Satish Dogra
Years ago

Gaze - the next generation

Just noticed in the boxscore from today's SAC-NSWM U16 girls game that a "Kate Gaze" tore it up with 29 points for NSWM.

Further investigation reveals that Andrew's cousin Mark, who used to be a serviceable player with the Tigers back in the 80s, is the ABA women's coach for the Sutherland club in Sydney, and is more than likely to be Kate's dad.

Is this family incapable of producing good basketballers? What sort of big odds would you get that none of Andrew's four children will turn out to be guns?

Topic #3579 | Report this topic

Dr Dunkenstein  
Years ago

satish - in the messenger (Eastern Wednesday 13th) there is an article about Wayne and Sturt's u12 Girls team that won GOLD at the classics. Also mentioned in the article was

"Sturt beat a Melbourne Tigers team including Courtney GAZE (daughter of Andrew the Great) in the semi by two points."

Reply #41596 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

if i am not mistaken Andrew Gaze's wife is Nigel Purchase's sister so the 'basketballing'genes should be well and truly alive and well in those kids.

but as the children of famous parent/s i hope the pressure doesn't become too much and they can enjoy the game.

Reply #41603 | Report this post

Satish Dogra  
Years ago

Thanks Dr D - that Indian bookmaker who quoted me 10,000 to 1 on zero out of four Gaze children being gun basketballers obviously knew more than I did about this. I only lost $50 anyway.

Here are some other odds he gave me:

- Sixers signing Paul Rogers: 25-1

- JB fouling out before DMT on Saturday: 1.10 to 1

- DMT fouling out before JB: 1.10 to 1

- DMT and JB getting hit with a double foul trying to foul each other: 2.40 to 1

- C. Wood fouling even his own teammates in desperate bid to get fouled off before either JB and DMT: 4-1

- The Phoenix Gorilla being named as the greatest all-time sports mascot, worldwide: 1.05-1

- NBL being seen on free-to-air anytime in the next five years: 33-1

- Brisbane being under the cap: 40-1

- B. Newley to start for the Crocs and lead the league in shot attempts per 48 minutes: 3-1

Reply #41607 | Report this post

Bob Knight  
Years ago

"Is this family incapable of producing good basketballers? What sort of big odds would you get that none of Andrew's four children will turn out to be guns?"

Good point about the Gaze family Satish but will anyone in that family ever be able to play some defence?

Maybe the Tigers could've won some more championships if they bothered to bend their knees once in a while on the defensive end.

Reply #41609 | Report this post

Dr Dunkenstein  
Years ago

haha, put me down for $20 on

- DMT and JB getting hit with a double foul trying to foul each other: @ 2.40 to 1

tell your bookie i'll catch up with him at half time to collect by $48!

Reply #41610 | Report this post

Satish Dogra  
Years ago

Coach Knight,

Good to hear from you again. I've been thinking about this very problem, and have come up with an innovative solution: I call it the "shuffle defense".

What it means is that the Gazes and/or the Tigers will now be able to run shuffles at both ends of the floor. We all know how their shuffle offense works, and this is how the shuffle defense works:

1) match up on player quicker than you (ie every defense)

2) guess which direction speedy opponent will blow by you

3) if you guess correctly, shuffle to a spot where you think the opponent might be headed

4) flop, hoping for a charge call

5) protest vigorously to referee as your opponent heads to the basket for another easy two

6) if you guess incorrectly, shuffle to spot nowhere near opponent, and then as opponent scores another easy two, yell at teammates for providing poor helpside defence

There - it's easy.

I look forward to Texas Tech running the shuffle defense in the 2005-06 NCAA season!

Reply #41615 | Report this post

gertrude  
Years ago

absolutely classic satish!!!

Reply #41617 | Report this post

Bob Knight  
Years ago

I see you stole the sixers 6 points of emphasis on defence. I will try it this season though. Who wants to watch defence anyway when you can try to block every shot and claim that you altered it when it misses or wear a cape and call yourself superman and LUNGE for everything and let your teammates help out as their man shoots an open jumper and cherry pick for a open court statue of liberty dunk.

What have I been thinking all this time! It time for change baby.

Reply #41622 | Report this post

Jackie  
Years ago

Heyyyy courtneey was at ma basketball camp
shessss reallyy funnyyy =]

Reply #151239 | Report this post

Courtney Gaze  
Years ago

I found this website and found it all about me and my brothers and sisters.

no pressure is on us and we've been encouraged to play and sign up for any sport or activity we want to. We might have some basketball dreams but we're exactly the same as any other child in Australia.

Reply #177913 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:22 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754