Curtley
Years ago

Alternative Venue for Sydney Kings Home Games

Does anyone have any idea where the Kings will be playing after the current season when the Entertainment Centre will be demolished? The obvious guess is the State Sport Centre at Homebush but that's in the Olympic precinct which is in the middle of nowhere (with zero character).

Apparently the Kings want to move to Fox Studios near the SCG however the venue there will not be ready for a while.

Topic #35871 | Report this topic

NBL Fan  
Years ago

What is the Fox Studios venue?

Well I believe the plan is to play in the new entertainment centre once it opens.

The current entertainment centre closes around December 2015 I think which gives them around half of next season in the current building.

Reply #502277 | Report this post

Nix 13  
Years ago

The State Sport Centre at Homebush is not in the middle of nowhere. It is actually in the middle of Sydney! Also has a train station at the front door. Would be a good choice if you were interested in marketing your product to families in the biggest city in the country.

Fox studios would be a disaster IMO.

Reply #502308 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

The State sports centre is geographically in the middle of Sydney but there is literally nothing to do out there in terms of bars, restaurants etc.

Reply #502313 | Report this post

pwned  
Years ago

It's better than it was. Plenty of places to eat and drink. But yeah, its a 40 minute trip for most people to get there.

Reply #502321 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The new Entertainment Centre that forms part of the plans for the Darling Harbour redevelopment is a theatre configuration and as such will not be suitable for sports such as basketball.

Reply #502365 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#502365 Not sure where you got this from buddy, might want to check your facts.

http://www.darlingharbourlive.com.au/media/24200/140410_LL_DHL_Factsheet_Ent-Apr14.pdf

"The Theatre will also cater for the needs of the
convention industry.
The main, fan-shaped auditorium will be adaptable
for use in 'mega conferences' and the building will
also contain over 1,500 square metres of corporate
entertainment facilities.
It will also be available for sporting events, including
basketball - making it suitable for Sydney Kings
games."

Reply #502372 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't care what the advertising on the website says. I have seen the plans.

It cannot be used for basketball, unless you want to have the court on the stage, and fans sitting in a fan configuration as if they are watching Phantom of the Opera.

Reply #502383 | Report this post

Coogee32  
Years ago

If they're considering moving to Homebush,I think they'd be far better using Allphones arena, with the curtain over the top tier. Sure this would be more expensive than the State Sports Centre ,but it's a far superior venue, with much better corporate offerings.

Reply #502392 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

Fox Studios is what some people would like who have a say in these things, I believe they would use the former government pavilion which would have the inside renovated. It is currently not used for anything but is a beautiful old Art deco building.

Reply #502395 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

In a perfect world the Kings would move back into the Superdome (Allphones Arena) and draw 15,000+ to each game.

Reply #502425 | Report this post

Harry Hackrein  
Years ago

Corps go to HOmebush? Unlikely.

Reply #502433 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fox Studios sounds interesting. What would capacity be?

Reply #502503 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

Have a look at these venues at Fox Studios, Government Pavillion and commemorative pavilion. Not sure of capacity but obviously neither have seats in them at the moment.

http://www.foxstudiosaustralia.com/Overview/Our-History

Reply #502622 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:58 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754