ShutUp!!
Years ago

Great News for Oscar & Jacob - Not Good for Sturt

Basketball Australia website has the Boomers Team for tour of Japan & China commencing Tuesday 19/7 & returning Monday 1/8.

Glen Saville (Wollongong)
CJ Bruton (Sydney)
Wade Helliwell (Lottomatica Roma)
Jacob Holmes (Adelaide)
Mark Worthington (Sydney)
Alex Loughton (Old Dominion Uni)
Russell Hinder (Hunter)
Peter Crawford (Perth)
Luke Martin (Sydney)
Pero Vasiljevic (JDA Dijon)
Oscar Forman (Adelaide)
Andrew Rice (Wollongong)

That means that Oscar will miss first two weeks of ABL Finals.

Topic #3585 | Report this topic

Bizzy  
Years ago

That's awesome!! Congrats to them both.

Will Sturt be able to cover the loss of the Big O for that period of time considering it's finals?

Reply #41693 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Great news for SA boys however whatthe hell is Pero doing in the squad???

Obviously no decent bigs around.

Reply #41694 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

I think Pero is just going to be a backup to Wade Helliwell. BG seemed very pleased with Wade and he gives him a good rap on Basketball Oz website.

Reply #41695 | Report this post

Bob Knight  
Years ago

How the hell did Newley miss out! This is an outrage!!

Reply #41696 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

Newley is playing in the Under 21 Crocs side Bobby. Relax!!

Reply #41698 | Report this post

Bob Knight  
Years ago

My bad Bizz, had a long week.

Reply #41699 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Oscar is 13th man for the tour of Japan that leaves on Tuesday. He'll get some minutes there, and based on that performance is a chance to play on the Four Nations Tour and possibly in China also. However, I think that was before someone went down with injury (Crawford or Davidson?) so things might change.

He said that he started a bit averagely and but shot very well from outside in the sessions after that. He said that Jacob did well and that Pero was getting a lot of dunks (he said something like 30 a day and around 10 per scrimmage).

I asked about Worthington, and he said that he's similar to Jacob in height and a good player.

Basically talked about other things that people would guess about a Boomers camp -- very tough, complex plays, no one calling fouls so you just had to play a bit rougher.

Reply #41700 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

Obviously he found it a great learning curve for him Isaac, how did he find playing/training under BG?

Reply #41701 | Report this post

Skyhook  
Years ago

Good news for the SA guys ..

Sturt would be a bit worried about losing Oscar with some of the others still struggling to get back into match fitness.

Pero was always going to get better as his brain caught up to his body (maybe) so lets hope as another SA boy he does ok too .

Guys like Peter Crawford and Mark Worthington are going to be good to watch too.

Isaac,

Any news on the televised rights and or schedule for the tour? Im not holding my breath but ..

Reply #41702 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Bizzy -- a different experience and I guess that players just combine the various approaches from coaches.

Skyhook -- no idea, sorry. Would be great to see some footage, especially of someone like Pero! Hopefully we'll at least get boxscores.

Reply #41703 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Caught up with Jason Smith while in Canberra. He spoke highly of Goorjian and is quite disappointed Brettski's not continuing on this year but them's the breaks.

Was interesting to hear his take on the 36ers' offseason moves, lack thereof, and what happened to Nashy, Reesy and Co.

Champion bloke. Was very impressed.

Reply #41768 | Report this post

The Godfather  
Years ago

Ofcourse Jason Smith would have nice things to say about BG. If my coach was the Australian coach I'd be saying nice things about him all the time to.

Reply #41780 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Dude, it wasn't that kind of discussion. He just said he respects him as a basketball coach.

Vidmar - did you know he's on our team? ;-)

Reply #41785 | Report this post

what the  
Years ago

great for oscar

that is it for sturt - we have seen how they have struggled lately without him.
without oscar they just do not have the match ups

woodville would be doin a jig

Reply #41790 | Report this post

gertrude  
Years ago

pero's brain catching up with his body.....what the??....when did he get a brain??

Reply #41794 | Report this post

S Vidmar  
Years ago

didnt know but very good to hear, have a new found respect for him now

Reply #41822 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:40 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754