LC
Years ago

Kings vs Taipans, Nov 1

Can the Taipans extend their unbeaten, record breaking run, to open the season?

Odds: Taipans $1.15, Kings $5.50

No Childress for the Kings as he serves his suspension. Sydney will need Perry to step it up, but I can't see them stopping he red-hot Taipans.

Personally, I am predicting a 13 point win for the snakes.

NBL 2014/15 Round 4 Preview: Kings head tropical to face undefeated Snakes

Topic #35796 | Report this topic

Darryl  
Years ago

Cairns comfortably in this one.

Reply #500858 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

I agree, Cairns should be too good a both ends. Snakes by 12.

Reply #500862 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Need a few more floor sweepers - preferably with mops to mop up the blood.

Reply #500867 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Kings were ugly vs Perth and I think that Cairns offence is a lot better than the wildcats at present. Without Childress the Kings are lacking big time. They are going to need everyone to step up or face a 20 + blow out.

I'm really interested to see how Perry responds after being destroyed by Martin last week. Will he come out firing with a point to prove or will he crumble even further.

Reply #500895 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kings up 41-27 at half-time!

Reply #500914 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Wow , Kings playing well and Cairns offense looks rattled.

Reply #500915 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Does anyone else think Gliddon is extremely overrated ? I struggle to see how he can be justified as starting PG.

Reply #500917 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

"I struggle to see how he can be justified as starting PG." because their other options are Bruce and Maynard.

Reply #500920 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Taipans win 74-62

Reply #500924 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Fair call. I opened my mouth too soon , he's been killing it in the last quarter lol

Reply #500925 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Gliddon is a starting SG.

Reply #500926 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kevin White has to be one of the biggest wastes of space ever to step on a basketball court. Has never been, and never will be, up to NBL standard. When you've got him and Daniel Joyce as your ninth and tenth players, you've got serious problems.

Reply #500928 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

He also did a good job on Madgen.

Even if there was someone better on the bench they are now 6-0 so you continue to go with what works.

Sydney really should have won this one. One of the major turning points was when J@yce missed both foul shots and Cairns came down and hit a 3. 5 point turn around was the beginning of the end for the Kings.

Reply #500929 | Report this post

AussiePride  
Years ago

OK, I put some money on the Kings at $7.50 for the win and $15.50 to win by more than 5. Unbelieveble odds for an NBL game where any result is possible. Looked pretty good early and thought I might be celebrating when they were 17 up.
You would think even the Kings could hang on from there.
But any side that allows Kevin White on the floor at NBL level and even lets him shoot the ball deserves everything it gets. I doubt White has hit a 3 pointer for nearly 4 years yet he was putting them up at every opportunity. I am not putting the loss wholly on White's shoulders but it is evidence of the lack of planning and process at the Kings. Cotter needs to have a good look at himself.

Reply #500930 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

"Kevin White has to be one of the biggest wastes of space ever to step on a basketball court."

Probably not the worst ever but doesn't deserve the 26 minutes. When the Kings were struggling in the 4th he decided it was time to shoot a couple of 3's.

Reply #500931 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

White in 4 years in the NBL has shot 90 3's and hit only 16 at a very healthy 17%. I hope he keeps shooting them in a few weeks when the Sixers play them.

Reply #500933 | Report this post

Wonders  
Years ago

As much as Fearne would want to heap praise on the defence, it was a case of offence leading to offence tonight

Reply #500934 | Report this post

Wookie  
Years ago

Cotter is becoming more clueless as the season progresses.

Reply #500935 | Report this post

Darryl  
Years ago

Sydney just don't have the talent to make the playoffs.

Reply #500940 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Funny reading people bagging Cotter after this one. His game plan completely threw Cairns for the best part of three quarters in a game Sydney had no right to be in without Childress.

In the end the Kings just ran out of options. Hopefully he can get the team playing with that defensive grunt with Childress in the team.

Reply #500943 | Report this post

A  
Years ago

Paul, I watched a couple of Kings game this season, and in all honesty I have never seen an uglier game plan/structure in all my time following basketball. The team he has put together is simply wrong. I do not understand what he is trying to do, it's like he is wanting to coach the team like you would coach junior teams.

I'm scared for basketball in Sydney, if he keeps on persisting with this game plan, even with Childress, Sydney will struggle to get more that 3000 to games.

Reply #500975 | Report this post

ballwatcher  
Years ago

Reposted from ozhoopsboards.

Just watched the replay.

Start at around 2:29 remaining in the 3rd quarter for the play that led to the tech.
Cadee drives left into the keyway
Kicks ball out to Ellis outside the 3 point arc
Ellis to Madgen as defence closes in
Madgen to Cadee, still on left, to reset offence
Cadee drives right into keyway with a hook shot over an outstretched Tragardh
Shot bounces off back rim
Ellis comes from nowhere over Wilbekin to grab rebound.
Ellis runs the right baseline into Bruce
Ellis kicks ball out to no one in particular, out of desperation.
Ball bounces just short of halfcourt line into backcourt violation territory.
Desperate retrieval by Joyce throwing ball back towards Cadee
Intercept by Gliddon in full flight
Gliddon drives straight to the rim with Joyce ahead of him
Joyce sets his feet, Cadee comes from behind
Looks very much like a knee nudge from Cadee sending Gliddon toppling
No call ....
Joyce mops up ball and Wilbekin forces him to the right touchline
Wilbekin fouls Joyce, both players momentum taking them to the touchline
@2.00-1.59, Referee takes a step forwards towards the players as they propel towards the touchline and makes the call
Wilbekin brushes referee and appears to spray the ref, either for the Gliddon no call or stepping into players path
The rest is history.
Comments, anyone?

Reply #500977 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Did not catch this game last night, but by all accounts the Kings did well enough to hang tough for a while before Cairns did what everyone expected them to do.

Taipans bite Kings, stay perfect with dominant last quarter

Reply #500979 | Report this post

Lawsy  
Years ago

It's laughable Kevin White is actually paid to play basketball- I came in here 12 mths ago and said he was the worst Nbl player I've ever seen- I was then told by someone he is a "lockdown" defender lol.... Give me a break... I can honestly say- I've never seen him an open Jump shot in 2 seasons

Reply #500987 | Report this post

Tim Duncan  
Years ago

What is Kevin White's position? Gets called a combo guard but gets barely any assists his 1/8 2pt effort last night is par for the course.

Reply #500996 | Report this post

Wookie  
Years ago

Hopefully Childress can play D.

Reply #500999 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

ballwatcher, from where I was sitting it looked like Cadee kneed Gliddon on the fast break due to sloppy defensive footwork. The no-call set Wilbekin off, and fair enough. But it certainly got the crowd going and the rest is history.

And to all the knockers of Kevin White at least he showed some heart. Casual Cadee had the chance to control the game but seemed more interesting in his swagger, as usual.

Reply #501095 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:32 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754