Anonymous
Years ago

Any future stars at Aust Development Camp?

We all know Will White can really play but are there any potential stars amongst the list below ?

(Really only interested in the boys list)

Thanks.

Link: http://www.basketball.net.au/athletes-named-jan-2015-aust-development-camp/

Topic #35816 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Simple answer is no. After Will White the list drops off

Reply #501228 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Huge talent in the women's list... Not as much in the men's.

Montana Farah Seaton
Ella Hellessey
Ezi Magebegor
Anneli Maley
Alexandra Sharp
Jasmine Simmons
Alanna Smith

Reply #501229 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lot of talent isn't even going due to WNBL commitments from the women either, women's program looks good for the future that's for sure.

As for the boys, again a lot are not going to this next camp due to college commitments or already at c of e, so the fact McDowell White is being touted as the best going is probably true for camp but certainly not for who is I. That age group.

Reply #501234 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Under 18 nationals! Some are sure to emerge.

Reply #501241 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sam Froling will be a star of the future - he's going to be a 7footer i suspect. Brother of Harry, and the twins and of course son of Shane & Jenny. Good genes.

Tom Fullarton will be a star too, just not in basketball - look for him to play AFL.

Callum Dalton is a BIG kid, Mark Dalton's son... if he gets his head out of his woohoo he'll be good!

Reply #501247 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What about Hadley,McMullen & Glover. Hadley went to Adidas,McMullen went to U/17 worlds & Glover made the squad for U/17s,still believe White is the standout at this camp,don't know much about the boys from this years 16s nationals

Reply #501250 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There's some seriously talented girls in the 20 and under age bracket.
Just to name a few...

PG Wallace/antoniadou/panousis/tupaea
SG sharp/Seaton/Simmons/horvat
SF Talbot/maley/Brown/k.froling
PF mijovic/smith/a.froling/hellessey
C scherf/Fareo/Collins/magbegor

Reply #501262 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Glover only 15 when he made the final 17s squad of 15, so can probably play a bit as can Hadley.

Reply #501280 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ Anon up there talking about the QLD boys. None are really standouts at all.

Hadley > Glover

Will White is the standout.

A strong women's group.

That's really all you need to know about this camp. It's not a 'best of the best' kind of camp, it looks to be one where coaches are hoping to properly evaluate most of these kids for the first time.

Reply #501282 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I have heard of some even younger girls making it that aren't on this list, not sure if they are adding more or some have dropped out?

Reply #501284 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Seaton and Smith didn't make the last AUS development camp in January this year due to injury and being overseas, that's probably why they are the only older ones there, plus they are not playing WNBL either. So you would expect younger ones making it for first look. But considering how tight the ba budget is that they can only have one more camp before un19 worlds to actually finalise a team you would think they would use the funds to get those athletes at a camp during the year in addition to the one just before worlds.

Reply #501316 | Report this post

Interested  
Years ago

Who are the younger girls that have made it ?

Thanks

Reply #501320 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The u19 Oceania champs line up is most likely.
Straight swaps...

Wallace/tupaea
antoniadou/skinner
Seaton/horvat
Maley/hellessey
Scherf/smith

Most of the front and backcourts are interchangeable... With Wallace, antoniadou and tupaea playing 1 or 2. Seaton, horvat, skinner playing 2 or 3. Maley can play 3 or 4.
Smith and hellessey can play 4 or 5.

I like a starting lineup of:
Wallace
Seaton
Maley
Smith
Scherf

Reply #501323 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The worlds squad will most likely be:

Wallace/tupaea
Seaton/antoniadou/sharp
Maley/brown/k.froling
Smith/a.froling
Scherf/Fareo

Also:
Wallace playing 2
Tupaea playing 2
Antoniadou playing 1
Seaton playing 3
Maley playing 4
Fareo playing 4
Smith playing 5

Reply #501325 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's certainly a very versatile group the women for Oceania and I think depending on who they are playing you may see the starting line up change a little between games.
Though I'd say the core starters would be

Antoniadou 1
Wallace 2
Tupaea or Seaton 3
Smith 4
Sherf 5
If it's a small line up,

If taller then possibly Maley would take the 3 spot

But this is a fairly deep and athletic team and that's without Frolings suiting up.
Don't think the worlds team will change too much, just the addition of Frolings and Sharp in for Skinner or Seaton.

Reply #501326 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tupaea at 3?
Not a chance...
She's a 1 or 2 only.

Antoniadou and Wallace are both 1.5's, meaning they can both play pg or sg, even when there on the court at the same time.

Wallace is a better 1 in my opinion. I think she would be a much better choice to run the offense.
Antoniadou will push the pace... a great backup pg or starting sg.
Both descent outside shooters and both can beat there man off the dribble.

Wallace, antoniadou, maley, smith, scherf.

Reply #501329 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think we get too much comfort from how players perform against weaker opponents. This is where the members of the Tupea fan club come from, as well as people suggesting Maley can play 4 - Maley can really play as she showed in clutch moments at the u17 worlds this year, but not the size to play 4 against genuine opposition.

Has everyone forgotten the long commentaries about Tupea at the u17 worlds already?

Reply #501338 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Apparently tupaea was being worked in the 3 spot at last camp, as she sure as hell showed she's not a strong enough point yet at un17s. So 2 /3 spot for her, she can bring the ball up but can't organise a team. As for Maley she's a rebounding machine, and with the absence of the Frolings Sherf and smith will need some help in that department .
Size wise can't see the Oceania teams being as big as the euro teams so they should be fine.
Wallace plays a better 2 than a 1 in my books, Antoniadou likes to organise, watched her at un18s couple years ago, she was like a general, but either way the whole women's group has considerable talent, with many players able to swing from one position to another, making them very hard for opposition to read
Be good if they showed the games somewhere on the net when tournament is on, they are less than a month away now, anyone know when fixtures are likely to come out.

Reply #501429 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Original post was about the camp, have heard the girl's prodigy from VIC has been added to the camp who has only just turned 14, 6'4" 2 guard who has better court vision than any PG seen in a long time - big wraps.

Reply #501452 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And her name would be???, she would be in the un16 age group then, who does she play for

Reply #501460 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ezi is supposedly 6'4, but definately not a Sg. She's a centre...

Reply #501471 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

and not u16

Reply #501472 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is there any updates on who the young invitees are? I can't see anything on the BA website.

Reply #501759 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

obviously who ever put this bit of info up was fishing ....again!!!

Reply #501761 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:03 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754