Anonymous
Years ago

Why does Jonah Bolden have an American accent?

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/2014-adidas-Nations-Interview-Jonah-Bolden-4777/

Topic #35878 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Because his father is American and he has been living in America for a little while now. Pretty normal for young guys to to pick up the accent of the people they are surrounded by.

Reply #502449 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dante hasnt though

Reply #502461 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

brock motum has a slight american accent. some people are just prone to picking it up. others could live in another country for decades and nit change at all.

Reply #502464 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's strange because he sounds fluent Aussie in this interview last year
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Gfs2hg8Sa00

Reply #502477 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He has switched accents and I don't blame him. American accent is far superior, Australia and our accents are as the late Robin Williams described them "British rednecks".

Reply #502498 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

People with multiple influences will often change their accent based on their environment or those they're speaking directly to. I don't know why people get so caught up on it.

My uncle was born in Europe and will go from ocker to ESL-migrant depending on whether he's talking to someone here or amongst fellow countrymen.

Reply #502511 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Far easier if it helps you talk more clearly.
Many yanks can't understand us at all.way to fast talking often mumbling and words we use they have no idea about.

Reply #502517 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

And yet in some circles we are considered as having a most appealing and likeable accent here in Austria...

quote: Arnold Schwarzenegger in his commercial :]

Reply #502520 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

because he's a wannabe american

Reply #502529 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

Man thats sad, he is so putting that on. You can tell he still normally speaks with an Australian accent!

Reply #502535 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah definitely putting it on

Reply #502546 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't know about Americans not understanding us. Maybe you are just way too bogan/ocker, in that case of course they wouldn't? If you speak normally it's fine. Normally as in normally, nothing to do with accent.

I've been there many times and never had a problem, even received compliments. They ask if I'm from Britain (lol) and once they hear Australia one woman said "oh you obviously are one of the educated ones" hahahahaha! at the indirect reference by an American to the bogan/ocker sounding aussies that seem to be everywhere now in this country

Reply #502549 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

probably a reference to not being a convict

Reply #502550 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does it really matter?

Reply #502603 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

"People with multiple influences will often change their accent based on their environment or those they're speaking directly to. I don't know why people get so caught up on it."

^^THIS!

This is the 'real' Australian accent to me.

I am much the same. The only time I notice the 'tv' Australian accent when I am overseas and there are 'true blue' aussies around. It's like nails on a chalk board.

Reply #502610 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When I went to the states I did it on purpose as I CBF'd repeating myself all of the time. I don't believe I brought it home with me though.

Reply #502612 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Because he picked it up on special at Walmart. The only problem was he had to trade in any common sense knowledge about the rest of the world to get the deal.

Reply #502641 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

murica

Reply #502670 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

What a stupid thread

Reply #502674 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:17 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754