Anonymous
Years ago

Something is Seriously wrong at BV

Why would anyone at BV (or its associations) think this is something to be proud of?

VJBL Breaking Records http://www.basketballvictoria.com.au/index.php?id=102&tx_ttnews[tt_news]=1003&tx_ttnews[backPid]=2&cHash=6dc7a49936

Growth should measured at a Domestic level, not by diluting its leading Junior Competition to levels of just PAY your fees and get a game.

In fact it's such an economically poor model, eventually associations will go broke as their domestic competitions die off as parents elect to only enter their kids into a Friday night competition. Surely it's time for member association to take hold of their sport in Victoria and stop Wantirna bleeding it dry?

Topic #36033 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

The member associations are the ones in control and are the reason that the sport can't make any money.

I agree that diluting the Friday night competition has ruined what we once had, but the VJBL is a separate entity to BV. They can do whatever they want.

'Wantirna' as you call it, has no money to 'bleed dry' because everytime they try to take steps to run the sport like a business (like AFL, netball etc.) the associations cry poor and block any change.

Reply #505225 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Come to SA if you think the VJBL is bad.

Reply #505227 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

YEP ^^^^

Reply #505233 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Its a cash cow for BV and the local associations.The more the merrier means more $$$

Reply #505236 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Anon, it is the VJBL promoting its own competition, I don't see your point?

Yes, there are issues on Friday night, such as late game times and obviously the travel people have to endure, however it is widely recognised that if an Association wants to enter representative teams they have to allocate court time on Friday nights for this.

To be honest, the VJBL is becoming so large that I think Friday night domestic should be called off altogether to cater for the VJBL teams, otherwise kids will start games at 10.30pm or later, this is the biggest issue, not diluting any domestic competitions which can be played on other nights IMHO.........

Reply #505237 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

OP, I am not sure you can draw all those conclusions from one article which is about a number of topics, not just growth.

Reply #505257 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

OP and other anon....How is the GROWTH of basketball, and the VJBL in particular an indication of wrongness at BV? Isn't it the other way around? These are seriously good numbers of kids participating in the sport at the highest level they are capable of. And it is Association based, not domestic. Kids play both, in fact most Associations make that the rule! No domestic, no Rep (Yes, you will point to exceptions!) As for a cash cow....look at the finacial statements. It is in the black as a comp but it also feeds funds back in to coach development, ref development etc. Bear is right about the travel, but both the VJBL and the Regional comp admins are very aware of this and many innovative ideas are trialled to reduce the travel.

Reply #505264 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@ Bear. You often preach the fact that VJBL Friday night games " keep kids off the streets ". Not all players have parental support to drive all over Victoria or are financially able to support Rep Basketball. If you take away their Friday night game at Domestic, you disadvantage many.

Also , if you move Friday night Domestic we all suffer as those game are then played mid week and we will all be playing 10 pm games.

Reply #505288 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

who says kids have to play domestic on a friday night?

Reply #505301 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

HO, if they don't play domestic, who are they representing? They are the representative teams of the association. Many associations have a hard and fast rule that if you don't play domestic, then you don't play rep ball.

Reply #505396 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

11 week Grading Phase is ridiculous - revenue raiser.

Reply #505399 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

@Anon#288, you are correct, I am well aware how important it is to keep kids off the streets at night and playing hoops is a great past time for them.

The issue may be the lack of courts and venues to cater for the growth of the sport?

Another change of government, a few big basketball projects under way and proposed, let's see how it all transpires in the next year or two, I hope we can cater for all of the growth...

I am saying there are other issues more important to consider and if Friday night is unable to cater for domestic it should be changed (not for those venues that don't hold representative competitions, just for those that want to be part of the VJBL).

The Op however is stating something is seriously wrong with BV because of all this growth in the junior sector of basketball, that may be a stretch!

Reply #505421 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

You miss the point.

Domestic does not have to be Friday night. Especially for those grades from whom representative kids don't come. Play your domestic A grades on Mon - thurs, and Saturday and play our weaker graded junior domestic on Friday.

Reply #505461 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why should VJBL take precedence over domestic?

Reply #505465 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Because there are 7 days in one week stupid! You have 6 other days to play domestic!!

Reply #505468 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And therefore you have 6 other days to play VJBL.

Reply #505493 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Anon^ VJBL is the premier junior competition in Australia, parents pay quite a bit more for their kids to play than domestic and it is regarded as a potential pathway for the next generation of elite basketball players to feed into higher divisions, also hopefully the NBL.

Other than this, nothing much is really different I guess...

Reply #505494 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Where do those kids whose parents cannot afford for them to join in the 'premier junior competitions' play on a Friday nights if the VJBL and their (in a lot cases) 11 pools of teams have swallowed up every court in Victoria as they attempt to do?

Seems inclusion goes out the window when we start talking about money and pathways for the next generation of cattle.

Reply #505509 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hey anon^ (stupid) you don't seem to get it do you? Who says only people with money play rep', anyone can afford it but it does cost more! Further more there are plenty of kids who play rep' at lower levels, not much above domestic standard. It isn't an exclusive competition but it is very popular, obviously not with you!

Reply #505524 | Report this post

:-)  
Years ago

Should Melbourne be conferences?

Reply #505538 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

So let me get this right. Basically you are saying that because not every parent can afford the cost of VJBL that every association should offer an alternate junior competition for every age group and standard BUT only on a Friday night?

Reply #505566 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

What happens to the kids whose parents can't afford for there kids to play VJBL.I know one family that has 3 kids playing at $1000 a pop per season.Not easy when money tight.Do associations consider families that are doing it tough?

Reply #505575 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

What club is $1000 a pop?

Reply #505601 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

$1000/3 I think Happy Days meant. My Club is $375 for rego and a new uniform ( Playing,warm up, Hoodie and training top )

Reply #505619 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@Happy Days, you have to name that club, if they are charging $1,000.00 per player that is way over the top and above average for VJBL!

The average is around the $300.00 mark I would suggest. Uniform costs etc.. may send it over this amount but after one season most kids can use same uniform.

Reply #505762 | Report this post

MELHOOPS  
Years ago

Hawthorn and Diamond Valley are $500+ and IMO rightfully so....they offer a superior product to 90% of the options available. I would guess these clubs to be the highest rego within the VJBL.

Reply #505944 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Diamond Valley is not $500+ it is $410, it's on their website, why do people make this stuff up. The only correct thing you said in your post was "I would guess", anything before and after it is rubbish.

Reply #505949 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Diamond Valley is not $500+ it is $410, it's on their website, why do people make this stuff up. The only correct thing you said in your post was "I would guess", anything before and after it is rubbish.

Reply #505950 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #505951 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Sorry accidentally posted that 3 times, apologies

Reply #505952 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Kilsyth is over $500, but its the extras that add up, $3 every person every week through the door, petrol all over town sometimes to two venues every week, petrol to training twice a week, if you have two and they are different times thats double.

It all adds up.

Easily over $1000.

Then if your in domestic comp away from your local area, you have to play domestic there. Rego, uniform, training, entry, rego fees and petrol.

Basketball would be the most expensive team sport to play for kids 100%.

Reply #505953 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LOL - try talking to someone who plays soccer...

Reply #505955 | Report this post

anon051  
Years ago

Interesting topic and read...
Having experienced Rep basketball in other states, and recently becoming involved in the VJBL I can tell you that you have a much superior product.

A lot of the discussion above is based on the decision of parents/players. Rep vs Domestic, Costs of Rep, Level of Competition at each level etc are all decision points.

Yes the lower levels in VJBL are not elite but it does give the players a structured competition to compete against a lot of different teams and also an opportunity to move up levels.

A majority of players are involved in both Rep and Domestic, if you make Rep just elite and have say 3 level then what will players in Division 4 do? Just play domestic???

I think some people just like to complain about something instead of having a positive impact...

Reply #505957 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sandringham is by far the most expensive, no other association comes close.

Reply #505958 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

one thing that annoys me with basketball is that if you have a couple of friends come to watch they have to pay. you see at stadiums all over the brother or sisters playing not interested in basketball but they have to pay

Reply #505959 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

"they offer a superior product to 90% of the options available"

people say really really stupid things sometimes...

Reply #505961 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Start with the club fee, then the uniform,paying to train and play, petrol money, tournament fees, boots,accomodation for country tournaments you wont see much change out of $1000 for 12 months.
American company running 3.5 hour training session $165....Ouch!!!

Reply #505962 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Here is a breakdown of what we spend on our daughters Swimming. Bearing in mind she is at National open/age level so in the Elite program. I will give you costings for her level, a development/junior swimmer (entry level) and a mid range swimmer we call a State Performance level.

Development/Junior Level (Entry Level)
Item Amount Monthly
Monthly squad fees $79
Pool entry fees $32
Swim meets $50
Total Monthly $161
Total Annually $1,932

State Performance (Mid Level)
Item Amount Monthly
Monthly squad fees $125
Pool entry fees $32
Physio $75
Swim meets $100
Total Monthly $332
Total Annually $3,984
Trip Funds
If they make National Opens there will be a payment of roughly $2,000 for the trip

National Open/Age (High Performance/Elite Level)
Item Amount Monthly
Monthly squad fees $179
Pool entry fees $32
Physio $150
Swim meets $150
Sports Dr visits $75
Yoga Class $100
Clinical Pilates $300
Total Monthly $986
Total Annually $11,832
Trips (cost per swimmer to attend if qualify)
NSW Opens $1,500
QLD Opens $1,750
S.A Opens $1,750
National Age $2,000
National Opens $2,000
Total trips over and above for the 'circuit' $9,000

Reply #505974 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good for you, but nobody asked.

Reply #505976 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Thanks for the breakdown anon^^ I have similar costs for elite basketball, I think anyone with kids in elite sport programs who also have travel and accommodation costs to consider are about par with you and your family.

It isn't easy, but we do it because we love our kids, correct? Don't worry, one day they will more than understand and appreciate what we do for them, especially when it is their turn...

Reply #505995 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:19 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754