bball4all
Years ago

Big V Youth League 2015

Haven't heard much about many youth teams being entered/moving up and down in 2015.
Any news on that front?

Heard Southern Pen won't have a youth men, Keysborough going to D1 & McKinnon to YCM? but that's about all so far.

Topic #35833 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Coburg to YL1 Mens
Warnambool into YL2 Mens
Chelsea into YL2 womens
Mornington into YL2 Womens
Hawthorn Women into SYCW

Reply #501624 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Supercats will have men and women in YLC, also Stingrays will have YL but not sure of the divisions...

Reply #501626 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

Supercats are down in Ylm1 with Ballarat, Mckinnon and Keilor are up.

Reply #501824 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Really, I didn't realise, shame as their team will be stronger than last year, yet on their web site they are getting ready for Championship, maybe they should have a play off between McKinnon or Keilor?

Reply #501853 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@ Bear, do tell. How can they be stronger ? . looked at Supercats page and I can not find a mention of the Team.

Reply #501858 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They have not listed it yet.

Reply #501877 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

The full competition structure is out, emailed with the AGM agenda.

Reply #501884 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mildura into youth 2 men

Reply #503385 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Great for Mildura, some frequent flyer points will be floating around next season!

Reply #503393 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Supercats elected to be dropped. Big fish in a little pond!

Reply #503399 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Or did they get relegated to D1 along with ballarat after ending up last in Champs last season? I don't think you get an option to stay in YLC these days.

Reply #503411 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So, can we confirm that the YL is promotion and relegation, if so looking at last season results in the mens we would have top placed YL2 sides Keyborough and Coburg into YL1 while Western Port would drop down to YL2. If anon #624 is correct and Warrnambool come into YL2 it adds another team to that Div?

If Mildura come into YL2 next year that adds a further team, making it 12 teams, so what are the caps for these YL divisions?

YLC is divided into 2 groups of 8 teams each, will they stay at 16 or could they also change?

Reply #503416 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If a team fails to win atleast 20% of their games the league can relegate that team. they could obviously put a case forward for new players coming in or key people being out with injury. This is the same for all divisons.

for the fiorst two seasons of Vic youth championship thei was no promotion or relagation. this has now finished, as you will see below there are some new team in an some out.

Mens

VYC Terril
-Dandenong
-Eltham
-Knox
-Mckinnon (promotion champion)
-Melbourne
-Nunnawading
-Ringwood
-Sherbrooke

VYC Watson
-Bulleen
-Diamond Valley
-Frankston
-Keilor (promotion application)
-Hawthorn
-Kilsyth
-Sandringham
-Waverley

YL1M
-Altona
-Ballarat (Relegated)
-Bendigo
-Blackburn
-Camberwell
-Coburg (promotion application)
-Geelong (relegated)
-Hume City
-Keysborough (promotion champion)
-Sunbury
-Werribee
-Whittlesea

Yl2M
-Chelsea
-Casey
-Corio Bay
-Craigieburn
-Maccabi (New Team)
-Melton
-Mildura (New Team)
-Mornington
-Warrandyte
-Warnambool (New Team)
-Westernport (Relegated)

Womens

VYC Terril
-Bulleen
-Diamond Valley
-Frankston
-Geelong
-Hawthorn (Promoted Champion)
-Knox
-Nunnawadding
-Sandringham

VYC Watson
-Ballarat
-Bendigo
-Dandenong
-Eltham
-Kilsyth
-Melboure
-Ringwood
-Waverley

YLW
-Altona
-Coburg
-Corio Bay
-Craigieburn
-Hume City (Relegated)
-Mckinnon
-Warrandyte
-Werribee

YL2
Blackburn
Camberwell
Chelsea (New Team)
Keilor
Mornington (New Team)
Sherbrooke (New Team)
Southern Pen
Sunbury
Whittlesea

Reply #503438 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well done anon^, nice to be able to view a list all in one like this. I vote that YLM2 teams start thinking about post game dinners especially for Mildura games, surely no one will be going home early after those!

Promotion-relegation seems to be the best system, does it not?

Reply #503445 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon#399 obviously has an axe to grind.

Reply #503446 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Youth League Teams are probably always going to remain (except for the bigger seabl clubs) the most inconsistant sides. As the youth team develops better players they will either head into a senior side or perhaps to college. The scope to move up and down if needed is good.

Reply #503447 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Agree, and six new teams added is also great to see. Some people may not know that not every team is coached to win, some are very much about development. Players come and go from these teams more than any other divisions in Big V, it makes YL very unpredictable indeed.

Yappa, if you are reading, there is probably room for a whole new online TV show, just for YL mate?!!

Reply #503448 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Youth League is about developing and maing your senior team successful, If along the way you can put that youth side in a position to win a title then that is great.

Reply #503574 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Where is Maccabi?

Reply #504477 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Keysborough will be lucky to get 2 wins together in that league and with the lack of talent there this year.

Reply #504482 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Surely when Mildura play either Warrnambool or Western Port they will charter a flight? That is some round trip, Road Trip anyone?.

Reply #504749 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maccabi play out of Bialik Stadium in Hawthorn East. The YL2 side is to be coached by Al Westover in 2015.

Reply #504757 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks anon^, so they are a Hawthorn neighbouring Association?

Reply #504976 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maccabi Don`t have junior sides due to the Sabbath and being Jewish backed. You will find a lot of the jewish kids that are not fully orthodo will be playing at Hawthorn in VJBL.

Reply #504981 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

God save us from religion!

Reply #504991 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Most of their Junior Boys teams play at Waverley.

Reply #505009 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Any other news about teams in Youth 2 Men?

Reply #509770 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Any practice games happening lately?

Reply #517093 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Corio Bay YL2 had a prac v Geelong YL1 on Sunday in the heat box affectionately known as the old chook shed.

Reply #517120 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

What was the result above in the "chook Shed"

Reply #517143 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not sure of the score exactly, I think G scored around 60+ and CB about 40 or so. CB men took it to them early but couldn't go with G down the stretch. Hard fought contest, for a prac game apparently.

Reply #517172 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hey Bear what happened to the Supercats they are one loss from being the wooden spoon winners in YL1

Reply #537886 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Youth League One Men

TEAM P W L Last5 PCWon

Blackburn 22 20 2 WWWWW 90.91
Whittlesea 22 16 6 LWWWW 72.73
Sunbury 22 15 7 LWWWL 68.18
Altona 22 14 8 WLLWW 63.64
Coburg 22 14 8 WLWLW 63.64
Camberwell 22 11 11 LWWWW 50.00
Werribee 22 11 11 WWLLW 50.00
Bendigo 22 11 11 LWLLW 50.00
Hume City 22 6 16 LLLLL 27.27
Geelong 22 5 17 LWLLL 22.73
Ballarat 22 5 17 LLLWL 22.73
Keysborough 22 4 18 WLLLL 18.18

Reply #537894 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Yes anon^ it was a tough season for them, both coaches away at u16 nationals meant continuity was an issue, early season losses after leading in the last quarter meant always chasing wins, short lapses in concentration and some difficulty in retaining possession of the ball cost the team wins.

Five wins, but competative in almost all their games, that's the way it goes sometimes.

Everyone will be hoping for a more settled team next season. They are in the right division and I predict will improve.

Reply #537895 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A settled stable team goes a long way towards a successful season in Youth league.

Reply #537899 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Youth league is a great league for development but there can be a huge gap between age groups with most teams. Those teams with lots of players in their 20's who have been there a couple of years will tend to dominate. Some programs are hurt more than others when they lose their college kids or their best players because they can't cover these losses. Depth of talent and keeping a team together is the hardest thing coaches have to deal with. Difficult to coach youth league but can also be very rewarding. I like the structure of youth league and no Friday nights is awesome.

Reply #537903 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Victorian Youth Championship Men

TEAM P W L Last5 PCWon

Dandenong 22 20 2 WLWWW 90.91
Kilsyth 22 19 3 WWLWW 86.36
Knox 22 17 5 WWWLW 77.27
Hawthorn 22 15 7 WLWWL 68.18
Bulleen 22 15 7 WWLWW 68.18
Eltham 22 13 9 LWWLL 59.09
Ringwood 22 12 10 WLWLL 54.55
Sandringham 22 11 11 LLWWW 50.00
Nunawading 22 10 12 LLLLL 45.45
Keilor 22 9 13 LWWLW 40.91
Sherbrooke 22 8 14 WWWWL 36.36
McKinnon 22 8 14 LWWLW 36.36
Melbourne 22 8 14 LWWLL 36.36
Diamond Valley 22 7 15 LLLLL 31.82
Waverley 22 4 18 LLLLW 18.18
Frankston 14 0 14 LLLLL 0.00

Reply #537908 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why is there 16 teams in champs YL men and only 12 in youth league D1? Surely Waverley and Frankston could just go down to make it 14 teams in each Division, just don't get it! They obviously struggled in champs this season and no I don't have an axe to grind only looking at the table above it would make sense.

Reply #537910 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bear I checked out Geelong U20s and U18s both not having great season's U20's very disappointing. I hope the club can get Youth League right next season in both Men and Women . How do they get this so wrong when Big V Division 1 and Seable are so strong. Please dont play the College card as all clubs in the same position.

Reply #537918 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Blackburn YL men would finish top 4 in VYCM. They are loaded with talent. They have been building this team over the past 3 seasons with strong disciplined coaching. This season is bearing fruit of the labor of the enormous work put in to the team over this time.

Keep an eye on this group for the future.

Reply #537923 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@918 Lack of internal development in Juniors I am hearing.

Reply #537926 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Anon #918, not sure what it is you are asking as SEABL or D1 Men have no influence on the youth league or juniors at any club I imagine. If they do, I would like to know how this is the case...?

I haven't seen much of the 20's men team, so can't comment but the 18's have had a few issues to get over, injury and players missing due to State and National committments has played it's hand.

There will be a few going up to Youth League level and in coming years there may be a few more, but some clubs seem to keep kids interested longer than others I am guessing.

Once a kid gets to that 18 year old bracket, all of a sudden there is a car, girl, job, mates going out, footy and a number of other distractions that come along with one independance.

Some clubs lose kids, some keep them, some kids can still focus on basketball but others like to party, what can I say other than that's life...

Reply #537938 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

I don't know why this is the case but the league has been getting this stuff wrong for a few years now. Too many teams at different levels. The base should be widest as you are sort of saying.

Bear

Any Geelong age eligible kids at College? I know they have a girl at the COE, which is obviously proof of a lack of internal development of juniors. Someone else told me Geelong had a lost a quality junior boy to football recently.

Reply #537945 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Yes HO, if you are referring to a junior who was a guard at 18 Nationals, yes he is a Falcon now and we wish him all the best, hope he gets drafted.

I am also ware of two girls going back to USA college this coming season and another one will reamin at CoE for at least another year or two before she is elligible.

We have two males going to USA this season, one to Hartford and one to New Haven, both have full 4 year scholarships ahead of them and we expect some more to follow in coming seasons (men and women).

We are not talking Jucco's here, we have had a couple of players return from them recently, not going back I don't think...

Reply #537946 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Some also lay claim to a player going back for his second year at St Mary's, but his family is from Melbourne even though he was developed here at Geelong in his later teenage years it was mainly because he was at high school here.

Reply #537947 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I am anon ^^^ seriously Bear and HO I am talking in very recent times.
Yes some great players out of Geelong no denying it, the question was about Youth League , what has gone wrong to slip down to YLM1 and still be failing.

Again some great kids coming out of Geelong over the years. Vic Country coaches has also contributed to this.

Do not shoot the messenger, only asking why?

Reply #537950 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Anon if you are asking specifics, without naming players I am aware of some very talented (talking State and National level) kids who would now be youth league age that the program has lost in the past year or two.

One injured his ACL, twice, easily a SEABL level guard only still 19 but not playing, another is a pass first guard, went to Queensland last year maybe we get him back, not sure. Another quality pair of scoring guards went to football, these four would all have been selected ahead of our current guard rotation, that makes a huge difference.

That's as far as I will go on here in the specifics, every club has losses and gains, we have had the losses but not the equal quality in gains this season, it should change is what I am saying, cheers...

Reply #537953 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks for you candid honesty Bear. Well lets hope next season is settled and more successful for both the women and the mens. I will watch with interest the appointments of coaches and team selection next season. Cheers

Reply #537958 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

it just looked like a snide comment Anon. I don't know much about the program but from time to time programs are affected by a rash of departures, injuries, college etc. I knew they had a girl at COE recently so forgive my facetiousness about what you have been told. From what I have seen Geelong continue to have good representation in state teams and the like.

But clubs also go through periods where there top program is successful and their reserves etc are less so. A great club with a consistent senior side or sides only really wants maybe one graduating junior a year anyway seeing the top team player often have 5-7 year careers.

Reply #537961 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Please do anon^, forums are not always the best place to divulge everything you know about a club, I also hope things settle down for our young group.

It has been a difficult couple of years since the new youth league format, but I also like the structure of youth league as it stands.

I do agree with HO, there is to many teams in chanmpionship, but I am sure that will work itself out down the track too...

Reply #537963 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:52 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754