Jack Toft
Years ago

R5: Taipans v Breakers

Will the Breakers get broken, or will the snakes get milked?

Who would have thought the Taipans would be top of the table going into R5 with a perfect record - only Taipans fans! There's something in the water up there at the moment and it's not our reptilian friends. A lot of ducks have lined up for them and there's no reason why they can't get this one. Settle down Aaron, there's plenty of time to get excited later.

The obvious, exciting matchup will be Scottie Wilbekin v Cedric Jackson. This is the matchup both teams will want to win. Wilbekin has been a freak this season and has got shorts odds on the MVP a a result.

Oh, the stadium will be full of orange. It'll look worse than a group of miners at a mine site with their vests only because they'll be wearing orange wigs as well.

This should be the MOTR and it's hard not to see the Taipans continue their clean sweep. Someone will take away their brooms, but not the Breakers tonight.

Topic #35840 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

I hope it goes into 4 overtimes!

Reply #501713 | Report this post

Darryl  
Years ago

NZ by 2.
MOTR for me too. Would have had Perth v Melb as previous game of the round but see this as the best game this weekend.

Reply #501721 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

I think NZ may have a shot at this one narrowly but not going to hold my breath, Fearne has put together a great squad.

Reply #501745 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

The Breakers are stage 1 of the reptile rumble. They will want to win both games, but how hard do they go tonight to ensure they are still in the hunt on Sunday?

Reply #501747 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Breakers cairns are due a loss

Reply #501748 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Would be very happy to see Crocs nail the Breakers in the second game to make me feel better about Wildcats screwing up over there :D

Reply #501749 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Breakers have struggled to back up on Sunday after Friday night games so if we win tonight I'd expect us to drop the Sunday game against Townsville but if we go down tonight I'd expect them to come out firing on Sunday.

I think we'll go 1/1 this round.

Reply #501757 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

I think Cairns are primed to be beaten - and I mean no disrespect but they are now due.

Breakers appear primed and are on the first leg.

Breakers by 3.

Preview: Things are heating up north; can the Breakers cool Cairns off?

Reply #501772 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think NZ will go 1-1 too, I'm just not sure which one they'll drop, so I'm tipping against them both times! Cairns by bugger all.

Reply #501776 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Wow..Te Rangi's confidence is shot to pieces.

Reply #501781 | Report this post

Wookie  
Years ago

Cairns in trouble it seems so far.

Reply #501783 | Report this post

Slopernator  
Years ago

Anyone else's nbl.tv feed kinda crap?

Reply #501785 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

TeRangi has been a completely different player since his court appearance and subsequent breakdown pre game at Vector that evening.
Jackson's passing game has been great. He's so much better when he attacks and draws the defense instead of jacking up the outside shot.
Loving Ibekwe's energy, he's had what 3 big dunks already?

Reply #501787 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

3/4 time. Ibekwe listed as having made 2 blocks.

Are they taking the absolute piss?

He has had at least 6.

Very entertaining game. Will be a cracking final term.

Reply #501791 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Mystro, regarding Te Rangi. I have never seen a player's confidence decline as much as his has. He simply can't do a single thing right..i don't think ive seen any of his 3 point attempts even touch the rim. I am sure the club and his teammates are supporting him. Obviously a very family orientated club

Reply #501792 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Totally agree, his shot has been way off and he gets badly burnt defensively, the decline has been huge

Reply #501794 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

Very entertaining game won by the better team on the night. Farcical how the refs didn't know how to manage the tech foul. Ibekwe sensational, surely at least 5 blocks, the statisticians should watch a replay of the game and update the stats. They even missed Craig's block.

Reply #501803 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gladness should get 8 blocks then for last week. The stats people somehow missed about four last week. Do they get paid?

Reply #501807 | Report this post

justin  
Years ago

Who was it that was saying Te Rangi was as good if not better than Creek?

Reply #501809 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

High quality game, with the exception of a few little moments of madness, would not be disappointing with a playoff match-up between these two, even though it mightn't be great for the league!

Ibekwe was just everywhere, and Jackson and Webster just seemed to make plays whenever Cairns challenged.

Interesting to see Jackson constantly doubling of Wilbekin and daring him to shoot from range. Cedric knows what it's like to be on the other side of that fence!

Shame that trashy game from down south was on TV, but at least the stream mostly worked well so I could enjoy this one (with a few swear-inducing hiccups in the last quarter!).

Reply #501811 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Te Rangi's game definitely down over the last few games

Reply #501812 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Te Rangi is young and talented.

He has had a scare. He will be again, better and stronger.

Patience my friends

Reply #501818 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Justin that was me and for good reason, up until his court appearance TeRangi was playing well. Since then his game has declined, much like Creeks when he picked up an injury.

Reply #501819 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

I got it right, just the margin wrong.

While it is probably the loss that they had to have, Cairns have been great this season and will surely bounce back in their next game.

Ibekwe and Jackson were too good in this one.

Ibekwe, Breakers stop streaking Snakes

Reply #501825 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Ekene was a stud last night.

Webster finally showing what he can do in the league. A lot of people said he wouldn't progress this year and had reached his ceiling. Averaging 16/17ppg this year..well up on previous years.

Very high quality game. Gliddon needs to hit his shots if Cairns want to go deep.

Impressed with Bruce. I was on his back earlier and questioned whether he should have got a final roster spot.

His vision and the way he sees the game is very good.

Reply #501837 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I'm not sure too many people had much doubt Webster was going to have a big year. Maybe some anons, but that's just entertainment!

Reply #501838 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

I watched Kings vs Hawks instead of this cos I prefer the high quality TV against NBL.TV

Very glad I've been backing the Breakers all the way thru and I backed them in this game too. At 5-3, inc 3-2 on the road with wins in Cairns and Perth now, no real weakness on their roster, depth, experience, a class superstar to lead them in Jackson- they have all the ingredients to win it all. If Perth can't get their offense going (and that's a huge question mark right now) NZ are looking good this season.

Reply #501841 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Just need to back that performance up with a decent game against the Crocs who are going to be very tough to beat at home.

Reply #501843 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

Tragadh and Weigh....seriously,do they just pick and choose when they turn up??

problem with these type of players is they cant mentally fight their way out of average/bad starts to games...might as well bench them after half time if they haven't shown up to play !

Not good enough guys !

Reply #501888 | Report this post

Greybuoy  
Years ago

Venom, KingPodge, where are you? (I know, I know, you should always acknowledge the King first. Sorry.) But you guys have been missing from the fray. Not a word about this last game.
Yes, I have to admit my Unitiggers are failing the test. It's been hard to come to terms with this.
On the pos, which completely makes up for it, Vickerman has contacted me with his thanks for my recent insights into the Taipans (even though I'd humbly suggested he ignore this report, citing the contrary professional opinion of the King).
The Taipans still head the table, but how long will they sit there?
Scottie probably isn't a naughty boy, but he's definitely not the messiah.
As the stats declare. As the stats declare..
And as Fearne knows. Just read the Cairns Post.

Reply #502146 | Report this post

King Podge  
Years ago

haha sorry to disappoint Grey.

What can i say, Breakers came out with a point to prove after last week, Taipans came out slow - like a team that won 6 in a row and probably felt a bit invincible.

2nd half was good, but we couldn't make up the ground we missed in the 1st.

For a guy with cramps most of the 4th, Wilbekin didn't do a bad job walking on water:).

Reply #502157 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:49 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754