fstos
Years ago

How does Gibson's performance last game rate.

Having now watched the game and had time to think a bit more about Gibbos' performance against the Breakers I am struggling to think of a better individual game in recent times.

I would be interested to hear other opinions as it may refresh my aging memory.

How does his game rank say against others in the last few years?

Yes this is more of a stretch but all time?

Think about the calibre of defenders and his shooting percentage as well as the total across the board numbers. Sure there have been plenty of bigger scores but they were mostly from "volume shooters".

Topic #35831 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

It was a good game, and he should be proud.

It's not one of the greats.

Reply #501556 | Report this post

swish  
Years ago

It was a great leaders game. No-one would have given Adelaide much chance - undermanned with both Imports injured and starting Small Forward injured playing against the form team that had whipped us by 21 2 weeks ago.

It's been a long long time since 36ers have had our leader grit his teeth and really lead against the odds. Don't know what inspired it but it was great to see.

Until Motum, Gibbo was the only "real" Boomer actually playing in our league he actually played as if he beleives he is the best Australian in the NBL.

Lets see that more often!

Reply #501558 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

I am not sure where it ranks amongst the great performances. Heck, I am pretty sure Andrew Gaze had entire seasons where he played like that every single game. But it was a great performance. I would say in the top 10 of the past decade somewhere. Easily the best performance from a 36er since Mahersy

Reply #501562 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

It was a genuinely unbelievable game. I think it was made to look awesome by the fact he was knocking down his shots, if he shoots and misses then maybe it goes the other way. I'd like to see him play this aggressive more often, even if it means sometimes he'll miss his shots.

On the effort/defensive side of things, holy crap he was amazing. That was captain worthy stuff. I hope we don't lose him to Brisbane next year.

Reply #501565 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think Chris Goulding's 50 point game from last season probably tops it.

It was a helluva dominant performance by Gibbo though.

Reply #501571 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Yeah Goulding's 50 was better. I would say the 2 are the top 2 NBL performances of the past few years.

Reply #501574 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isaac backed them (Ade) so he gave them a chance.

JR's 10 3 in a finals game in Perth was pretty big.

Ced Jackson getting a triple double in a 40 minute game (I think playing under 30 mins) was nice.

Bubbles 50 pt game seemed to flow so well that I didn't notice he had such an amazing stat line.

What Gibbo did on the weekend was amazing yet NZ still almost got the win.

Reply #501575 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^I think NZ nearly winning emphasises even more how good his game was. With the injuries, he basically had to play out of his skin for Adelaide to win.

As for being an all time great. I think it is one of the greats since the NBL went to the 40 minute games.

Reply #501579 | Report this post

FYI  
Years ago

Missing 2 starters and an import who knew it was his last game.

Gibbo has elevated his play the season, I hope it continues

Reply #501581 | Report this post

Fan-ciful  
Years ago

A very good game from Gibson. Not flawless but very good.

Goulding's 50 was the best individual performance since the 40 minute game that I've seen.

Hopefully Gibson can continue with his form....and Adelaide fans can continue to view the game with 2 eyes :)

Reply #501583 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Not to be a Grinch but Gibson did have 6 turnovers and 15 of his points came from the foul line. It was an awesome game and while we don't expect that every game he certainly has the ability to have great games every game.

Reply #501586 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Getting points at the foul line is a good thing, not a bad thing.

Reply #501589 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

NZ nearly won, because the 6ers were insanely under manned. They played the perfect game and its what had to happen. There was literally no window for a bad spell. How the Breakers were paying as high as $1.58 is beyond me! Gibbo led the way, was a fine game, but not anything over the top crazy. Having said that, with some of the performances we have been blessed to witness at that stadium, its easy to be picky!

Reply #501599 | Report this post

Wookie  
Years ago

Gaze and recent times is an oxymoron.

Reply #501603 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

KingJames, why complain about him getting free throws that had the added benefit of drawing fouls on his opponent?

Reply #501604 | Report this post

Comeandsee  
Years ago

Al Green's 70+ point game, then daylight

Reply #501608 | Report this post

annon  
Years ago

King James, pretty tired I think but still gave it his all, that is inspirational... Can forgive him for a few loose hands..

Reply #501610 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

No doubt he had an awesome game I am just saying the huge amount of free throws with probably close to 10 of them coming because of the other team being over the limit, inflated his scoring stats.

Goulding's 50 point game he had 3 foul shots
Clarke's 39 point game he had 7 foul shots
Ennis's 32 point game he had 11 foul shots
Young's 31 point game he had 9 fouls shots

Gibson 34 points game he had 19 foul shots. Awesome game with the 6 steals, 6 rebounds and 9 assist but his points were inflated by the foul shots.

Reply #501613 | Report this post

Darryl  
Years ago

Just by adding his 6 steals, 9 assists and 6 rebounds onto his 34 points it's quite clear he had a great all round game. It's rare he even gets 20pts so full credit to him.

Reply #501620 | Report this post

shin splints  
Years ago

Why is everyone so hung up on the amount of points Gibbo scored?
It was more about the overall hustle and complete game at both ends of the floor. Its as though he almost willed Adelaide across the line.

The passing, the leadership, the defence. Not just gunning away and scoring 50.

Reply #501632 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

"Why is everyone so hung up on the amount of points Gibbo scored?"

because we are comparing it with the best games ever so we have to nitpick to work out how it compares.

Reply #501639 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

King James...getting to the foul line is a good thing, I'm not sure where you are going with your comparisons?

Getting to the foul line that much means Gibbo was attacking the defense and beating them, hence why they fouled him because they got out of position. Had they not fouled him he likely would have had more points for the game (I'm sure he didnt hit every free throw) as he coasted to the basket for an easy lay up.

In Gouldings 50 point game...what other stats did he have and was his shooting % decent?

I think if you analyse everything a little more closely you may find that Gibbos performance may have been better...for example, he scored 34 points, dished 9 assists...contributing to another 18 (at least) points, 6 steals...potentially preventing at least 12 points etc etc...

Reply #501652 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

He had 50 points, 6 rebounds, 1 assist, 3 turnovers. 11/19, 9/14, 1/3.

They're definitely comparable. The sheer weight of numbers with Goulding's game and the fact he earnt them all himself says that Goulding's 50 is pretty out of this world. You could argue that Gibbo was handed quite a few free throws from NZ playing foul tactics, had 8 in the last 1:33, 14 throughout the match when they were in the bonus.

Gibson definitely had a better all-round game. Everyone was frothing about Martin's 9 steals, 9 rebounds and 8 assists the other week, and rightly so. But Gibbo scored 32 more points than he did with relatively close other stats.

Just an interesting one, on DT points, Goulding had 84, Gibson had 94, Martin had 64 (kind of ridiculous for 2 points). I found a 116 from Anstey. 36 points, 16 rebounds, 6 assists, 6 blocks and a steal! There's a 92 from Hodge. He had 31 points, 14 rebounds 9 assists and 1 block and a steal. That's the best off the top of my head. But I didn't search too hard.
I can't go back enough to get Gaze and the like. Also, Anstey's and maybe? Hodge's were 48 min games.

Reply #501664 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

"Al Green's 70+ point game, then daylight"
If we're judging solely on points, Reg Biddings getting 63 in a 40-minute game with no three-point line beats it.

Reply #501667 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:12 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754