:53 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754