Anonymous
Years ago

Who are the contenders??

I know it's early but from what you have seen so far which teams do u think are in serious contention for the title this year??

Perth, NZ ....

Topic #35903 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

melbourne look good right now

Reply #502907 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

I reckon you can lock that top 4 in (maybe not that order): Perth, Cairns, NZ, Melb.
Melb are a little shakey as their game plan seems to just rely on the 3 pointer going in, but they have enough talent on the roster to cover it.
Can't see Adelaide getting it together enough to break in. Sydney have no depth. Townsville seeming quite fragile and Wollongong... well, you know.

Reply #502910 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agree with Wilson. Top four is set. From there it comes down to HCA.

Reply #502912 | Report this post

Ganymede 86  
Years ago

Perth NZ Cairns right now. Think Melbourne and Adelaide can potentially move in.

Reply #502914 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

I actually think Cairns will fall off a little bit. Hot starts don't count for much come playoff time. They have a lot to prove still. Perth, United, then tight between NZ, ADL and SYD... rest are making up numbers. Still wish Wollongong had been better, would make for a much more interesting season.

Reply #502922 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth, then daylight!

Reply #502923 | Report this post

Darryl  
Years ago

Perth, NZL and Melbourne.
Folloeed by Cairns and Adelaide.

Reply #502924 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yeah I reakon Perth, NZ Melbourne

Reply #502929 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

'923....Perth then daylight?

Have you seen their poor offence and Daniel's production?

Seen how much offensive output has dropped off for Damo, Knight and Redhage?

They will not win when they need Beal to shoot near 50% from 3pt.

Reply #502932 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Marcus : you make some valid points. Yes there offence is not great, yes Daniels production is not great, yes Knight, Redhage and Martin's output has dried up. However, there defence is second to none and despite all the points you raised they are still sitting on top of the ladder.
There's also the fact that they scored 93 & 85 this week and Knight and Daniels put decent numbers up in both games. I do agree with you though that it's not a case of "Perth then Daylight " at this point in time. It's more like Perth, NZ, Cairns then daylight. Perth are going to be scary if and when they hit top gear ;)

Reply #502937 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

Train I agree....their defence is superb. In fact they are conceding ten points less per game than the league Against average, that is incredible.

But coupled with below average offence, it makes them deserving of top spot but not automatic for a top 2 finish.

Also I note than the Cats have played 5 at home and 3 on the road whilst Cairns, with the same W/L record has played 3 at home and 5 on the road.

But this coming weekend will be a great test for the them against 2 legit top 4 aspirants away. What a great weekend of basketball we have coming up!

Reply #502948 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

I don't think there will be many games separating the top 4 teams at the conclusion of the regular season. If a team loses one or two games they could very well drop from 1st to 4th, or even drop out of the top 4 for that matter.
United and 36ers, whilst not playing great at present have a serious potential to make some nose in the playoffs. Cairns and Townsville can beat any team on a good night.

I can't see Hawks or Kings will make the finals but no doubt they will have a serious say on who does make the top 4.

Reply #502953 | Report this post

Jick  
Years ago

Contenders: NZ
Perth
Adelaide
Cairns

Pretenders: Melbourne

Benders: Sydney
Townsville

Go f*ck Eva Mendes: Wollongong

Reply #503455 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:17 am, Sat 30 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754