Isaac
Years ago

Hawks release Dave Gruber

Sad news. Great guy and hard worker.

Martin back or trying to snatch Motum or what?

Edit: Rhys or another guard.

In order to stay in contention for the playoffs and to continue to compete with the top teams in the league, the club believes it must add depth and experience to its backcourt.

Topic #35771 | Report this topic

paul  
Years ago

Weird, he's been such a good player for them. He would be a great fit for Sydney or Melbourne if they have room.

If they've released him to get Rhys Martin back I kind of understand, as they desperately need Rhys if they want to make playoffs.

Reply #500442 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

How does Rhys fit with Ervin and Carson?

Reply #500443 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

He is crucial with Ervin and Carson, he will make those guys fit into the system.

Reply #500445 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe one of them to go as well?

Martin and Motum?

Reply #500446 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

The Hawks don't need another big, they need another guard. So far theyve had five guys filling 80 mins in the frontcourt and effectively 2.5 guys filling 80 mins in the backcourt.

With Martin on board Demos can go back to spot minutes which he can fill well with his energy, with the other three playing 25-30 mins each.

Reply #500448 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

If you have Rhys you only need one of Ervin or Carson.

Reply #500449 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Melbourne would be better off with Gruber at back up Centre than they are with Macmillan.

They do need to bolster their backcourt. In this season's NBL Demos just doesn't give them enough offense to play that third wheel and average 15-20 mins a game. This must have hit home as a result of Carson and Ervin being sick/injured over the weekend and realising they need more.

Reply #500450 | Report this post

molten millie  
Years ago

Jump on Board Sixers !!!

Reply #500451 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"If you have Rhys you only need one of Ervin or Carson."

You need more than two good guards in the NBL, and both Ervin and Carson are shoot-first players, so they will fit well with the unselfish Martin, who will also teach them the system on-court.

Reply #500453 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

If you have Rhys you only need one of Ervin or Carson.
Not true. You start Martin and Ervin and have Carson off the bench Deleon style. As paul said, 80 minutes allows 26-27 MPG from them and you have Demos as a back-up if you need to try harassing someone.

I think Motum will end up in Adelaide. Boti wouldn't talk about him being close to signing if it wasn't seriously on the cards. I'm surprised there hasn't been more talk about that actually.

Reply #500457 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ok - so is there any teams who could take on Gruber
for the rest of the season?

I'd love to see him stay in the league for another year or two

Reply #500458 | Report this post

Max Power  
Years ago

Sixers would be far better off getting Gruber than Richie Edwards. We really need a back up C/PF who can guard the paint and rebound. Considering the club is on a budget this is the guy we need to go after.

Reply #500460 | Report this post

Ganymede 86  
Years ago

If the Hawks released Gruber before the Sixers signed Edwards then I reckon the Sixers would've gone Gruber

Reply #500463 | Report this post

Darryl  
Years ago

I would also go with Carson off the bench for instant offence and foul/injury insurance. With Nevill and Davidson I see Gruber as the odd man out.

Reply #500464 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

could the sixers also add him? even if its short term until Motum comes (if he signs at all)

Reply #500465 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think the Hawks erred in taking Nevill as anything more than insurance for Davidson's injury. They're a team who have seen success through chemistry and following a strict plan and this Nevill and Gruber business really messes with that.

Ex-Hawk Dan Jackson was another glue guy for them and he's not impressed. I'd say he was involved long enough to have a good idea of what's going on and where the problems are?

What is going on with the @wollongonghawks ? Family and community club no more huh?
You know how not to increase crowd numbers? Cut a crowd favourite! @JamesSpenceley
Gruber all class and an unbelievably good teammate, not to mention a great energy guy. What a joke.
What happens when a non basketball person makes basketball decisions?? Oh wait...
Sounds like the new owner is more of an influence in this than the coach?

Reply #500467 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wouldn't read too deep into Jacksons comments. He's not involved anymore. He's no more than a disgruntled fan

Reply #500470 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I'd say he still has friends on the team and would have a pretty good read on things. I wouldn't write off his comments quickly at all.

Reply #500471 | Report this post

Ganymede 86  
Years ago

The mistake for the Hawks was signing both Ballinger and Nevill. They should've only gone with one that way the situation doesn't come to this.

Reply #500472 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Anon, here's Glen Saville:

I'm absolutely gutted @DGruber42 is no longer @wollongonghawks . He is everything the club needs ATM. Gutsy hard working and selfless.
@danjackson9 I'm thinking of buying a Doctors surgery. I might even perform a few open heart surgeries while I'm at at.

Reply #500476 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I really can't see motum at the sixers - the guy would be getting calls from euro teams all week and would demand a pretty big pay packet already
and is a legit on the cusp NBA player

If I were the sixers I'd take a look at Gruber anyway if they could fit him in

Reply #500483 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Why would the Sixers want Gruber?

We have Anthony, Montreal and Petrie to play the power forward position. All of them I rate higher then Gruber. Also he is too small to play center. He is still good enough to play in the NBL but just not at the Sixers.

Reply #500489 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good Aussie for a new NBL team next season.

Reply #500490 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Gruber is one of the nicest guys you could meet and he gives 100 per cent every time on the floor. A class act and i wish him all the best and his young family.

Reply #500492 | Report this post

dugg  
Years ago

i heard that if the hawks drop this next game gordie is getting sacked also that the new guard coming in is not rhys martin

Reply #500496 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

Dugg you are off ya head mate. As if Geordie would get sacked

Reply #500498 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Don't know if anyone has seen it but James Spenceley just confirmed Rhys Martin is the one coming back to replace Gruber.

Reply #500503 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

dugg, well done troll. Owner just confirmed Martin.

Reply #500507 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

I disagree. An import off the bench is a waste for a team like Wollongong.

Isn't Carson on marquee money too....wasted as a 6th man imo.

Reply #500510 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Carson cant shoot a jump shot, Id say the money is wasted on him. Good not great. Hopefully someone picks Gruber up, stand up guy that gives everything he has.

Reply #500513 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

You only need 2 good guards in this league as most teams do - see below. The teams that do have 3 decent level guards are generally stacked in other positions - the Hawks aren't. It's not like any of their guards have good size about them either. They could better utilise Carsons spot and money elsewhere in my opinion now that Martin is back.

36ers;
-Wilson
-Gibson

Taipans;
-Wilbekin
-Gliddon

United;
-Dennis
-Tomlinson
-Corletto

Breakers;
-Jackson
-Webster
-Carter

Wildcats;
-Martin
-Beal

Kings;
-Perry
-Madgen

Crocs;
-Markovic
-Norton

Hawks;
-Ervin
-Carson
-Martin

Reply #500514 | Report this post

Ganymede 86  
Years ago

The mistake for Wollongong was signing both Ballinger and Nevill if they did that they wouldn't have had to release Gruber. They should have signed one of them along with Rhys Martin and got an Import 2/3 instead of both Ervin and Carson with Martin.

Reply #500515 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rumour has suggested gordie is under the pump and hence the change. Let's hope it works. Will cotter be the first to go?

Reply #500520 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Ganymede, problem was that Martin wanted out so he could go to Europe. That was in the paper a few times.

The team could've got someone like Carter though and grabbed a 2/3 import.

And I agree that Ballinger-Nevill is the double-up, compounded by them being new to the team and new to the plays.

Tornado, the Hawks ran Deleon off the bench behind Martin and Hurdle previously. NBA teams often bring wildcard scorers off the bench in guard ranks - Crawford at the Clippers, Manu at the Spurs, Smith at the Knicks, Harden at the Thunder, Terry at the Mavs, Gordon back at the Bulls.

If anyone at the Hawks has put Gordie under the pump after messing with the team structure, they are insane.

Reply #500522 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cotter was not first to go! Anstey was and if you think he walked and not pushed your clueless.

Reply #500524 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Isaac...Deleon wasn't on marquee money and Hurdle was at least over 6 foot and played more as a 2 guard than pg. At the moment, the Hawks have 3 point guards and none are above 6’0.

I see your point in regards to your NBA reference but feel that works better because they play 48 minute games.

I think this whole Hawks team is out of balance and I feel for Gordie.

Reply #500530 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Two of them are scoring guards. The 36ers went to the GF last year with Ervin, Gibson and Carter. Teams obviously try to upgrade at the expense of height sometimes.

I don't know if Carson is really marquee money.

Reply #500550 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Carson is straight out of college and needs time to mature.Hes shown what he is capable of but needs to make a 4 quarter contribution.That will come with time and maybe a year or two in Europe.

Reply #500554 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

I'm not sure you would consider Gibbo or Carter scoring guards...?

Reply #500571 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isaac, the reason nobody's talking Boti & Motum is he's full of crap. Taipans to run last anyone?

Reply #500627 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:49 pm, Tue 23 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754