Matthew
Years ago

Tigers brand name owned by United

http://www.news.com.au/sport/more-sports/melbourne-united-says-it-still-owns-rights-to-melbourne-tigers-name/story-fndukor0-1227119975752

Very Interesting. I did think Gaze and co were getting a little ahead of themselves.

Topic #35881 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Let's face it the Gazes are basketball royalty in this country but apart from that they don't strike me as all too bright.

Good luck getting the trademark off of your competitors. Dodo guys have business acumen and know what they are doing.

Reply #502502 | Report this post

bethdavis10  
Years ago

This isn't new information. The same was revealed when Melbourne United were first announced as the new brand. It will make it harder but not impossible for the consortium. Entering a team into SEABL shouldnt see any opposition because SEABL is not a professional league. It's the same Melbourne Tigers club that currently has a team in Big V.
It's at NBL level that United owners still own Tigers brand. So a a year or 2 in SEABL allows time to continue discussions about purchasing the trademark at NBL level.

Reply #502505 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Putting in a SEABL team would be a good way to test the water to see if there is an appetite to restart an NBL team.

Reply #502506 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Slepoy and co don't want to use the brand, why don't they let someone else?

If they're so smart, how can you explain the decline in crowds. I think it was the most stupid decision in basketball - if they wanted united in the comp, it should have been the second melbourne team.

Reply #502510 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Gaze, etc should pressure United publically to give it up if they aren't using the name.

Reply #502513 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

Or somehow convince them to have a stake in both United and a resurrected Tigers team. Are there NBL rules against ownership of multiple clubs?

Reply #502514 | Report this post

swish  
Years ago

Tigers brand wasn't working before so why would it now. They had / have a loyal following but they also probably only appeal to a small section of the basketball community - unfortunately. They are a bit like Pt Adelaide as an AFL club trying to gain support from supporters of rival SANFL clubs.
People wil jump onboard when they are successful.

I don't see how a SEABL team tests anything. Its played in a different season with semi professionals and clubs have a MUCH smaller budget and require a much smaller suport base.

We have seen a number of SEABL stars be unable to even break into NBL teams becasue the stadnard is so different.

Reply #502515 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Where are these tigers in the seal rumours coming from? Way to late I would have thought to get a team in now.

Reply #502516 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

"If Slepoy and co don't want to use the brand, why don't they let someone else?"
Because they want a monopoly on NBL in Victoria. The entire point of the change to United was to prevent a second team getting a foothold.

"Tigers brand wasn't working before so why would it now."
Who says it wasn't working before?

Reply #502518 | Report this post

bethdavis10  
Years ago

A SEABL team doesn't necessarily test the waters of NBL, but it shows steps are being taken to bring the brand back to life. It provides hope to those die hard Tigers fans that their team will return.

Yes it still exists at Big V level right now and always has, but bringing it to SEABL level gives it a more national push. If they do it well and put a solid team on the floor with great marketing, it could very well bring the crowds of the Tigers faithful. Particularly if the Gazes and other Tigers club legends are involved and are marketed as such. It's not a short term plan, it's taking the long view to revive a historical brand at the national level.

Reply #502522 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

"Tigers brand wasn't working before so why would it now."
Who says it wasn't working before?

The amount of people that attended their semi final game in Melbourne for starters.

Reply #502523 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Tigers brand was making a profit when Seamus had it.If they cant get a SEABL team up for next year i would say that the chances of them coming back are very slim.

Reply #502524 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

From memory the Semi final was on a week night and the tickets were absurd- something like $50 I paid.

A better gauge is the regular season crowds. Last season the Tigers had 10 home games at The Cage and 4 at Hisense.

The 4 Hisense games averaged 6,700, with attendances ranging between 6,000 and 7,500. In comparison, United's first 4 games average 4,600, range 3,400-5,700.

The last 5 games at The Cage sold out. Not bad considering the Cage's poor location for the majority of Melbournians who live East of the city and need to catch 2 trains to get there.

Unlike most of my fellow Tigers fans I have jumped on board And I am now a United member. I said right from the start that I dislike losing the Tigers history but basketball is bigger than the Tigers. However, anyone who thinks things have been a success so far is absolutely just kidding themselves...…it's been a total failure so far.

It may pick up in future, but right now I’m betting Slepoy and Kestlemen wish they could wind the clock back. I don’t see how this United change could have done anything but lost them a load of money.

Reply #502526 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Correction Semi final was on a Sunday

But still, people had what, a week or whatever to plan for it? And as I said, tickets weren't cheap.

Regular season crowds are a far better comparison, and so far United arent even close to what the Tigers were getting at Hisense. And this is with United practically begging their members to come to games.... by calling them up and giving away $10 promo tickets and offering various other perks with memberships.

Reply #502527 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

United management have lost touch with the basketball community. Each year they could use the excuse for poor crowd attendance as people don't come because of the junior program. This year they don't have that.

I went to the game last night. Things that really puzzled me:
(1) The Tigers retired players jersey's hanging from the rafters (You need to go all in or none at all. I wonder is Copeland knows his number was hanging there)
(2) The stupid "B-A-L-L-E-R" chant for the dumb mascot. I can't think of any other professional sports team that chants for it's mascot and not it's team
(3) The atmosphere is less appealing than a SEABL game and they haven't upgraded crowd engagement techniques still using KISS cam, hand clappers and "I like to move it, move it" music.
(4) At each baseline there was basically no-one there which is why they dropped the prices to $10. For anyone watching the game at home most of the fans were packed into the side where the camera was facing

If I were a United board member I would be extremely worried because even those people who paid $10 for a ticket last night wouldn't have thought they got their money's worth and they won't be able to keep affording to rent a stadium if they get no crowds. They are totally out of touch with the basketball community and a new brand name doesn't fix that.

Reply #502530 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Every chance this was going to happen. Maybe let them have another game when the boxing's not across the road. Seamus was clever enough to charge full bottle at a nah and that's how the made a profit. Plus his rent was cheap.

Reply #502533 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

"(2) The stupid "B-A-L-L-E-R" chant for the dumb mascot. I can't think of any other professional sports team that chants for it's mascot and not it's team"

Aren't they insisting on calling everyone involved in any way with the club (players, fans, et) "ballers"?

It's a pretty blatant ripoff of South East Melbourne's "M-A, G-I-C, Magic!" I think it even has the same beat leading up to the actual chant. I do remember the beat starting up last night, and I was subconsciously expecting the Magic chant to start up. It was a bit jarring when it didn't.

Reply #502536 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

These guys are businessmen. They make money. So did Seamus. They didn't make their $ by playing nice and being diplomatic.

Reply #502537 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just as a comparison, so far the crowds are down an average of 295 people

(Played 4 games so far. 19,713 last season compared to 18,531 this season)

Reply #502538 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Whilst playing in stadiums with double and triple the capacity.

Reply #502541 | Report this post

ajk34  
Years ago

The Tigers have two brands - Seamus McPeake separated the brand from the Junior club when he re-branded the Tigers a few years back, he was even going to start a rival Junior club call the "Cubs".

There was a despite between McPeake and David Watson that argued that McPeake didn't own the Tigers brand and it was in fact the Junior club the owned the brand. If you notice the Junior and BigV teams use the old logo.

This is why the club can get away with entering a SEABL team, but they won't own a NBL Licence yet, this is owned by United. This would be a true test of this though

Time will tell.......

Reply #502544 | Report this post

Harry Hackrein  
Years ago

I keep asking why is there talk of a Tigers team in the seabl. If you knew the rules that need to apply for both mens and womens side and its way too late afaik to do so.

Reply #502564 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Anonymous, The Cage is hard to get to for anyone in the Eastern suburbs- public transport was difficult, parking was limited, and people didnt want to walk up and buy tickets in case it sold out.

4 games in a row at Hisense to close the season- EVERY game over 6k. 4 games into the new season, not ONE game at 6k. And 2 games under 4k. Very, very disappointing no matter how you wanna slice it and dice it. Figures are figures. No point dressing it up.

Reply #502585 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

The Cage was actually pretty easy to get to, but the perception was it was difficult and that was enough.

Reply #502591 | Report this post

Scopes44  
Years ago

I guess United intentionally interchange the words season ticket holders and members intentionally to make it like they have large numbers.

Reply #502616 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

In what respect do Slepoy and Kesterman own the Tigers name? Of course they own an NBL club license, but they have elected give up the Tigers name within the NBL. If the Tigers name is owned outright outside of the NBL, surely they would have the rights to the junior club name too. So is this proclaimed ownership of the Tigers name an NBL-specific ownership, in which case, can the NBL administration relinquish their rights to own the name given S&K have adopted a new name?

Reply #502639 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:15 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754