Years ago

36ers confirm Brock Motum signing

Interesting
Brock was on the same flight as me from Brisbane to Adelaide
Signed?

Topic #35805 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

awesome exactly what Adelaide needs. Liked his hustle and work at the world champs. If he is going to sigh, I am going to watch this game closely today because if Edwards plays good Montreal is gone.

Reply #500971 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Might be due diligence visiting the teams that want to sign him?

Reply #500976 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Motum has agreed to join 36ers, will replace Montreal after todays game.

Reply #500983 | Report this post

Gordon Liddy  
Years ago

Who is Motum and who is Montreal?

Reply #500988 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes, has definitely signed. Great news for 6ers fans.

Reply #501013 | Report this post

Phil  
Years ago

shensch
motum - petrie - anthony
creek - crawford
teys
gibbo - wilson - daly

like that roster very much

Reply #501029 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Very lucky to have a positive record leading into this signing. The 6ers tried to pull a sneaky one and get results with a weak import by NBL standards this season. Didnt work, well done on a quick reaction and potential save of a season. Dont let the early form fool you, this team wouldve fell away heavily in time. With Motum on board, now they have heart and guts to push in every game they play!!!

Reply #501031 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

How definite is that? Can I go out and buy a set of Darnell Mee & Kevin Brooks signed Cuban Championship Cigars?

Reply #501032 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Definitely Montreal's last game and will be replaced by Motum...that was from the mouth of Montreal on the way to the game.

Reply #501034 | Report this post

Darryl  
Years ago

So a fully fit 36ers lineup might look like this

Gibson/Wilson
Teys/Daly
Creek/Crawford
Petrie/Anthony
Motum/Schenscher

Reply #501035 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Did they actually announce it at all today?
Give the crowd a chance to send Montreal off? Was pretty good of him to still play today considering he already knew he'd been cut and had an injury cloud during the week.
Probably the only slightly disappointing thing about this. Otherwise, I'm pretty excited.

Reply #501038 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Def. signed after the game. After Creek returns, Crawford will make way for Edwards.

Reply #501039 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's confirmed, Boti's article announcing the Motum signing is on the 36ers facebook page.

Reply #501046 | Report this post

Carts  
Years ago

Confirmed on onthefoul.net

Reply #501053 | Report this post

Carts  
Years ago

Andthefoul.net my bad

Reply #501054 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/basketball/boomers-forward-brock-motum-so-suit-up-for-adelaide-36ers/story-fni2uang-1227109939003

Reply #501062 | Report this post

Darryl  
Years ago

Great for the NBL to get a quality aussie like Motum to play here. Great for Adelaide, blows the race for the title wide open this year with Cairns also right up there.

Reply #501067 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Woohoo! That's awesome. Time to go get my victory cigars!
Okay... maybe a bit premature, but we should be pretty good with Motum added to the lineup!

Bad luck to DQ. I genuinely like his game, but he just wasn't ready to have the impact this Sixers team needs if it wants to contend for the title.

Reply #501068 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Great that Adelaide managed to post a decent record up until now too. Their roster isn't a world beater on paper but they've played above and beyond what I expected from them, now you'd think they're a legit contender.

Reply #501081 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Good on the club for recognising the opportunity and spending to take advantage. Being at the upper end of the ladder and adding a Boomer could make sure they get a home final and hopefully more.

Reply #501093 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

This is awesome news for the 36ers and the NBL. The league is no longer a 2 horse race and if Sydney and Wollongong can find some form the league could be the closest to parity then it has been in a long time.

Reply #501094 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Adelaide now with two Boomers, every other team with zero? Is that right?

Reply #501096 | Report this post

Ganymede 86  
Years ago

This puts Adelaide in the 4 I think. Good pick up as he effectively replaces Johnson. Especially considering they're 3 - 2 with an average roster prior to getting Motum. I'd start Motum at the 5 and bring Schenscher off the bench.

Reply #501097 | Report this post

Darryl  
Years ago

That's right Mick. Adelaide do have the NBL's only current boomers, of course they do now have the one import but I think they have the talent to make the top 4.
Other clubs such as Melbourne have ex boomers such as Barlow and Worthington.

Reply #501100 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

With Schenscher playing so well lately I think the line up will be

Schenscher
Motum
Teys
Gibson
Wilson

or perhaps start Wilson on the bench since he is coming back from injury

Schenscher
Motum
Anthony
Teys
Gibson

Reply #501101 | Report this post

Tim Duncan  
Years ago

Great to see such a quality player in the NBL. Wish Sydney signed him though.

Reply #501105 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Schenscher, Motum, Petrie
Motum, Petrie, Anthony
Creek, Crawford or Edwards
Teys, Gibson
Gibson, Wilson, Daly

Reply #501107 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

Boti said it's for this season and 15-16 season! If true this is one of the best Aussie signings ever.

Reply #501111 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

So Curtley....Want to predict some more moves for us to rule out?

Reply #501112 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Tom, I wouldn't be surprised if he bailed to Europe though...

Reply #501113 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Getting Teys has been an awesome pick up for the club over the last 2 seasons, not only has his play far exceeded expectations but he being on the team must of been helpful in us getting Motum.

Im pumped to get Motum, he is the perfect replacement for DJ, so hopefully puts our team back to last years level.

Pity for DQ as i think he is a decent player and did fairly well considering his price and role on the team, but when a chance to get a Boomer with NBA experience comes along you have to do it. I hope DQ gets another go in the NBL someday, is he able to naturalise sometime soon? that would be his best bet, as he is a handy NBL forward imo, not a stud or a star but a capable starter or main rotation player at NBL level.

Anyways thank you for your efforts DQ, welcome Brock cant wait to see you in a 36ers singlet!

Reply #501114 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Big props to Sixers ownership for making this happen! Motum is a brilliant signing and is a great investment in a team that not only has talent, but leaves it all on the floor every night. Even better if we has indeed signed for next season as well.

As far as lineups go, I would expect Motum to be eased in off the bench. Luke and Peach have been playing well as starters and Motum will need to get used to the NBL and learn the team's offensive and defensive schemes.

Reply #501116 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Excuse my ignorance, but for someone with little knowledge of Motum before the last word c'ships, would this equivalent-ish to the Melb Kickert signing?

Amazing how quickly the optimism around one team changes. Been a great day for the Sixers.

Reply #501119 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Similar as in quality of player.

Reply #501120 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kickert averaged 10 & 4 in the ACB in Spain and Motum averaged 8 & 3 in Italy.

Reply #501122 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I don't think Motum is a superstar by any means, but I think Adelaide's style of play is the best fit for him in the league.

He is excellent at getting into the gaps and creating scores from broken plays. Adelaide aren't afraid to improv, especially in transition, so I'd expect Brock will have some big nights when the 36ers are rolling.

Don't expect Joey to play him at PF much though, he'll use his pace at centre ala Johnson.

Reply #501126 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Kickert didn't almost make the NBA a few weeks ago

Reply #501128 | Report this post

annon  
Years ago

Hold your horses knockers of the Motum. It is not about individual play or stats they have kicked out in other teams, it is all about how he fits with the Sixers. Everyone knows it is the combination of players, the coach and everything else in between, Motum and Sixers is no doubt a great fit as those who have followed him and seen where he plays at his best.

Watch the seats fill with basketball purists and international followers, Motum is top op the list for many in basketball circles and coaches were talking him up after the sino challenge last year withPeach and Gibbo and ever since.

This is a great signing.

Reply #501131 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Motum wouldn't come cheap so I ask the question, why spend now...why not at the beginning of the season?

People told me they didnt have the money, so what has changed?

Dont get me wrong, I am happy with this signing in more ways than one...I just dont understand why the change of heart?

Reply #501133 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Tornado - I don't think there is a change of heart but rather smart business. If the reports are true that it is a 2 year deal then I imagine he will just be getting Montreal's contract and next season will get a DJ/Gibson amount.

Here he will be getting big minutes while in Europe he will get 20 minutes a game which will not really help to develop his game. Also after playing 5-6 years abroad perhaps he wants to enjoy life in Australia.

A win win situation for Motum, the Sixers and the NBL.

Reply #501138 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

DQ was playing injured still think he could add something to an NBL team as a floor spacing 3/4 man.

Motum is a huge upgrade however and can't wait to see how he fits in.

I think for all the people who kicked 6er's management time to back off and let the guys do there best to run the show rather than take pot shots from the cheap seats as I really think they are having a go crack with limited budgets and man hours.

Reply #501139 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sorry I just don't rate Motum, he will not dominate this league. Decent role player who can stretch the D.

Reply #501144 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Tornado, who was available outside of random imports? Luke Nevill? And remember that they thought Montreal may have been enough. The team is 3-2 (lost to the undefeated Taipans and in NZ) with that roster or even less of it than they'd have hoped.

Reply #501145 | Report this post

Grovermister  
Years ago

Isaac,

that game against cairns it was noted by the coaches and those present they were not ready/focussed to play AND Joey even said they were about a month behind where they should have been... look at them now! OMG! watch out the rest of the league...

hope Brock doesnt ruin the momentum/confidence that big red is playing with...

i was sceptical now i am a beleiver

#injoeywetrust

Reply #501147 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

King James...smart business would have been not to go budget in the first place to generate excitement to correlate with membership sales as a starter. And, the 2 year deal would have resulted as Schenschers extensive salary will come off the books next season and it will prevent the new Brisbane team snapping up Brock as the face of their franchise. However, the fact still remains, where is this money that they supposedly didnt have previously coming from as Brock would be on more than DQ was.

Tiger Watcher...I'm not kicking or taking pot shots at 36ers management, more so trying to understand their actions and decisions. Would they have made a move on Montreal if Motum wasn't available for example?

Isaac...there would be a lot of imports out there better than Montreal but they didnt want to spend the money by all reports?! The majority & Joey knew Montreal wouldn't be enough but I think management were hoping he would be. I wouldnt have suggested Nevill as we already have Schenscher and they are very similar players.

Like I said, I'm not bagging them and I am happy with where the team is headed now...would just like to know why now and not at the beginning of the season.

I raised the question at the start of the season and was told they dont have the money and they are already spending the cap due to Gibbos back pay, this team is more expensive than last years...clearly that was all hog wash?!

Reply #501155 | Report this post

brett  
Years ago

Motum is not signed yet at all. Just received confirmation from someone high within the club.

Reply #501156 | Report this post

annon  
Years ago

correct, not signed, just details to work out. Old mate of Teys, Gibbo and Peach team mate at Boomers, coach Joey who is a legend, NBA link to NBL now, play with the rest of this team, so much for him to like. Once the details are worked out the other choice he has here is Australia are not as enticing. Besides he has pocketed a tidy sum this year already and young so time to look forward. Europe not as great as we all think anymore due to political and financial climate. Hold up and wait patiently, it will happen...

Reply #501158 | Report this post

master chief  
Years ago

Motum was just a unique situation. I guess a bit like the Flynn, Young signings recently. Wasn't necessarily related to a desperate.need for change but rather taking an opportunity to significantly boost your team. Doubt they would be actively hunting montreal replacements just yet if Motum was no chance.

Reply #501159 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I can 100% confirm Motums Signing. Montreal was released from the club Friday but agreed on JW request to play yesterday to help team.

Furthermore Motum was also seen out with the team after yesterday win in Glenelg.

Signed sealed delivered, goodbye Montreal.

Reply #501161 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Everyone is saying he is. And Joey tweeted a goodbye to DQ. Montreal is gone, Motum is in.
He might not be 'signed' in a sense that the paperwork hasn't gone through yet. But otherwise, he is.

http://www.adelaide36ers.com/article/id/148udjvnuff1f1kyghryk8m51y

(also this)
4 lines is a bit poor though.

Reply #501162 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Tornado, if a club loses money each year, you can understand their reluctance to keep doing the same or taking risks. Maybe they decided this was less risky and worth digging further below the budget line. Maybe the club thought Joey was getting a bit annoyed at the reduced budget, didn't want to lose him to Brisbane, and figured spending up was justified where they weren't sure before?

Reply #501167 | Report this post

master chief  
Years ago

Simply couldn't turn down the chance. Who.knows where the willingness and cash injection came from ? They got it done.

Reply #501168 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Fair enough Isaac...I can understand those reasons/points. It just doesn't make sense to me when backing up from a Grand Final appearance - especially when the decade prior was very lean.

Reply #501180 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Those reasons are a bit shortsighted though, and skimping on roster spend when you are trying to contend is a slippery slope (it's fine to skimp when you're rebuilding though).

Spending the full cap on a lopsided team that was never going to be a contender under an incompetent coach isn't the same as spending the full cap on a balanced roster under a championship coach. In the former situation, you don't get a return on your investment because no one likes to watch their team lose.

Adelaide, like SE Melbourne, is the heartland of Australian basketball. We need the Sixers doing well on and off the court for the good of the game.

Reply #501185 | Report this post

annon  
Years ago

I'm thinking DQ knew himself that he wasn't quite there and with an ongoing hip flexor issue he would know he was at risk. Full credit to him yesterday giving his all and looking like he was still in it and smiling. What a great guy he must be to know he was gone and carrying himself in and off court that way. Well done DQ. I was impressed to see Joey gave him a fair run as well instead of playing Ritchie so I would think that was enough to show him respect using the old saying 'actions speak louder than words'. DQ would know Brock would be a better option so I imagine it's all good, thanks for the opportunity and watch you in the finals a mutual statement. Sixers and DQ's next SEABL team.

Reply #501199 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Fair enough Isaac...I can understand those reasons/points. It just doesn't make sense to me when backing up from a Grand Final appearance - especially when the decade prior was very lean.
I will cut owners slack on spending because it's a tough thing to be doing, but yeah, there are a lot of things the club could've been doing so that there was the confidence to spend right away. Getting memberships locked in during the GF series, staying in touch with fans during the off-season, etc. That's effort and organisation.

I'm glad this move looks to have been led by the coach and not owners. Look at what's happening in Wollongong if you want an example of how not to have owners get in on recruiting decisions!

Reply #501205 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Adelaide played at a great tempo yesterday.

The concern is however that the offence will just slow right down when Wilson comes back. He just seems to hold onto the ball for too long.

With Gibson, Wilson, Creek, Motum, Teys this team needs to play uptemo

Reply #501207 | Report this post

Grovermister  
Years ago

MACDUB,

you would hope and presume that Wilson being the older statesman that he is and Joey being Joey that that wont be the case...

I hope that Motum coming in doesnt affect Big Red's confidence and momentum that he has atm

Reply #501213 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

It's amazing there are still people bagging the roster after Adelaide started 3-2. The roster, while probably not quite as good as last year, was still a good one as has been shown.

Now they've pounced on a chance that arose and upgraded to look like an excellent roster. Quite simply, for a club who struggle financially and had to overcome a horror losing culture, what they have done with the team the past two years deserves a heap of credit.

Now, if only they can perform so well on the promotion/media/social media side of things they can really make some strides.

Reply #501215 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

paul,

its even more scary when you consider how good they are and yet how much better they could be.

Crawford has been awful.

Take out Crawford and Anthony and put in personnel like Steindl and Ibekwe or Walker and imagine the team they could be.

Reply #501222 | Report this post

annon  
Years ago

MACDUB - Take out Anthony - No Way. Again have you been watching any of the games or just looking at stats..

Reply #501227 | Report this post

Grovermister  
Years ago

agree annon, Anthony any day over ibekwe/walker

Team is solid was missing a DJ replacement now have it in Motum...

Reply #501231 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Anthony was a big factor in the Sixers win without putting up big stats. Him starting was a master stroke by Joey as he curbed Vukonas influence early and kept him off the boards. He is an important piece to this team when he plays his role correctly.

Reply #501235 | Report this post

swish  
Years ago

Th only player yet to show what he can really do for this team is PC. maybe it's just taking him longer to adjust to Joey's liscence to thrill. He's been a great player for a long time. He can shoot the 3, but needs court time. Even the great shooter Dr. Ng needed court time to get his shot going.

Any club watching the dollar could so well to start with a more budget team then see how they go for a while. You have always got the iption to spend extra, maybe a marquee player for last half of the season could see you make the playoffs without spending on a full season salary.

Reply #501240 | Report this post

annon  
Years ago

Yes Grovermister and Tornado, Anthony is the best example oh how stats miss valuable aspects of games, but be sure the been h will be watching all those and collecting their own modified and extended stats such as forcing the pass or an error, or the receiving getting the ball. Anthony Killed it at the World Cup and just like Creek a player that injects a specific element to the game and carries it our with diligence, enthusiasm, guts and all for the team. Motum is now our DJ, slightly different but fills that hole in the roster. Not bothered about the other injuries at the moment, who would be with our core group in tact and Teys proving he should be the starter over Creek (sorry about the injury, but proves a point). Sundays game is being repeated this week on ONEHD/10 early morning so set record if you missed it and watch again for a lesson from Joeys handbook 101 - playing as a team and giving it all for the team.

Reply #501246 | Report this post

Grovermister  
Years ago

yes have set the recorder... 3am i think thurs morning or something stupid like that...

Reply #501248 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Starting line up will be;

Schenscher
Motum
Teys
Gibson
Wilson

I doubt Motum will replace Schensch at C as Schensch has been playing well and Motum is used to playing that PF role.

Reply #501256 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Looks like the signing is now official, on the 36ers website, says he has signed for the rest of this season and next season, very good get by the 36ers.

Welcome Brock cant wait to see you in action!

Reply #501275 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Great signing, can't wait to see him play either. Rhys Martin and Motum into the league, hopefully Fotu soon (cross fingers) lots of talent is always good.

I suspect Motum will come off the bench initially, Adelaide have a good thing going and will give him time to find his place. Plus he will match-up better on the back-up centres than the giants who start like Pledger, Nevill, Burston, Gladness.

Reply #501276 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Motum confirmed:

"Brock is a quality player and quality person he will certainly make us a tougher team." said Joey Wright. "To be 3 and 2 and sitting in second place and then add Brock to the line up, it's a big bonus."
"I'm really looking forward to playing for the 36ers and in the NBL" said Motum "I have a lot of respect for Joey and I'm good mates with Teysy, so I can't wait to suit up on Sunday."

Motum has signed a conditional contract for the balance of this season and the 2015/16 NBL Season.
Well done 36ers.

Reply #501278 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The 36ers should have cut Pietrie not Montreal. Adding Brock and keeping Montreal would be offensively and defensively better.
AP has done nothing all season and is fit.

Montreal makes shots, and did you see the put back he did yesterday?
They should have worked on getting him healthy. Come end of season when teams actually start playing we need scorers and defenders. Sorry AP floats and isn't an athlete like Montreal.

Good move getting Brock, bad move losing Montreal. AP needed to go.

Reply #501281 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Gold!

Reply #501283 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

I dotn think cutting Anthony petrie is ever a good idea. Based on his calf warmer, no he isnt fully fit, hasnt been all season yet. Montreal was not up to standard, and hence neither were the 6ers. How quickly things can change!

Reply #501287 | Report this post

Ano  
Years ago

Cut Petrie? NO way.
Id cut Wilson before I cut Petrie. In fact, I wouldn't even go there.

Reply #501294 | Report this post

Years ago

Anyone who thinks we should drop Petrie, has not watched enough Petrie.

Reply #501295 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Yeah, nah. Peach is probably only behind Gibbo on the list of players we shouldn't cut. He does a lot more than what the stat sheet says he does.

Reply #501303 | Report this post

Wookie  
Years ago

So who after all the abysmal years recently for the 6ers have opened their purse strings?

Reply #501305 | Report this post

peter  
Years ago

From the 36ers website

"Motum has signed a conditional contract for the balance of this season and the 2015/16 NBL Season."

I assume (hope) the "condition" is only an NBA outclause?

Either way, an excellent signing by the club. Well done Joey and 36ers management and welcome to Adelaide Brock!

The most impressive thing is that they acted so quickly and assertively as soon as Brock become available, which has been a perceived recent weakness of the club.

There also seems to be a great & exciting culture building at the club, the team focus and effort on the weekend was amazing. If Brock was still undecided on Sunday, that performance certainly would have helped convince him.

Exciting times ahead

Reply #501306 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Peach is obviously carrying an injury, but cutting him would be a massive mistake

Reply #501307 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I suspect the out clause would be both NBA and Europe like most.

Reply #501309 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

With the speed in which this took place, I'm do wonder if talks between the club and Brock took place much earlier this year when Brock went to the States for Summer league.

Reply #501317 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If we are now penciling in Adelaide as a top 4 lock, and we assume Cairns doesn't fall off the face of the Earth, that leaves only two spots for 4 organisations in particular that have invested heavily in the season and have great expectations: Perth, Melbourne, New Zealand,and Sydney. At least two of those organisations is going to be very disappointed come the end of the season.

(Obviously I'm assuming also that Wollongong is too far back now to have any expectations for this season, and Townsville, while still able to make the finals, didn't set themselves up with the lofty ambitions of the others.)

Reply #501328 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Wookie, what makes you think he cost a lot?

Reply #501332 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Motum is the perfect replacement for DJ. They both have strong offensive games (including a 3-point game), and as Boti said on his site, Motum is better defensively than DJ who sometimes went missing there.

The question I have is does he start in place of Schenscher who in the past few games has hit some good form? Does he start at PF leaving Peach to start on the bench or out of position at SF?

Its a good headache for Joey to have going into the game against Sydney next Sunday. Will be interesting to see how we line up. My gut feeling right now would see our starters as:

Schenscher, Motum, Teys, Gibson, Wilson.

But I could easily be wrong.

Reply #501336 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Given they are facing Childress this week, and Petrie is the best match-up for him, it could be Schenscher, Motum, Petrie, Teys, Gibson.

It's not like Sydney have quick players at the 4 and 5 who could exploit that line-up.

Reply #501337 | Report this post

annon  
Years ago

In Joey we trust...…… mmm … we do.

Reply #501341 | Report this post

Wookie  
Years ago

Cutting an import is never cheap and even if DQ wasn't the highest paid, he would still have to get a fair pay out. Plus what ever Motum would be on and that's not cheap.

Reply #501343 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think you'll find Montreal was cut early enough to avoid a pay-out, and I'm not sure Motum's performances last season would have attracted particularly big offers from Europe.

Reply #501344 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Best of luck to big Brock in the NBL, I still think he has the talent for an NBA team, it just didn't work out this time around.

I hope the 6'ers use him well, he has more strings to his bow that big Schech' especially with that outside shot, also in transition I.think Brock is more athletic.

The NBL defenders tend to block up these bigs, so if Brock can hit his outside shots and play well, the 6'ers will now be a top two team IMHO, that is how much this player could bring to the Adelaide franchise...

Reply #501346 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

And with European offers, unless they're loads of money, he's going to be thinking about Winter in Russia rather than Summer in Australia. On top of that, here he'd have friends on the team, a good coach and no language or cultural issues.

Reply #501370 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

last nite, ninenews; 'sixers now confirm signing brock motum and we'll speak to him tomorrow.'

Reply #501372 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

If any of you are betting types and like punting on futures (and like the Sixers), I'd be getting on the Sixers now, as it appears most bookies are unaware of Brock Motum's signing.

Reply #501375 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Either that or their models don't rate the addition of Brock Motum at all...

Reply #501376 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

That's true Isaac, add to that the NBL season finishes in Feb/March compared to May/June in many top European leagues. So he can pick up a contract somewhere else or go to the D-League and try and get a 10-day NBA contract.

Reply #501378 | Report this post

Ballin Fan  
Years ago

'conditional' could maybe also relate to payments, i.e. as well as an NBA out clause, he could be on a lowish base salary but with bonuses for each playoff game.

I suspect Peach has an issue with his right leg because every time he gets a layup opportunity on the left he ducks through under the basket, and shoots a right handed layup, allowing him to jump off his left leg. Credit to the way he has been able to battle through, but if Motum comes in as is good for big minutes, duty of care means they at least should consider resting Peach and let him get fit.

Reply #501385 | Report this post

Lance_Uppercut  
Years ago

Great for Adelaide and the NBL in general, but I don't really see the benefit for Brock playing the NBL career wise.He's obviously aiming for the NBA as he should be, but I think he would have been better served playing in Europe or even staying in the d-league. He will be on less money in the NBL than if he was to play in europe, lower league quality overall than euroleague means its difficult to asses his talent, he will be playing out of position which is useless for career development as a stretch 4, and despite what some may think there are very few NBA scouting and GM eyes watching the NBL compared to the interest European leagues receive and the esteem which they are held.

Reply #501392 | Report this post

annon  
Years ago

Peach - issue in the man bits now a chronic condition he is managing.

Motum - Chance for NBL championship, time home with Current and ex boomer, NBA player and his best buddy under Joey. Went okay for Ennis and he is almost there. Probably had some advice from prospective coaches at NBA. Europe not the best place for many with pay issues, language, partners and current security issues.

Reply #501396 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Mick, yep, I got the 36ers at $17. Also had them to beat NZ on Sunday.

I did maybe expect too much of Martin returning to the Hawks though and bet for them to finish ahead of Sydney.

Reply #501399 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lance are you guessing all that? Loads of NBL players have drawn notice from NBA recently and got summer league or veterans camp invites. Ennis, Jackson, Flynn, Edwards, Khazzouh, Goulding, Abercrombie, Nevill.

Reply #501405 | Report this post

Phil  
Years ago

yep just got sixers at $15. 1800 back if they win it. i can cover perth/nz/cairns with a few bucks so i get my money back even if sixers dont win it

Reply #501409 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Odds are down to $9 now

Reply #501432 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Great signing by Adelaide.

I'm sad to say I got it totally wrong again where Adelaide are concerned- 2 seasons in a row. They can flat out score, and have a whole bunch of wise NBL veteran heads on the roster. Motum gives them that extra lift, that additional bit of firepower they've been missing.

I'd already made some bets for this season- but have made a very small bet on Adelaide which will cover most of my losses if they get up. And I do think they're a legitimate shot.

You can count Wollongong and Sydney out. Wollongong would need to go 12-8 (at minimum), maybe even 14-6 just to even make the top 4, and Sydney just doesn't have enough talent or inside presence. Their sole win has come against Hawks who were missing Davidson and hadn't yet signed Martin. Townsville I don't think would have the combination of class and consistency required to win two back to back 3 game series.

That leaves Perth, Cairns, NZ, United and Adelaide who could all do it.

Reply #501434 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Hawks started 1-6 last year and came back to cause some trouble. Not sure if they will do it again without changes to the starting lineup, but I'm hoping they will overtake Sydney at least.

Reply #501440 | Report this post

melbcup  
Years ago

Re: Anon post #501281

The 36ers should have cut Pietrie not Montreal. Adding Brock and keeping Montreal would be offensively and defensively better.
AP has done nothing all season and is fit.

Montreal makes shots, and did you see the put back he did yesterday?
They should have worked on getting him healthy. Come end of season when teams actually start playing we need scorers and defenders. Sorry AP floats and isn't an athlete like Montreal.

Good move getting Brock, bad move losing Montreal. AP needed to go.

First off it's Petrie not Pietrie.

Quite obviously Anon you watch basketball on TV in between playing your XBox because if you attended a game you'd see the work that Petrie does off the ball, or if you do attend, just stop ball watching! Its not always about who scores the points.

Reply #501450 | Report this post

melbcup  
Years ago

Re: Mick post #501096

Adelaide now with two Boomers, every other team with zero? Is that right?

Hey Mick just in case you've forgotten Adelaide have 3 Boomers, Gibson, Petrie and now Motum

Petrie played for the Boomers in the Sino Challenge last year and then again in the 2013 FIBA Oceania Championship against New Zealand.

Reply #501451 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Are the 36ers better off with less Wilson and more Teys and Gibbo?

Reply #501453 | Report this post

Wookie  
Years ago

Current I would have thought.

Reply #501454 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think Wortho is more of a Boomer than Motum after two Olympics and two WCs, he missed out this year because the selectors went with youth. But if you are talking only Boomers from the most recent team it is Adelaide 2-0.

Once/if NZ sign Fotu they'll have six internationals with Olympic or WC experience, although only four from the most recent tournament. Adelaide will have four, but only three from 2014.

Reply #501458 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Was talking about current boomers. Wortho wont ever be a boomer again. Otherwise we could include PC as well (also a sixer obviously).

And peach isn't really a bona fide boomer, not in olympics or world cup.

Reply #501464 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Think Joey got it right!

Go Taipans!!

Reply #501466 | Report this post

melbcup  
Years ago

Re: Mick post #501464

Hey Mick check the link, Petrie looks like a Boomer to me!
And yes forgot about PC, now that makes 4 Bombers for the 6ers
http://www.basketball.net.au/ba_player_team/boomers/

Reply #501469 | Report this post

annon  
Years ago

MIck - Peach was invited to be World Cup squad Boomer but declined so he could rest up a long standing injury which is obviously been a good decision.

Reply #501479 | Report this post

annon  
Years ago

MIck - Peach was invited to be World Cup squad Boomer but declined so he could rest up a long standing injury which is obviously been a good decision.

Reply #501480 | Report this post

annon  
Years ago

NBA Schensher - thats a lot of experience on that court...

Reply #501481 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

If you include continental champs then NZ will have seven with Fotu, and Adelaide six with Motum.

Mick, Worthington and Crawford's international career's are hardly comparable. Wortho was a rotation player at four major championships and three qualifiers.

Reply #501493 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We all get to see Motum make his debut with the 36ers in Sydney on Sunday on Ten.

Reply #501547 | Report this post

swish  
Years ago

36ers fans lets bring a coupe of friends along to next home game ( against Melb United) to support Motum in his first home game and welcome him to the Arena.

lets hope his performances live up to the hype.

Reply #501559 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:53 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754