Anonymous
Years ago

TV broadcast deal for next season?

Just curious if anyone knows when the cut off date for the negotiations (for the NBL) is?

Surely broadcasters have to set their scheduling up, well in advance?

Have the NBL started the negotiation process? And has any broadcaster shown any interest?

Nick Marvin said "We need every match live for next season", is this likely to happen?

Thanks.

Topic #35950 | Report this topic

Nick Marvin  
Years ago

Yes.

Reply #503607 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Very clever. Any serious answers?

Reply #503610 | Report this post

William  
Years ago

@Nick Marvin - is that you the NBL chairman. Hahaha.

Somewhere around May when the deadline is but you know that they can finalise the deal before that and I thought it was mid season which is December/January. The negotiations will be in the early stages but fans will know more down the track as to who is interested and who is not. It really depends if the networks really want to cover all games on TV.

Reply #503612 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Depends on how many teams will even be in the new next season. If there is an nbl even.
Some already suggesting cross gone and with the black curtain going up in the Hawks best who knows how long they will be around.
Expansion may be the only hope but thats clearly a red hot issue right now.

Reply #503618 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

My prediction: I think lots of people are going to be very surprised about how poor this next TV deal is going to be. It will be low paying and with few live games, perhaps only slightly more favourable than the current arrangement.

Reply #503622 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mick, who told you that ?

Reply #503624 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

No one. It's a prediction based on the NBL's place in the market. No one is going to be ponying up any large amount of dough for the rights to this league.

Reply #503630 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

At least not yet. They'd probably be better off locking in a shorter term deal in order to maintain flexibility and then leverage a later deal on any improvement in ratings / attendances over the next 1-2 years..

Reply #503637 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

I expect that we will see the NBL on Foxtel next year.

Reply #503746 | Report this post

William  
Years ago

@NBL Fan - yes and a FTA network as Nick Marvin did say that they want Ten on a 3 to 5 year deal and a similar AFL deal. This was last month. So gives me hope that it will stay on FTA

Reply #503754 | Report this post

Harry Hackrein  
Years ago

Don't forget that Fraser Neill said " finalising the next TV deal was still "a fair way off"
The intention was to have more teams, more games per week and a shorter schedule for next season.
Speculation that's it's close is far from the truth IMO.
I note Big Joe has left his position with BBI and that hopefully will mean one thing. The start of the Brisbane NBL side.
Shame that whoever else wants in is now behind the 8 ball.

Reply #503758 | Report this post

Wildcat Fan  
Years ago

A lot of what Nick Marvin said was pretty hopeful stuff though. I seriously doubt channel 10 will want anything to do with the NBL, or that the NBL will get an AFL type deal.

Fox looks like the best possible outcome for the NBL going forward, with maybe 1 live game sold on to a FTA channel like 7mate. The league just isn't strong enough to have a decent TV presence, however it does need a broadcaster that will commit to helping the league grow by advertising and promoting it, which channel 10 clearly doesn't do.

Considering how much promotion and 'gloss' SBS and Fox put into the A-League, the NBL isn't doing too bad by comparison considering Ch.10 does nothing, gives delayed coverage (especially in WA, the most popular market for the game), and with no effort put in to its presentation.

Lets not forget though, Fox were terrible for the NBL in its last few season's, which prompted the NBL to ditch it for One's 24 hr sports channel - and rightly so. So hopefully a possible return will get some better coverage.

Reply #503760 | Report this post

William  
Years ago

I wouldn't be surprised if NBL stays with Ten/One considering the relationship between the two networks (Foxtel and Ten). Both networks have secured the rights to major sports in the last year whether that is V8s, MotoGP, Rugby Union or even Formula 1. As they always seem to joint bid on any sport that is up for renewal. 7mate wouldn't be interested in the game as there is only 1 team that rates. NBL/Ten have added female sideline reporters to the games

Reply #503885 | Report this post

Harry Hackrein  
Years ago

Great the female sideline reporters have been added. Token female jobs?

Reply #503903 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I was thinking that too William if Ten are so disheartened by NBL games I wouldn't think they would be trying things like:

1. the female sideline reporters

2. Bringing back Bill Woods

3. Flying Carfino over to Perth for Wildcats home games when they could save the money by continuing to use the woeful Tony Ronaldson who lives over there.

4. Improved starting 5 graphics

Being the final year of the contract these things suggest Ten still want to keep the NBL.

Reply #503916 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Then why wont they do an advert for the game? Or give live coverage to improve the ratings? Or give it more than 15 seconds in their 20 minute sports news?

Reply #503919 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd suggest that bringing Bill Woods and using Carfino more means that Ten are doing their bit to damage the league.

Reply #503921 | Report this post

William  
Years ago

Anonymous
Yesterday
23:09 23 Nov 14
I doubt that as they are the face of NBL. Its an improvement as I don't find them irritating at all. These two know what they are talking about and as well as Andrew Gaze

Reply #503984 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:26 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754