KingJames
Years ago

Childress Apologises on twitter

"I acted out of character and I apologize. I thank the many fans who have offered their support! It means a lot!!!"

"I am cognizant of the responsibilities that come with being a professional athlete. I would like to apologize for my behavior and acknowledge that my actions were unacceptable. I am committed to upholding a standard of excellence both on and off the court. I sincerely apologize to the Wildcats and Kings organizations, the NBL and the fans. Thank you"

Topic #35745 | Report this topic

Vodka63  
Years ago

But no mention of Wagstaff

Reply #499789 | Report this post

Maxymoo  
Years ago

Half arsed apology is better than none

Reply #499791 | Report this post

Bol Bol  
Years ago

Sick of these immature pro atheletes that vent on twitter then delete their tweet after realising it was a dumb idea.
It just makes his apology now however sincere he may be, sound a little contrived

Reply #499793 | Report this post

Vodka63  
Years ago

If he was really remorseful, you would think he would at least mention the person he thumped in his apology (like the Vickery/Cox incident in the AFL this year where Vickery was clearly genuine). This has all the hallmarks of trying to lessen the penalty at the tribunal. Joe Ingles got it right on Twitter.

Reply #499797 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Bol Bol he hasn't deleted his original tweet so I hope that makes you sleep easier.

Reply #499808 | Report this post

wildcats80  
Years ago

What do you mean no mention of Wagstaff?

Reply #499809 | Report this post

Wildcat Fan  
Years ago

I think what he did was out of character and I think he is remorseful. Why wouldn't he be? Sometimes players see red in the heat of the moment, it doesn't make them a notoriously bad player in general. Childress's track record proves that.

What he did was a brain snap, but lets move on. He's a great player for the league and if him being here helps the Kings profile in Sydney improve then keep him here and keep him happy He's a massive upgrade on Sam Young.(though he should get a 2 game suspension for this)

Perth fans can go a little over the top with their hatred of opposing players and whenever there is an incident, they don't forget about it for quite a while. And thats a shame in Childress's case, because quality players like Childress don't come around too often. Would hate to see him get booed all game next time he comes back to Perth, but you can bet it will happen.

I'd much rather the fans come out in force again to appreciate the talent on offer, but all that will be forgotten over a 2 second brain snap and now he's Perth's most hated opposition player.

Reply #499810 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nope, that's still Ervin.

Reply #499812 | Report this post

T. Rex  
Years ago

Good on Childress for his apology, sincere or not he has put it out there.

Since he is such a quality player in the NBL this season and he is apparently still to receive some big $$$ from his NBA contract payout. Rather than sit him out a few weeks, fine him and send the money to Townsville Crocs.

Fair punishment and helps out the league. Sitting him out for a few weeks doesn't help anyone.

I still think it was a pretty soft screen, you can't tell me hasn't been hit harder in his NBA & Europe career!! Wagstaff is not that big.....I am pretty sure Vekona is going to be targeting Childress in the next game if he falls that easily and has a brain snap, what better defence against him.

Reply #499815 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

I think this is literally the most international coverage the NBL has ever received.

Reply #499820 | Report this post

Bol Bol  
Years ago

King James it was reported in the paper that he deleted his first tweet but i didnt check for myself. Regardless if its deleted or not its made public anyway and its those comments that are made in anger that are usually remembered the most.
I do believe he is genuinely remorseful and he is a good guy. I really hope he comes out firing next game against the cats and he has a great season for the kings.
The NBL needs him to be playing every game and playing well so its a pity he will probably miss some games because of this.

Reply #499821 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

I'm not going to judge the guy right now.
How he responds to this, and how he behaves from here on will be what matters IMO.
Pretty decent start I would say.

Reply #499823 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good idea actually:
"Rather than sit him out a few weeks, fine him and send the money to Townsville Crocs."

Reply #499827 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Yup, this has made the NBL well known all over the globe, just he publicity we want too...

Reply #499830 | Report this post

CatsFan  
Years ago

I understand people get caught up in the heat of the moment, and I definitely don't condone what Josh did- but as an avid Wildcats supporter, I appreciate the apology and move on from what happened.

I believe that he's a good guy and what he did was out of character, and I too hope that the next time we play Sydney that he doesn't get booed.

Reply #499834 | Report this post

Tim Duncan  
Years ago

Well said, Wildcats fan.

Reply #499872 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

Let him play - Sydney's in Cairns this week and it will be a 40 point demolition without him.

Reply #499874 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

this league may suspend childress, but it's still got wagstuff, and every now and then someone will retaliate, rather than just put up with it

Reply #499933 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I like the idea of giving him two options: a four-game suspension or a big fine ($50K?) that is distributed to the league's poorest clubs.

Reply #499936 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

No matter how good a bloke someone is, or how much we feel he may have been provoked or how much frustration has built up prior to a hit like this, it can't be allowed in basketball, it must be seen to be punished sufficiently.

This is the reality of it, if we allow emotion to cloud our judgement we risk others believing they could get away with something similar, that is just not on IMO.

Want to play the hip and shoulder, go and take up ice hockey.

Reply #499937 | Report this post

tao  
Years ago

sorry to hear he is childress. i hope he can have a famiry soon. that make his rife comprete and maybe he not get so angry anymore.

Reply #499950 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

hahahahahhahahahahahha

Reply #499951 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Spot on Bear.

Who knows if the apology is contrived- and written by someone from the Kings- or if it is 100% genuine and completely heartfelt from a remorseful person.

Either way, it's classy of Childress to apologise. Well done.

But Bear's point remains- these acts cannot go unpunished. If he doesn't get 3 games then the NBL is even more of a joke and a bush league. Note: I'm someone who's been a club member for nearly 15 years and has put plenty of volunteer hours into the NBL. I have no axe to grind and no interest in trashing the NBL. I love the NBL, and for it to become a credible pro sports league you need to have principles. Childress has to go for at least 3.

Reply #499956 | Report this post

Ganymede 86  
Years ago

Give Childress 3 games and it's over.

Reply #499957 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Statement from Sydney Kings on the Childress incident .
http://www.sydneykings.com/article/id/63yfn9mocxke1d0z4hzungd5d

Sounds like a lot of rubbish trying to justify his actions.

Reply #499967 | Report this post

Matthew  
Years ago

I was there at the game and whilst I think it was just a heavy pick by Wagstaff, I think Chil had a brain snap. It was certainly a heavy hit, but I think in the heat of the moment, It was just a once off.

Whilst I think he will get suspended for perhaps 2 games I dont think this kind of action is really much in his nature at all.

I was much more surprised with how.. ball scared Perry looked. Bringing the ball back into play from score he looked very apprehensive.

Reply #499982 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

What a lame attempt at justifying Childress' behaviour that one is.

The Kings front office has managed to simultaneously reveal that not only do they have no clue about PR, but they have no idea about the rules of basketball either! The pick set by Wagstaff was perfectly legal.

Also, even if the screen was illegal (it wasn't), does that somehow justify throwing an elbow into someone in mid air, and mean the elbow should be dealt with differently?

Wow. What a day to be a basketball fan and/or a Kings fan.

Reply #499991 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I thought it was illegal on two counts, dipping the shoulder and not giving the player space. But it wasn't dirty, unlike the pathetic reaction it got.

Reply #500001 | Report this post

Vodka63  
Years ago

Pathetic by the Kings. After seeking to justify Childress' violence by making it Wagstaff and the referee's fault, they then say at the end that they won't say any more because it is going to the tribunal - bit late for that. They say there was an uncalled foul as if it was fact and as if that justifies Childress losing the plot. Guess what Kings, the call made by the refs was that it was Ok - the ref with the best view put his thumb in the air to signify that. Many qualified observers have said that there was nothing wrong with the screen.

What comes out of this is that the Kings two imports are very jittery. Childress doesn't like a physical game, and Perry can't cope with intense D. I suspect they are both going to be tested on that for the rest of the season.

Reply #500003 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

I think it's disgusting that CHILDress has not specifically apologised to Wagstaff (publicly anyway) . Wagstaff reaction and public response to the incident has been nothing but professional. CHILDress comments on Twitter (which haven't been deleted) and That rubbish of a statement by Kings management is terrible, not just for the Kings but the NBL.

Reply #500013 | Report this post

Romerio  
Years ago

I think I would have hit Wagstaff as well. Put his shoulders into it, and got what he deserved. Not a professional move by any stretch, but it's what Wagstaff deserved.

Reply #500014 | Report this post

Come on  
Years ago

No doubt, the screen was illegal because Chill was guarding the cutter & wasn't looking
When he turned, he ran straight in to the screen which was also moving forward.
The defender must allow two steps prior to contact when the screen is blind

So, the referee missed a call ( it happens ) but then the reaction from Chill got what he deserved with the ejection & I don't think at the tribunal any missed calls prior should even be discussed.

The report is for his actions & his actions alone.

Reply #500015 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If the Kings are hoping for circumstances outside of the isolation of the incident to be taken into account they are in for a long afternoon.

Tribunals are instructed to focus on the incident in question, retaliation is never a defense i've seen carry weight ever.

Reply #500016 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Romerio, how did he deserve a running elbow to the throat?

Reply #500021 | Report this post

Cats b2b  
Years ago

Alway's happen's, blame perth, standard. What a pussy by childress, wags could'nt even defend himself. It's the nbl, they are men, that's why respect the breakers no matter how hard these to go for it, nuthing like this ever happend. Did he think he was untouchable? Welcome to the jungle and i cant wait til he is back! That was a cheap shot and if that happened to any other player or team every one would be thinking differnt. Playing if front 12 000 + other teams come here either play there best or the worst, why everything happen in perth?

Reply #500027 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/a/25360323/nbl-star-childress-to-face-three-charges/

"Childress is charged with striking with an elbow, unduly rough play and bringing the game into disrepute.

The tribunal hearing will take place behind closed doors in Sydney from 5.30pm but Childress is expected to speak to media afterwards."

Can't see his twitter comment helping his charge for bringing the game into disrepute. I don't think he is the smartest cookie in the barrel by a long shot.

Reply #500028 | Report this post

Fan-ciful  
Years ago

I was at the game as a neutral supporter and saw a heap of dirty ball being played by the Wildcats - which the refs never call! The amount of holds, reach arounds, illegal screens, shirt tugging that goes on is crazy. If a guy like Childress is used to playing in a properly officated league, like NBA, it will take time to become accustomed to the prison ball we play over here - even more so in Perth. It was obvious he was becoming frustrated as the game wore on.

The NBL reffing is a joke, Childress' behaviour was a joke, but as a neutral fan with 12,458 others it was a fantastic evening of entertainment. If only the NBL was as strong in all cities as it is in Perth.

The league needs Childress back on the floor as soon as possible...but he needs a few weeks to keep things consistent.

NOTE TO FANS:- Stop hating on the stars just because they aren't on your team. Melbourne United sure could do with Chris Goulding about now.

Reply #500035 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So Train what if Childress is right? Very few posts here ever support the standard of reffing and maybe this will start the ball rolling. Mal's in charge but how about the NBL putting something in place to assist raising the pathetic reffing standard across the country. A win for all I would have thought.

Reply #500036 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

#0036 what ever argument you are throwing out there ...... Nothing can justify CHILDress's reaction as "right" . He is totally in the wrong in this instant even if the refereeing was below par.

Reply #500047 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I never said Childress wasn't guilty. In basketball the retaliator always gets caught. if they caught the first foul the screen either The screener was in the legal correct position or not. All the Perth people say he was so it should have been a foul on Childress. End of story. The Perth fans have never mentioned that only saying it was legal. So a foul on Childress has to be the next call, not a no call because that's what the Perth fans will deny.
Throw the book at Childress I say. The NBL won't and he will get a heavy away with a heavy fine and a few weeks. Wagstaff will continue with his allowable style of play. As will Perth.

Reply #500057 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Huh? Why does it have to be a foul on childress? It's a no call if he comes off second best. What a ridiculous argument.

Reply #500064 | Report this post

Vodka63  
Years ago

Despite all the debate and discussion on this, the refs actually got the management of the whole incident, including the lead up, right.

Reply #500074 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No call you cant be serious with the contact from both parties there had to be a foul called. No call is a cop out call with that sort of contact. Anyway sometime tonight we all will know the result.

Reply #500089 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

FFS just because there's heavy contact on a screen doesn't make the screen illegal.

Reply #500096 | Report this post

Come on  
Years ago

No your correct BUT what makes it illegal is it's timing, feet not being set & the fact it's a BLIND screen on a guy who is guarding another player making a baseline cut

Have you played ?

Reply #500108 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Go back and look at the video again come on. It isnt blind, he sees him coming as Childress look at him over his left shoulder before he loses beal. He is stationary when Wagstaff sets up and he has a step. Legal play, Childress responsible for the contact as he is a terrible defender away from the ball

Reply #500118 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Come on

From the rule book
33.5. The distance is directly proportional to the speed of the opponent, but never less
than 1 normal step.

Childress was stationary and then turned and ran taking a full step before contact....

Your assertion that 2 steps are required is wrong

Reply #500119 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Plus the pushing forward with the arms is totally illegal even if on place in time.

Reply #500120 | Report this post

Come on  
Years ago

Ok, granted not less than one step
In many cases it's two steps, right?
From my view Chill was looking the other way at his man when Wagstaff sets up position & only turns with half a step before running in to it

As offers have said, Wagstaff also raises his arms

It's illegal, no question

As the rule says you have to consider speed etc, did Chill have time to stop or avoid contact with the time/distance he was given

Granted it's a good play by Perth to open up a shooter but not legal in my view

Reply #500122 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wagstaffs wrists are in front of his crotch protecting himself. Chilldress saw him coming when he initially was in the middle of the key over his left shoulder, loses Beal and then chases him not checking for a screen. He has a step, it isnt Wagstaffs fault no one let him know it was coming etc.

Reply #500126 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Childress had tried to maintain peripheral vision as in ball-you-man concept he would have been aware of the screen. He lost vision...and paid a price. Shit defence, good screen...end of story. And I hate those dirty Perth pricks as much as anyone but nothing illegal in this instance. People who are lazy defensively get hurt.

Reply #500128 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's a beautiful screen and anyone who coaches players should point to it as a good example.

If I ran into that screen I'd get up and tell the guy "great screen".

Has Josh never run into a screen before?

Wagstaff's reaction in the heat-of-the-moment and ever since has been class, he doesn't lose his head.

But I think I am supposed to say "Josh is a first class guy and very intellectual, and Wagstaff is a dumb thug".

Reply #500135 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Josh clearly has never run into an illegal screen obviously. That's why he reacted the way he did.

Reply #500144 | Report this post

Fan-ciful  
Years ago

I suspect Josh isn't used to such crappy officiating and all the prison balling he's had here which has fuelled his frustrations. I hope he gets his head right and plays great ball for the rest of the year. The league needs it.

Reply #500149 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Come on", its not the defenses responsibility to alert the offense to a screen, ever seen a guard run into a "brick wall" screen in the back court.?????

The rule says the defensive player must have established defensive position and allow the offense 1 step prior to contact.

Did Wagstaff put a bit on it with extended forearms? Or was that follow through after contact?
Can't tell from the camera view, Ref in Lead had the best view.

Reply #500151 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Blatantly clear that the arms moved outwards as Childress neared him. Outside the cylinder is the word isn't it?
Everyone will know later tonight. Either way.

Reply #500153 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

At worst a 50/50 call, at ABSOLUTE worst.

In any event completely irrelevant in regards to the charges.

Reply #500155 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How is the screen Wagstaff set got anything to do with the charges on Childress?

The tribunal wont give 2 hoots about it.

Reply #500156 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Outside the cylinder is the word isn't it?"

Three words, actually. And just because you add clearly, blatantly or obviously (or a combination of all three) to your posts, it doesn't mean you're speaking the truth.

Reply #500157 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The arm bar was not Clearly extended outside the cylinder at all, unless you have Xray or 3d vision i don't know how anyone can say that as an absolute.

What we can see is Wagstaff's arm moving after contact, but not before contact.

Anyway, i'll ask again, what has the screen got to do with the charges? they are completely different events.
Retaliation is not a defense in any way shape or form.

Reply #500159 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The tribunal should give 2 hoots about it because that action from Wagstaff resulted in the next action.
Everyone talks about Chilress' experience in the NBA and yes I agree with all of that. Strange after all that experience he chose to act the way he did. For apparently no reason at all.

Reply #500165 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Absolute Rubbish. The actions of Wagstaff have nothing to do with the reaction of Childress in retaliation.
He ran into a screen, weather the screen was legal or not means nothing because either way he didn't see it so how would he even know?

To me the screen looks legal, so be careful what you wish for, if the screen is in fact legal that makes his reaction even worse.

Reply #500171 | Report this post

Vodka 63  
Years ago

I doubt the tribunal will offer any view on whether the screen was legal or not. It would open up a can of worms, particularly is it is not entirely clear one way or the other

Reply #500179 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It makes no difference if the screen was legal or not.

If Wagstaff's actions were that flagrant and outside the rules a tribunal can deal with them independently.

A Hard screen, legal, 50/50 or not, is no defense for what he did.

Reply #500185 | Report this post

Darryl  
Years ago

Unfortunately for Childress two wrongs don't make a right. The Wagstaff screen legal or not is no justification for what Childress did.

Reply #500187 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Correct. We also need to look at the bigger picture here too.

Its a very dangerous road to head down given the example we're trying to teach kids about playing fairly and NOT retaliating.

Start introducing justifications for retaliation into a tribunal and you open up pandoras box.

Reply #500189 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And an accumulation of niggle is no justification either. That was the last straw blah blah blah....

The fact remains he ran into a screen that on the night was called fair and then launched into an MMA style response.... No excuse. There is none.

If the referees had refereed poorly up till that point and didnt have the required control then that is something for Mal Cooper and his men to deal with and punish/assess accordingly.

Nothing that occurred in that game justifies what Childress did. People can discuss, argue, reason or whatever until they are blue in the face..... the bottom line is nothing justifies the lunging, jumping swinging forearm to a defenceless airborne player in the act of shooting.... Simple as that.

Reply #500196 | Report this post

JWC  
Years ago

Reply #500258 | Report this post

JWC  
Years ago

The foul on Childress was as hard as I have seen in backcourt in a long time. If the Ref's had blown the whistle, then none of this would have happened. For basketball would have been a better outcome. pity really.

Reply #500261 | Report this post

LOL  
Years ago

1 game ban, $7500 fine and 1 game suspended sentense

Reply #500267 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:40 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754