Jack Toft
Years ago

R5: Hawks v Kings

A lot of interest in the game for Sixers fans. Player wise, lots of former players suiting for both teams so at times could look like a training scrimmage. Childress is back for the Kings and will be out to make his point so with the Kings playing the Sixers on Sunday, will they run out of steam after going too hard tonight?

The Hawks are bottom, but have not looked like a bottom side. A loss tonight and you would think they are just playing for draft picks for next season.

I'm going for the Hawks to finally get the success they deserve.

Topic #35839 | Report this topic

LC  
Years ago

I too think the Hawks can earn the win in this one, even with a fired up Childress returning from suspension. Should be an interesting game to watch in any case as the intensity is sure to be very high.

Odds: Hawks - $1.67, Kings – $2.10

I reckon the Hawks by 1 in a thriller.

Preview: King's welcome back Childress in must-win game in the 'Gong’

Reply #501714 | Report this post

Darryl  
Years ago

A toughie I think Sydney will win by 5.

Reply #501720 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kings by 10.

Reply #501733 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think the Kings showed quite a bit last week without their best player, whereas Wollongong looked to be falling apart. I'm going with Sydney on that basis and Childress to slice through the Hawks zone, their defence was really disappointing last week.

Reply #501777 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Think this will be Ervin's last game.

One of the imports has to go and Carson has been putting up nice numbers.

Ervin playing horrible tonight.

Would love to see Tiggs back. I really liked him and he knows the systems.

Carson
Martin
Tiggs
Forman
Davidson

Reply #501780 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Time for a crisis meeting at the Hawks if they haven't already done that. Go back to the formula that worked in the past and build from that. Scorers at the distributing positions isn't working.

Reply #501782 | Report this post

Wookie  
Years ago

Gordie now under the pump. Many suggested not. Wrong. Gruber now out of a job. Terrible.

Reply #501784 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

It was a bit farcical watching the Hawks get murdered on the boards and they had Martin, Carson and Ervin on the courr at the same time. 5"9, 5"9 and 6"1.

The offloading of Gruber was not only out of tune with the cultural fabric of the club, but it has left the roster terribly unbalanced.

Reply #501786 | Report this post

AussiePride  
Years ago

Sorry to Harp On but if your team has Kevin White shooting 3s during a game you are going nowhere.

Sydney got the win but prove they are not going to win any tough clashes with a ridiculous game plan that has not been thought through.

Talent will only get you so far so when you go to a bench you have to use it as efficiently as possible. Having a green light for a guy 7-9 in the rotation who has had a poor record from deep for his whole career is just plain crazy! Use his strengths and park his weaknesses.

Make sure the shots you take are a high percentage chance to get made.

Reply #501789 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Carson needs to go not Ervin. Carson is tooo small, has no urgency about him and probably can't spell defence because he certainly has NO idea how to play it. He is hampering Gary and the rest. He is awful.As for the big guy - OMG, please do some catching practice. Tyson deserves double the money he is on. Yes he might struggle offensively but so does our supposed marquee player - Tyson epitomises what it means to play for the Hawks. And please don't get started on the coach -he gives them the tools and systems, if they have no leader on court to run them then his systems won't work.

Reply #501795 | Report this post

Wookie  
Years ago

Neville. 8 rbs, 8 points. crap.

Reply #501796 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

You know this Hawks team is in the doldrums when only 2,475 show up for a home game against the Kings who have an ex-NBA player on their roster.

The Hawks are in crisis at this stage. Fourth last year, Gordie the Coach of the Year. So far this year they couldn't win a rigged chook raffle at the local pub.

Reply #501798 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

The attendance looks bigger than 2,475 on the TV (capacity at WIN is 6k), though it wouldn't surprise me if most punters were directed to the lower bowl seats to make it look better for the camera's.

Haven't seen many shots but I'd imagine the upper concourse seats are fairly empty.

Reply #501800 | Report this post

Den  
Years ago

Gordie needs to go!!!!!

Reply #501801 | Report this post

Tim Duncan  
Years ago

Didn't feel like a Wollongong performance - very little intensity from the Hawks. Sydney could have won by 40 if they'd shot well.

Perry was much better and Brandt is finding some confidence.

Reply #501802 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Hawks were woeful. They don't look like a Gordie coached team.

Reply #501804 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Kings scored 22 points from turnovers and 19 second chance points. The Hawks scored 4 and 6.....

Josh Childress led all rebounders with 13. Luke Nevill was next best with 8.

Nevill Tyson Demos were the only Hawks with an EFF in double figures (both with 10). Sydney had 4 players, 3 of them in the 20's.

Hawks only shot 17% from 3-point land. Ervin was the worst offender hitting 1-6. The Kings shot 24% from outside.

5 points and 4 rebounds in 19:14 for Balls. Is time catching up to him, or are the Hawks playing that badly that he just can't get into a game? First time in a while I haven't seen him put up a 3-pointer in a game.

A dirty night for Larry Davidson. 0 points (0-3) and 2 rebounds in 18:03 on the court.

The Kings hit 17-19 (89%) from the FT line. The Hawks shot 10-11 (91%).

3 Kings (Perry (23), Childress (18) & Brandt (15)) scored more individual points than the best Hawk (Carson - 12).

Former 36er Kyle Adnam scored 2 points (2-2 FT's) in 1:37 for Wollongong.

I wonder if Gary Ervin wishes he was still running the point for the 36ers right about now? 7 points (3-14 @ 21%), 3 rebounds, 2 assists and 2 turn overs in 25:50. According to the stats its a -2 for the game.

Reply #501805 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

The Hawks play this season providing further justification of Rotnei's selection as league MVP last year.

Reply #501806 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Whoever decided to get rid of gruber needs to go. Dumb. That guy was all heart

Reply #501808 | Report this post

Nike Al  
Years ago

Ervin needs to go not Carson plus the hawks needed to use Neville they don't give him the ball enough down low especially when Ervin who is ment to be a great point guard and gets into the key as much as he does he should be looking for him especially against the kings who the centres are not in Nevilles class. Carson is a great player but is not a 2 guard as where they are playing him

Reply #501817 | Report this post

Gman  
Years ago

Carson looks like the problem to me, over dribbles , teams are leaving him open for the three and he can't shoot. Does not run offence or know where his team mates are , so he is the only player who gets a shot with him out there. Ervin knows how to play pro ball. Right now defences hang back blocking the entry passes to the bigs, can't win with Carson.

Reply #501822 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Expect major changes this week in the Hawks camp starting with one or both imports getting the sack then a very direct discussion between Geordie and the hawks owners and players having a crisis meeting despite no team leader.

The performance against the kings was disgraceful and for the first time lacked aggression, intensity and pride. I can only assume the loyal dedicated fans and sponsors were scratching their heads wondering what the hell in going on with our team.

Sadly I thinks its time for a fresh new voice to lead the team and restore much needed respect, confidence and a chance to move up the nbl ladder. Rob Beveridge would be the perfect coach for the job.

Lets see if the Hawks owners have the balls to make changes like Mel Ute.

Reply #501826 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Hawks look un-Hawk-like right now.

Kings confine Hawks, edge closer to top-four

Perry starting to find his feet in this league which is a good sign for Sydney.

Reply #501827 | Report this post

Wookie  
Years ago

Sack Gruber, and now an import. Maybe sack the coach may be a better solution unfortunately.

Reply #501828 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

501826 Agree totally.Theres no passion coming from the coach down and there is a lack of leadership. I would be very worried if i was both imports.Letting Gruber go was a very poor call as he was the heart and soul of that group.There spirit went with him.

Reply #501829 | Report this post

Wookie  
Years ago

The local paper in the Gong savages the hawks.
"Clueless might be too harsh a description"
"Wollongong have lost eight straight - one of the longest losing streaks in the club's 35-year history - and need a miracle to turn their season around."
"Based on their inept performance against Sydney, losses will continue to pile up."

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/2682259/hawks-cop-humiliating-drubbing-against-kings/?cs=302

Reply #501830 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

The coach isn't the problem, when he has been calling the shots the Hawks have been successful. All of a sudden he isn't calling the shots and they're 1-8.

Reply #501833 | Report this post

Ganymede 86  
Years ago

Too late to sack imports - may as well save money now

Reply #501834 | Report this post

Darryl  
Years ago

When Demos is your second best scorer with 8 pts you know you're in trouble.

Reply #501836 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It did look like Gordie was tired. He's a very good coach but starting to look like they might need to hear a new voice.

Reply #501844 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Players have to take some responsibility though. Can't all be on Gordie.

Ervin's performance was horrible end of.

If you want to put blame on anyone for the Gruber incident blame the new owner. He seems to be exerting a lot of control over personnel decisions.

I don't believe Gordie would ever want Gruber to be cut.

Reply #501849 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

A good question might be what is Gordie tired of?

Reply #501852 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

Hawks and Kings both have terrible rosters. I know the FTA TV schedule is set in stone but it's a disgrace this game was showed instead of Taipans vs Breakers.

Reply #501854 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Not sure what is more annoying... someone who would have a SW nick and not spell it properly, or the constant misspelling of Nevill...

Anyways...

Gordie can only do so much... The new owner is playing fantasy basketball with his very own live team... Apparently made choices on at least one of the imports, and Nevill and cutting Gruber as well... All this really looks like it has demoralised the team, which is a key factor in where effort comes from... As a Kings fan I have no love for the Hawks and while I did take some joy over seeing them fall over last night, I've always still sort of respected their effort and fighting ability... That just wasn't there last night...

The Hawks didn't do themselves any favours, but that's not to take away from the bright spots from the Kings... A confidence game for Perry against lesser competition will hopefully do him the world of good, Childress while not shooting well, showed what he was capable of when he puts his mind to it, plus a great game for Brandt which will hopefully get him on the right foot for some much tougher competition in Petrie and Motum... Will be good to see him go up against these two, the latter his Boomers Sino teammate, hopefully it's a good match up...

Reply #501860 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ervin is not the point guard he was 2 years ago but still could provide the leadership with Martin at the point if he doesn't try to force it

The real issue is Carson - can't defend and isn't a knock down shooter most of his scoring has come in late in games when it's already over - so he needs to go ...
In favour for legit sf who can play some defence on the perimeter and knock down a 3 ball - there is a few good players recently cut from nba teams that could fill the void
Shane Edwards or Carrick felix would be worth taking a look at for example

Neville isn't going to give you any more than 10pts and 8 rebounds and I'm okay with him and Davidson doing what they do but goodies offence is built around mobile players and not post up big men

Foreman is done and hasn't hit any shots this season

I suspect another loss will result in massive changes aka Townsville a year ago after losing 8 in a row

Reply #501861 | Report this post

Wookie  
Years ago

So the man who is investing his money as the owner is decision making, can't he do that?
If it means coaches and or players walk so be it. Maybe Brisbane and Tassie need to be talking to Gordie now ;)
Gruber and Gordie. Hmmmm.

Reply #501862 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

I know he hap a hip injury but I honestly think that the Hawks could do a lot worse than to pick up DQ. I mean being realistic, he'd still be a 36er if not for us signing Brock Motum. But who to cut to bring him in?

I can't see Ervin being cut. He's a former league MVP and last year was generally a standout for the 36ers who played in the GF series. I just think he had a bad night last night.

Nor can I see Luke Nevill getting the boot. He's a former Boomer (so at the very least he's no mug), and is 7'2" tall, the tallest in the NBL just shading Schenscher by an inch. I just don't think they are playing at his strengths right now. Agreed that he's not going to put up the same numbers as what our Luke does, but he's still a very valuable player and I think cutting Nevill would be a backwards step for Gordie and his team.

Something needs to change though or the Hawks are going to continue to have a very tough season.

Reply #501871 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

It may be time they started growing Stacker beards.

Reply #501873 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Get rid of Carson - end of. And with regards to sacking Gordie - what half decent professional coach is going to replace him, only to be told how to run his team?? I don't think so.

Reply #501874 | Report this post

Wookie  
Years ago

Hawks have a shit season and the crowds will walk if not already walking.

Reply #501876 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Wollongong haven't been playing a bad game, but last night they brought a pointed stick, actually a blunt stick, to a gun fight.

The team does look unbalanced and that may be the key. Cutting Gruber got the Illawarra Mercury fired up (let's face it, they are the Media Watch favourite)

Maybe having two import guards has stuffed the mix up.

Their starting 5 last night: Irvin; Carson; Hill; Forman; Nevill. Coennraad normally starts so whether him missing has stuffed up the mix as well.

If there's going to be a shuffling of deck chairs, you would expect Nevill to stay. As HoldenV8 notes, he's a Boomer and the tallest dude in the NBL. That has to be something. The deficiency is in scoring.

Irvin (14.1 ppg @ 40.7%) & Carson (18.5 @ 45.2%) are the leading scorers, but it drops away after that. Martin (6.5 ppg @ 30.8%) and Demos (1 ppg @ 13%) round out the guards, then Forman (9.3) and Hill (5.9) are the 3 men. Coennraad (8.8), Ballinger (6.6) and Davidson (4.6). Nevill (8.3).

Cutting the leading scorer in Carson would be risky. Cutting Irvin the same, but if they are similar styles, then you would think one should go. You wouldn't cut Forman or Coennraad, so if there is a sacrifice to be placed on the basketball alter, it would have to be Hill, Ballinger, Davidson, or Demos. Demos is the obvious one, but if his role is to give the imports a rest, then he might be doing his job.

Time to go into the room of mirrors naked for a good hard look. Maybe its the rotations that need to be tweaked

Reply #501879 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The issue is not whom to cut - it is simple, Carson has to go. The team will go back to playing as acteam once again.Ervin can and will lead the team - geez, lets cut Demos coz he doesnt score big but makes other star players work really hard all night every night.Is it in the star imports contracts that they don't have to play defence and continually flop?? I don't think so.

Reply #501880 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who the hell is Irvin? He played for the 36ers all last season and you didn't workout how to spell his name?

Reply #501881 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If there is any truth to Hawks owner making the decision to sack Gruber and sign Novell that is a clear sign he has lost confidence and respect for Gordie as the coach which could only mean one thing at the end of the season..if he last that long.

Reply #501882 | Report this post

Harry Hackrein  
Years ago

Make an offer to Gordie right now. Sacked he may be but walk into a new franchise where ever that may be.

Reply #501887 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My impression is that Ervin spends most of the game complaining that his teammates did something wrong. Maybe it's leadership. Seems demoralising.

Reply #501892 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Carson can't shoot and doesn't even try to defend. He over dribbles and pads his stats in the 4th quarter when the game is over. Has he had a real dunk yet?

Reply #501898 | Report this post

Harry Hackrein  
Years ago

Wow the guys a bust cos he cant dunk!!!

Reply #501903 | Report this post

Gman  
Years ago

They just need to be clear on who the leader on the floor is, Martin, Ervin and Davidson should be the guys directing this team. Cutting Gordie would be a step backwards, and would only demoralise the team further. Go and find Rotnei and get him back, balance out the bigs with a top quality shooter. They can turn this around.

Reply #501912 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Bring in a SG who can shoot and defend in place of Carson and things might start to look better quickly, because if they don't start defending it will continue to look ugly.

Having said that, if someone who doesn't know basketball keeps making the decisions it's hard to see morale improving. The past three games the Hawks couldn't really be accused of trying too hard.

Reply #501913 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

For me Ervin is the problem.

Anon's scathing attack of Carson is harsh for a guy putting up 18.2 ppg.

Ervin's been good but he has been found out in the league now.

I don't know what you've been watching but Carson is an elite PG defender.

Sure he can't defend SGs but neither can Ervin so what is your point?

Reply #501920 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

so funny the people blaming the owner, guess he is the one shooting 30% on court and also the one incapable of getting the guys set in even half decent plays, oh and of course not to mention his total lack lustre defence

hahahaha

Reply #501988 | Report this post

Anon1980  
Years ago

it's really clear now that Rotnei saved Gordie's ass last season

no-one yet is saving his ass this year, carson looks like he could but if only he can play the first 3 like he plays the last quarter

Reply #501989 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Carson an elite defender? That's the funniest post I've read on hoops in about 6 years.

Reply #502010 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There's two players that don't fit the Hawks system. It's obvious who they are.

And anyone that says Jahii is an elite defender is a moron and anything they say, ever, will be disregarded.

Jahii can put up some numbers but whoever he's "defending" is putting up just as much at the other end.

Reply #502011 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think Macdub has outed himself as Carson's agent!

Reply #502013 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You don't cut a former league MVP instead of a rookie that plays no D and can't shoot. If that happens someone really has lost the plot.

Reply #502014 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They need to replace Carson with a good athletic, versatile sg/sf imo.

Ervin is a NBL star, former MVP, Geordie is a great coach, sacking either is crazy

Reply #502031 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Oscar Forman is clearly overrated just the one good game so far.
I think Ervin needs to go.

Reply #502033 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Ervin is a former MVP but that counts for nothing now.

Reply #502035 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

just last season Ervin was a key player in a grand final team, not someone id be letting go in a hurry, i also rate him over Carson anyway, you just cant have 2 import PG's who play the same way and are both undersized and expect to be successful imo.

Reply #502039 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Carson over Ervin.

Reply #502041 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

it's really clear now that Rotnei saved Gordie's ass last season

Of course he did, he got the whole team out of hot water so many times it's not funny, just like Bubbles did for the Tiggers... That doesn't mean that Gordie isn't a great coach, just that the entire team has to step up, not just the one player all the time... The difference now is the chemistry is out of whack (thanks to the owner causing trouble, granted, without him, there might be nothing to cause trouble with!) and the team is feeling it and that's causing problems with how they're playing...

Reply #502054 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who would have thought that a team who's owner signed players without getting input from his own coaching staff as to their fit wouldn't be playing very well?

Reply #502090 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hallelujah - someone has finally hit the nail on the head. See #502090

Reply #502111 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Can someone explain why there is a huge outlash with the releasing of Gruber when they replaced him for one of the Hawks favourite players in Martin?

Wouldn't this be the same as Anthony being released for say Creek (If Creek had gone to Europe to test the waters)?

Or is it a case of they should have released someone else in the team, for example Ballinger? I think Ballinger is a better player so they would be disadvantaging the Hawks by doing that.

What is your opinion of a better solution to get Martin?

Reply #502115 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Get rid of Carson, easy.

Reply #502121 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

"What is your opinion of a better solution to get Martin?"
Sack Nevill.
Sack Ballinger.
Sack Carson.

There's three options. Apparently it had to be Gruber for points reasons, but Gruber's worth two fewer points than Ballinger. No idea what Nevill's worth, but it's surely more than five. Carson is obviously a 10.

Reply #502123 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

From http://www.nbadraft.net/players/jahii-carson

--

"Greatly limited by his lack of size on the defensive side of the ball. Opposing guards can easily shoot over him or post him up ... Considering his speed and quickness, he gets beat off the dribble more than you would think he would, and he often gets caught up in screens. Not an overly aggressive defender, seemingly disinterested at times, and his theft numbers (.8 steals per 40 min.) are well below average for a guard with his physical skills"

Reply #502126 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

If there is any truth to Hawks owner making the decision to sack Gruber and sign Novell that is a clear sign he has lost confidence and respect for Gordie as the coach which could only mean one thing at the end of the season..if he last that long.
I think it's more likely that he's a bit new to it all and didn't appreciate that if you start chopping and changing you throw a lot of money at a problem with little idea of how to solve it. And you risk alienating your Coach of the Year and players that had seen success previously.

It's understandable given that addition by subtraction or "champion team" vs "team of champions" are counterintuitive.

KingJames, Gruber was the player's player last year and had a great season by his standards. He worked hard and knew the system. Ballinger and Hill have upside, but aren't famous for their team defence. Nevill was brought in cold and all the hints online seem to be it was against the preferences of the coach. I like Ballinger as bit of a bonus replacing past second-string bigs and Hill is a bit of an X-factor. Nevill looks to be one problem and then the duplication of scoring guards probably another.

I was really surprised that Gordie started the imports and Hill last game. Maybe Martin is unfit? Otherwise why not start him and get the structure right from the start? Same with Davidson in from the beginning.

Reply #502132 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The problem with Nevill is two fold. (Maybe three).

1. He's too slow to play in the Hawks read/react system. It relies on quick ball movement and pick roll opening up quick dumps inside for layups. He's simply not quick enough to make those cut/catch/shoot happen. Brings the ball down and gets striped from the weak side help defender constantly.

2. He just seems to be in the way a lot. No point having fast guys that can get into the lane because Nevill and his defender are almost constantly in the paint taking up all the space.

(3. Other teams simply take their big man outside and draw him out so he's not often in good inside position on the defensive end and ends up being a step slow on help rotation because he's just not quick enough, as per point 1.

Reply #502142 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

His interior defence has been good this year, and his rebounding has been good too. I think Gordie needs to utilise his mid-range game, which has been almost completely dormant.

He can either can on the move and dunk or hit from mid-range, he doesnt have much of a post game and lacks the balance to seal around the bucket on smaller guys.

Reply #502151 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If only Hawks could have kept Rotnei Clarke.

Reply #502153 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:40 pm, Thu 18 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754