chris
Years ago

Fotu signs with CAI Zaragoza

Just weeks after turning pro, Tall Blacks forward Isaac Fotu has picked up a contract with European basketball side CAI Zaragoza.

The Spanish club has signed Fotu to a three year contract.

It comes after Fotu was ruled ineligible to play a third year at the University of Hawaii.

Topic #35873 | Report this topic

MACDUB  
Years ago

Wow. that's bigtime. Good on him.

I'm kind of glad he didn't come back to the Breakers. I think its a win-win for all parties.

And good on Zaragoza for offering him a three year deal and recognising that he is still somewhat of a project. He will get great opportunities and three years is a long time in professional sport to develop and refine your game.

Reply #502359 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Joins Goulding and Lisch. The way European basketball works I'd be surprised if he's still there in three years though.

Reply #502360 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Wow!
He has signed on with a Eurocup team first crack. Now to hold his position...
Goulding is doing very well so far.

Reply #502374 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Better for him than the NBL. Our league is starting to get great recognition, but not Spain type respect. NZ fans will be spewing but this is the best way for them to attempt at getting another guy in the big show long run.

Reply #502375 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Yeah, the ACB is one of the leagues in Europe that is better than the NBL and you want your guys playing in, provided they're at a decent club, which Zaragoza is at the moment.

Reply #502377 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

yeah I agree Macdub, great comp and need more Kiwi's playing in top leagues instead of all fighting for breakers spots

Reply #502386 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

One of the great strengths of the Tall Blacks is the fact so many play together at the Breakers.

While you want those who can play at higher levels to do so, losing too much of that familiarity could undo some of the improvement in talent. It's a balance, play elsewhere as long as it's a good situation.

The Boomers have suffered a bit over recent years from having too many guys sitting on their clubs' benches and not getting better.

Reply #502388 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Will this benefit him more than 2 years of college?

Reply #502403 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

One of the great strengths of the Tall Blacks is the fact so many play together at the Breakers.

Agreed Paul, you can't discount chemistry and that along with heart gets us over the line more often than not.
You also make a good point about Tall Blacks players who are Breakers getting good minutes week in week out with their International team mates against good competition Vs riding the pine in Europe and coming into Boomers/Tall Blacks under done and having to try build that chemistry in 10-14 days.

Reply #502404 | Report this post

some_fulla  
Years ago

What sort of $ will he be on? Didn't the breakers offer him big bucks?

Reply #502418 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dont agree is was a good move by Isaac. Chasing the dollars too soon. I would have liked to have seen him sit grow his game some more.

These young kids needs to develop their game. Steve Adams has been lucky enough to do this in OKC.

I just worry about language barriers

Reply #502420 | Report this post

Dream Shake  
Years ago

Good move on all accounts
Time for him to look after his family
Alah Steven Adams speech
Don't hate what you don't understand folks
Dude can play , earnt a lot of respect from his exploits at the world cup . and Hawaii is Division 1
Good luck to him on his journey . surpassed Abercrombie just by borrowing a laptop . abercrombie hype still bores me

Reply #502581 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:30 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754