some_fulla
Years ago

Isaac Fotu leaves Hawaii, headed to Europe

http://m.hawaiinewsnow.com/hawaiinewsnow/db_350547/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=4ZN2ukjg

Who will pick him up? Breakers would have to be front runners right??
Europe after a strong WC showing?

Topic #35821 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Maybe the Hawks could get him and instantly solve all their problems with another front court player into the mix...

Reply #501366 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does he have an agent, he has a euro passport

Reply #501367 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Breakers have been chasing him since he left as a Development Player and it looks like they finally got their man.
Is Fotu's return coming at the expense of Tai Wesley or Duane Bailey I wonder?

Reply #501368 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Less than a week after head coach Gib Arnold was relieved of his coaching duties, the University of Hawaii men's basketball team has lost a star player.

Sources said forward Isaac Fotu has left the team and plans to return to New Zealand to play professionally.

This comes after Benjy Taylor, the team's interim head coach, said at a press conference last week that Fotu was ineligible to play this season due to a pending NCAA investigation.

Fotu was an all-conference forward for UH last season. He ranked second in the Big West in scoring and led the 'Bows in field goal percentage.

Reply #501369 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

all to do with academic infringements

Reply #501373 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Hearing today that the Breakers will move on cutting Ibekwe to make room for Fotu.

Fotu to pen a 3-4 year deal with a euro/NBA out clause.

Reply #501374 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Massive get for NZ if true. I think Wesley would be the man to go. He is a little small to be an interior player in the NBL and lacks mobility defensively as a PF.

If they've got Fotu the Breakers will have half the first-choice Tall Blacks team on show, seven by the time Jackson gets his citizenship.

Reply #501377 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I guess if Ibekwe is the man to go it must be a case of freeing up money. If they could have Pledger, Ibekwe, Vukona and Fotu it would be one of the best frontlines ever.

Reply #501380 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

paul,

alternaively, they could put Pledger on the injury list and have his salary count towards Fotu's.

This way you can allow Pledger to sit out the rest of the year and have the required surgery, whilst bringing in a fit and healthy Fotu and retaining a nice shot-blocker in Ibekwe.

Reply #501384 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

What happened to Pledger? At one point he was set to take over the NBL, now he just looks bad. Any decent young talent that will have NBA scouts watching the league is a great thing, so this is great news about Fotu.

Reply #501389 | Report this post

Darryl  
Years ago

Massive boost for nz if they can get this done coming just days after sixers get Motum.

Reply #501390 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Pledger has plantar fasciitis or something along those lines. So he's having to be nursed through the season.

Reply #501394 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Isnt that what Gibbo had/has?

Reply #501395 | Report this post

Phil  
Years ago

gee if they cut ibekwe would another team jump on him?

has been very good to watch , and if there is something this league lacks it is rim protectors.

Reply #501398 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

What a week for the NBL, Brock Motum now Fotu. Awesome!

Reply #501400 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not to mention Rhys Martin.

Reply #501404 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

So at the moment we're looking at Cairns leading the race for the title with Brock Motum pushing Adelaide into 2nd favouritism (especially as we didn't get to play any of our games against them with Montreal :C so that's going to be a tough split for Perth to win).

Does adding Fotu to their line-up put NZ into this chase?

Reply #501411 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

No way would I cut Ibekwe. As much as I've like Wesley he's the one who has to go to make way for Fotu unless Pledger can go on injury waiver and get surgery on his foot.
As Paul said it may be a case of try to fit everyone under the cap.

Ideally you would have:

Jackson/Carter
Webster/TeRangi
Abercrombie/Bailey
Vukona/Fotu
Pledger/Ibekwe

Tai Wesley is too small to play C and NZ will get killed inside without a Rim Protector much like last season so Vickerman would be stupid to give up Ibekwe but Fotu is unlikely to sign for Duane Bailey's pay packet.

Reply #501415 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

can only assume the offence was worse than thought, he clearly wasnt going to get reinstated

Reply #501419 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

I think there are some bigger issues there, more particularly academic infringements by the program and its players.

Reply #501420 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

I think it's more likely Pledger will get his foot surgery and Ibekwe & Wesley will stay

Reply #501439 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

http://www.kitv.com/news/Gib-Arnold-speaks-on-abrupt-firing/29451392

Isaac Fotu's former & recently fired Coach at the University of Hawaii speaking out about his abrupt firing.

Reply #501447 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

The following is Fotu's statement in its entirety:

"After much thought and discussions with my family, I have decided to forgo my last 2 years at UH, and pursue a professional basketball career.

This was not an easy decision. I came to Hawaii to play for coach Gib and coach Akana, both were instrumental in me growing as both a person and basketball player. I believe this was going to best season yet.

I’ve turned down opportunities to turned pro every summer because returning to Hawaii was an easy decision, but now, with the program headed in a different direction, I believe it’s time to chase the professional basketball dream, and hopefully help support my family.

In regards to my ineligibility announced last week, which by the way had no bearing on my decision, I have hired an attorney to help clear my name, if and / or when any accusations are released by the NCAA.

I thank all my teammates (brothers) at UH, and mostly the fans of Rainbow Warrior basketball. The people of Hawaii have welcomed me since the day I arrived, and all that aloha made my stay enjoyable. I enjoyed every minute I got to represent the University of Hawaii and I will look back at many wonderful memories.

Aloha oe, until we meet again!"

Isaac Fotu

Reply #501448 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Havent seen Fotu play, but have seen plenty of the Breakers this season. Surely it's gotta be Wesley who makes way. Cos Ibekwe has proved his worth as a rim protector, and with the size going around on the best teams- Perth, Cairns- they wouldn't leave Pledger and his dodgy toe as their sole 5 man.

Reply #501468 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

@NZ_hoops:

As reported earlier in the day here, Isaac Fotu is heading to Europe - confirmed by Radio Sport

Reply #501545 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

yeah just read some similar reports, guess with that British passport he'll find a spot with a decent pay packet.

Reply #501555 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I see Fotu has been loaned to Manresa, the club AJ Ogilvy is playing for in Spain. They are currently 1-7 and in last place so he'll likely get plenty of chances to play.

Reply #504300 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:01 am, Thu 18 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754